Forums » The Lounge

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu thread

• 261 posts
    January 22, 2019 12:58 PM EST

Hallo folks! So, while it's obviously not the main focus of the Tamriel Vault, I've noticed a few Pokemon fans amongst us. So, I made a thread for us to geek out over the new Detective Pikachu movie! Honestly, for being a live action videogame adaptation, it looks really swell--the Pokemon designs do an admirable job of bridging cartoony with realistic (even Mr. Mime, TBH; he's always been disturbing). My favorite part, though, is the sheer level of world-building. This is clearly the Pokemon world, not "real-world, except with Pokemon". They have street chefs with Charmander helpers, Unova-style pizza parlors (Unova being based off New York), post offices with Lickitung mascots, Jigglypuff singing at cafes (her fury in the trailer is righteous--especially with the marker/microphone from the anime)...

I am hype. Even if the movie bombs, the world building is extremely cool. These are people that only played the games, but are real fans, and that's a really good thing.

• 33 posts
    January 22, 2019 1:13 PM EST
    Pokemon are not supposed to talk! Looks like a dumb movie, IMHO
    This post was edited by Hasir at January 22, 2019 1:14 PM EST
    • 261 posts
    January 22, 2019 1:15 PM EST
    The trailer makes it clear that this Pikachu is a special case; only Tim hears actual talking. Everyone else hears the usual "Pika pika", like in the market scene. :P
    This post was edited by Tenebrous at January 22, 2019 1:15 PM EST
    • 33 posts
    January 22, 2019 1:17 PM EST
    I know, is but it still does not make sense. Is this the ‘ted’of pokemon movies?
    • 261 posts
    January 22, 2019 1:45 PM EST
    Well, the movie is a loose adaptation of the game with the same name, and Pikachu had a similar problem there. Time will tell, I guess
    • 33 posts
    January 22, 2019 7:44 PM EST
    Really? I had no idea this was a game
    • 1467 posts
    January 25, 2019 5:04 AM EST

I'm actually weirdly excited for it, but at the same time it's purely from Ryan Reynolds playing Pikachu. If it weren't him (or maybe Will Arnett) then I probably wouldn't be even half as interested in the movie as I am despite being a long-time Pokemon fan...It's just a weird concept, but hey it looks like they're really trying with this one, so yeah maybe it'll be great :D

• 321 posts
    January 25, 2019 7:40 AM EST

I'm interested in seeing the movie, mainly because of the premise and concept. However, I'll be going in with low expectations because I'm reminded that it's another video game movie adaptation.  

• 1467 posts
    January 25, 2019 8:39 AM EST
    I'm interested in seeing the movie, mainly because of the premise and concept. However, I'll be going in with low expectations because I'm reminded that it's another video game movie adaptation.  

That's really the best way to go into it in my opinion, it's not like we've ever had a great video game adapation movie, and even movies based off of video games aren't that great. 

• 261 posts
    February 27, 2019 3:34 AM EST

So, in case you missed it, there's a new trailer! There's a *lot* to unpack here, but first and foremost...

Ludicolo is stupid and precious and I love it

Oh and Mewtwo pops up too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bILE5BEyhdo&list=LLQp7qL3zCBpQ4jlut63XmOw&index=2&t=0s

• 1467 posts
    February 27, 2019 3:44 AM EST

Oh shit, I'm loving some of the new (?) designs that we get to see. Golurk and Growlithe both look really awesome, Snorlax does as well. Bulbasaur looks absolutely adorable and that one shot of it's eyes is really great. Honestly I'm really just half interested in the move to see how they've designed the Pokemon here.

I will say that Machamp looks a bit off, so does Mewtwo dunno, just not really a fan of either of them. 

• 261 posts
    February 27, 2019 5:05 AM EST

I agree that Machamp looks "off". His design and texturing seem less detailed than pretty much anyone else, and when he's in a live action scene along with Snorlax (who is so fluffy) the contrast is jarring.

As for Mewtwo, I agree the design is off-putting, though unlike Machamp I can see that as being intentional. This is a genetically engineered sentient WMD with psionic powers and a grudge against humanity, after all :P

Edit: The fact that Bulbasaur audibly chirps when it pops up melted my heart even more

This post was edited by Tenebrous at February 27, 2019 5:06 AM EST
    • 261 posts
    April 10, 2019 6:23 PM EDT

Welp, with only about a month to go, there's a tongue-in-cheek "casting trailer", which features a lot of detailed renders for a large portion of the Pokemon cast. From a technical perspective at least, it's hella impressive. And I now want a pet Emolga b/c IT'S TOO DAMN CUTE AAARGH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=198gzllaumo&fbclid=IwAR3YF5Qu-uuJeo9uPNdzwrjj_Gm4L0loyy1xge7Fq3Kyo16_x7wdVobhbXM