Forums » General Gaming

The_Lex is streaming?

• 136 posts
    February 18, 2019 8:52 AM EST

Hello, everyone. I am going to start streaming some games in the near future. Yes, the gates of Oblivion are wide open and god knows what fresh hell will pour forth from the ensuing chaos.

Seriously, though, this idea has been bugging me since Edana made the suggestion. My goal is to have fun, get to know people better, and to share a passion for gaming.

A couple of questions, though:

1) Will you watch?

2) Will you help me pick a game? (this is why I posted in the general gaming forum). Obviously, I am heavily invested in ESO and Skyrim but I am open to suggestions. I could use existing characters, or I could start from the ground up, providing leveling tips, gear options, combat and RP tips, etc.

Any info would be helpful, even if your answer to question #1 is "no." Help a brother out! :)

• 1467 posts
    February 18, 2019 11:51 PM EST

Whoo, I can actually say that I could watch now :D 

1) Most likely, I might not catch all of the streams but I'd still aim to watch them when I can (even if I might not be the most vocal in the comments since I enjoy multi-tasking far too much) or at least watch the archived streams.

2) I'm probably a bit biased about saying ESO because I would be excited to watch you play and personally pick up some tips from watching. I'd actually be interested in seeing you use an existing character, or a new one but to be honest I'd probably assume you'd start a new Necromancer with Elsweyr so I'd probably rather see an existing character now.

What other games would you play? Because I just tend to love watching games in general so depending on what else you list I might be a bit more interested in them.

• 136 posts
    February 19, 2019 3:04 PM EST

Thanks, DB! 

• 1595 posts
    February 20, 2019 3:33 PM EST

Lex, I'd like to watch you stream. Sometimes my shift pattern makes it hard but watching you stream when I'm not at work would be a pleasure (ideally between 07:00 GMT and 23:00 GMT on days off - fairly easy to catch you).

I'd like to watch ESO content primarily. It's such a big game that there's enough content type to run in order to keep it fresh, and lots of that content I've never done. More than that, though, I think your message and outlook is the correct one. It was you (Tene and Rogue too) who were there when I took my first steps from an Elder Scrolls gamer to an Elder Scrolls Online player. I really enjoyed the solo aspect of the game and still do, but with your encouragment, I learned how enjoy the group content too.

I've already bored you too often and for too long about my thoughts, but one last time anyway :D ESO carries a great weight on its shoulders now. With people losing confidence in Bethesda and fearing for the future of TES VI, ESO is the thing keeping the dream alive. It churns out new lore, new stories, and raises the bar in terms of quality each time. More and more people turn to ESO to get their TES fix and I don't think they'll be disappointed. There has never been a better time to be an ESO player than the last twelve months.

However, sometimes I think the game lets the new player down a bit when it comes to bridging the gap between the hours and hours of solo content and the stories and adventures to be had in group content. In my first two years of playing I was pretty oblivious to the MMO side of things. I was the lone wolf, making my own way and finding success and failure in equal measure. When I finally hit level 50 and champion levels, I really struggled then. I didn't know what to do. Partly my fault for ignoring the O in ESO, but also a lack of orientation or people telling me the right things. I needed Razor Caltrops, they said. I was the wrong race, they said. I wasn't doing enough damage for this content, they said. I felt my struggles increase tenfold. Then we did our first dungeon and you gave me the orientation and encouragement I needed to make the tranistion from a solo player to an MMO player.

That's what I'd like to see: Someone anybody here who is new to ESO (or plans to play) whom they recognise and who I know is going to give them the right advice. Someone they can watch do casual questing and progress to other content who will, over time, coach them and build their confidence so that no part of the game feels inaccessible. From World Bosses to Battlegrounds, from Cyrodiil to Elsweyr, someone who can give them the answers they need to hear to make Tamriel truly Unlimited for them.

Other games are cool too :D Do what's fun always!

This post was edited by Paws at February 20, 2019 3:34 PM EST
    • 136 posts
    February 20, 2019 3:54 PM EST

Thank you, Paws. Such kind words. 

I feel like people swing on the proverbial pendulum from one side, being afraid to even play (since it's an MMO - I totally get that), to the other side, stressing out over min/maxing (which I get as well). I've been through all of it in my years of playing. There are days when I don't feel like interacting with anyone and want to quest alone. Then again, I am also on a core raiding team for a well-known streamer. As Edana knows, I like to PvP in Cyrodiil quite a bit as well. (BLOOD FOR THE PACT!) I say this not to toot my own horn, but to rather show you that I have a well-rounded, working knowledge of all aspects of the game. No, I am not the best at any one thing. I'm fairly average, in my opinion, but I can hold my own in all types of content and have amassed a lot of knowledge over time.

I want to help people in transition. First, I'd like to help people make the transition to even play the game in the first place. Most people have a bad taste for the game because of its poor launch. Completely understandable. However, ESO has made amazing strides since then. You can honestly solo play this game, unlike most MMOS, however you want. You can use any race or class and still complete solo/questing content. You don't have to interact with anyone if you don't want to. 

I also want to help those who are thinking about moving from solo content to group content. Or, as Paws said, information on post level 50 game play. You can easily make the transition but it helps to have someone give a few pointers about gear, skills, ets. You're not required to min/max to do group stuff, unless you want to do the sweaty, tryhard, leaderboard content. 

Either way, it's honestly become an amazing game. Just ask your fellow Vaulters who play. And let's face it, TESVI is a long way off yet. Might as well enjoy some fresh Tamriel content now.

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 20, 2019 3:58 PM EST
    • 627 posts
    February 20, 2019 5:54 PM EST

1) I'd like to say that I would, but streams aren't my preferred form of video. However I might drop in occasionally as a show of support or something.

2) I honestly think it's better to play a game you enjoy; so ESO, since if you're enjoying it the viewers are more likely to enjoy watching you play it. Unless the game is truely terrible in which case there's the opportunity for some nice schadenfreude.

• 700 posts
    February 22, 2019 12:55 AM EST

The_Lex said:

As Edana knows, I like to PvP in Cyrodiil quite a bit as well. (BLOOD FOR THE PACT!) I say this not to toot my own horn, but to rather show you that I have a well-rounded, working knowledge of all aspects of the game.

Could you explain this? I don't understand the connection between a lot of PvP in Cyrodil and having a working knowledge of the game. Explain it to me like I'm 2. 

• 136 posts
    February 22, 2019 7:10 PM EST

Legion said:

The_Lex said:

As Edana knows, I like to PvP in Cyrodiil quite a bit as well. (BLOOD FOR THE PACT!) I say this not to toot my own horn, but to rather show you that I have a well-rounded, working knowledge of all aspects of the game.

Could you explain this? I don't understand the connection between a lot of PvP in Cyrodil and having a working knowledge of the game. Explain it to me like I'm 2. 

I generally mean for my paragraphs to be read as a whole. I was listing the various activities that I engage in game as a "resume" of sorts to establish that I have a well-rounded (hence, several different aspects of the game - which includes PvP), working knowledge (not the best, but certainly not the worst) of the game.

• 700 posts
    February 22, 2019 9:27 PM EST

The_Lex said:

Legion said:

The_Lex said:

As Edana knows, I like to PvP in Cyrodiil quite a bit as well. (BLOOD FOR THE PACT!) I say this not to toot my own horn, but to rather show you that I have a well-rounded, working knowledge of all aspects of the game.

I generally mean for my paragraphs to be read as a whole. I was listing the various activities that I engage in game as a "resume" of sorts to establish that I have a well-rounded (hence, several different aspects of the game - which includes PvP), working knowledge (not the best, but certainly not the worst) of the game.

Any well-written paragraph can be distilled down to its main idea without losing its meaning. I specifically highlighted those sentences because they contain what seems to be the main idea of your paragraph, and I bolded the specific words to show the exact claim I was responding to. That claim seems to be: I play a lot of PvP in Cyrodil; therefore I have a working knowledge of the game. 

I don't play ESO, so I don't understand how these ideas connect. I don't understand what makes your ESO resume any better or worse than anyone else's. I asked you to explain because you want to help people make the transition to play the game in the first place. But if those potential players don't even understand your credentials, then I don't see you getting very far with that. 

And I'm saying all this to try to discourage you. I'm trying to encourage you to think about how to explain these ideas to people like me who don't know anything about ESO. I'm sure Paws, Goldie, and Edana know perfectly well how the ideas I highlighted connect, and why you're a great player that has a lot to offer people willing to learn. But I don't, and I'm part of your target audience. 

• 136 posts
    February 23, 2019 9:35 AM EST
    I'm not sure what your problem is, but I'm not arguing with you. Enjoy your day!
    • 136 posts
    February 23, 2019 9:38 AM EST
    Edana, Paws, Golds, feel free to chime in, but I feel no need to "defend my thesis."
    • 694 posts
    February 23, 2019 9:59 AM EST

Legion said:

The_Lex said:

Legion: PvP content (Cyrodiil, Imperial City and Battlegrounds) are all different from other PvE content (base game questing + DLCs, dungeons and trials). PvPers and PvErs are not thrown together on the same map at all times, so objectives change when you move to a different type of content, zone or area. There's a learning curve when it comes to gear, skills and just how those things work-- they're different types of content. As Lex mentioned, there's a big knowledge gap between, starting the game, the level cap and actual end game content for almost everyone--on both PvP and PvE sides. He's offering to take people through this and show people the ropes. If you don't understand but are interested in playing new Elder Scrolls content, it's best just watch the stream, watch how it works, ask questions and see for yourself.  

Lex:

1) I for one would definitely watch! After two years there are still things I don't fully grasp or could be better at. I would love to see how you do some of that stuff in game and what your set up is like. Thanks for offering this up as a resource!

2) My vote would be ESO because there's just so much there to unpack and because people could join you in game.

This post was edited by Edana at February 23, 2019 9:59 AM EST
    • 1595 posts
    February 23, 2019 5:04 PM EST

Edana said:

Legion said:

The_Lex said:

Legion: PvP content (Cyrodiil, Imperial City and Battlegrounds) are all different from other PvE content (base game questing + DLCs, dungeons and trials). PvPers and PvErs are not thrown together on the same map at all times, so objectives change when you move to a different type of content, zone or area. There's a learning curve when it comes to gear, skills and just how those things work-- they're different types of content. As Lex mentioned, there's a big knowledge gap between, starting the game, the level cap and actual end game content for almost everyone--on both PvP and PvE sides. He's offering to take people through this and show people the ropes. If you don't understand but are interested in playing new Elder Scrolls content, it's best just watch the stream, watch how it works, ask questions and see for yourself. 

Yep, totally this. Legion, you're not alone in needing it explained like you're 2 :D PVE (player versus enviroment) is a different animal to PVP (player versus player) and some things you take for granted in one aspect of the game don't always apply to the other. So a new ESO player can sometimes face what feels like three daunting challenges: Learning the mechanics of how skills work in casual or solo content; knowing what is considered optimal and how to achieve it for group content in order to feel like they're not letting anyone down; and finding out all those things again and how they vary for PVP.

The game has come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so in terms of how it informs the player (such as the Skills Advisor tool to aid in choosing what skills to pick) but often a player's own research and guides made by the community are what that person needs in order to learn and understand. So it's like, I might be able to answer basic questions about PVE aspects of the game and link players to guides or information I have found helpful, but I wouldn't be able to reliably answer questions regarding PVP. I've yet to master the basics, and find my own sensitivity is the greatest hurdle to overcome in order to achieve that. I went back into Cyrodiil properly very recently for the first time since last year's Midyear Mayhem. I had a good time, learnt a lot... Then an argument broke out between the group I was running with and the person acting as commander for the entire faction: A guy in my group had called out to us privately that the attack on a keep in our control was just a "flagger" (a term I learnt meant a single person attacking keep in order to flag it being under attack and cause the faction holding it to divert resources for its defence). Somehow the faction commander (I guess that's what they're called) found out my group member knew it but didn't call out the info to the entire zone. So she pulled him up on it and dressed him down for not saying anything, and of course he got defensive... In the end I said to the zone that he did tell us and that I could have just as easily informed everyone myself. The moment I felt the need to apologise for something I didn't do wrong was the moment I said "fuck this pvp shit" for the second time in a year :D

I digress :D The important thing here is that there is a lot to learn in the game, and PVPers are probably the minority. So The Lex saying he likes to PVP is a shorthand way of saying he has overcome the hurdles the likes of me have yet to, and can thus provide advice on all aspects of the game as a whole and the nuances of each individual aspect :)

• 700 posts
    February 23, 2019 5:33 PM EST

Edana said:

Thanks, I understand a bit better now. I didn't know PvP players were separated from PvE players. Didn't know Cyrodil was PvP only. I thought PvP worked kind of like F76, where one player can invite any other player to PvP, but it has to be accepted for any damage to be exchanged. And I'm probably still wrong about that. So then what does "raiding" fall under? 

The_Lex said: I'm not sure what your problem is, but I'm not arguing with you. Enjoy your day!

The_Lex said: Edana, Paws, Golds, feel free to chime in, but I feel no need to "defend my thesis."

I have no problem. I opened this thread because it looked interesting, and I asked a question about something I didn't understand. Getting defensive won't help anyone. 

• 700 posts
    February 23, 2019 5:54 PM EST

Paws said:

Yep, totally this. Legion, you're not alone in needing it explained like you're 2 :D PVE (player versus enviroment) is a different animal to PVP (player versus player) and some things you take for granted in one aspect of the game don't always apply to the other. So a new ESO player can sometimes face what feels like three daunting challenges: Learning the mechanics of how skills work in casual or solo content; knowing what is considered optimal and how to achieve it for group content in order to feel like they're not letting anyone down; and finding out all those things again and how they vary for PVP.

The game has come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so in terms of how it informs the player (such as the Skills Advisor tool to aid in choosing what skills to pick) but often a player's own research and guides made by the community are what that person needs in order to learn and understand. So it's like, I might be able to answer basic questions about PVE aspects of the game and link players to guides or information I have found helpful, but I wouldn't be able to reliably answer questions regarding PVP. I've yet to master the basics, and find my own sensitivity is the greatest hurdle to overcome in order to achieve that. I went back into Cyrodiil properly very recently for the first time since last year's Midyear Mayhem. I had a good time, learnt a lot... Then an argument broke out between the group I was running with and the person acting as commander for the entire faction: A guy in my group had called out to us privately that the attack on a keep in our control was just a "flagger" (a term I learnt meant a single person attacking keep in order to flag it being under attack and cause the faction holding it to divert resources for its defence). Somehow the faction commander (I guess that's what they're called) found out my group member knew it but didn't call out the info to the entire zone. So she pulled him up on it and dressed him down for not saying anything, and of course he got defensive... In the end I said to the zone that he did tell us and that I could have just as easily informed everyone myself. The moment I felt the need to apologise for something I didn't do wrong was the moment I said "fuck this pvp shit" for the second time in a year :D

I digress :D The important thing here is that there is a lot to learn in the game, and PVPers are probably the minority. So The Lex saying he likes to PVP is a shorthand way of saying he has overcome the hurdles the likes of me have yet to, and can thus provide advice on all aspects of the game as a whole and the nuances of each individual aspect :)

Alright, I think I'm starting to get it. I thought PvP was just people beating the shit out of each other in 1v1 ad hoc arenas. I didn't think there was a military style hierarchy and division of forces, let alone base assaults. That's pretty insane, I'd be down to see some of that. More strategy and less button mashing is a good selling point. 

And yeah, it's all a bit overwhelming. The thing I struggled with most from beginning to end wasn't just choosing skills, but remembering where I hotkeyed them and hitting them at the right time, while I'm aiming at the right thing. It was like learning to play guitar. I've never heard anyone else complain about that, so maybe it's not as big a deal to others. Though obviously that just comes with practice, which I did not. Sorry to hear your PvP experience went down like that though. You get points from me for even attempting to work with people on that scale. 

• 1595 posts
    February 24, 2019 1:14 AM EST

Legion said:

Alright, I think I'm starting to get it. I thought PvP was just people beating the shit out of each other in 1v1 ad hoc arenas. I didn't think there was a military style hierarchy and division of forces, let alone base assaults. That's pretty insane, I'd be down to see some of that. More strategy and less button mashing is a good selling point. 

And yeah, it's all a bit overwhelming. The thing I struggled with most from beginning to end wasn't just choosing skills, but remembering where I hotkeyed them and hitting them at the right time, while I'm aiming at the right thing. It was like learning to play guitar. I've never heard anyone else complain about that, so maybe it's not as big a deal to others. Though obviously that just comes with practice, which I did not. Sorry to hear your PvP experience went down like that though. You get points from me for even attempting to work with people on that scale.

Cyrodiil is pretty good fun, no doubt about it, and so definitely worth watching for the almighty sieges as factions attack and attempt to take other player-controlled fortifications. Catapults, trebuchets, balistae are all used to make it a proper siege! A lot of the learning curve is the lingo used. When I played the other day, I said to my group that it was like they were using a different language. Everything is an abbreviation: The command issued by a leader might be to attack Castle Alessia, but that command would be abbrevaited to "siege Aless bd." I'm like, "are you telling me to smash in Alessia's back door?"

Bad experiences in any type of activity where other players are present is a sad but unavoidable fact of the game. I could just as easily pug a dungeon and regret it. I'll likely go back into pvp at some point, it's too much fun not to, but it might be ronin-style play. The zone is so big that you don't need to engage in taking forts and can have a good time just getting your backside handed to you by other players in the wilds :D

• 700 posts
    February 25, 2019 12:06 AM EST

Paws said:

Cyrodiil is pretty good fun, no doubt about it, and so definitely worth watching for the almighty sieges as factions attack and attempt to take other player-controlled fortifications. Catapults, trebuchets, balistae are all used to make it a proper siege! A lot of the learning curve is the lingo used. When I played the other day, I said to my group that it was like they were using a different language. Everything is an abbreviation: The command issued by a leader might be to attack Castle Alessia, but that command would be abbrevaited to "siege Aless bd." I'm like, "are you telling me to smash in Alessia's back door?"

Bad experiences in any type of activity where other players are present is a sad but unavoidable fact of the game. I could just as easily pug a dungeon and regret it. I'll likely go back into pvp at some point, it's too much fun not to, but it might be ronin-style play. The zone is so big that you don't need to engage in taking forts and can have a good time just getting your backside handed to you by other players in the wilds :D

LOL. Smash Alessia's back door. That's great. Have you and the other ESO players here ever done a group PvP thing? Like 4v4 or something? It seems like terrain would matter a lot. Maps can make or break competitive games.

• 1595 posts
    February 25, 2019 3:51 AM EST

Legion said:

LOL. Smash Alessia's back door. That's great. Have you and the other ESO players here ever done a group PvP thing? Like 4v4 or something? It seems like terrain would matter a lot. Maps can make or break competitive games.

I've played a few Battlegrounds games which are similar - they're like small-scale arenas consisting of three teams of four players to compete in various game modes like capture the flag and team deathmatches. The maps there are good fun and pretty well designed from my point of view, but I'm hardly an expert as it's not something I regularly do. I can say that one of the new houses coming with today's update, Elinhir Arena, is based off a Battlegrounds arena to some degree. It's the first player house to integrate an additional functionality for PVP. It's pretty cool and something the community has been asking for, so could be an indication of how much people enjoy Battlegrounds.

In terms of team PVP in Cyrodiil, I've only done that by chance, randomly and not orgainised if you get me. Like, I've joined small groups and we've encountered other small groups to fight, and I've had some good expereinces of questing through solo content in Cyrod only to find myself or another player ambushed by a small group. That can be either demoralising or great fun: I'm no where near good enough to fight three people or more and win - hell, even 1v1 it's 50/50 :D - but there's something really cool when another player sees it happen and turns the tide. I remember I was doing a quest in Cropsford one day and saw another AD player doing his own thing. He got ambushed by three EP players who hadn't spotted me. Man, he was a damned good player! I can imagine I'd enjoy an organised 4v4 thing in Cyrodiil. Terrain plays less of a role than it does in Battlegrounds, but the size of the zone could potentially add a dimension in terms of encounter areas - it'd probably be really fun to have that encounter around a small outpost or something so that siege and counter-siege equipment could be used. Or it could be well boring if the opposing four stay entrenched.

• 136 posts
    February 25, 2019 12:09 PM EST

Paws said:

Legion said:

I've played a few Battlegrounds games which are similar - they're like small-scale arenas consisting of three teams of four players to compete in various game modes like capture the flag and team deathmatches. The maps there are good fun and pretty well designed from my point of view, but I'm hardly an expert as it's not something I regularly do. I can say that one of the new houses coming with today's update, Elinhir Arena, is based off a Battlegrounds arena to some degree. It's the first player house to integrate an additional functionality for PVP. It's pretty cool and something the community has been asking for, so could be an indication of how much people enjoy Battlegrounds.

In terms of team PVP in Cyrodiil, I've only done that by chance, randomly and not orgainised if you get me. Like, I've joined small groups and we've encountered other small groups to fight, and I've had some good expereinces of questing through solo content in Cyrod only to find myself or another player ambushed by a small group. That can be either demoralising or great fun: I'm no where near good enough to fight three people or more and win - hell, even 1v1 it's 50/50 :D - but there's something really cool when another player sees it happen and turns the tide. I remember I was doing a quest in Cropsford one day and saw another AD player doing his own thing. He got ambushed by three EP players who hadn't spotted me. Man, he was a damned good player! I can imagine I'd enjoy an organised 4v4 thing in Cyrodiil. Terrain plays less of a role than it does in Battlegrounds, but the size of the zone could potentially add a dimension in terms of encounter areas - it'd probably be really fun to have that encounter around a small outpost or something so that siege and counter-siege equipment could be used. Or it could be well boring if the opposing four stay entrenched.

Battlegrounds are good fun, but they're better if you are part of an organized 4-person team.

As for Cyrodiil, there's nothing like a good 50v50 keep battle. Seige engines, oils, meatbags, good fun. I had one of those at Alessia that took 1 hour. 

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 25, 2019 12:09 PM EST
    • 1595 posts
    February 26, 2019 2:08 AM EST

The Lex, I just watched your stream from last night. I think that's a very helpful tutorial for new players as you talk us through unlocking skilll lines, levelling skills, an overview of how attributes work, and an intro to the role gear plays in the game. Good job!

This post was edited by Paws at February 26, 2019 2:09 AM EST
    • 1467 posts
    February 26, 2019 6:43 AM EST

Sorry Lex, wasn't aware of the streams starting. I'll watch that one and then try and make your next one :D