Forums » General Gaming

Which is your favorite rpg class(es) and why?

• 275 posts
    February 8, 2019 6:49 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

I never said they are random, only that they don't give a shit about anything but their wishes. The moment they start caring about others' wishes and opinions, it's a step towards Neutral. And to have friends, you need to respect their wishes and opinions at least to some extent. It is, in a way, a rule, a law of society. A Chaotic character isn't necessarily stupid, he is egocentric. Only his opinion matters. This sort of person can have people he hangs out with, but that's not real friends.

Not caring about other's wishes is actually more akin to Evil in the alignment system, not Chaotic. As I said, the Good/Evil scale is better translated as Selfless/Selfish. Chaotic simply will not follow or even actively oppose the rules of society (meaning laws or regulations).

• 393 posts
    February 8, 2019 6:56 PM EST

No, it's a different parameter entirely. Evil is the one who only cares about his interest/goals and would harm others without hesitation. Chaotic is the one who basically believes that no one gets to tell him what to do (I don't see why there should be an exception for friends). These are two different things. Egocentric is not necessarily selfish.

• 275 posts
    February 8, 2019 7:03 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

No, it's a different parameter entirely. Evil is the one who only cares about his interest/goals and would harm others without hesitation. Chaotic is the one who basically believes that no one gets to tell him what to do (I don't see why there should be an exception for friends). These are two different things. Egocentric is not necessarily selfish.

Evil doesn't mean you will harm others, either, you just have a tendency to and simply don't care for the most part. That's actually the whole premise of the original Lawful Evil: a person who seeks to loophole the political system to get to the top, and in quite a few D&D modules the Lawful Evil NPCs will look down upon bandits and the like because it's entirely unnecessary and even damning at times.

And yes, Chaotic believes in freedom above anything, and no it doesn't mean friends are an exception. Hell, like everything on alignments Chaotic isn't just black and white either, because a lot of Chaotics I've played with will follow orders from party members without hesitation so long as necessary respect is garnered or the Chaotic sees it as a good idea, Chaotic simply means they will not tolerrate an attack on their personal freedom.

Again, alignments are descriptive, not prescriptive. This means that how you act, think, and believe determines the alignment, not the other way around.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at February 8, 2019 7:05 PM EST
    • 167 posts
    February 8, 2019 11:43 PM EST

I will quote below from another source what I 'm using as the core of my characters' direction in how they act for Chaotic Neutral which are along with Chaotic Good the majority of what characters I 'm playing in games in general.

"Chaotic characters follow their consciences, resent being told what to do, favor new ideas over tradition, and do what they promise if they feel like it."

"Chaos implies freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. On the downside, chaos can include recklessness, resentment toward legitimate authority, arbitrary actions, and irresponsibility. Those who promote chaotic behavior say that only unfettered personal freedom allows people to express themselves fully and lets society benefit from the potential that its individuals have within them."

"Someone who is neutral with respect to law and chaos has a normal respect for authority and feels neither a compulsion to obey nor a compulsion to rebel. He is honest but can be tempted into lying or deceiving others."

What I 'm only using from the Chaotic side is flexibility, adaptability and freedom. In regards to the Neutral side I take that they just go with whatever will keep them out of trouble and not feel strong for good or evil, they just mind their own buiseness and they will even see it as a big hassle and negative to go to some degree of evil but if they felt that their position, rights, freedom were threatened then we have a serious problem and they will act. With temptation towards evil there is always the possibility that these types of characters will go for it and do go for it at times but most of the times they won't go through with it because it is highly likely that it will conflict with their freedom and their way of life which is minding their own buiseness and they usually even if they go that way they tend to opt for "small scale" evil acts compared to what true evil characters would go for because it all comes down to the fact that their way of life which is freedom and minding their own buiseness without causing trouble for themselves would be threatened,  you need to understand a Neutral's way of thinking is to always keep himself out of trouble without caring much about good or evil.

All in all my characters are what you would call egotistical bastards that value their own freedom and way of life first and then the others but they will never go out of their way to cause evil but there is some chance that they will go for some "small scale" evil deeds if needed and in case they are in danger. They are more cold hearted rather than evil, for example they might let some sort of harm come to innocents be it small or big if it means that they will not put themselves into danger and it might not leave a good taste but they had to do it in the end and won't think too hard on it. Other times though if they get irritated with this bad taste they might try to do something but as long as things go awry they will bail out without much feeling. They are a mix of cold calculating guys and whimsical at the same time and that 's what I actually like the most with these characters.

• 490 posts
    February 9, 2019 8:18 PM EST
    Battlemage. Elder Scrolls is my favorite role playing universe and this class is badass both in application and lore.
    • 122 posts
    February 10, 2019 12:39 AM EST

I like playing classes that bust out big numbers, like Barbarians, Warriors, or attacking mages. My true favorite, though, is probably any mage class that can summon pets or helpers. I love how they can make you self-sufficient. If I'm playing a sneaky character, I'd just as soon play a Bard rather than a thief or assassin. 

• 167 posts
    February 10, 2019 4:49 AM EST

@Henson - True Battlemage is a very interesting and diverse class to roll with.

@Mercurias - Although I can enjoy a warrior class I 'm more of a magic type of guy or something inbetween. After Healers though as I 've listed in my go to classes my 2nd favorite is also the summoner/necromancer types it's fun to play like that and feel like an one man army be it for PvE or PvP. Hm bards I do find the class interesting and have played it sometimes but I would still lean more towards something like a Nightblade if I were to chose.

This post was edited by Duvain at February 10, 2019 4:49 AM EST
    • 122 posts
    February 13, 2019 12:40 PM EST

Duvain said:@Mercurias - Although I can enjoy a warrior class I 'm more of a magic type of guy or something inbetween. After Healers though as I 've listed in my go to classes my 2nd favorite is also the summoner/necromancer types it's fun to play like that and feel like an one man army be it for PvE or PvP. Hm bards I do find the class interesting and have played it sometimes but I would still lean more towards something like a Nightblade if I were to chose.

I'm hard to truly pin down on my favorite class. I tend to pick something new every time. In D&D I'm having a ball playing a Light Domain Cleric (basically a holy spellcaster with medium armor who specializes in blasting with divine light/fire). In Skyrim my playthrough right now is a versioon of Alastor's High Summoner using mods to make the playstyle more unique (A unique Battlemage, basically, with emphasis on Conjuration and supplemented by bound weapons). In ESO my current favorite character is an Argonian Warden (Like a druid which uses nature/beast summoning magic for offense and support). In Guild Wars 2 I played a Necromancer, only it was decked out to be a greatsword-swinging juggernaut that sucked out life from dead enemies to fuel a transformation into a scythe-wielding avatar of death. In FFXIV right now I'm playing a White Mage, which is essentially a straightforward class with massive healing bursts and moderate damage potential.

It all depends on the game. 

• 224 posts
    February 16, 2019 4:07 PM EST

Thinking about Elder Scrolls:

- Merchant-Silvertongue-GuildMaster: I enjoy the gameplay of being influyent on the lands, becoming wealthy so one can be even more influyent, owning propierties, hiring mercenaries and merchants venodors to work on the business, also I really enjoy roleplaying creating a guild and recruiting people, find it so fun, with mods one can do so many things about, so one add names to your people, then make someone follow you in a quest, then at the end of long journies when have passed vary days and months, you can see wich of those people you recruited survived and improved and wich of them fail, I tend to take importance when I recruit a npc and also at the last days of them... those are not good days but life must continue. As proof of I like such class, economy and speech mods are the first ones on my mod list.

- Warrior-Tank: One-handed and shield, heavy armored. This is by two reasons. one due in a way refletcs personality, a Tank in any rpg game is usually the "nice but tough fellow", the one who can bare a lot, face many threats and also taking care of their owns. The second reason is well Tanks can be very abussive too... hehe. Just imagine a Wealthy-Silvertonge-Tank...

- Necromancer: Why such disgusting class?, by two things, one is why let the bodies decompose when can be use for battle, recycle principle, and in the way terrorize your foes the second one is I think is one of the crudest ways of show domination, for example controling your foes even after dead at your own will... I think that is a really powerfull message.

Now think in a Merchant-Silvertongue-GuildMaster-Warrior-Tank-Necromancer... I enjoy so much that gameplay also some aspect of that gameplay separately, nice post I enjoyed thinking about!

• 64 posts
    February 23, 2019 10:16 AM EST

WIZARDS! Nothing beats flashy spells. Also I always like to roleplay the "half-mad-half-geneius" archetype which I find Wizards suit the best - Eccentricity is the rout to entertainment, as they say (and by they I mean me) xD  

• 167 posts
    March 1, 2019 6:44 PM EST

Sorry for the late replies but the last two weeks had been very hard on my available free time even to mke a few comments...

@Medieval - Oh yes I can certainly see the charm of a merchant/diplomatic/guild master type of class. I also choose the merchant type of class in my characters but mostly as a secondary skillset - sub-class type. That being said when it comes to mmorpgs in the past I often ended up being leader or guilds or big parties so I always ended up managing sales and recruitment which is a great part of a game and fun in its own way.

Agree on the warrior-tank type they have that tthing of personality going on for them and damn right they can be abussive in rpgs and mmorpgs (especially in PvP).

Necromancer - Well that is also one of my favorite classes it is an intimidating class as you way and it is pretty damn fun to play have minions do your bidding and rain dark magic on your enemies, fun times! :D

@BlueDremora - Damn right! Being a wizard type of person myself I always found these types of eccentric wizards the most interesting ones not only in games but also in fiction books, movies etc. It is one thing going in with a sword and another raining down magic "things" on your enemies. :P