Forums » General Gaming

Creation Engine did nothing wrong, it's Bethesda

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 30, 2018 4:56 PM EST

Ready to get nerdy?

Thank Talos this guy did this video. Public utility:

A few points:

• Bethesda has a bad case of "good enoughs", born from their experience with Morrowind, a game they had to make work, otherwise they would go bankrupt. They build games on top of their previous games.
    • Remember how in the lore Cyrodiil was a jungle? The reason they changed it to your typical fantasy land was technical: Bethesda's renderer and landscaping couldn't handle a jungle.
    • The physics used in Bethesda games are NOT a part of the Creation Engine. They are part of a licensed engine (Havok Physics) that is very poorly implemented into Bethesda games. Lots of other games use the same physics and don't have the same issues Bethesda does, like Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Uncharted, Far Cry... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Havok
    • The scripting engine used by Bethesda is a mess. Anyone who has ever download script mods into their games are familiar with something called "Papyrus". The reason we didn't get the full Civil War questline in Skyrim was because the game couldn't handle it. Papyrus had to be expanded by modders after release.

This post was edited by Mr. at November 30, 2018 4:57 PM EST
    • 277 posts
    November 30, 2018 5:00 PM EST
    I'm actually ok with climbing steep mountains on top of horses or seeing corpses interact with the environment just the same a ragdolls
    This post was edited by Noodles at November 30, 2018 5:00 PM EST
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 30, 2018 7:41 PM EST

Noodles said: I'm actually ok with climbing steep mountains on top of horses or seeing corpses interact with the environment just the same a ragdolls

If they hire someone who can work with Havok, we'll be fine on that regard at least. Let's hope 76 is a wake-up call to them.

• 277 posts
    November 30, 2018 7:53 PM EST

Hear! Hear!

• 167 posts
    November 30, 2018 8:32 PM EST

I knew something like that was going on due to some older comments by modders but what I wasn't aware of was that this is an issue that came all the way from Morrowind, I thought it was from Oblivion. Some youtubers made videos and many people were criticizing Bethesda's engine before this video came out and I went and asked some more knowledgeable people and was made aware for the most part what was going on especially for the physics the guy I asked told me Pepe is probably making Bethesda's physics. :D Then after a few days Zaric's video came out and connected all the dots.

On the bright side let us hope this will be a wake up call and they will be able to acquire/use the technical expertise needed for Starfield and ES6. It would be very sad for the gaming in general to see Bethesda's games going down because I do consider them great games (I still play Skyrim and recently made an Oblivion playthrough) as a concept with their lore, story, open world (although their content/storylines will need some attention as well moving forward). I believe their morale should be low at the moment and let's hope that this will also be a case where they pick up and come out better.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 30, 2018 9:03 PM EST

Apparently, when you run Fallout 76 on PC, the game searches for a Fallout 4 disc, sees that it isn't there, and then loads 76.

https://twitter.com/GamesNosh/status/1067934342410919936

I love the reply to the first comment.

• 167 posts
    November 30, 2018 9:29 PM EST

Hahahaha I just love to read responses on such topics either videos or posts they are gold!

• 393 posts
    December 3, 2018 8:52 AM EST

Idk, for me it stopped to be funny back when the stuff with Legends happened. Because... I still hope to play TES6 one day. But Bethesda is screwing up worse and worse on every turn, and if the attitude of Todd Howard is any indication, they won't wake up.

• 167 posts
    December 3, 2018 8:59 AM EST

Most when the numbers go down $ wake up of course there are exceptions like BFV (DICE) but the hate here was real and they have heard it because even some more "official" people showed their displeasure. Who knows.

This post was edited by Duvain at December 3, 2018 9:20 AM EST
    • 393 posts
    December 3, 2018 9:06 AM EST

It seems like they are certain that the hate will pass and people will start buying their games again. Well, when I say people I mean 14 years old brainless fuckers who will spend their parents' cash on any trash. Judging by the turn they took with Legends, that's actually the sort of people they now intend their product for.

• 321 posts
    December 3, 2018 9:25 AM EST
    Don't worry, worst case scenario; they might charge players $5 to read each in-game lore book. Shit... I think I just gave them ideas.
    • 393 posts
    December 3, 2018 9:28 AM EST

That, if there will be any lore books to begin with.

• 70 posts
    December 3, 2018 9:29 AM EST
    Nah, you will have to pay for different dialogue options.
    • 393 posts
    December 3, 2018 9:31 AM EST

Are you kidding? Who needs more than one dialogue option? That's way too complex, people would have to choose, to, gods forbid, think...

• 167 posts
    December 3, 2018 9:40 AM EST

Something that is kinda sad and might give them a reason not to improve much is that their main rpg titles most likely will be bought because they have the modding community. Take me for example, I was pretty much aware didn't know exactly but had an idea what Bethesda's technical issues were since Oblivion (didn't know it was something that carried on since Morrowind though). When Skyrim was released I waited a few months for mods to come out and fix the game and then got the game to play it was also cheaper. Now that more people are aware of their technical issues and they won't meme about them or laugh them off they might hold on but eventually will probably buy the game because there aren't many studios making the same type of game. I really hope big competitors for Bethesda's games show up that would be the only way they will try harder to improve if someone enters their trade corner, for example I recently started playing Kingdom Come Deliverance which is not the same as Bethesda's ES and I won't talk about other things but just the rpg feeling of the game since the first minutes you are in it is much better and worlds apart from Skyrim. Their releases after FO76 will be put under a microscope but even if they have the same issues in them the sales will be much better but if they fuck them up oh boi the backlash will be hell, many times worse than it is now. I can't even imagine the backlash if they fuck up with Starfield or ES6 but they will still sell enough.

Edit: Also yeah regarding RP and storylines in their future games don't get any hopes. From their lead writer's speech I noticed that he must be through some mid life crisis and their general idea at Bethesda is keep it stupid literally for storyline content because people only want to kill things and don't care about RP. He says that and repeats it throught his speech. So next games Starfield we 'll probably conquer a few planets, or a universe maybe become a god and in ES6 at the very least I expect to become ruler of a nation and later on CHIM.

This post was edited by Duvain at December 3, 2018 9:48 AM EST
    • 393 posts
    December 3, 2018 9:47 AM EST

Tbh, I don't worry much about the technical issues, because just as you said, the modders will make the game playable eventually. What I do worry about is that it will have shitty writing and dumb, cartoony story. Basically, that I'll want to delete it an hour after I install it. And with the guys who are currently working in Bethesda, that's the most likely scenario.

• 167 posts
    December 3, 2018 9:54 AM EST

Oh I editted the comment above before I saw your comment. Yeah sadly I have very low hopes for any quality storyline in future titles this here will tell it all --> Lead Writer's speech

It is not just them though, they have to also make it like that to target audiences that are not used in this types of games and all that stuff sad but that 's that.

Edit: I kinda care to be honest for their technical issues because if they fix them I was shown how bigger the games can be at least twice than what they are now and we 'll be able to improve them much more with mods in regards to graphics and all that. These are my problems I don't care what they do with FO76 I knew from the start it was rushed and for consoles what I have a problem with Bethesda is their technical issues and storyline decline that started with Skyrim onwards.

This post was edited by Duvain at December 3, 2018 9:59 AM EST
    • 393 posts
    December 3, 2018 9:58 AM EST

I have heard his speech and I think that guy should be the first on the list to be fired. Fuck, even I can write a better story than he. But they won't fire him, he is probably Todd's best buddy and they play DoTA together on weekends.

• 197 posts
    December 3, 2018 12:08 PM EST
    Wow, that guy is not a good speaker. That’s probably what I’d sound like if I had to make a speech. Every other phrase would be “like, you know...” just like him. I’m betting if you could hear his internal monologue it would sound something like “oh, fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Fuck.”
    • 55 posts
    December 3, 2018 12:13 PM EST
    I watched this the other day. Some really good info and well done. Really hope Bethesda takes this all to heart. I mean, the simplest fixes that have been out for years via unofficial patches and other mod support for multiple games..... it’s just.... lazy and frustrating. I am still working to really enjoy my time in FO76 but every time I reload my lever action rifle I am reminded of this junk. Oo well at least we have Cyberpunk 2077 to look forward to.