Forums » General Gaming

The Perfect Type of VR Game?

• 1467 posts
    January 18, 2019 3:54 PM EST

So, we're kind of in an interesting spot today (well nowadays) where VR Gaming is slowly becoming a more established thing. It's pushed past that awkward stage where it could've been as relevant as the Kinect, Eye-Toy (holy shit who else remembers that), Playstation Move (I think that's the name) or any number of gaming trends that die out pretty quick. 

Anyway, the point of this discussion is to kind of...examine what would be the perfect type of VR game, or what other genre you think it would work perfectly with (at the peak of VR Gaming rather than now). I'm actually really interested in it, because, well it kind of feels incredibly futuristic doesn't it? VR Gaming...crazy stuff.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 20, 2019 3:14 PM EST

Hm... VR is that thing you put on your head right? I think it works perfect with horror games. It's something I want to experience someday. But of course, you need good horror games for that, and those are rare. I think the last really really good ones were Outlast, its DLC and Alien: Isolation.

• 321 posts
    January 20, 2019 8:09 PM EST

VR dating sims are obviously the greatest VR games. I'm not really into VR, but I think VR would also be perfect with simulation-type games like Surgeon Simulator etc. just because the ability to control your own movement makes it feels immersive. Plus it's good for educationary purposes... somewhat. 

Now, wake me up when they've released a NervGear with a VR RPG that doesn't prevent me from logging out of the game, or suddenly kill me in real life because I got shot by a virtual bullet. :P 

• 1467 posts
    January 20, 2019 8:10 PM EST
    Hm... VR is that thing you put on your head right? I think it works perfect with horror games. It's something I want to experience someday. But of course, you need good horror games for that, and those are rare. I think the last really really good ones were Outlast, its DLC and Alien: Isolation.

Yep that's the one. Horror's an interesting genre, not something I've ever been super into (since I missed the early era of good horror movies and just never got into them enough for the new wave of occasional good movies) but yeah it does seem like the genre's kind of lacking in regards to video games. There was Until Dawn on PS4 awhile back which was a fairly solid horror game, had an interesting premise and was relatively well written, but yeah they're incredibly rare...Unless you count the 8000 zombie games that come out each year...

But yeah, that could be really interesting to experience in VR, I know a lot of the earlier games have had a Horror theme to them, usually in the form of throwing jump scares at you for an hour or whatever (basically shitty versions of Slender-Man...which I keep forgetting was a thing), but the idea of a Horror game in VR is fascinating. I'm sort of imagining something like A Quiet Place would be a fascinating video game. I suppose that's sort of like the earlier parts of Alien: Isolation, but I think making a genuinelly hardcore Horror-Survival game that has nothing to do with Zombies could be interesting.

• 1467 posts
    January 20, 2019 8:36 PM EST

VR dating sims are obviously the greatest VR games. I'm not really into VR, but I think VR would also be perfect with simulation-type games like Surgeon Simulator etc. just because the ability to control your own movement makes it feels immersive. Plus it's good for educationary purposes... somewhat. 

Eh, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the best VR game of all time ended up being an R18+ 'dating' sim :P It's either that or Battlefield XXI: World War 63 or some other shooter. But yeah, I'mn not super into VR at the moment but I do think that in 5-10 years it's going to be pretty insanely awesome, and the way that games are played for the most part. 

That could be super interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that's being worked on for medical schools and that sort of thing, obviously it's a tad different but I do like the idea of us getting more realistic VR simulations.

Now, wake me up when they've released a NervGear with a VR RPG that doesn't prevent me from logging out of the game, or suddenly kill me in real life because I got shot by a virtual bullet. :P 

All good, SAO doesn't have virtual bullets so you'd get killed in real life by swords and axes instead :P Well it's either that or you have to play Ocean or whatever the hell the game-world is in Ready Player One :P

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at January 20, 2019 8:39 PM EST
    • 700 posts
    January 21, 2019 3:14 PM EST

A VR remake/remaster of Amnesia: The Dark Descent would be peak VR gaming until it gave someone a heart attack and got banned. Same with Dying Light. All the best VR games would probably be too terrifying for the average gamer, let alone the normies. 

• 33 posts
    January 21, 2019 5:35 PM EST

I think it would be neat to make a VR game where you can visit a real-world place or event. Like for example mapping out the Vatican and letting people "walk" around, looking at the works of art and seeing the absolute size of the place, or seeing some sort of political assembly like the US' signing of the Declaration of Independence or Cato's speech to the Roman Senate before caesar's march on Rome. This would be educational, and educational games have cooties and are gross, but this way of making them would be awesome.

• 1467 posts
    January 21, 2019 7:02 PM EST

A VR remake/remaster of Amnesia: The Dark Descent would be peak VR gaming until it gave someone a heart attack and got banned. Same with Dying Light. All the best VR games would probably be too terrifying for the average gamer, let alone the normies. 

I was about to say I'm not sure about Dying Light, but after thinking about it some of those night scenes would definitely be terrifying...they're bad enough when your just playing the game normally so, yeah that could be amazing. 

• 700 posts
    January 21, 2019 10:56 PM EST

Dragonborn2021 said:

I was about to say I'm not sure about Dying Light, but after thinking about it some of those night scenes would definitely be terrifying...they're bad enough when your just playing the game normally so, yeah that could be amazing. 

The first-person parkour is where I see things going very very wrong. Most people aren't free running daredevils. I'd want to try, but I imagine I would nope out if it fairly quickly.