Forums » The Lounge

Best Movie From 2018?

• 558 posts
    January 7, 2019 11:42 AM EST

Image result for mowgli 2018

What was the best (or your favorite) movie from 2018? I had never before read nor watched any version of The Jungle Book until I watched Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle, and this is definitely my top movie from 2018. It actually reminded me a lot of Lord of the Rings with the fantasy elements and the grimness of the story.

What is your favorite movie from 2018?

• 70 posts
    January 7, 2019 2:51 PM EST
    Im not a movie watcher but i really liked Into the Spiderverse.
    This post was edited by Vezrabuto at January 7, 2019 4:21 PM EST
    • 1467 posts
    January 7, 2019 6:46 PM EST
    Shiiit man, I watched a tonne last year. It was sort of my main thing since I only bought games after trading in some of my old ones.

Creed 2, Infinity War, Black Panther, Annihilation, Incredibles 2, A Quiet Place and Bohemian Rhapsody were all really good movies that I enjoyed. I'd probably give Infinity War my top movie of the year, even if it might not be the best.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 7, 2019 6:54 PM EST

A Quiet Place was last year? That right there was my favorite movie, then. "Get Out!" was pretty damn cool too. I haven't watched that many more that I remember, but I did make the mistake of going to watch Infinity War a second time on theater: I loved it the first time, not so much the second time... Won't make the same mistake with End Game. And I haven't seen Black Panther on its entirety, but I hated the humour and jokes on it. I don't know, they just felt off - especially that scene in that Throne Room cave just after T'Challa returns.

EDIT: My mistake, Get Out was a couple of years ago, lol.

This post was edited by Mr. at January 7, 2019 6:55 PM EST
    • 321 posts
    January 7, 2019 7:48 PM EST
    I think 2018 was the only time I watched more locally produced movies than international ones. I was with my family, so I basically had no choice but to follow whatever movie they decided to pick. Most of the local movies were action flicks. There was a horror comedy, but it was cringy as hell.

I did watch Infinity Wars, which was the only movie worth my time watching really.
    This post was edited by A-Pocky-Hah! at January 7, 2019 8:37 PM EST
    • 197 posts
    January 8, 2019 12:06 AM EST
    Venom, Annihilation, Cargo. I was going to say The Lobster, but realized it was from 2017, but I just saw it last week. I didn’t watch many movies this year, apparently.

Oh, and Deadpool.
    This post was edited by ilanisilver at January 8, 2019 3:22 AM EST
    • 33 posts
    January 8, 2019 1:06 AM EST

Hmmm...I would say Bumblebee, Venom, Spiderman: into the spiderverse
    This post was edited by Hasir at January 10, 2019 2:23 PM EST

• 585 posts
    January 10, 2019 6:58 AM EST

Released almost exactly a year ago, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is still one of the best films I've ever seen. The acting was incredible, it was very well paced, it deserves every award it won. A fact that I love is that the director, Martin McDonagh (who has also made In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths, two equally amazing films) is actually a playwright primarlily, and actually credited to be one of the best Irish playwrights ever, but has said that he vastly prefers film as a creative medium.

• 197 posts
    January 10, 2019 10:13 AM EST
    @Zonnon, I forgot that was in 2018. Yes, it was a fantastic movie. Deserving of more attention than it got.
    • 1467 posts
    January 10, 2019 11:56 PM EST
    Damn yeah completely forgot that was last year...Wait, actually it might have technically been 2017, just released later in the UK and Australia (checked the Wikipedia page and yeah...technically a 2017 movie but still damn great regardless)

I also forgot about Bad Times at The El Royale which actually might have been my favourite movie of the year (even if it's beyond uncomfortable at times). It was one ofth few movies I watched and had no idea heat was happening (in the best possible way) most of the time. Superb acting and set design and so on.
    This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at January 11, 2019 12:00 AM EST
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 11, 2019 10:16 AM EST

By the way, there is one movie I haven't seen this year that will probably become my favorite when I do see it. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Can't go wrong with some goold old Western + the Coen Brothers! They are basically the only ones who keep doing it, other than Tarantino. There's also the odd "Godless" every now and then, and gosh... That show was amazing.

• 197 posts
    January 11, 2019 10:42 AM EST
    @Mr. Edd - it’s so good! I keep forgetting it’s a movie because of the way it’s structured, you know? But yes, when you see it. I think the Stephen Root/James Franco one is my favorite. Closely followed by the wagon train, although...well, you’ll see it. And the last one, too. they’re all good. I would have mixed up the order they were shown just a little, but just my preference, probably.

@DB: my husband saw El Royale and thought it was excellent. He had some of the same impressions, that it was uncomfortable at times. But unexpected, and impressive.
    • 1441 posts
    January 11, 2019 5:09 PM EST

Anyone here seen that movie, ah, Bandersnatch? I like how its Choose Your Own Adventure

This post was edited by Chris at January 11, 2019 5:09 PM EST
    • 558 posts
    January 13, 2019 9:43 PM EST

I haven't, but it sounds cool. I haven't seen any Black Mirror at all, though.

• 1467 posts
    January 21, 2019 4:30 AM EST

So, I'm honestly a bit shocked by this but I do have to throw Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse...Spiderman Into the Spider-Verse? Eh can't be stuffed but you get the point. Anyway, I have to throw it into the running as, if not the best movie, the most entertaining movie of 2018. It's not normally my thing (I'm a passive Spider-Man fan at best) but it really got me in the mood to try reading some comics, which I think should kind of be the goal of a Superhero movie. Plus it was a visual masterpiece showcasing what felt like all of Animation in a single movie, which is insane. 

• 261 posts
    January 22, 2019 12:48 PM EST

I have to give my vote to Bumblebee. It's actually a really great story--very E.T and Iron Giant feeling. The main characters, human and robot, are very well-done, and the interactions between Charlie and Bumblebee are so nice. Especially after Bay's run with the franchise.

Also, as a massive nerd of the franchise in general, I flipped out at the Cybertron scene. It's an 80s G1 episode, IN LIVE ACTION! I was squeeing my ass off. Bonus points in that Cullen's voice acting as Optimus sounds way more G1 than he has in the other movies, and the Decepticons sound freaking identical to the 80s versions (both Soundwave and Shockwave were voiced by Jon Bailey, a.k.a Epic Voice Guy, though he did such a good job I mistook him for the original VAs)