Forums » Elder Scrolls

Jeremy Soule won't be composing ES6's score

• 700 posts
    January 7, 2019 11:15 PM EST

I'm super butthurt about this. Soule's music transcends the games. I still listen to the Skyrim soundtrack even though I don't really play Skyrim anymore. Nevermind the Creation Engine! This is the real disaster. 

Full article:

https://www.vg247.com/2019/01/07/elder-scrolls-6-jeremy-soule/amp/

• 321 posts
    January 8, 2019 12:03 AM EST
    Ouch. Well, I can tell the leitmotif for Elder Scrolls VI won't be the same without that epic feel to it.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 8, 2019 12:13 AM EST

What??? Darn it, this is bad... But couldn't it be because they haven't even started working on TES VI?

• 77 posts
    January 8, 2019 12:28 AM EST
    It's very much 'hasn't been asked yet', I saw his Twitter post and then the various reactions. I don't know enough about game dev to know if they would sort out the composer this early on, especially with Starfield coming first :-/

Everyone is desperate for ESVI news though :-)
    • 700 posts
    January 8, 2019 12:57 AM EST

Meli said: It's very much 'hasn't been asked yet', I saw his Twitter post and then the various reactions. I don't know enough about game dev to know if they would sort out the composer this early on, especially with Starfield coming first :-/ Everyone is desperate for ESVI news though :-)

Fair enough. He did say,

"My non-involvement at this stage isn’t necessarily an indicator of anything foreboding."

When asked what sparked his post about not having any involvement in TES VI, he replied:

"I wanted to just clear the air for 2019 without having to keep saying “no comment”. I’m constantly asked about TES so I just wanted to say what my status is and move on. I have many exciting projects planned for this year and I hope folks are able to enjoy my new and forthcoming music."

Buuuuut, then he said this:

"I appreciate the support! Thanks everyone! But whoever they have hired or may hire will deliver something special for TES VI. I’m certain they can still deliver a great game with or without my involvement."

He seems to imply that he thinks he won't be working with them, but also says "let's see what happens."

I DUNNO MAN. We are all desperate for news, and patience and great, but when the composer of the last three games says he currently has no involvement, it gets me worried. Edd could be right in that they haven't even started work on TES VI, but that possibilty isn't super either. In the storm Bethesda's created for themselves in recent months, news like this leaves me even more apprehensive for TES VI. 

That's my excuse for posting clickbait. 

• 197 posts
    January 8, 2019 1:08 AM EST
    That is pretty bad news. There’s one from Skyrim that sort of sounds almost like a Gregorian chant that I can listen to on a loop. I can’t imagine the game without his music.
    • 77 posts
    January 8, 2019 1:27 AM EST
    @Legion

I completely get it, Jeremy seems to be trying to set expectations even saying about the other ES composers (I don't know their work so no idea on quality), but trying to avoid Bethesda being petitioned and being bombarded himself. Poor man is a composer not a pop star ;-) We shall have to wait and see :-)

It's strange how this popped up straight after the crazy post about ESVI coming out this year, which the main gaming news outlets discounted immediately. Add in not all fans went for the Fallout offshoot and Pete Hines (Bethesda) seeming to be on a Twitter break so I'm wondering if people are getting so desperate for news they are trying other routes to force it out?

• 700 posts
    January 8, 2019 2:19 AM EST

ilanisilver said: That is pretty bad news. There’s one from Skyrim that sort of sounds almost like a Gregorian chant that I can listen to on a loop. I can’t imagine the game without his music.

You mean Sovngarde? The best damn song on the whole list? I used to listen to it on loop for writing inspiration. I still just feel the need to hear it every now and then. 

• 700 posts
    January 8, 2019 2:55 AM EST

Meli said: @Legion I completely get it, Jeremy seems to be trying to set expectations even saying about the other ES composers (I don't know their work so no idea on quality), but trying to avoid Bethesda being petitioned and being bombarded himself. Poor man is a composer not a pop star ;-) We shall have to wait and see :-)

It's strange how this popped up straight after the crazy post about ESVI coming out this year, which the main gaming news outlets discounted immediately. Add in not all fans went for the Fallout offshoot and Pete Hines (Bethesda) seeming to be on a Twitter break so I'm wondering if people are getting so desperate for news they are trying other routes to force it out?

Somehow I missed that post, so I went and got it. 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-02-what-lies-ahead-analysts-make-2019-predictions

Elder Scrolls VI is coming in 2019. The flop of Fallout 76 makes a hit more essential for Bethesda, and I expect them to accelerate development of ESVI. (This was my prediction from 2016 and 2017...)

That's the one, right? Any idea what he means by his parenthetical? Has he been predicting the same thing every year for two years, making him wrong twice? 

You're right though, it is strange that Soule came out with this now. Hadn't thought about people taking other routes to get information, but it makes sense. Either way, I'm sure we'll all wake up to a slew of articles and videos. One part of his status has been bothering me though. 

As so many of my fans have asked... While I’ve not said much about this out of courtesy to Bethesda, I would never turn my back on TES, and I believe that my involvement would hinge on a creative decision on their part and where they want to take the franchise. To confirm, I am currently not involved with TES VI.

It's super ambiguous. "Creative decision." I can't figure out if he's subtly dissing the composer they've hired that we don't know about, or if he's just fluffing up "decision." And "where they want to take the franchise" sounds like he may have some strong opinions on Bethesda's recent antics. Maybe? 
    • 197 posts
    January 8, 2019 3:15 AM EST
    That one is good. But the one I was thinking of is called Masser. There’s this part where all the voices and the music swells and then it resolves into one man’s voice, and it’s just so gorgeous. And weirdly satisfying.
    • 277 posts
    January 8, 2019 8:39 AM EST

I like Jeremy Soule's music but after listening to the TES6 announcement theme at BE3, I'm not worried. There are plenty other great composers out there and many talented more whose names are yet unknown.

This post was edited by Noodles at January 8, 2019 8:39 AM EST
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 8, 2019 11:22 AM EST

Beth's got Inon Zur too, and he's awesome, he's the dude who also created that timeless and epic score for Dragon Age Origins, probably one of my all-time favorites... but I'm a very stubborn guy. I like my stuff to remain "consistent", i.e I don't like change unless absolutely necessary, lol.

I hope Jeremy returns, it's part of the Soule of The Elder Scrolls, you know?

You're welcome.

This post was edited by Mr. at January 8, 2019 11:24 AM EST
    • 167 posts
    January 8, 2019 2:10 PM EST

Damn that's a shame then again in regards to music there are many talented people out there so I believe if Jeremy Soule isn't the one to compose ESVI soundtracks someone else will be able to deliver something just as good but still it'd be great if Jeremy Soule were to compose for ESVI.

@Mr. Edd - Yes! Dragon Age Origins music is at the top of my favorite game music list. I wouldn't mind Inon Zur being the composer of ESVI if they don't take Jeremy Soule.

This post was edited by Duvain at January 8, 2019 2:10 PM EST
    • 275 posts
    January 8, 2019 4:05 PM EST

Good. Why waste an amazing musician on what is destined to be a shit game? Maybe he'll find a company that actually deserves it or compose his own tracks.

• 277 posts
    January 8, 2019 4:14 PM EST

Ebonslayer said:

Good. Why waste an amazing musician on what is destined to be a shit game? Maybe he'll find a company that actually deserves it or compose his own tracks.

Don't worry because you, me and everyone mad at Fallout 76 or disappointed in Bethesda lately will be first in line to s#ck their *profanity* once TES6 comes out. *giggles*

• 393 posts
    January 8, 2019 5:44 PM EST

I'm afraid that no music will save TES VI. If it will come out at all. My bet is that they did't even started making it. Maybe there are some concept arts or something like that. Todd has said that TES VI will have a new engine. There's no way they are anywhere near it yet. We'll see. I'm not going to buy it upon release though, no matter what.

• 275 posts
    January 8, 2019 6:49 PM EST

Noodles said:

Don't worry because you, me and everyone mad at Fallout 76 or disappointed in Bethesda lately will be first in line to s#ck their *profanity* once TES6 comes out. *giggles*

I never buy games on launch, and likely I will never buy from Bethesda again.

• 1441 posts
    January 8, 2019 7:55 PM EST

Ebonslayer said:

Noodles said:

I never buy games on launch, and likely I will never buy from Bethesda again.

Hey, give it a chance

• 393 posts
    January 8, 2019 8:04 PM EST

Not buying games on launch IS giving them a chance. A chance to fix a few bugs))

• 275 posts
    January 8, 2019 8:49 PM EST

Chris said:

Hey, give it a chance

Have I a reason to? All Bethesda has done for the last decade is get lazier and more exploitative. I will not give them more money.

• 7 posts
    January 8, 2019 8:57 PM EST

I hope Bethesda just hasn't gotten that far in production yet and is still waiting to call back Soule. I've never been the type of go crazy over soundtracks but I cannot deny the beauty of his soundtracks.

I wouldn't mind giving another artist a chance to prove themselves, but if Bethesda decides goes this route, they'll have some big shoes to fill.

• 321 posts
    January 8, 2019 9:14 PM EST
    Eh, I'm kinda pessimistic and cynical when it comes to Bethesda nowadays. There is a small part of me that hopes they would change, but it's like the size of a dot, and it continues to shrink with every bad news I hear about them.
    • 1441 posts
    January 8, 2019 11:14 PM EST

Ebonslayer said:

Chris said:

Hey, give it a chance

Have I a reason to? All Bethesda has done for the last decade is get lazier and more exploitative. I will not give them more money.

I mean, 76 aside, the games they've done so far have been good, ESO, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Legends

• 321 posts
    January 9, 2019 12:06 AM EST
    ESO was okay... after they relaunched it as Tamriel Unlimited. Before that, you had to pay a subscription fee to play, which made me initially stay away from the game.

Skyrim and Fallout 3 had the same issues, I think. Both had crashes and bugs, and relied on the Modding community to fix those issues instead of having Bethesda resolve it themselves.

I don't know much about Legends, but from what Thorien said, and what I could gather, the switch to the new client served as a downgrade, instead of an upgrade for the game. (https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-responds-to-player-anger-over-new-elder-scrolls-legends-client/)

This post was edited by A-Pocky-Hah! at January 9, 2019 12:24 AM EST
    • 275 posts
    January 9, 2019 12:30 AM EST

Chris said:

I mean, 76 aside, the games they've done so far have been good, ESO, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Legends

ESO isn't Bethesda, it's Zenimax.

Skyrim is shit. Bethesda went the route of "why do it when your players could do it instead" which pisses me off to no end.

Never played Fallout 3.

I've heard Legends is absolutely shit.

I will give Bethesda no more chances. They have exhausted both I am willing to give them, and I refuse to buy from the second coming of EA.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at January 9, 2019 12:33 AM EST