Forums » Elder Scrolls

Werewolves in Skyrim

• 10 posts
    May 30, 2012 11:50 AM EDT

How do you think Bethesda did with werewolves in Skyrim? 

Personally, I think they could have done better. They talked about being able to find werewolves in the wild and them being able to give you the disease, and they were supposed to be incredibly strong. But none of that was true. To become a werewolf all that you had to do was complete a few easy quests, that you could do in less than an hour. I was even more disapointed when I was killed in a few seconds when my character got to level twenty.

Do you think they did a good job?

• 14 posts
    May 30, 2012 11:54 AM EDT

I think they're fun for a while, but there's no real substance to it, no possible advancements, very limited quests related to it etc. I think they just chucked it in there for the sake of it if i'm honest!

• 856 posts
    May 30, 2012 12:11 PM EDT

I'm a bit disappointed.  Aside from the 'cool' factor, they are pointless in Skyrim.  Werewolves are fairly strong 1 on 1 (due to their stagger ability); but more than that it's a bit silly.  I only turned into a werewolf once (outside the quest), and I nearly died from two opponents that I could easily defeat without turning.  Since I play 'dead is dead', I never tried the form again.

Also an occassional random werewolf in the wilds would've been a nice addition.

• 144 posts
    May 30, 2012 1:14 PM EDT

I think there is a lot of potential, but they need to give us a reason to become a werewolf other than just giving us more companion quests. while unlikely, a skill tree for them would help, the ability to pick up items, use the map. just because your in wolf form, doesn't mean you can't be intelligent.

• 67 posts
    May 31, 2012 4:12 AM EDT

I completely agree, the werewolves were dissapointing. They felt underpowered, when i tried to take on a forsworn camp as one i was mullered and the fact you cant pick things up or look at the map was also dissapointing. What made it worse was the fact that Bethesda were very quiet about them and they were meant to be a big wow factor, something held back for the release of Skyrim....OR....they were only added very late to Skyrim in which case it is explained why they are what they are. I would like to see some kind of improvement for them released in Dawnguard.

• 5 posts
    May 31, 2012 5:51 AM EDT

I think the idea has been implemented fairly well. If you consider it as a power rather than a way of "being" then it's a fairly unique and enjoyable option. Like many have said, it's not ideal for taking on large groups, but timing your transformations can make certain situations much easier to deal with, and flinging people around like dolls makes you feel powerful. It's not got as much substance as being a vampire, but I think it's a fun dynamic. Sure there's plenty of ways they could have improved it, such as some means of leveling and becoming more powerful like vampires do without feeding. I think using weapons probably wouldn't work; you have massive claws that realistically couldn't grip things easily, and are strong, fast moving weapons in their own right. Likewise with picking up items; it's a trade off, and you can come back after your hunt to collect loot. Checking the map, however, should be allowed simply for ease of gameplay. 

When hunting packs of people, such as a Forsworn camp, or a bandit fortress it's important to keep on the move and knock as many active enemies to the ground then pick them off one by one, feeding when you have a moment. It's hard, but turning shouldn't be synonymous with invincibility. You have immense strength and speed, but you are still susceptible to damage. A fair trade in my opinion. If it'd been a god-mode power then it'd be equally disappointing: there'd be no choice to make, just turn and kill everything risk free.

• 28 posts
    May 31, 2012 9:50 AM EDT

I used it a few times and soon realised that I was likely to die more often than not. I mean, maybe at low levels being a werewolf could be helpful but once you've got some decent armour and a good weapon there's no point at all is there? The only thing I've been using it for recently is (since I barely use quicktravel) for the extra speed and stamina you get, as long as a dragon doesn't take interest it's a pretty quick way of travelling.