Forums » The Lounge

What Would You Like to See From the Photos/Videos Section?

• 1467 posts
    November 20, 2018 8:02 AM EST

Yo, so if you hadn't seen anything (can't blame you for that, haven't been outspoken) I was recently approached to host the Photo and Video sections of our site. You might notice that we now have 'Photo of the Day' and 'Featured Albums' being showcased on the front page...yeah that was, well okay it was Phil, but you know uhh. I've been doing some behind the scenes things for a few days getting ready too pitch myself as the best damn Host the sections have ever seen, but before that I wanted to take the time to have this discussion.

Is there anything you'd like to see from either section? And by this I don't mean Photos or Videos that I post (cause they're nothing special :P) but are there Discussions? Events? Crossovers with Other Groups? Content Types? Really anything you'd like to see that you can possibly think of, this is a chance to come out and shout it at me (or whisper, codially inform or any other form of communication).

I've got a few exciting plans, but honestly this is a section that's purely driven by YOU, the people who take awesome screenshots or post their art, or create interesting videos. So, while I may have ideas that I'd like to implement, I want to start by getting this crucial feedback. So throw it at me, no matter if you think it's a weird idea or the best idea ever, I want to hear your ideas :D

• 393 posts
    November 20, 2018 9:41 AM EST

I kind of miss the 10-page discussions that could appear under a pic. Used to post some Thalmory pics that sometimes caused those long discussions. Though I guess it's just me :D

• 321 posts
    November 20, 2018 10:04 AM EST
    You know, I don't mind if we could showcase some TES/Fallout fanart (and memes) around here with links to the source of course.
    • 197 posts
    November 20, 2018 10:37 AM EST
    I second Pocky’s suggestion. I’ve been thinking of making an album lately but I have no idea how to do it. Can I take photos I’ve already uploaded to the site - in builds and stories and things- and organize them into albums? One day I’ll sit down and read how to do something like that for myself.
    • 1467 posts
    November 20, 2018 5:27 PM EST

I second Pocky’s suggestion. I’ve been thinking of making an album lately but I have no idea how to do it. Can I take photos I’ve already uploaded to the site - in builds and stories and things- and organize them into albums? One day I’ll sit down and read how to do something like that for myself.

So the easiest way to create an album is just to start if off when you upload the pictures themselves, at least if your uploading them by going through the 'Add New Photos' on the Main Page. But you can definitely move already uploaded photos into an album, it's actually quite simple though as far as I can tell you do need to have an already created album. Basically all you do there is head to your photo, make sure your on a page like this one, and then scroll down and hit 'Move To Other Album', seclect your album and boom, condensed and all that.

To create the album the best way (there might be others) is just to do it when uploading an image, makes it really easy. :D

• 1467 posts
    November 20, 2018 5:33 PM EST

I kind of miss the 10-page discussions that could appear under a pic. Used to post some Thalmory pics that sometimes caused those long discussions. Though I guess it's just me :D

The THalmor bit might be more you than others, but the discussions are definitely something that I'd like to see come back too :D Those were always really interesting and created a nice sort of... unfocused content, but in a good way. Basically you could alter the discussion down any path, there were no rules about the group it was in and it was (technically) really hard to think of something as off topic. So they're definitely something I'd like to see come back, and I have noticed that Phil's ESO pics tend to draw those sort of discussions (not quite 10 pages, but 3 or 4 for sure), 

• 1467 posts
    November 20, 2018 5:37 PM EST

You know, I don't mind if we could showcase some TES/Fallout fanart (and memes) around here with links to the source of course.

Hmm, yeah I quite like that idea. I would like to take some time to figure out the best way to do that, because I'm sort of thinking that a full blown discussion would work better than people just uploading them...Not sure, on that though, you know I kinda wish we had some kind of 'shared album' system now that I think about it...

Ah anyway, that's a really nice idea Pocky, it'd be nice to show some love, and to be honest I like the idea of pushing art a bit more. We get plenty of people posting Screenshots but I can only imagine how many people are artists who just haven't posted a lot of their stuff.

• 393 posts
    November 20, 2018 5:44 PM EST

Dragonborn2021 said:

The THalmor bit might be more you than others, but the discussions are definitely something that I'd like to see come back too :D Those were always really interesting and created a nice sort of... unfocused content, but in a good way. Basically you could alter the discussion down any path, there were no rules about the group it was in and it was (technically) really hard to think of something as off topic. So they're definitely something I'd like to see come back, and I have noticed that Phil's ESO pics tend to draw those sort of discussions (not quite 10 pages, but 3 or 4 for sure), 

The Thalmor theme was one of the most obvious to evoke arguments discussions, though I'm pretty sure there are many other things that can start them. Phil's pics are a cool example of this because he often chooses pics that carry interesting lore concepts worthy of discussion.

• 1467 posts
    November 20, 2018 6:33 PM EST

The Thalmor theme was one of the most obvious to evoke arguments discussions, though I'm pretty sure there are many other things that can start them. Phil's pics are a cool example of this because he often chooses pics that carry interesting lore concepts worthy of discussion.

I know, I know. There were the old Civil War debates, obviously Phil's Lore Discussions always spurred some great activity, and a few other key discussions that really worked with the Photos Section quite well. 

• 393 posts
    November 20, 2018 6:56 PM EST

Dragonborn2021 said:

I know, I know. There were the old Civil War debates, obviously Phil's Lore Discussions always spurred some great activity, and a few other key discussions that really worked with the Photos Section quite well. 

Sometimes one pic is worth 1000 words)

• 1467 posts
    November 21, 2018 6:49 PM EST

Thought I'd start off mentioning one of the things I'm in the process of putting together.

Photo Prompts are going to be the equivelent to Events for the Photos Section to start off. Obviously the section doesn't lend itself that well to the typical large one month long events, it's just a bit weird to structure anything around doing a lot of work (or more aptly, spending a lot of time on a single photo) so the idea is to focus on content that's fun but really easy for anyone to get into. These 'Prompts' will have a single restriction, usually something quite broad and anyone can simply snap a screenshot that fits the restriction. An easy example is Costumes of the Commonwealth. Take a Fallout 4 Character, slap on an outfit, take a picture of it and write a short caption for the photo to tell a quick little story about that costume. This would be focused on for a week, then go to the archives where you can still post new pictures for the Prompt at any point, it'll just be...well not the focus for that week.

They won't run weekly (or at least they won't always) but it's just something fun to get people engaged and talking about photos. Really my main focus is to kind off...increase the number of people posting photos, and more importantly (to me at least) commenting on other photos. 

Any thoughts on these Prompts? Any suggestions for me to throw in the databank? Any thoughts on how to make them more interesting/appealing? 

• 321 posts
    November 21, 2018 7:04 PM EST
    Oh yeah, I remembered we had something like that for Skyrim back on the old Ning site. I think it was called the Armor Combo Catalogue. So yeah, good idea.
    • 393 posts
    November 22, 2018 4:59 AM EST

I'm totally loving this idea. Sounds like a lot of fun))

• 1467 posts
    November 23, 2018 2:07 AM EST

Sorry guys, didn't see these comments.

I'm totally loving this idea. Sounds like a lot of fun))

Glad you think so Thorien :D

Oh yeah, I remembered we had something like that for Skyrim back on the old Ning site. I think it was called the Armor Combo Catalogue. So yeah, good idea.
    Sort of yeah, it was more about just making some interesting armour sets/inspiring people but the general concept is pretty similar...I think it's still around but, well, the move probably screwed it up pretty bad.
    • 67 posts
    November 23, 2018 5:20 AM EST
    Hmm. Can we post from other RPG games other than fallout or Elder scrolls. I've gotta bunch of that I'd like to share eventually.
    • 70 posts
    November 23, 2018 5:21 AM EST
    I second Furrions question. Would love to share some Dragon's Dogma screenshots :)
    • 1467 posts
    November 23, 2018 5:48 AM EST

Yeah that's perfectly fine, would love to see some screenshots from any game :D

• 393 posts
    November 23, 2018 5:54 AM EST

DA