Forums » Introduce Yourself

Hi all!

• 4 posts
    January 3, 2019 5:27 PM EST

Hello!

I've been lurking for a few weeks, and I love how friendly and helpful everyone seems. I've been looking over a lot of builds while I've been setting up a mod list, originally just to pass the time and get some inspiration for a modded playthrough or two, but some of the stuff on here is so good I decided to join. I've now a couple in mind myself (I also thought that getting in to this a bit might be a helpful exercise for writing more generally).

Regarding any builds I might post: I've never been super into TES lore, though I enjoy reading about it and find digging through lore and inventing back stories and things fairly staightforward and fun. However, though I've played Skyrim and Fallout on and off for a few years now I'm the kind of gamer who is in it for the RP and escapism, not maximising gameplay, exploits and things like that. So I don't know skill trees, quests, perks, items, etc very well at all. Is there a primer, guide or tool somewhere for this aspect of things?

Pleased to meet you all anyway!

This post was edited by Annarresti at January 3, 2019 5:31 PM EST
    • 694 posts
    January 3, 2019 6:02 PM EST

Hi Annaresti! Please to meet you as well. Good to have you with us and get to know a little bit more about you and your interests. :) As far as getting into character building goes, a general primer on building exists, but as far as a catalogue of items and abilities goes, that can probably be found on the Skyrim Wiki or UESP. We have a few different discussions and resources for new builders about the actual building process though. If you haven't seen it yet, check out Ponty's Guide to Character Building, which sort of touches on what you should include when thinking about your build. I would suggest making an outline of your character maybe before you even start play testing it. It doesn't have to be a completely exhaustive list. I think some of the best builds have happened somewhat organically too, but it's good to have a general idea before you even start playing. 

Noodles has also put together a really awesome build template as well, which I would recommend checking out. And, of course, you can always bounce ideas off of people in the Workshop to ask for feedback and advice for things that might synergize well with your idea. 

Also, if character development and roleplay is really your thing, I'd also recommend checking out the Roleplay group too. If you're not as into the mechanics and more about the roleplay or the story, you can create an RP profile which really digs into the character's motivations, story, etc. a little more than a build. You can create a freestanding roleplay profile or use it as a supplemental material for a character build or blog. Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions and again welcome the site! 

• 167 posts
    January 3, 2019 6:22 PM EST

Hello Annarresti and welcome! I think Edana covered already the how to get started so if you have anything else you 'd like to know ask away. 

• 4 posts
    January 3, 2019 6:35 PM EST

Yes I think Edana's post just about covers things. That template from Noodles is particularly good. I'll defiitely have a dig around in the Roleplay group as well.

• 167 posts
    January 3, 2019 6:56 PM EST

Cool, what I 'm usually doing is making a build and also tying the character I used for that build to a roleplay profile it makes the whole thing more complete. That 's just for me though you can certainly post one or the other.

• 1595 posts
    January 4, 2019 5:24 AM EST
    It looks like you're all set :) Welcome to the Vault Annarresti, please don't hesitate to join in, ask questions or anything else. If you're ever unsure where to post or looking for a certain thing, feel free to leave a comment here and we can help. Have fun!
    • 284 posts
    January 4, 2019 3:17 PM EST

Hey Annarresti!! Great to see a new face around here. If you need any help with the Fallout side, send me a PM. If you're thinking about posting a Fallout RP profile, visit the Fallout Hub.

• 4 posts
    January 4, 2019 4:31 PM EST

Thanks everyone. Right, so if I want help with getting started - "I have an idea for a character like X that focusses on Y an does Z. What would be people's roleplay / mechanic suggestions for that be, if any?" - where would I post that, please? Might do an outline first etc, obviously

Edit: A thing I just noticed. Loads and loads of pictures on different builds and threads, etc don't seem to load for me. Is this just normal or is something going wrong?

This post was edited by Annarresti at January 4, 2019 4:39 PM EST
    • 167 posts
    January 4, 2019 6:14 PM EST

@Annarresti - What you want is under Other Groups -> The Workshop you can post there a preview of whatever you want to make and ask for some feedback.

Regarding the photos I think some older posts haven't retained their photos in them not sure about that though Paws or Edana probably know better.

• 4 posts
    January 4, 2019 6:39 PM EST

Thanks, Duvain. Just realised that Edana mentioned that already, too. Whoops.

This post was edited by Annarresti at January 4, 2019 6:39 PM EST