Forums » General Gaming

POLL Your most anticipated game for 2019

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 3, 2019 6:59 PM EST

Oh, definitely, or at least by my standards it will be better than many AAA games out there. Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin 2 are the most recent examples proving that something with a relatively low budget is capable of ascending to the pantheon of roleplaying games, especially the latter. In fact, I don't know if you like this kind of game, Justiciar, but seeing as you seem to be looking/hoping for something new, I definitely recommend DOS2. It might be the game that came closest to replicating pen-and-paper RPGs.

This first trailer is kind of cheesy (I love it, especially the music), but it shows the game's features well enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL7_U7oWJzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXiT9Shrw5k

• 393 posts
    January 3, 2019 8:03 PM EST

Actually I've seen some videos about these two games and... not exactly my kind of game. I prefer games with more freedom. Something like Skyrim or at least like DA. And something that doesn't scream "we did everything to make our game like D&D!" I'm not a fan of D&D. A good RPG in my eyes is one that gives room for personal experience, not the one that has the most complicated mechanics and the most rigid classes.

Maybe in 2020 the game industry will wake up and there will be something for me too. Or maybe not. If anything, it's very possible that by that time our government will finally find a way to block the whole internet and then I wouldn't play any games at all ever again. Though it's also possible that by that time I'll be in jail for not being a Christian or something like that. So why even want to play games when my life is already a Cyberpunk 2020, huh?)))

• 275 posts
    January 3, 2019 8:32 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

A good RPG in my eyes is one that gives room for personal experience, not the one that has the most complicated mechanics and the most rigid classes.

Then you would like DOS2. It's mechanics are not too complicated (no more complicated than the Fallout 4 VATs system, which someone who's intellectually disabled could figure out) and the classes might as well not exist with how much freedom you get in making your character.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at January 3, 2019 8:35 PM EST
    • 167 posts
    January 3, 2019 9:43 PM EST

Btw in regards to Outer Worlds from what I 've heard Obsidian doesn't have budget from Microsoft for this game the funds from Microsoft will probably come for the next maybe exclusive console game or something like that.

DOS2 is a pretty OK game for those who like this type of combat systems. Tried it a little but didn't play too much of it, I will probably get it at some point.

• 393 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:03 PM EST

Ebonslayer said:

Then you would like DOS2. It's mechanics are not too complicated (no more complicated than the Fallout 4 VATs system, which someone who's intellectually disabled could figure out) and the classes might as well not exist with how much freedom you get in making your character.

In the video that I watched, it was shown in the gods awful view like DA tactical camera and said that it's how it is all the time (and I used that camera only like 5% of time in DA, it reminds me of some strategy games). And the graphics resemble a mobile game. Also it was said that you have a group like in DA, but are those companions as interesting as the DA ones or they are there just for the fights?

Oh, and the story sounds pretty weird, though maybe it's the fault of that youtuber.

This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at January 3, 2019 10:05 PM EST
    • 275 posts
    January 3, 2019 11:28 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

In the video that I watched, it was shown in the gods awful view like DA tactical camera and said that it's how it is all the time (and I used that camera only like 5% of time in DA, it reminds me of some strategy games). And the graphics resemble a mobile game. Also it was said that you have a group like in DA, but are those companions as interesting as the DA ones or they are there just for the fights?

Oh, and the story sounds pretty weird, though maybe it's the fault of that youtuber.

It's a game inspired by Baldur's Gate, so the top-down view is permanent, but it's much better than the DAO camera and it'd be like trying to compare ESO combat (DOS2 camera) to Morrowind early game combat (DAO camera)... meaning it's much more fluid, not at all clunky, gives a better view, allows more freedom, etc, just in case there's any confusion since you've shown a tendency for that in the past.

As for the graphics, you must have not gotten a good look at the game to think it resembles a mobile game in any way, shape, or form. That, or the video was on horrid quality (480p) or the YouTuber was on a literal potato.

The companions are 10x more interesting than the vast majority of Dragon Age companions, except maybe 2 or 3 like Solas or Iron Bull, though it is completely subjective.

I also find the story and lore very interesting. It's not weird, confusing (unless you pay absolutely 0 attention), has a lot of nice plot twists, and is heavily integrated into a lot of side quests.

• 393 posts
    January 4, 2019 8:10 AM EST

DAO camera is awful in its own way, but it does allow to look from behind the character's back. Not as good as in Skyrim but still. But this kind of camera... well, I can tolerate it... in a game like The Sims. In RPGs, imo, it breaks immersion like nothing else. I just went and watched another video... ugh, that camera makes my head hurt even in a video.

When I said it resembles a mobile game, I meant the overall cartoony style, not bad quality. I've seen such graphics in mobile games. It's not necessarily bad, just creates a bit of... not serious impression. Kinda joke game.

Lol. Solas and the Iron Bull are among a few characters who aren't there just to be woke, so no wonder)))

• 275 posts
    January 4, 2019 4:29 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

DAO camera is awful in its own way, but it does allow to look from behind the character's back. Not as good as in Skyrim but still. But this kind of camera... well, I can tolerate it... in a game like The Sims. In RPGs, imo, it breaks immersion like nothing else. I just went and watched another video... ugh, that camera makes my head hurt even in a video.

When I said it resembles a mobile game, I meant the overall cartoony style, not bad quality. I've seen such graphics in mobile games. It's not necessarily bad, just creates a bit of... not serious impression. Kinda joke game.

Lol. Solas and the Iron Bull are among a few characters who aren't there just to be woke, so no wonder)))

The game does take on a sort of "telling a story" feel with the narrator and such, so the camera is actually rather fitting. As I said, it is also very functional and smooth despite how different it may seem, and it allows you to see a very large area which works amazingly with the party-based combat and the encounters where enemies often have positional advantage over you.

I don't feel like the game is very cartoony. It has a bright color scheme, but it's not cartoony. Must be the video you saw.

I don't think we have the same definition of woke... Iron Bull and Sten are some of the most woke characters in the games, and also some of the most interesting.

• 393 posts
    January 4, 2019 4:52 PM EST

That's the thing, I don't like seeing a big area all the time. Sometimes it's useful, but most of the time, especially when there are no enemies to fight and I just want to enjoy the world, the Skyrim-style, or at least DA-style camera is way better. Otherwise, I have a feeling like I'm playing a strategy, not an RPG. I like to be able to feel the atmosphere of the world, and this view creates a meta impression.

Maybe it's just me, I like more reserved and realistic styles. For instance I really hate World of Warcraft, the ugliest game I know.

The Qunari aren't really woke, they have very rigid society structure and set roles. I find their culture interesting because it's a new and rather complex perspective to see the world from, at least for me. I don't entirely agree with their mindset, but they do have a point. Definitely one of my favorite DA cultures, slongside the dwarves.

But some of the other characters... Idk, they are interesting on one hand, but the intent to pull the RL politics into the game and to show the devs' leftist position is so obvious that I can't not see it even if I deliberately try. The thing is, I'm not even against feminism and such, as a concept, but the way these people are acting... (I mean, the leftist devs, not the game characters) only makes things worse.

• 275 posts
    January 4, 2019 5:40 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

That's the thing, I don't like seeing a big area all the time. Sometimes it's useful, but most of the time, especially when there are no enemies to fight and I just want to enjoy the world, the Skyrim-style, or at least DA-style camera is way better. Otherwise, I have a feeling like I'm playing a strategy, not an RPG. I like to be able to feel the atmosphere of the world, and this view creates a meta impression.

Maybe it's just me, I like more reserved and realistic styles. For instance I really hate World of Warcraft, the ugliest game I know.

The Qunari aren't really woke, they have very rigid society structure and set roles. I find their culture interesting because it's a new and rather complex perspective to see the world from, at least for me. I don't entirely agree with their mindset, but they do have a point. Definitely one of my favorite DA cultures, slongside the dwarves.

But some of the other characters... Idk, they are interesting on one hand, but the intent to pull the RL politics into the game and to show the devs' leftist position is so obvious that I can't not see it even if I deliberately try. The thing is, I'm not even against feminism and such, as a concept, but the way these people are acting... (I mean, the leftist devs, not the game characters) only makes things worse.

The camera doesn't really matter if you're looking for atmosphere. The areas are still amazingly designed and the dialogue creates a lot of the mood of the game.

The Qun in DA2 and onward is basically very militant and warlike Communism. In DAO it was a very bushido-like culture, but it changes a lot in DA2 and DAI.

• 393 posts
    January 4, 2019 5:57 PM EST

For me it does matter. It took me a long time to get used to the camera of DAI because it doesn't allow to get a closer look over the character's shoulder. Skyrim camera is ideal. I tend to zoom things in everyewhere.

In DA2 it seems militaristic because the person you talk about it with is the Arishok. I don't know how you dot an impression of bushido from what Sten says, he tells about various things, not just military. I got an impression of a society where everyone has a set role. There are Qunari who have nothing to do with war, all those farmers, artisans, scholars, teachers, etc. And in DAI we hear and see even more about them. Iron Bull tells quite some about the regular Qunari people. I actually searched and read everything there is about them. They surely are not exclusively militaristic, it's just that the outsiders mostly see that part of their society.

This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at January 4, 2019 5:57 PM EST
    • 275 posts
    January 4, 2019 7:28 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

For me it does matter. It took me a long time to get used to the camera of DAI because it doesn't allow to get a closer look over the character's shoulder. Skyrim camera is ideal. I tend to zoom things in everyewhere.

In DA2 it seems militaristic because the person you talk about it with is the Arishok. I don't know how you dot an impression of bushido from what Sten says, he tells about various things, not just military. I got an impression of a society where everyone has a set role. There are Qunari who have nothing to do with war, all those farmers, artisans, scholars, teachers, etc. And in DAI we hear and see even more about them. Iron Bull tells quite some about the regular Qunari people. I actually searched and read everything there is about them. They surely are not exclusively militaristic, it's just that the outsiders mostly see that part of their society.

The over-the-shoulder camera is pretty shit, honestly. It allows view limited to a single side of your character and half the screen is covered with your character's ass. It's overrated and inefficient, I will give Skyrim the fact that it changes to behind-the-back camera upon drawing weapons, but that doesn't change the fact you can't see shit unless you have weapons drawn.

Iron Bull, the Arishok, and Tallis all talk about the Qun in a way that makes it sound amazingly similar to Communism. I got Bushido from Sten from a lot of what he says and his sense of honor, fearlessness (in fact seeing fear as a weakness), challenging his leaders if he thinks they are making a mistake (if you bring Sten to Haven he will duel you for your leadership) and likewise commending them if he thinks a decision was wise, and the fact that if you return home without your personal blade you will be executed immediately.

• 393 posts
    January 5, 2019 3:56 AM EST

That's a matter of preference, I guess. If you can't see shit because of your character's ass, you can switch to the first person view.

The Qun is similar to Communism but there is difference. The main focus of the Qun is not that all people are equal but that they all serve a purpose. It doesn't allow a person to be a useless fucker who does nothing. I noticed that IRL all the people who preach about communism are either useless fuckers who don't want to work, naive idealists or guys who ise that idea for deceiving or/and manipulating others and/or stealing. But the Qun doesn't allow one to do nothing and make others do all the work for you, because of the fact that there's no ultimate authority. If you are doing something wrong, you'll have to answer for that, even if you are the Arishok.

How exactly honor is militaristic? Everyone can be honorable, you don't have to be a warrior gor that. And fear IS a weakness, it's a fact lol, and not only if you are a warrior. It's a weakness for a completely civilian person too, if it hinders them in things they are supposed to do. Challenging leaders stems from what I said above - if the leader is wrong, he is not an effective leader. And the sword thing is, I suppose, a thing that should make one respect one's purpose or something like that. Though I find this particular thing rather impractical. A sword, after all, is a thing. I wonder what would happen if a Qunari warrior broke his sword in a fight - that isn't exactly something one can prevent. The thing is, everything (or almost everything) in the Qun serves a certain purpose, every rule is there for a reson, not just for an impression.

• 44 posts
    January 5, 2019 7:03 AM EST

I'm waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 and The Outer Worlds. Excited for the both games. I'm just hoping my PC can run them. xD

• 1467 posts
    January 7, 2019 3:05 AM EST
    Damn tough one, personally I'm more interested in seeing Sekiro personally, been super into Bloodborne/Kinda into Dark Souls and this new setting could be awesome.

Other then that... Last of Us 2, The Outer Worlds, Cyberpunk 2077, Ghost of Tsushima (news at least), hopefully mor DA4 news. Seems like a good year for this Dragonborn...if I have money,.
    • 558 posts
    January 7, 2019 11:27 AM EST

2 games I'm mainly excited for: Mortal Kombat 11 and Hades (Supergiant's new game)