Forums » General Gaming

Obsidian's announcing a new game at TGA

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 28, 2018 8:35 PM EST

Obsidian is going to announce a new game at The Game Awards. There's a countdown and a bunch of artwork when you access their site:

https://www.obsidian.net/

Here's what we know:

• Created by Tim Caine and Leonard Boyarsky, the creators of Fallout and Arcanum and developers of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    • Published by Private Division, a Take Two subsidiary
    • It's very likely going to feature space, and as seen on their site, it has an artstyle similar to Fallout/BioShock/Arcanum (a retro-futuristic feel). It might be called "The Outer Worlds". Trademark: https://trademarks.justia.com/877/69/the-outer-87769095.html
    • It will very likely use Unreal Engine 4 (multiple job positions opened at Obsidian requiring experience with Unreal Engine). https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions
    • This is information I found on Reddit, there were no sources: Boyarsky reportedly said that this new game is inspired by both Fallout and Arcanum.

Very Fallout-y, isn't it?

Fuck, I'm excited. Sorry for the cursing.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 28, 2018 8:37 PM EST

(true) FALLOUT IN SPACE.

One can dream?

As much as I like isometric games like Divinity and PoE, I hope this one is 3D. Been too long since we had an Obsidian 3D RPG...

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 28, 2018 8:42 PM EST

Artwork:

• 1467 posts
    November 28, 2018 9:09 PM EST
    Just, hell yes. Its definitely got a Fallout feel to it purely from the promotion so far (real Fallout) and I'm just so pumped for more Sci-Fi. We just don't get enough of them with RPGs.

My bet is on isometric though, its working for them and I think its just something that lets the company focus more only he writing/mechanics so I don't see it changing. Would love to be wrong, kinda..
    • 167 posts
    November 28, 2018 10:11 PM EST

Damn that 's nice! Hope they 'll live up to expectations and we 'llget a good rpg!

Now if only Rockstar were to enter the fantasy rpg genre. One can dream :D

• 321 posts
    November 28, 2018 10:15 PM EST
    If Rockstar were to enter the fantasy genre, then it'll be GTA, but with wizards. :P
    • 167 posts
    November 28, 2018 10:18 PM EST

Haha just made a mental image of GTA with wizards :D

• 1467 posts
    November 29, 2018 12:06 AM EST
    Sounds like more of a Saints Row sorta thing to me (well the later games at least). I'd rather have RDR but set in space all while trying to keep the exact same tone :P
    • 1467 posts
    November 29, 2018 12:06 AM EST
    Sounds like more of a Saints Row sorta thing to me (well the later games at least). I'd rather have RDR but set in space all while trying to keep the exact same tone :P
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 29, 2018 4:07 PM EST

Dragonborn2021 said: Just, hell yes. Its definitely got a Fallout feel to it purely from the promotion so far (real Fallout) and I'm just so pumped for more Sci-Fi. We just don't get enough of them with RPGs. My bet is on isometric though, its working for them and I think its just something that lets the company focus more only he writing/mechanics so I don't see it changing. Would love to be wrong, kinda..

Yeah, I think it's more likely to be isometric than not. However, if it is, it will definitely be a different kind to what Obsidian usually does, given that they aren't using the same engine they used for PoE games. If it is isometric, I wonder if it will be turn-based like Fallout or real-time like PoE and Baldur's Gate, single player or party based...