Forums » The Lounge

Movies/Shows you're excited for in 2019

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 4, 2019 10:53 PM EDT

Howdy.

I'm making this post because I want to share my excitement for a few things, maybe discuss it with you and know what you guys are looking forward to this year in the world of visual entertainment.

Joker

To kick things off, the trailer that motivated me to make this discussion. I can't convey how hyped I am for this movie. I'm really not one to care or notice cinematography and that kind of thing, but the camera/editing/I don't know how to call it, looks beautiful here, it looks like a "classic Golden Age Hollywood movie", if you know what I mean. It looks like... "Singing in the Rain", "A Clockwork Orange", a Charles Chaplin flick". If they don't screw up, this has the potential to be one of, if not the best comic book adaptation. Yes, I believe this can be better than "The Dark Knight".

My only hope is that they do not hold back at all. The Joker can be made understandable (not sympathetic) in the beginning, but we can't leave the theater liking him at all. He has to go full "The Killing Joke", full disgusting, evil psychopath that makes you feel bad just by watching it. The kind of twisted shit that gets Buzzfeed and Tumblr to cry about it. The kind of shit that makes someone want to leave the cinema and never watch it again. The kind of shit that makes the media and politicians go nuts and say that this movie should be banned and burned.

Ok, maybe not that far, but pretty damn close. I remember watching "A Clockwork Orange" when I was really young and feeling shitty, feeling bad and even scared. It's the same dreadful, punch-to-the-stomach feeling I had when I read "The Killing Joke" and to my surprise when I watched the 2016 animation based on it. That's how I want to feel like when watching this movie. I want to reach the end of the movie and say: "fuck this shit, I'm never watching this twisted shit again". (By the way, I still haven't watched neither "A Clockwork Orange" nor the "The Killing Joke" animation again, though I've read the comic again).

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of Quentin Tarantino. Together with Martin Scorcsese, the Coen Brothers and Christopher Nolan, he's one of my favorite directors, and the number one spot belongs to Tarantino. All of the characters I've created for my favorite game, Fallout: New Vegas, have been somewhat influenced by Tarantino one way or another (or by the same sources that influenced Tarantino, like the old classic westerns with Clint Eastwood and other old spaghetti westerns, the beautiful, legendary scores composed by Ennio Morricone...).

So yeah, clearly I'm looking forward to Quentin Tarantino's 9th movie, especially considering Tarantino has said he intends to retire after his tenth movie. The trailer looks amazing, the cast is amazing, that Bruce Lee impersonation is out of this world, Tarantino made DiCaprio dance like Travolta did in Pulp Fiction, plus Margot Robbie.

The Irishman

Speaking of Scorcese and cinema in general, together with fantasy (The Lord of the Rings movies, The Hobbit book, Star Wars) and Westerns, there's a third genre that I was introduced to when I was young that really shaped my taste for games, books, tales, movies and all things entertainment. That genre was, I'm guessing you've already guessed it, mob movies, or the mafioso genre, through the excellent and timeless The Godfather I, II and III (yes, I realize III isn't as good as the first two, but I liked it when I was little and first saw it, so it holds a special place).

It goes without saying that Scorcese + Al Pacino + Joe Pesci + De Niro + Harvey Keitel is a dream come true.

Stranger Things

Damn. This show... It's a nostalgia duck-fest that gets me everytime. It's why I love it so much, especially the first season and, after seeing the new trailer I'm not really interested on what seems to be the main "monster" this season, but just seeing these characters again... And damn, they're growing up, and it's tough. The trailer captures how I felt (and sometimes still feel) growing up, leaving your childhood behind, your city and friends behind...

This is also why I hate that Eleven-goes-to-the-edgy-rebel-punks episode in Season 2. It was so, so out there.

Titans/Doom Patrol

Titans was so fucking good. Completely unexpected, I still can't believe how much I enjoyed it, especially that "controversial" last episode. Some effects are a little off, especially on Beast, but this is probably my favorite superhero show. Not only that, but the Doom Patrol episode got me hyped for their show too, and I never even heard of them. I'm just a little bummed out that they changed the professor's actor, even though I love Timothy Dalton.

Game of Thrones

Those of you that have been around here longer probably remember that I used to discuss Game of Thrones episodes back in the day with other site members (especially... Tom, I think it was? He was one of the lore guys). As much as I'm pissed and I hate, hate, I say, what D&D have done with Stannis Baratheon, Barristan Selmy, Doran Martell, Euron Greyjoy, Littlefinger, Varys, Tyrion, Arya, the entire Dorne plotline and the entire Northern plotline, not to mention their Daenerys fanboyism and pretty much everything after D&D ran out of book material... I can't wait for the last season. There is still one more big surprise in store for us according to GRRM, of the three he told D&D (spoilers, obviously: Shireen, Hodor and... Daenerys fucking things up massively as she has been doing since the very beginning and most people just didn't know because unlike other characters we always saw events from her eyes or from people who suck up to her.

By the way, even though I really don't give any credit to award ceremonies anymore, it still pisses me off that Lena Headey and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau don't have an Emmy. Nikolaj should have won it for season 7, but he lost it to, worst of all, Peter Dinklage, who's a great actor and deserved his previous Emmy awards but... come on, his season 7 was shit, as was his character. Nikolaj/Jaime were freaking amazing. Out of this world.

I'm not hyped for Avengers

For some reason, I don't think I'll even bother going to the cinema for this one. I was really hyped for Infinity War and I loved it (the first time I saw it, anyway...), but... I don't know. Meh. Maybe all my hype was already reserved for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and now with Joker, that's the only comic book movie I'm looking forward to this year.

This post was edited by Mr. at April 4, 2019 11:12 PM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    April 5, 2019 2:39 AM EDT

So I'm a tad lazy right now and I won't be posting links or videos, but I've got a crazy long list of things to chat about. 

Avenger's Endgame

While maybe not at the top of my list (in terms of how hyped I am for it) it's something that I am so, so excited for. I thought Infinity War was amazing, in a way that I could probably argue most Marvel movies so far just weren't. I was kinda shocked that they managed to make it work at all, let alone to create a movie as good as it was. Endgame is something I'm arguably just more hyped for, even if I can't say why. I think it's just the excitement for what it could be, even if I have no real idea what will happen in the movie. 

Quick Honourable Mentions - Dark Phoenix, Hellboy, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Aladdin, Pokemon: Detective Pikachu, Toy Story 4 and Star Wars: Episode 9

These are mostly all movies that I'm theoretically excited about. I need to see more from a lot of them, and I can easily see myself being dissapointed in any of these movies but I could equally see myself loving them. Out of them all I think Spider-Man might be the best of the lot, but I'm not entirely sure and any of them could be awesome or terrible and I'm just not sure. 

John Wick: Chapter 3

I refuse to say anything else...It's John Wick, that is all.

Godzilla 2: King of Monsters

Okay so I have no idea why but I'm incredibly hyped for this and I think it's partially been increased by watching the new (ish) trailer the other day while I was at the cinemas. I've never been a huge Godzilla fan just because the movies when I was younger were shit or old (in my eyes then) but I think this could just be an awesome movie, even if it's not going to be a great movie it'll just be a lot of fun.

• 1467 posts
    April 5, 2019 3:30 AM EDT

Okay, holy shit. Just watched the Joker Trailer for the first time and I think I'm incredibly hyped for it. There's a lot that can go wrong with it, and I think the Joker is tough to balance, but yeah just...holy shit that could be awesome. I never really thought a Joker movie could work before, but yeah I think I've been swayed by that trailer.

• 1441 posts
    April 5, 2019 12:21 PM EDT
    While I may stream them later gotta agree with Joker as the trailer shows he might snap, and GOT. Most of the things I'm excited for are anime based. Lemme find them and post em here
    • 1441 posts
    April 5, 2019 1:11 PM EDT

Isekai Quartet-Basically, a crossover of Re:Zero, Overlord, Youjo Senki, and Konosuba, Yesh.

One Punch Man S2-A followup to one of the funniest superhero things I've seen? Yes please. I do enjoy how, rather than being born with the power, Saitama gained it through hard work.

Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san-A wholesome looking anime where a salaryman ends up being the roommate, albeit accidently, of an ancient Kitsune spirit, who offers to help out

Midara na Ao-chan wa Benkyou ga Dekinai-When Ao was in kindergarten, she smiled ear-to-ear as she told her classmates how her father, a bestselling erotic author, chose her name: "A as in apple and O as in orgy!" That day still haunts her ten years later as she studies with a single goal in mind: to get into an elite university and achieve independence from her father once and for all. She has no youth to misspend and no time to think about boys...until her classmate, "King Normie" Kijima, approaches her with a shocking confession of love. She tries to lose Kijima, but he just can't take a hint...and as her mind runs wild with dirty thoughts, she realizes her father has totally influenced her!

Bakumatsu: Crisis-A historical anime where the main villain appears to be the god of, among other things, storms, Susasnoo? Yes please! Even if DEEN may be, ah, rocky, I hope this is good

Lord El Melloi's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note-The anime of the adventures of older Waver Velvet? Grey? Yes please. Ah, love that it is both serious, but also keeps in tact Waver's humor

• 1441 posts
    April 5, 2019 1:13 PM EDT

To name a few

• 558 posts
    April 5, 2019 1:16 PM EDT

Basically all the movies I want to see just came out.

I want to see Dragged Across Concrete, but I'm waiting until it comes on home video on April 30th.

I want to see Shazam, and I'll probably go to the cinema in the following weeks.

• 197 posts
    April 5, 2019 1:50 PM EDT
    Movies: Avengers, Detective Pikachu, Ad Astra, Men in Black, Downton Abbey, Zombieland, Star Wars

Shows: Santa Clarita Diet, A Discovery of Witches, What We Do in the Shadows, Stranger Things
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 5, 2019 5:04 PM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

Quick Honourable Mentions - Dark Phoenix, Hellboy, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Aladdin, Pokemon: Detective Pikachu, Toy Story 4 and Star Wars: Episode 9

I completely forgot about Star Wars. That should tell you how I felt like after The Last Jedi: I'm not getting anywhere near it, at least not with money. And I'm looking forward to Spider-Man too, I really like Tom Holland's Peter Parker, and the last movie was loads of fun. I'm more excited for Spider-Man than Avengers, but less than The Joker.

@Chris I've never been into anime. I think the only ones I ever watched was Netflix's season 1 Castlevania and that movie "Your Name". Plus something a friend of mine kept pushing me to watch when I was younger, Kuroshitsuju or something, but even then I never finished it.

@ilani Zombieland! I forgot it was coming out this year. I'm definitely looking forward to it, the first movie is one of my favorites.

• 321 posts
    April 5, 2019 9:17 PM EDT

To be honest, there aren't that many movies that interest me this second half of the year as much as Alita Battle Angel did. I'll probably watch Detective Pikachu and Avengers: Endgame; the latter out of respect of finishing the series, but that's it. There's also Heaven's Feel 2 coming out on the 25th this month, so I'll definitely watch that. Also, John Wick 3

As for shows, there's only Game of Thrones for me. Same as Endgame, I'm only gonna watch it out of respect of finishing the series.

For anime, it's mainly just me catching up with the first half batch of good anime released in the year: Kaguya-sama, Rising of the Shield Hero, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, etc. I'll definitely watch Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san cause it gives me that warm slice-of-life feeling like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid did, but with more fluff.

• 1441 posts
    April 5, 2019 10:10 PM EDT
    @Mr. Edd. To each their own. What about Castlevania season 2? Also, that would be Black Butler, pretty good.
    • 33 posts
    April 6, 2019 11:48 AM EDT
    I am excited for Sonic the Hedgehog, the joker movie, Godzilla, Toy Story 4 and The Lion King. I am also excited for the Good Omens tv series and stranger things season 2
    This post was edited by Hasir at April 6, 2019 11:53 AM EDT
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 8, 2019 9:06 PM EDT

Chris said: @Mr. Edd. To each their own. What about Castlevania season 2? Also, that would be Black Butler, pretty good.

Didn't get around to seeing Castlevania season 2 yet. From a combination of a lack of time and will (as in, if I was really into it, I would find time for it, but since I'm not... Maybe I'll get around to it or won't).

• 694 posts
    April 8, 2019 9:07 PM EDT

Great question, Edd! Obviously I'm beyond stoked for the final installment of GOT. Getting through this week is torture and I can't wait for Sunday. Also really excited for the next season of Stranger Things, but I know we'll have to wait a bit longer on that one. I totally feel you on the growing up characters thing. Even the difference between season 1 and 2 was crazy! It's such a great cast and when I see video of them now looking like basically like adults it's kind of mind boggling. Still excited though!

Movies I haven't really been following much lately tbh. I used to pay more attention but it's been a minute since anything really caught my eye.

• 261 posts
    April 9, 2019 3:55 PM EDT

First and foremost on my end is Detective: Pikachu. The sheer level of world-building and nods to the source material show that the movie is made by actual fans of the franchise. Which atuomatically makes it better than pretty much every other similar live-action adaptation. Apart from that, I'm also curious about the finale of the Gotham TV show. If for no other reason than to keep seeing Cameron Monaghen's amazing Joker portrayal(s).

• 558 posts
    April 10, 2019 5:00 PM EDT

Honestly that Joker trailer looks amazing and I might see it in theaters if the reviews are any good.