Forums » General Gaming

Dragonborn's E3 2019 Breakdown

• 1467 posts
    June 8, 2019 8:16 PM EDT

As many of you may know, E3 is literally just around the corner. In the past, I've run a little discussion focusing onn sharing news and discussing it as the various companies live stream their shows and this year I've planned to do the same. Technically it sorta started earlier today with EA Play but unfortunetly it didn't have much news (if any) about new games, and it was at 2AM for me and I just couldn't be up for that. 

However, over the next week or so we're going to be getting news from Microsoft, Bethesda, Ubisofy, Square Enix and Nintendo. Not a massive list and missing notable names like SONY *sobbing uncontrollably*. But there's still a lot of interesting news that can come out of this E3, so if you want to watch any of the streams and chat about them here, there's the E3 Show Schedule for you. It will differ based on your time zone and all that, but you'll have to check the specifics for yourself. 

While the main thrust of the discussion I'll be directing will take place on-site, we do have the Tamriel Vault Discord which will be opening a special E3 channel purely to talk about the new games, or other news announced this year. Definitely recommend you give that a shot and consider joining in on the fun there :D

For a fun trip down memory lane, last year's E3 stuff was still partially stickied, so if you wanted to give it a read then go ahead and follow these links. Sony E3, 2018  |  Bethesda E3 2018  |  Nintendo E3 2018. Also good for seeing how we're going to be tackling it format-wise because I'm more or less going to do the same thing as last year but with this as a central hub.

Links to Individual Announcement Threads

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at June 12, 2019 2:43 AM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    June 8, 2019 8:21 PM EDT

The first real news we've gotten from E3, is less news and just a demonstration of the Gameplay in Jedi: Fallen Order. I'm only just watching it now but it's nice to see some news about what this game could be equated to. Some were wondering if it'd be more similar to Force Unleashed, the Jedi Knight series or just something completely new and it feels like the third might be true (by that I just mean new for a Star Wars game, obviously it's very rare to find a completely unique game these days). Still, it's potentially great news for any Star Wars fan because we haven't had a real game in years.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    June 9, 2019 12:04 AM EDT

Huh. The only thing I'm really looking forward to this year is more Cyberpunk 2077. I still have to get a new GPU/monitor (probably going to take me around a year or something), but the rest is ready for it. Don't think my old 970 will be able to handle it. Other than that, the other game I was looking forward to was already released (Total War Three Kingdoms) to critical/financial/popular acclaim (people say it's among the, if not the best historical Total War game, some even claim it's even better than Warhammer 1/2, and that's saying a lot to me).

I don't think we can expect anything from Bethesda Game Studios.

Maybe Dishonored 3 will be announced. That would be nice.

• 1467 posts
    June 9, 2019 2:29 AM EDT

Huh. The only thing I'm really looking forward to this year is more Cyberpunk 2077. I still have to get a new GPU/monitor (probably going to take me around a year or something), but the rest is ready for it. Don't think my old 970 will be able to handle it. Other than that, the other game I was looking forward to was already released (Total War Three Kingdoms) to critical/financial/popular acclaim (people say it's among the, if not the best historical Total War game, some even claim it's even better than Warhammer 1/2, and that's saying a lot to me).

I'm just not sure if I need more Cyberpunk news you know. I'm already 100% sold on the game so anything else they release might just wander a bit too close to spoiler news for me. Obviously a release date would be nice but that doesn't feel likely. 

Not personally a Total War fan but I have heard that Three Kingdoms was excellent...To be fair I think you've told me that about 6 times now so there's a lot of it :P I'm sorta the same as well, Sekiro was my big game of the year so unless I get confirmation that The Outer Worlds will be released this year, I don't know if there's much I'm actually excited for. Course, that does give me room to be surprised but, yeah.

I don't think we can expect anything from Bethesda Game Studios.

Maybe Dishonored 3 will be announced. That would be nice.

I'm mostly just going to be shadowing what most people are assuming but Rage 2 and Doom: Eternal are probably both guarentees from it. I am sorta excited for Doom: Eternal because the remake was actually really solid, but it's not going to be massive. We might get something related to Prey and I do like the idea of Dishonored 3, even if I haven't finished 2 yet (and just didn't enjoy it). I think they'd need to make a pretty massive change to the series though, maybe not the movement or gameplay but I think it's one game that would work really well with a more open-world format. Just within a city (anymore and it's ridiculous) that's as large as the two we've already been in, but if the whole place is open rather than being cut up into missions it might make for a more engaging game.

I think the big thing for Bethesda at E3 is going to be Elder Scrolls Online. With Elsweyr just released they can tease the next chapter (about as briefly as they did TES6), and release more of the Year of the Dragon content, or at least news about it. I also wouldn't be surprised at more mobile games, or at least news about the current ones. I know they've just released Blades but it seems to be something Bethesda is trying to work on.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    June 9, 2019 2:47 PM EDT

Damn have I talked about Three Kingdoms that much?

I just want to see a Cyberpunk 2077 trailer/gameplay at night, really. It must be beautiful.

As for the Outer Worlds, all my hype died when they announced it would be an Epic exclusive for one year. I'm not going anywhere near The Outer Worlds now, at least not until it hits Steam and is really, really cheap.

I haven't played the Doom remake yet, but both it and the sequel do seem like a lot of fun. And I enjoy the soundtrack for the first one.

I feel like Dishonored and its DLCs were certainly stronger than Dishonored 2, but I quite enjoyed the sequel. I love the world they've built in the franchise, and Emily has some great powers... Not to mention that Delilah and the witches are dreadful, mystic and creepy antagonists, which contrasts well to the first game's human antagonists. That said, maybe that's one of the reasons why the first game is stronger than the second: the feeling of being an outsider, a supernatural entity lurking in the shadows that is feared by your enemies... well, it's quite the feeling, and it is somehow mitigated when you're facing beings that are just as supernatural and creepy as you are.

• 1467 posts
    June 9, 2019 4:13 PM EDT

Here's a link to my Microsoft Briefing, nothing major has been revealed yet except possibly Minecraft Dungeons but it's worth watching.

• 1467 posts
    June 9, 2019 6:20 PM EDT

Damn have I talked about Three Kingdoms that much?

Maybe a bit yeah, but that's awesome :D I really kinda want to try at least one of the games (I think I might own Rome) because of how much you seem to enjoy them :)

I just want to see a Cyberpunk 2077 trailer/gameplay at night, really. It must be beautiful.

As for the Outer Worlds, all my hype died when they announced it would be an Epic exclusive for one year. I'm not going anywhere near The Outer Worlds now, at least not until it hits Steam and is really, really cheap.

Shit wasn't actually aware of that. I mean, it's also on the Microsoft Store at launch but yeah that still absolutely sucks. I don't really understand the concept because it does mean that some people won't/can't buy it on release. I get console exclusivity on launch, but not this sort of thing.

I haven't played the Doom remake yet, but both it and the sequel do seem like a lot of fun. And I enjoy the soundtrack for the first one.

I mean, it's exactly what it says you know. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than a shooter with a bit of story between blowing aliens (or demons or whatever) up and being an absolute badass. It's fun in small doses, and just...you know Doom-y. 

I feel like Dishonored and its DLCs were certainly stronger than Dishonored 2, but I quite enjoyed the sequel. I love the world they've built in the franchise, and Emily has some great powers... Not to mention that Delilah and the witches are dreadful, mystic and creepy antagonists, which contrasts well to the first game's human antagonists. That said, maybe that's one of the reasons why the first game is stronger than the second: the feeling of being an outsider, a supernatural entity lurking in the shadows that is feared by your enemies... well, it's quite the feeling, and it is somehow mitigated when you're facing beings that are just as supernatural and creepy as you are.

I think the goal of the first game felt a bit more...urgent. Not sure if that's the correct way to say what I mean but I really thought that rescuing Emily was done extremely well and felt like a proper goal. Then there's a bit of a revenge plot I guess, but the entire thing feels very purposeful from start to finish. I never really felt that with Dishonored 2, though to be fair I didn't give it much time to sway me over. 

• 1467 posts
    June 9, 2019 7:55 PM EDT

Alright guys, coverage for the Bethesda Event will start in around 15-20 minutes. The event itself doesn't start for closer to 30 minutes, but want to get the thread set up a bit quicker than the last one (which I didn't get really started until about 3 minutes into the conference. Didn't miss anything but meant I was in a rush to get stuff posted). 

• 1467 posts
    June 10, 2019 4:19 PM EDT

Ubisoft is currently live.