Forums » Introduce Yourself

Hello again!

• 66 posts
    October 31, 2019 1:43 PM EDT

I'm not new here, just been MIA for a few years and seeing who's new and who's still around. Work and life had become very busy and stressful, but I managed to finish paying off my student loans and save enough to travel for hopefully a year in that time. I'm chilling in an apartment in India now and am finally starting to get some time and energy back for the fun stuff, like this community :)

The Story Corner, Lore, and Art Group are the places I like to dwell here.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 2, 2019 3:00 PM EDT

Good to see you again, I can definitely understand how work and life can sometimes easily take over our free time. Hope you can stick around!

• 1467 posts
    November 4, 2019 7:43 PM EST

Sorry about the late reply but good to see you again Exuro :)

• 40 posts
    November 15, 2019 10:43 PM EST

Paid off your student loans AND saved up enough to travel? WOW. So great to hear from you again Exuro, I am definitely jealous! You've accomplished so much.

Glad to see you on the forum again. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. Hoping for a much better 2020 than the 2019 I've been having.

Welcome back!

When life calms down for me, I'd love to reach out to you for a possible story corner collab some day.

:)

• 66 posts
    November 15, 2019 11:24 PM EST
    Why did I only get an email notification from spotted fawn’s reply? Guess she’s more special :-P but thanks Mr. Edd and Dragonborn.

A collab sounds fun! And more likely than a new adwd chapter, my outline is sooo scrambled right now.

Best of luck, I’ve been finding consistency is one of life’s most important skills... and the one I’m worst at
    • 1467 posts
    November 15, 2019 11:54 PM EST

Nah, that Dragonborn guy is just usually pretty boring (though it is weird that Mr. Edd's reply didn't go through, he's a cool guy). 

• 66 posts
    November 16, 2019 12:08 AM EST
    Haha, well this one got through, so perhaps you’ve been promoted to semi-boring?
    • 284 posts
    November 17, 2019 6:34 AM EST

Good to see you, brother. Glad to hear that you  solved your problems.

• 40 posts
    November 17, 2019 1:42 PM EST

Exuro said: Why did I only get an email notification from spotted fawn’s reply? Guess she’s more special :-P but thanks Mr. Edd and Dragonborn. A collab sounds fun! And more likely than a new adwd chapter, my outline is sooo scrambled right now. Best of luck, I’ve been finding consistency is one of life’s most important skills... and the one I’m worst at

Haha, don't say stuff like that, it'll go straight to my head! What are you liking about India so far? Any cool stories to share?

About the adwd chapter, getting back into a project after being out of it for SO LONG is difficult! Feels like making that original commitment all over again. How do you have your outline set up? Paragraphs? Bullet points? I have a big messy outline that's color-coded to each main character, depending on who's story I'm telling for each particular chapter.

Even with all that, it can definitely get overwhelming!

• 66 posts
    November 17, 2019 9:59 PM EST

DeltaFox said:

Good to see you, brother. Glad to hear that you  solved your problems.

More like identified and ran away from :-P

This post was edited by Exuro at November 17, 2019 9:59 PM EST
    • 66 posts
    November 17, 2019 10:36 PM EST

SpottedFawn said:

Haha, don't say stuff like that, it'll go straight to my head! What are you liking about India so far? Any cool stories to share?

About the adwd chapter, getting back into a project after being out of it for SO LONG is difficult! Feels like making that original commitment all over again. How do you have your outline set up? Paragraphs? Bullet points? I have a big messy outline that's color-coded to each main character, depending on who's story I'm telling for each particular chapter.

Even with all that, it can definitely get overwhelming!

The food is great here and really cheap. I do have a story! I started in a remote ashram, sort of like a monastery, and started learning the 8 limbs of yoga (tes lore takes quite a bit from Hinduism), but 2 weeks in I face planted during a headstand and inflamed a nerve in a tooth that had a crown on it. Luckily US dentists always overprescribe everything and I had brought a stockpile painkillers with me while a checked out sketchy small town dentists (the surgeon was barefoot!). I didn't accept treatment and flew to Thailand the next day. The was no cell service and the power had been out all day, so I booked my tickets, hotel, and dental appointment while on a local bus to the airport. The Thai facility I went to had the same level of tech as my US dentist and the root canal and replacement crown I needed went smoothly, plus I was next to a tropical beach to recover. The cost was about half US prices. I returned to a India afterward to a different yoga studio I'd booked for a month and now I'm planning to go back to Thailand in a few weeks to train at a Muay Thai camp for another month. 

Color coding is a good idea for outlines! I have a bulleted list of only the major events and themes, a really long list from Amari's pov, and I'm using scrivener and have each chapter broken up into scenes. I usually make the chronological outline bullets first, make notes on what type of scenes to cover those bullets, start writing, organize the scenes into a chapter. I'm thinking about trying to use a mindmapping software, like coggle, to make the outline visually prettier. 

• 1467 posts
    November 19, 2019 8:27 AM EST

I was pretty interested in your conversation about planning stories, I've been planning my own story at the moment so yeah it's pretty interesting to see your thoughts on them. My personal take so far is connected Google Docs, each character has his own page, then any abilities they have connect to pages for those abilities, and so on and so forth. It's a lot easier for enabling more detailed notes which is my sort of thing (but note the telling fact that I am on word 0 of my story still...that may not be something that I ever progress past).