Forums » The Lounge

POLL: Who will win the Game of Thrones?

• 773 posts
    May 1, 2019 11:38 AM EDT

Well, here is something a bit different

In honour of the final few episodes of the epic 'Game of Thrones' - not to mention the threads that are currently populating our forum - here is a one-off poll asking that big question that is on everyone's mind right now

Who will end up sitting on the iron throne in a few episodes time? In other words Who will win the Game of Thrones?

I've put the most obvious candidates in the poll - albeit the writers could throw a curve ball and someone totally different could end up sitting on the throne.... Qyburn anyone? Or even Euron Greyjoy (please....NO!!!). Make a case for another person if you like, and click 'someone else I will mention on the thread'

Happy speculating!

• 1467 posts
    May 2, 2019 2:21 AM EDT

Ulfric Stormcloak for High King of Skyrim? Oh wait, the Ruby Throne maybe, it's an ESO question? 

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at May 2, 2019 2:23 AM EDT
    • 627 posts
    May 2, 2019 2:33 AM EDT

The Dragons, it has to be the Dragons. What chance do normal people have against a giant flying lizard? But honestly I have no idea, I've not watched the show and am instead still waiting for the next book which will never be released :(

• 321 posts
    May 2, 2019 5:34 AM EDT
    The answer is obviously Hodor who'll come back from the dead as a champion of the Lord of the Light under the name HODOR. He'll seize the Iron Throne, rename the Seven Kingdoms as the Seven Hodors and rule under the Lord of Light's name.

Honestly I don't know. I just want to see a good massacre. :P
    Also, I heard somewhere that GRRM said he'll consider the TV series ending as canon if he can't finish writing the last two books in his lifetime (hopefully he can).
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 2, 2019 4:19 PM EDT

I don't think there will be an Iron Throne left, either physically or especially as an institution. That said, I'm confident Sansa will end up as some kind of ruler, be it as Queen of the North, Vale and Riverlands or the Seven Kingdoms or something else.

• 197 posts
    May 2, 2019 5:07 PM EDT

Honestly, no clue. They’ve given some hints that there won’t be anyone on the Iron Throne, or even an Iron Throne or a Westeros left. At least, not like we know them now. A season or two ago, can’t remember when, Danerys is talking to Tyrion and says all the families vying for the throne are like spokes in a wheel, rising and falling with their fortunes as the wheel spins. And Tyrion says many people have tried to stop the wheel, that it’s a dream. Danerys says she doesn’t want to stop the wheel, she wants to break it. Now, this could just be her Targaryen-ness coming through, and she might be talking about ruling unquestionably with no need for a wheel at all. But she might be talking about something else - or rather, the writers want us to think about it in a different way. 

There’s certainly arguments to be made for anyone, really. Jon should have it not because of his bloodline but because he doesn’t really want it. Danerys should have it because she’s worked so hard to get to where we are now. Sansa has learned a lot through watching good leaders and bad, and is smart and compassionate. Tyrion, the same. Arya is a badass who takes no shit from nobody. The list goes on. Then again, they might just keep Cersei on the throne, redneck sex pirate by her side, just to show us that life sometimes works out that way. Who really knows? 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 2, 2019 5:25 PM EDT

Golden Fool said:

The Dragons, it has to be the Dragons. What chance do normal people have against a giant flying lizard? But honestly I have no idea, I've not watched the show and am instead still waiting for the next book which will never be released :(

You haven't watched the show at all, or stopped watching it after it started messing up the characters/story?

• 627 posts
    May 2, 2019 9:54 PM EDT

Mr. Edd said:

You haven't watched the show at all, or stopped watching it after it started messing up the characters/story?

I've not watched it at all. A friend lent me the first couple of books several years ago, I can't remember if it was before or after the show started... probably just after. I'd not had any interest in it before I borrowed the books and by the time I'd read all the books I didn't really feel like watching everything I'd just read.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 7, 2019 7:48 PM EDT

I figured it out: given that the writers went on record saying they like to "subvert expectations" for the sake of "subverting expectations",  there's only one answer...

• 11 posts
    May 7, 2019 9:44 PM EDT

Golden Fool said:

Me too. Honestly, I don't expect Himself to finish them, even at the final assembly phase it would be a massive amount of work for something you are "over". I much prefer the written word to visual stories, but eventually I will grit my teeth and watch the whole series. Despite trying not to, I'm sure I will become aware of the right answer to your question.

• 197 posts
    May 7, 2019 10:16 PM EDT
    I’m going to go out on a limb, after the last couple of episodes, and put my money on Bran. Why? Because they’ve built him up over the past few seasons as having a role to play, and so far it’s been disappointing. I have my guesses as to what’s going to happen to the rest of the main players in Westeros, and maybe that would be a great topic for discussion in a spoiler-warned zone. But I don’t really have one for Bran. So I’m guessing Bran. How’s that for subverting expectations, Mr. Edd? ;)
    • 321 posts
    May 7, 2019 10:40 PM EDT
    Dunno Bran, to me, looks like someone who'd spend all his time among the Weirwoods and be a crow all day. Y'know like those Bosmer tree hippies.
    • 197 posts
    May 7, 2019 11:23 PM EDT
    Exactly. Like a crow. Or...like a fox?? I think the oddsmakers (which is crazy in its own right, that oddsmakers have odds on this) have him in favor to win. I’m trying (badly) to reason out why!
    • 773 posts
    May 20, 2019 10:56 AM EDT

Not a lot of point in leaving this poll up now ;) 

For the record, the result was...

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 20, 2019 11:20 PM EDT

(spoilers for the last episode)

ilani guessed it right!

This post was edited by Mr. at May 20, 2019 11:20 PM EDT
    • 197 posts
    May 20, 2019 11:50 PM EDT

The oddsmakers were the winners, I think. I looked around today and there were soooo many leaks that spelled out the last few episodes just scene for scene. Apparently, they have some editors who need a lesson in shutting the hell up. 

• 773 posts
    May 21, 2019 5:00 PM EDT

Mr. Edd said:

ilani guessed it right!

You could make a case that Sansa actually 'won'

She gets to be Queen of her home region, doesnt have to live in Kings Landing with a bunch of schemers, doesn't have to have Tyrion 'I made a mistake' Lannister as her Hand. doesnt have to deal with all the problems of competing Houses.... need I go on?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 21, 2019 5:41 PM EDT

Paul said:

Mr. Edd said:

ilani guessed it right!

You could make a case that Sansa actually 'won'

She gets to be Queen of her home region, doesnt have to live in Kings Landing with a bunch of schemers, doesn't have to have Tyrion 'I made a mistake' Lannister as her Hand. doesnt have to deal with all the problems of competing Houses.... need I go on?

True. In a way, the real winners are the Starks: Bran gets to be king and do what he has been trained (or prophesized? We won't know until the books come out); Sansa manages to both satisfy the Northern wish for independence and to be in a position she enjoys (and excels at). In the end, Sansa ends up as what she always wanted to be: a Queen; Arya gets to do what she always wanted to do, to go in an adventure and be her own, free spirit; and Jon gets to go North of the Wall and live with the people he he really belongs with, the Wildlings, probably mirroring Mance Rayder (a former Night's Watch ranger that ends up being respected and trusted amongst Wildlings).

This also fits well with the first name George came up for "A Dream of Spring", the last book in the series, "A Time for Wolves". Guess it was a bit too spoilery, huh?

Even "Stark loyalists" got a good ending: Brienne is now a Knight, having fulfilled her vows to Catelyn Stark, and is now in service to her last living son and is the representation of everything a Knight should be in Westeros, as Lady Commander of the King's Guard.

The ending is growing on me, mostly because I'm rationalizing it with the books in mind, but Ramin Djawadi's music and all the talented actors and actresses, crew and directors helped!

This post was edited by Mr. at May 21, 2019 5:42 PM EDT