Elder Scrolls Lore » Discussions


Arms and Armor of the Second Era: High Elves

  • Member
    October 23

    Gwen, the Last Blade said:

    I don't know about ESO as I have never played it, but I can relate to the Bretons since they are half-elf and half-man just like how I am half-French and half-Japanese. Plus, their culture and landscapes remind of where I grew up in France. And I never see Bretons get flak as much as the Altmer do and even Nords.

     

    Oooh, nifty real-life backstory! :P Anyways yeah, most races get quite a bit of hostility from certain people. Only Dunmer and Khajiit seem liked by most of the fans, and even they have detractors. I've seen lots of people hate on Bretons though.

  • October 23

    Yep :) Yeah, I do have to agree Dunmers are the only ones that if say something negative about you better prepare for a war in a sense, and the same for the Khajiits. Though if it is the Altmer or Nord you can say everything negative about them and very few defend them b/c (insert overused argument here)

  • Member
    November 24

    Ebonslayer said:

    All of the blades on both swords and daggers are far too large and look like they'd imbalance the weight but otherwise the craftsmanship is rather good on them. The leaf-shaped blade on the 4th era blades would slightly mess with thrusting but they're great during draw-cuts which I'd imagine the elves would do since they're elves and fancy. The axes seem to be mostly fine as well but they're more halberds than axes, even the small ones are more shaped like a halberd's blade than a hand axe, I do enjoy the thrusting point though. The maces are utter shit, they look more for cleaving than for blunt impact. The 4th era hammer's head is far too small, if it was a few inches larger and the point was an actual spike it'd make for a great lucerne.

     

    Honestly, the High Elves seem like they love some stabbing. Both the halberd-esque axes (damn, was meaning to mention that in the article, but completely forgot) and the staves have some nice stab potential, even if the staff has those wings that would get in the way. As for the maces, well, who's to say that, from a story standpoint, it wasn't the intent for them to be cleavers? Obviously, from a techincal standpoint, it's impractical to make new animations for every weapon style, but I can totally see Altmer using cleavers.

  • Member
    November 24

    Tenebrous said:

    Honestly, the High Elves seem like they love some stabbing. Both the halberd-esque axes (damn, was meaning to mention that in the article, but completely forgot) and the staves have some nice stab potential, even if the staff has those wings that would get in the way. As for the maces, well, who's to say that, from a story standpoint, it wasn't the intent for them to be cleavers? Obviously, from a techincal standpoint, it's impractical to make new animations for every weapon style, but I can totally see Altmer using cleavers.

    The maces definitely aren't cleavers, the blades have too much curve and aren't long enough to even vaguely resmble one. To me, it looks like someone thought it was a good idea to put 4 axe blades in a cross or triangular shape on a small handle and call it a mace. The mace part fails in that regard, since the mace is built to deliver complete blunt impact through armor, something an axe can't do as effectively. Hell, I'm sure even the stick itself would be a better mace than what it is right now if you hit hard enough, though I'd prefer it to be a little wider or a lot longer so as to function as either a quarterstaff or club.

     

  • Member
    November 24

    Ebonslayer said:

    The maces definitely aren't cleavers, the blades have too much curve and aren't long enough to even vaguely resmble one. To me, it looks like someone thought it was a good idea to put 4 axe blades in a cross or triangular shape on a small handle and call it a mace. The mace part fails in that regard, since the mace is built to deliver complete blunt impact through armor, something an axe can't do as effectively. Hell, I'm sure even the stick itself would be a better mace than what it is right now if you hit hard enough, though I'd prefer it to be a little wider or a lot longer so as to function as either a quarterstaff or club.

     

     

    Ah, I see! Perhaps the High Elves don't make maces too often, lore-wise... Or Zenimax and Bethesda just had a brain-fart. :P

  • Member
    November 24

    Tenebrous said:

    Ah, I see! Perhaps the High Elves don't make maces too often, lore-wise... Or Zenimax and Bethesda just had a brain-fart. :P

    I think it was because Bethesda and Zenimax want stuff to look cool. I mean, look at the Daedric weapons of Skyrim, there are sharp points pointing towards the wielder which is just begging to get yourself stabbed by your hilt and the lacerations on the blades would merely get caught on what you're trying to attack, even soft clothes can just bunch up between the lacerations and not only protect the wearer from most of the harm but also get your weapon stuck. It looks cool but practicality can go out the window, most of the gaming community can't tell practicality from coolness anyway, so long as it looks dangerous they're fine with it.