Forums » The Lounge

My Thoughts on Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

• 33 posts
    May 22, 2020 11:17 PM EDT

Okay, so Sonic, in my honest opinion, is the coolest, and my favorite, video game character ever. (I know what you are thinking "but, what about Nintendo's mascot? He has to count for something right?" Again this is just my opinion.) I won't hold it against you if you side with Nntendo's plumber mascot over sega's speedy blue rodent. Anyway, on to the point of this discussion.

I have loved Sonic ever since he came onto the gaming scene on November 24, 1991. Now I wouldn't call myself the biggest sonic fan as I am sure there are people out there that have way more sonic memorabilia than I do (I only have the games and a few other sonic related items.) When I first played Sonic the Hedgehog in the fall of 1991 when I was 4 years old I did not think a pixelated character could have such an impact on my life...boy was I wrong. I have since played every sonic game from the genesis onward, I skipped the nintendo ds games because I did not have one, and sufficed to say, I loved, and still love, playing and replaying the games. My favorite Sonic game has to be Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Everyone seems to like playing old games because of nostalgia, but I just play and replay games, new and old for the sole purpose that I enjoy playing them. When I was that 4 year old kid, I never imagined my childhood pixelated hero would EVER in a million years be turned into a full length film.

I'll admit, when I first saw the first offical trailer I thought the same as most othe Sonic fans, "this movie is going to suck." But when the studio behind the film, Paramount, listened to the complaining fans and fixed Sonic's design. He looked closer to the video game character I have grown to love. 

Then Paramount released a new trailer in November 2019 with a newly revamped Sonic design that made me actually WANT to see the moviee instead of  justing wanting to see the movie because of who was playing Dr. Robotnik/Eggman. The trailer showcased the movie without giving anything away. I was so excited for this movie that I watched the new trailer four times, I went to the theater, which was packed full of Sonic fans, and I was grinning like a complete idiot throughout the entire movie.

TThe movie made me laugh at some parts and cry at others, I will avoid spoilers for those of you who have not seen the movie yeet. I will say this though, if you are a fan of the blue blur, go and buy or rent the dvd or digital copy of the movie, both of which are out now, and I assure you that you will not be disappointed. Watch the movie even if you are not a Sonic fan and you will enjoy it just as if you were a fan, again I am not saying this movie will make you into a fan if you are not. 

There are so many hidden suprises and easter eggs in the movie for Sonic the Hedgehog fans that I am shock the movie is not longer than its running time of almost two hours. There are also new faces not scene in any sonic media like a certain owl tthat appears in the movie. 

Jim Carrey, I felt, brought a unique spin to Robotnik in this movie. His version of Robotnik nails it on his genius IQ and his love of machinery. While he does not have tthe rotundness of the Robotnik/Eggman in the games, I feel he did a nice job, he is one of my favorite actors. It was refreshing to see Jim harkon back to his earlier roles in his career and did not just give us fans a half-baked attempt at comedy like in his more recent movies. Nope, he is back to superior form with his rather unique portrayal of Dr. Robotnik. I feel that he also added a nice touch with his 'I am above humanity' twist to the role. He was really spot on in portaying the evil doctor's meglomania and deeply narcassistic personality. Overall, he did a really good job at delivering the villian that is the joker to Sonic's Batman.

I would like to hear your thoughts. If you saw the movie, what did you like about it? What was your favorite scene? What is your favorite memory of Sonic the Hedgehog? (assuming you've played the games that is). What is your favorite Sonic game? (classic or modern) Which Sonic cartoon was/is your favorite?

This post was edited by Hasir at May 24, 2020 2:05 PM EDT
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 24, 2020 12:55 PM EDT

Glad you enjoyed it! I haven't seen it yet, but I do remember being surprised at how much attention and success the movie garnered. After that initial controversy, I expected it to flop, and now it looks like it might herald a new wave of video game movies.

I'm happy to see Jim Carrey again, it feels like he wasn't in any big movie for quite some time, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention... I think his last movie that I saw was... "Yes man" or something like that, with Zoey Deschanel. It was a lovely little movie.