Forums » General Gaming

Game Awards: Game Announcement Thread

• 393 posts
    December 7, 2018 12:35 AM EST

I have only one hope: that Bioware doesn't screw up DA the way they did Mass Effect.

As much praise as I hear for RDR2... that setting just isn't my thing. Seems like I won't be buying any games anytime soon(( And nothing at all to replace TES with.

• 627 posts
    December 7, 2018 12:55 AM EST

Anthem will need to do well first to keep EA's death machine at bay.

• 1467 posts
    December 7, 2018 1:17 AM EST

Do you think it'll be set in Tevinter? I still haven't gotten around to playing the DLC so I don't know if there's anything there, but it would surprise me a bit if they went that far. Hmm, I don't want to spoil anything from Inquisition but, it's got me curious about how they're going to handle the main character. 

• 627 posts
    December 7, 2018 1:20 AM EST

They pretty much say at the end of Tresspasser that it will be the case or at the very least that the main character will be from Tevinter.

• 393 posts
    December 7, 2018 1:28 AM EST

I suspect that whether Anthem actually does well or not, EA will go wild once again and DA4 might end up unplayable, at least for me. Because... as much as I love DA, I'm not willing to pay $2000 for it piece by tiny piece Battlefront 2 style.

It would be cool if it's set in Tevinter, maybe this time there won't be the omnipresent Chantry. 

• 627 posts
    December 7, 2018 1:34 AM EST

Part of me thinks that this teaser was done so that should Anthem fail, Bioware can go to EA "Please don't kill us, look how many people are waiting for this game we are making." and possibly so they can leverage it as defence against EA in general.

Tevinter has their own Chantry and Black Divine, so you can look forward to the pro magic church and their non-templars.

• 393 posts
    December 7, 2018 2:29 AM EST

That may be the case. Though if it is, then DA4 will be the second Battlefront 2 and their last and worst game ever.

In Tevinter, the Chantry isn't that influential and the people aren't that religious. At least, there's hope that no one will call you a herald of Andraste or something like that. Another thing that I fear a lot is that they might limit the character creation to human only, like in DA2. That would make the experience rather lacking for me.

• 277 posts
    December 7, 2018 2:53 AM EST
    Sign me up for the Outer Worlds please!!
    • 649 posts
    December 7, 2018 6:12 AM EST

Hey everyone,

We have been working on a new Dragon Age™ game for quite a while now and I am pleased to finally tease the existence of this project!

While we won’t be sharing any details for now, I can tell you we have been building a new team around a core of Dragon Age veterans, people I’ve worked with on Dragon Age, Jade Empire™, and some of whom I’ve worked with since the Baldur’s Gate days.

While I have been focused on Anthem™, the rest of the team has been hard at work exploring ways to push BioWare’s storytelling to the next level.

I’m so excited to show you more!

Mark Darrah, Executive Producer

Making players into heroes of their own stories has been my real-life quest since Baldur’s Gate.

Over the years I’ve taken on increasing challenges: building vast living worlds, devising fun party-based combat and illustrating fantastic stories. Now, I’m honored and excited to continue BioWare’s rich legacy of colorful companions, romance and epic choices in my favorite fantasy franchise.

We’ve gathered our strongest team yet and are venturing forth on the most epic quest ever!

Matthew Goldman, Creative Director

You better deliver, Mark and Mathew, since you just took the name of RPG god into your mouths. Give me Tevinter, and give me Solas so I can whoop his arse for being the Loki version of DA.

And Outer Worlds looks like a very solid fuck you to Bethesda - well deserved fuck you - and just by the looks of the trailer I would be willing to sell all other Bethesda games in exchange for that game. Obsidian has my faith, especially after Pillars of Eternity I and II.

New Far Cry. Yeah, it was quite obvious we´ll be heading into post-apocalypse after FC4. Probably will play it, just for fun. Buzzsaw-crossbow gameplay gets me instantly hooked.

But I´m very curious if Dying Light 2 will show up here. Me and Harrow are expecting that one to be damn good.

• 1467 posts
    December 7, 2018 6:45 AM EST

You better deliver, Mark and Mathew, since you just took the name of RPG god into your mouths. Give me Tevinter, and give me Solas so I can whoop his arse for being the Loki version of DA.

Yeah, they've really set expectations high with that letter. You can't just drag in that sort of history without setting an incredibly high bar for the game. I'm a bit nervous just because I have no idea how heavy handed EA is going to be (you can see their influence all over DA:I and ME:A) with this game, and they could easily ruin it at any moment. 

And Outer Worlds looks like a very solid fuck you to Bethesda - well deserved fuck you - and just by the looks of the trailer I would be willing to sell all other Bethesda games in exchange for that game. Obsidian has my faith, especially after Pillars of Eternity I and II.

I' trying to think of anytime Obsidian has even temporarily shaken my faith in them. Oh nevermind, Dungeon Siege III was a literal trash fire, so there's that. But otherwise (and since then) they've just constantly released excellent games. But yeah, I'm honestly really tempted to pre-order the game as soon as I can just because it seems so perfect.

New Far Cry. Yeah, it was quite obvious we´ll be heading into post-apocalypse after FC4. Probably will play it, just for fun. Buzzsaw-crossbow gameplay gets me instantly hooked.

I hadn't actually played FC4/5...or anything since Primal but I might pick this one up just because it's a bit unique and feels really interesting.

But I´m very curious if Dying Light 2 will show up here. Me and Harrow are expecting that one to be damn good.

Already over so there's probably not going to be anything until E3 2019, or possibly later. . I'm definitely in agreement on it being damn good though, the Gameplay was solidly built in the first one and with Chris Avellone writing the sequel (sorry, as the Narrative Designer which is possibly even better) I can't imagine it being anything less than amazing. 

• 649 posts
    December 7, 2018 6:59 AM EST

Only time will tell. But frankly, I´m going to most likely pre-order DA anyway, I´m simply a sucker for the story, but at the same time I´m going to be a realist. Hope for the best, expect the worst. Even then though, I´m still going to play it with faith that the story and characters will be as good as in the previous games. But... only time will tell.

And Obsidian. Well, after seeing what they can do with a Backers funded game, I´m expecting a fully funded game from them to be really good. The theme and vibe of the Outer Worlds resonates with me quite a lot so yeah, bring it on.

Far Cry. Heh, honestly, Far Cry is something of a... guilty pleasure for me. Every Far Cry is basicaly the same game, just in a different setting. Never expect anything special from it, just pure fun and mayhem, with some ridiculous and bizzare humor and moments. And nutjobs villains. Me and Harrow played the hell out of Far Cry 4 and some out of Far Cry 5 - Harrow wasn´t that thrilled about the Red Neck setting :D But yeah, never go into Far Cry expecting mind blowing story or something, it´s just all about fun and mayhem.

So nothing on Dying Light 2? Shame, but it will be worth the wait. Quite looking forward to it, since Dying Light should introduce some RPG elements such as choices and such, which could be an interesting change in comparison to the first game´s direct story. We´ll see I guess.

• 1467 posts
    December 7, 2018 7:38 AM EST

Only time will tell. But frankly, I´m going to most likely pre-order DA anyway, I´m simply a sucker for the story, but at the same time I´m going to be a realist. Hope for the best, expect the worst. Even then though, I´m still going to play it with faith that the story and characters will be as good as in the previous games. But... only time will tell.

Hah, fair, fair. I can't say that I won't because honestly as soon as I get a proper trailer, or any news I'm going to be all over it.

And Obsidian. Well, after seeing what they can do with a Backers funded game, I´m expecting a fully funded game from them to be really good. The theme and vibe of the Outer Worlds resonates with me quite a lot so yeah, bring it on.

Oh, hadn't even thought of that, but yeah it'll be really interesting to see to see how they handle...well everything really.

So nothing on Dying Light 2? Shame, but it will be worth the wait. Quite looking forward to it, since Dying Light should introduce some RPG elements such as choices and such, which could be an interesting change in comparison to the first game´s direct story. We´ll see I guess.

I always thought that the game had the beginnings of a system set up, but just couldn't fit it in with the rest of the content they had to mix in. Because honestly, it's a really strange game that needed so many elements to work if it wanted to be at succesful, and to be honest...story just wasn't one of them. The Parkour, combat, levelling and so on were more important, but here they kind of need to make the story memorable since the systems are, fairly solid and probably don't need much work. 

• 321 posts
    December 7, 2018 10:58 AM EST

Here's a gameplay footage of The Outer Worlds if anyone's interested:

(Click here if video isn't showing up)

This post was edited by A-Pocky-Hah! at December 7, 2018 11:02 AM EST
    • 1441 posts
    December 7, 2018 12:35 PM EST

Joker is in fucking Smash!

• 277 posts
    December 7, 2018 12:37 PM EST

Santa-Pocky-Hah! said:

Holy shit! That is bioshock in space with the dear old non voiced kotor 2 / FNV conversation system. I'm a bit bummed that it's first person exclusive but oh my god I can't wait for it!!!

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 7, 2018 2:32 PM EST

Ok that's amazing. I love it. It doesn't seem like open world though, more like Mass Effect, maybe? It looks like you can even have more than one companion at a time.

Haven't watched it all yet!

• 558 posts
    December 7, 2018 2:49 PM EST

I'm hyped for Mortal Kombat 11 and Hades.

• 558 posts
    December 7, 2018 2:57 PM EST

Haven't cared about games much for over half the year, so this is exciting.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 7, 2018 3:27 PM EST

Lots of info about The Outer Worlds: https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidians-the-outer-worlds-blends-firefly-and-fallout-into-a-bold-open-ended-sci-fi-rpg/#comment-jump

• 1467 posts
    December 7, 2018 5:05 PM EST

Silly Pocky, everyone here (In this discussion) is interested :P Thanks for sharing though, really appreciate it :D

• 1467 posts
    December 7, 2018 5:12 PM EST

FUCKING SCYTHE!

• 1467 posts
    December 7, 2018 5:15 PM EST
    Tim Cain wants you to know there are a lot of drugs, but he's not going to pressure you to take them

This is quite possibly the best line from that entire article :P Kind of a perfect description for the tone of the game as far as I can tell. But yeah a lot of really interesitng information in that article (thanks Edd), I am a bit bummed out that there won't be romance options but I get it. 

• 393 posts
    December 7, 2018 5:50 PM EST

It looks sorta Fallout-y. And has the somewhat of the same spirit.