Forums » The Lounge

What are you looking forward to right now?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 20, 2020 10:52 AM EDT

Hey all! In these unusual times, it's good to connect with people and discuss what we are actually looking forward to in the future. A book, a game, show, movie, the end of quarantine and what you'll be doing then: travelling, going to a movie theater, gym, visiting an older relative... Anything that makes you smile when you stop to think about how good or how much you want it. Positive thoughts!

And since we used to have regular forum discussions on the site back then where we could interact with each other outside of Discord, and have deeper conversations where we could sit on a reply for a while, I'm trying to restart that tradition. We could use more activity here. 

So, I'll start. In a loose chronological order:

Tomorrow marks the release of the Total Waaagh! update for Total War Warhammer 2, alongside The Warden and the Paunch DLC. I've been anticipating a rework for the Greenskins (orcs and goblins of Warhammer) for years, and held off starting a campaign as them because I knew it was coming, eventually. To see it finally arrive is exciting, I've spent many quality hours playing Total War over the years, and one of my favorite playthroughs back in Warhammer 1 was with Skarsnik the Night Goblin.

I'll be going back to Warhammer 2 with Grom, but Eltharion (elf batman) and the free DLC Imrik look just as promising.

Here's a trailer:

While I haven't purchased the next thing I'm looking forward to (the price is quite salty to me), next week Mortal Kombat 11 will receive its first story expansion ever in the history of Mortal Kombat, Aftermath! Aftermath will also bring Fujin, a character I've been looking forward to years. I used to play him back in Mortal Kombat 4, and since then I didn't have a chance to play as the wind god again, with him being missing from MK9 and MKX. 

I'm also looking forward to having a different set of protagonists, all of whom are characters I love: Fujin, Nightwolf and the ultimate Shang Tsung portrayed by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. Sindel, who unexpectedly became my most played fighter in MK11 will also feature (she took a spot that for years belonged to Johnny Cage, and surpassed others that would regularly feature in my second place like Nightwolf and Liu Kang).

On a less gory and violent note, here's the lovely "Friendships" trailer for MK11. Friendships are coming in a free update with Aftermath: 

I'm also kind of looking forward to the end of quarantine. I'm in a position where I can and have enjoyed being at home (since I can work from home), closer to most of my family members, and most importantly, back in my hometown, away from the hectic lifestyle of the big city. However, a part of me misses normal life (though it doesn't miss the big city!) 

But still, I look forward to going to the gym again, going to work (since working from home isn't the same and I feel less productive), talking with people and friends directly and not through a microphone on my computer... on a brighter note, we're not forbiden to leave our homes, so things like hiking in the nature is possible, and there's a beautiful park near me, though one of its main attractions, a series of waterfalls where you can walk over it or swim under one of them, isn't really a good idea right now, since it's cold in Brazil this time of year!

I've been waiting for The Winds of Winter by George R. R. Martin too. But I've been waiting for that since I finished A Dance with Dragons years ago, so that's a constant in my life...

So, what are you looking forward to right now?

This post was edited by Mr. at May 20, 2020 12:11 PM EDT
    • 50 posts
    May 20, 2020 2:36 PM EDT

I too think it's quiet in here, as you say not many want to have casual conversations anymore. Personally, I'm looking forward to the end of this damn coronavirus thing. We have only just been allowed to leave our homes for non essential travel and are allowed to travel further for recreation and other activities than we could 2 weeks ago. We are also being encouraged to return to work but I'm still on furlough as the company I work for has no work for me as my job relies on sporting events with large crowds. 

I've kind of got used to being at home and have mixed feelings about returning to work. I've not seen any family or friends since 23rd of March so I'm definitley looking forward to seeing them. I'm meeting up with my dad tomorrow but I'm not allowed to go within 2 metres of him but at least we will be able have a chat. Otherwise if I'm not going back to work till maybe October I don't have much to do other than play some more games. I'm an electronics hobbyist and I have spent the last couple of months finishing some projects I had been meaning to finish for a while.

Games wise I'm looking forward to the ESO Greymoor chapter and I still need to get round to playing red dead redemption 2. I'm not sure what will happen over the next few months so I will have to wait and see. But I will be glad to get back to a normal routine.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 20, 2020 3:06 PM EDT

Teekus said:

I too think it's quiet in here, as you say not many want to have casual conversations anymore. Personally, I'm looking forward to the end of this damn coronavirus thing. We have only just been allowed to leave our homes for non essential travel and are allowed to travel further for recreation and other activities than we could 2 weeks ago. We are also being encouraged to return to work but I'm still on furlough as the company I work for has no work for me as my job relies on sporting events with large crowds. 

I've kind of got used to being at home and have mixed feelings about returning to work. I've not seen any family or friends since 23rd of March so I'm definitley looking forward to seeing them. I'm meeting up with my dad tomorrow but I'm not allowed to go within 2 metres of him but at least we will be able have a chat. Otherwise if I'm not going back to work till maybe October I don't have much to do other than play some more games. I'm an electronics hobbyist and I have spent the last couple of months finishing some projects I had been meaning to finish for a while.

Games wise I'm looking forward to the ESO Greymoor chapter and I still need to get round to playing red dead redemption 2. I'm not sure what will happen over the next few months so I will have to wait and see. But I will be glad to get back to a normal routine.

Yeah, it's pretty tough the whole social distancing thing, but I'm glad you'll be able to see your dad tomorrow.

Playing games and completing projects is a great way to spend this time, I've been playing some Mortal Kombat 11 myself, and will be playing a lot of Total War Warhammer 2 for the next few days after tomorrow, but I'm also tempted to get back to either Skyrim or Fallout again now that I have some more time. I miss open world games! Haven't done much in the way of personal projects though, since I'm still working almost full-time.

Greymoor definitely looks interesting, though I haven't gotten into ESO as I fear I either won't like it or will be completely consumed by it. I guess a halfway/compromise could be to just read about the story/lore, as I remember some people saying the new lore is good.

• 1595 posts
    May 21, 2020 7:12 AM EDT

It's been a weird time for a lot of people but my routine has stayed pretty much the same except for an increase in difficulty and workload. I guess it's led to a greater disconnect with reality than usual, and very apparent that I struggle to keep up with things. With so many people with so much more time on their hands versus me with so much less time than normal, I'm finding I'm really having difficulty keeping my head above water, and days pass so swiftly that I lose track of so much.

Thankfully, I'm on holiday now and taking a long old break from work so I can enjoy that which the rest of the country loathes so much - peace and quiet :D It's funny, I've been looking forward to this break for months, but now it's here I've just slept through the first couple of days of it and am now starting to actually think about what to do with my time and what to look forward to next.

I guess I'm excited for ESO Greymoor, although that's a very tempered excitement compared to what it was earlier in the year. I'm looking forward to the Swordthane outfit style, new Nord lore and exploring Western Skyrim, but I fear the whole vampire and Dark Heart storyline is so not my cup of tea that it'll be like Skyrim's Dawnguard dlc all over again and leave me feeling a bit "meh". I can't lie, the new main theme just doesn't do it for me:

But we'll see! Hopefully I'll surprise myself and get totally sucked in.

• 627 posts
    May 21, 2020 7:54 AM EDT

First off I'm looking forward to being able to see my Clients without having to wear a face mask and gloves; not having my glasses fog up will be an added benefit of this. It'll also mean I can drive them places while also being able to see and I wont have to wash my hands before getting into my car after a shift for fear of leaving white handprints everywhere. Admittedly not much has changed for me with the quarantine as I'm an essential service and even before it I would spend most of my time at home anyway outside of the time I spend in my Client's homes. 

Much like Paws and Teekus I'm looking forward to Greymoor. At this point it's because I've got a character idea that I'm holding off on because I want to do the new tutorial; on a side not we should be able to do the tutorial quests on existing characters, and a couple of other characters who need either the chapter or update for their stories to continue.

• 321 posts
    May 21, 2020 12:06 PM EDT

Well Eid al-Fitr is just around the corner, which means pocket money from relatives, which means more games to buy. Of course with the Coronavirus, it'll be a weird Eid. It's going to be like Christmas except fewer relatives visiting and no inter-state/county travel... which means less pocket money.

Gaming-wise, I'll be looking forward to Greymoor like the rest. I'm more interested on the new lore rather than the main plot. Hope the side-quests will also be just as interesting. Can't wait to interact with the characters featured in the Meet the Character articles. Also... Rigurt better be there. It ain't gonna be a Skyrim-centric expansion without our favorite Nord cultural ambassador.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 21, 2020 8:28 PM EDT

Paws said:

It's been a weird time for a lot of people but my routine has stayed pretty much the same except for an increase in difficulty and workload. I guess it's led to a greater disconnect with reality than usual, and very apparent that I struggle to keep up with things. With so many people with so much more time on their hands versus me with so much less time than normal, I'm finding I'm really having difficulty keeping my head above water, and days pass so swiftly that I lose track of so much.

Thankfully, I'm on holiday now and taking a long old break from work so I can enjoy that which the rest of the country loathes so much - peace and quiet :D It's funny, I've been looking forward to this break for months, but now it's here I've just slept through the first couple of days of it and am now starting to actually think about what to do with my time and what to look forward to next.

I guess I'm excited for ESO Greymoor, although that's a very tempered excitement compared to what it was earlier in the year. I'm looking forward to the Swordthane outfit style, new Nord lore and exploring Western Skyrim, but I fear the whole vampire and Dark Heart storyline is so not my cup of tea that it'll be like Skyrim's Dawnguard dlc all over again and leave me feeling a bit "meh". I can't lie, the new main theme just doesn't do it for me:

But we'll see! Hopefully I'll surprise myself and get totally sucked in.

Sleeping is always welcome, especially during breaks. It's always impressive how my eyes look just before taking a longer break and how they look after said long break. You sometimes don't really notice time passing by, especially when you're keeping yourself busy, but to me, the eyes always give it away and sometimes scream in the mirror that it's time to try and get a few more hours of sleep.

Yeah, I really didn't feel that soundtrack either. As for vampires, I think it was... too soon to make an expansion centered on them, exactly because we already had Dawnguard. So not only coming back to Skyrim (which is always great for the lore, even though I don't play ESO), but coming back to a Skyrim with vampires may understandably feel a bit too familiar

• 1595 posts
    May 22, 2020 9:38 AM EDT

Teekus said:

Now you mention it, I probably should work on finishing RDR2. I hit a stage in the game where it just becomes really depressing, though. It's a strange thing, in 2010 I thrived on the Western themes and really enjoyed the impossible struggle against the inexorable march of civilisation in the first RDR. Now, in this day and age, there are moments when the game so utterly nails the feeling of complete futility, loneliness and regret that it can proper bring my mood right down. I guess that's when you know you're playing a true masterpiece.

Golden Fool said:

First off I'm looking forward to being able to see my Clients without having to wear a face mask and gloves; not having my glasses fog up will be an added benefit of this. It'll also mean I can drive them places while also being able to see and I wont have to wash my hands before getting into my car after a shift for fear of leaving white handprints everywhere. Admittedly not much has changed for me with the quarantine as I'm an essential service and even before it I would spend most of my time at home anyway outside of the time I spend in my Client's homes. 

Much like Paws and Teekus I'm looking forward to Greymoor. At this point it's because I've got a character idea that I'm holding off on because I want to do the new tutorial; on a side not we should be able to do the tutorial quests on existing characters, and a couple of other characters who need either the chapter or update for their stories to continue.

I'm looking forward to hopefully feeling inspired to create a new character to enjoy the tutorial with. I'm totally out of ideas at this point. Probably should get on with getting Falkreath Thane for my Nord, though, and truly rock that Swordthane style.

A-Pocky-Hah! said:

Well Eid al-Fitr is just around the corner, which means pocket money from relatives, which means more games to buy. Of course with the Coronavirus, it'll be a weird Eid. It's going to be like Christmas except fewer relatives visiting and no inter-state/county travel... which means less pocket money.

Gaming-wise, I'll be looking forward to Greymoor like the rest. I'm more interested on the new lore rather than the main plot. Hope the side-quests will also be just as interesting. Can't wait to interact with the characters featured in the Meet the Character articles. Also... Rigurt better be there. It ain't gonna be a Skyrim-centric expansion without our favorite Nord cultural ambassador.

Happy Eid al-Fitr Pocky! Yeah, I'm certain we'll get more Rigurt the Brash. Can't wait for that :D

Mr. Edd said:

Sleeping is always welcome, especially during breaks. It's always impressive how my eyes look just before taking a longer break and how they look after said long break. You sometimes don't really notice time passing by, especially when you're keeping yourself busy, but to me, the eyes always give it away and sometimes scream in the mirror that it's time to try and get a few more hours of sleep.

Yeah, I really didn't feel that soundtrack either. As for vampires, I think it was... too soon to make an expansion centered on them, exactly because we already had Dawnguard. So not only coming back to Skyrim (which is always great for the lore, even though I don't play ESO), but coming back to a Skyrim with vampires may understandably feel a bit too familiar

Totally hear that! The dark shadows are slowly receding, but it's my hair I'm now worried about. Shit's out of hand now :D

I've got total faith in the ESO writers to deliver something amazing, don't get me wrong. ESO has always been great at delivering the depth that recent TES games lack. By virtue of having long dialogues, great voice acting and stellar writing, the game is less an MMO than it is a true RPG set in an MMO space. It's just that I went into previous Chapters with so many burning questions and hopes. Like, Summerset and Elsweyr were things I didn't know what to expect going in as it was the first time these places and cultures have been explored so fully - which naturally generates so many hopes and wants. With Greymoor, there is less of that feeling of entering the unknown, and more a feeling of revisiting the familiar. That's an interesting place to stand before going in because it's a place of complacency. I mean, I want more Morthal lore, I'm looking forward to seeing how Kilkreath and Meridia are portrayed and whether there's any juicy subversion going on in how to reinterpret that Prince. Other than that, though, I feel like there's nothing that will surprise me... Which tells me I'm really underestimating the dev team. At least, I hope I am! To be fair, they've already wowed me by reinterpreting Blackreach by making it so much more a part of Nordic folklore. It's like that "there be monsters" note on the edge of an old map and the feeling of excitement that can give you.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 22, 2020 6:40 PM EDT

Golden Fool said:

My father complains about his glasses getting foggy too. It must be annoying, I once went to an Airsoft match without the proper gear and had to buy one of those big, cheap plastic glasses to protect my eyes, and since I was also wearing a mask over my mouth, my sight was constantly impaired. Suffice to say that I ended up losing the game(s), but I'm not sure if that was just because of my sight.

But yeah, while I can't complain about glasses, wearing a mask alone is annoying. Hard to breath, harder to talk. 

A-Pocky-Hah! said:

Had to look up what Eid al-Fitr is! Hope  you enjoy it and have a good time! Glad to hear you'll be able to get some more games soon. I'm saving some money to buy a new GPU so I can finally play Red Dead Redemption 2 and the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077, but I might have to buy a new phone before that, sadly, as my current one is faulty. I hate having to buy phones.

This post was edited by Mr. at May 22, 2020 6:43 PM EDT
    • 627 posts
    May 22, 2020 7:30 PM EDT

Paws said:

I'm looking forward to hopefully feeling inspired to create a new character to enjoy the tutorial with. I'm totally out of ideas at this point. Probably should get on with getting Falkreath Thane for my Nord, though, and truly rock that Swordthane style.

I'm planning on creating a Nord Archeologist who is also a Necromancer. He'll commune with the dead to find out what something was, where they hid the valuables or just raise their corpses to help excavate the ruins/tomb. Also he'll be yet another attempt by me to do a dps.

• 1595 posts
    May 23, 2020 4:23 PM EDT

Golden Fool said:

I'm planning on creating a Nord Archeologist who is also a Necromancer. He'll commune with the dead to find out what something was, where they hid the valuables or just raise their corpses to help excavate the ruins/tomb. Also he'll be yet another attempt by me to do a dps.

A proper damage-dealer? Where's Goldie, and what have you done with him?

I'm picturing a Nordic Indiana Jones. "Shor's bones! It belongs in a museum, you milk-drinker."

• 627 posts
    May 24, 2020 3:13 AM EDT

Paws said:

A proper damage-dealer? Where's Goldie, and what have you done with him?

I'm picturing a Nordic Indiana Jones. "Shor's bones! It belongs in a museum, you milk-drinker."

It gets worse, he'll be using dual wield. For the outfit I'm thinking of getting it too look as close to a hammer and chisel as I can. There's only so many tanks and healers I can have that I don't really play, so I figured it was about time to have the option of playing a bad dps. He's based on Lort; from my story In Both Life and Death, with some changes. He's inherited Lilia's necromancy and may or may not be involved with Kory because I can't help but link my characters together; it helps me stick with them. 

• 1595 posts
    May 24, 2020 5:25 AM EDT

Golden Fool said:

It gets worse, he'll be using dual wield. For the outfit I'm thinking of getting it too look as close to a hammer and chisel as I can. There's only so many tanks and healers I can have that I don't really play, so I figured it was about time to have the option of playing a bad dps. He's based on Lort; from my story In Both Life and Death, with some changes. He's inherited Lilia's necromancy and may or may not be involved with Kory because I can't help but link my characters together; it helps me stick with them. 

Wait, why is dual-wield worse? I find it fun and just the change of pace needed to keep stamina dd's interesting, something mag dd's don't have unless changing the flavour of their staff counts. Stamcros are fun, too, so I don't think you'll find it a slog at all. Nord is a great race for stamina dd's, especially for solo content. I like that you've based him on Lort, and if he's involved with Korysha, it just confirms my theory that elven lasses like it Nord. It must be a cultural thing for the Altmer, like eating an Indrik heart - decadent and taboo, a kind of forbidden fruit.

I think I found my inspiration. I needed to complete one or two quests in Eastmarch in order to conclude Cadwell's Silver, one of those quests led me to Mistwatch Crevasse.

The ice caverns of Skyrim do not melt, even in Mid Year. Some say the cold that keeps them frozen wells up out of the depths of Nirn itself.

It's interesting lore, presents a fact followed by an unreliable explanation. It got me thinking about what force that cold is, like Nirn as a spiritual entity. That led to thinking about topics in which we see spiritual manifestations of ice, such as ice wraiths and wispmothers: 

Lydette Viliane of the Synod contends that Wispmothers are not undead at all, but rather elemental manifestations arising out of Nirn itself. By noting several similarities to Spriggans and Ice Wraiths, she contends that the Wispmothers are essentially elemental personifications of snow or mist, innately wielding the power of their element, instead of manipulating it through conventional sorcery. ~ The Wispmother

A line of thought such as that can only really end with the animistic shamanism of the Skaal. I find it quite compelling and refreshing for a character to see everything around them, every tree, rock, mountain, lake, or element as having a spirit.

So maybe a Nord running Ysgramor's Birthright, Winterborn, and Iceheart. I tried getting Iceheart last night but, dammit, ZOS moved the lever. Well pissed me off, I shouldn't need a group to get this helm and it's really fun to solo.

I'm also slightly tempted to go a different route and explore the idea of a Snow Elf character. Not sure how my suspension of disbelief could hold up, though.

• 627 posts
    May 24, 2020 5:46 AM EDT

Paws said:

Wait, why is dual-wield worse? I find it fun and just the change of pace needed to keep stamina dd's interesting, something mag dd's don't have unless changing the flavour of their staff counts. Stamcros are fun, too, so I don't think you'll find it a slog at all. Nord is a great race for stamina dd's, especially for solo content. I like that you've based him on Lort, and if he's involved with Korysha, it just confirms my theory that elven lasses like it Nord. It must be a cultural thing for the Altmer, like eating an Indrik heart - decadent and taboo, a kind of forbidden fruit.

Of all the dps weapons I have enjoyed dual wield the least in the past, mainly because of the light and heavy attack animations looking like the character is flailing their arms around. But I want this character to play with things I don't normally touch so a dual wielding dps would have to be the epitome of that.

Paws said:

I think I found my inspiration. I needed to complete one or two quests in Eastmarch in order to conclude Cadwell's Silver, one of those quests led me to Mistwatch Crevasse.

The ice caverns of Skyrim do not melt, even in Mid Year. Some say the cold that keeps them frozen wells up out of the depths of Nirn itself.

It's interesting lore, presents a fact followed by an unreliable explanation. It got me thinking about what force that cold is, like Nirn as a spiritual entity. That led to thinking about topics in which we see spiritual manifestations of ice, such as ice wraiths and wispmothers: 

Lydette Viliane of the Synod contends that Wispmothers are not undead at all, but rather elemental manifestations arising out of Nirn itself. By noting several similarities to Spriggans and Ice Wraiths, she contends that the Wispmothers are essentially elemental personifications of snow or mist, innately wielding the power of their element, instead of manipulating it through conventional sorcery. ~ The Wispmother

A line of thought such as that can only really end with the animistic shamanism of the Skaal. I find it quite compelling and refreshing for a character to see everything around them, every tree, rock, mountain, lake, or element as having a spirit.

So maybe a Nord running Ysgramor's Birthright, Winterborn, and Iceheart. I tried getting Iceheart last night but, dammit, ZOS moved the lever. Well pissed me off, I shouldn't need a group to get this helm and it's really fun to solo.

I'm also slightly tempted to go a different route and explore the idea of a Snow Elf character. Not sure how my suspension of disbelief could hold up, though.

A Skaal could certainly be fun to play with, especially since outfiting them became very easy with the Skaal Explorer outfit. 

• 490 posts
    May 24, 2020 9:03 AM EDT

I have a stack of books I haven't touched yet during this quarantine and hope to jump into those once my zoom classes end this week!

As far as games (lol ES6), I am a HUGE Diablo fan so I am hoping for a D2 remaster that has been rumored but will probably never happen. Diablo 4 for sure and maybe even diving into Diablo Immortal even though it's going to be mobile.