Forums » General Gaming

POLL Your 2018 Game of the Year

• 773 posts
    December 1, 2018 5:21 AM EST

Here we are again - for the sixth year running we have the annual 'Game of the Year' poll, where the loyal Tamriel Vault readers choose their favourite game of 2018.

I've gathered together a list if likely contenders, bearing in mind the theme of this site - so you won't find any flat-out FPS or Sports games here. The games tend to be RPG, open world or at least Action Adventure, the kind of games we tend to like on this site in other words

Of course, if I missed off your favourite then feel free to nominate it in this thread!

I always get asked this, so here is a list of recent winners

2017: The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind

2016: Dark Souls III

2015: Fallout 4

2014: Dragon Age: Inquisition

2013: Assassins Creed: Black Flag

OK, poll is up - let's get voting and commenting!

This post was edited by Paul at December 1, 2018 5:24 AM EST
    • 1595 posts
    December 1, 2018 5:35 AM EST

This year has not been a great one for me to be playing games, really. No doubt RDR2 would have gotten my vote - except it's not on PC (will it at some point?) and I switched from Xbox earlier in the year. But seeing as how ESO: Morrowind was in last year's poll, this year ESO: Summerset has nailed it. It was a huge expansion, larger than Morrowind, and brought so much to the setting from answers as to why Altmer only have one name (their real name is too long), to deep metaphysical lore that even now hasn't been fully documented. It was new, totally new and refreshing. Definitely my GotY.

• 1467 posts
    December 1, 2018 5:57 AM EST

I'm giving God of War my vote, which is a tough one because of it's exclusivity, but I cannot sell how much God of War, in my opinion has done something that no game has pulled off in ages. What has it done? It completely reshaped a franchise from something that was incredibly niche, into what I would possibly consider a genre-defining game that has done nothing but raise the bar for the genre of I guess...Hack-and-Slash games. I don't know it's so difficult to box God of War into a single category. I guess the closest thing I could compare it to is Dark Souls, but I haven't played Demon Souls so I don't know if it's a good comparison.

God of War, managed to actually make me feel for all the characters involved. It had moments that I just had to pause at to grasp the epicness of what I was doing, but was still incredibly grounded in a simple story about a boy (BOY!) and his father dealing with the loss of their mother/wife. It's a surprsingly touching story, that also managed to end itself on just the right note for me to instantly love the idea of the God of War franchise, hell it got me wanting to play GoW 1-3.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (which could be a contender if I bought it), is, from what I hear...exactly what I expected from a game in the series. God of War, was something different that I think has utterly changed how gamers percieve the series. It had the violence that you'd expect, but...in a sort of toned down way. I don't know, it's just...such a well written, well designed, almost perfect game that's difficult to explain. So yeah, God of War wins GOTY for being my favourite game, and most importantly, proving that a company can change directions with a franchise, can turn a middling series into one of the single greatest games I've ever played. 

• 122 posts
    December 1, 2018 11:53 PM EST
    Octopath Traveler or Monster Hunter World would be mine.
    • 277 posts
    December 3, 2018 6:22 AM EST

If I had a PS4, I'd probably go for either God of War or RDR2. But as I am on PC, the only 2018 released games I played were Shadow of the Tomb Raider and WoW: Battle for Azeroth. And let me tell you that BfA had many times felt like a proper RPG campaign with so many cutscenes and cinematics. So yeah, the latest WoW espansion is hands my favorite 2018 game.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 3, 2018 5:51 PM EST

I'm surprised "Didn't buy any games in 2018 " is winning. Guess I'm not that much alone in that regard. The only new, released in 2018 "games" I bought this year were DLCs: Rise of the Tomb Kings, The Queen and the Crone and Curse of the Vampire Coast for Total War: Warhammer 2. Both Curse and Rise are excellent, by the way, but aren't really expansions. Here's a trailer for both, in case you're curious, and because I love sharing Total War things:

Love me some spooky skelly bois, hah!

• 167 posts
    December 3, 2018 8:43 PM EST

For me it is Kingdom Come: Deliverance. If we take other things onto consideration 1st place might be RDR2 but I like sword & magic games much more compared to games with guns and technology and all that. KCD gave me all the rpg elements I haven't seen for a long time which is that you don't start and are on your way to become a god the moment you "set foot" in the game along with the fact that what you do in the world has meaning and will affect it along with future events, it just feels alive. There is also some depth into combat and it's not just hack and slash along with other small details that help with roleplay and immersion (doing alchemy for example feels much more engaging and "real"). It is not perfect but still with a few mods it can be an amazing game, for me probably one the best if not the best rpg I played the last 10 years.

I have played a lot of games (got a nice big bookshelve full by now :D) and have been a mmo player for many years and my favorite type of games are mmorpg and rpg. I 've been away from rpgs due to playing mmos since Oblivion which I like much more than Skyrim due to its questlines and then at 2012 got Skyrim (was waiting for mods) and I can't say it hit that rpg/roleplay feeling through any questline, the only worth I saw to playing Skyrim over Oblivion to me was the open world exploration - search and destroy type of thing (I am a mage guy and was so disappointed by the CoW questline which is just 8 simple quests and the other questlines that I rage quitted playing Skyrim for quite some time until more mods were out) but KCD draws you in since the beginning it makes you to want to progress and survive (it also might have helped that I played on Hardcore mode since I started without knowing much) there are even quests that will progress and complete or fail or change direction depending on your timing and if it is the first or second time you play through it, you can get screwed up easily. Anyways I 'm just ranting but my vote goes to KCD purely because I like rpg and roleplay in general in this type of games and I think it's the best of its kind that came out the last few years.