Forums » Fallout

POLL Are you going to play Fallout 76?

• 773 posts
    November 1, 2018 12:14 PM EDT

New poll for a new month...

And with the release of Fallout 76 around the corner, we are asking about your current stance on this game.

Choose from the options in the poll and share you reasons below.

• 773 posts
    November 1, 2018 12:28 PM EDT

Speaking purely personally, I'm on the fence right now with the game. 

On the positive, it appears that the game is more stable than I feared, albeit buggy as one expects with Bethesda. The negatives are that many YouTube reviewers are saying that the quests are generic and the gameworld feels empty and somewhat souless.

I'm still hoping that Bethesda will make good on their promise to be adding regular content, and that over time it will come to seem more appealing.

But, right now, I've got Red Dead Redemption II in the queue ahead of Fallout 76 as 'must play next' games...

• 694 posts
    November 1, 2018 3:47 PM EDT

So, I bought it! Pre-ordered it and actually tried to play the Beta on Tuesday night, but unfortunately was one of the many people unable to do so. My computer started downloading the game again and the download speeds were TERRIBLE. Seems like things are running smothly now though, so I plan on playing Betaq this evening! :D

• 1467 posts
    November 1, 2018 5:20 PM EDT

Hmm, I'm just not sure at all. To be honest I'm either buying it soon or not for a year and I have no real clue at the moment.

• 627 posts
    November 1, 2018 5:25 PM EDT

I'm fighting the urge to go out and pre-order it for access to the remaining betas partly because of they are all in the morning for us in Aus. But at this point I can't see myself not picking it up when it officially launches.

Edit: I'm currently losing...

This post was edited by Golden Fool at November 1, 2018 5:43 PM EDT
    • 627 posts
    November 1, 2018 7:11 PM EDT

Golden Fool said:

I'm fighting the urge to go out and pre-order it for access to the remaining betas partly because of they are all in the morning for us in Aus. But at this point I can't see myself not picking it up when it officially launches.

Edit: I'm currently losing...

My wallet lost. I'm downloading it now at just over 2mb/s so I should be ready for the next beta... I think.

• 1467 posts
    November 1, 2018 7:35 PM EDT
    My wallet lost. I'm downloading it now at just over 2mb/s so I should be ready for the next beta... I think.

Good luck with that, you never know when Bethesda will strike you down with a bug. Let us know how the B.E.T.A goes, because I am sorely tempteed to pick it up by Christmas.

• 694 posts
    November 1, 2018 7:46 PM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

Good luck with that, you never know when Bethesda will strike you down with a bug. Let us know how the B.E.T.A goes, because I am sorely tempteed to pick it up by Christmas.

Can confirm... it's pretty fun. It's not perfect, I can see things that could definitely improve, but for a BETA it is a pretty good time. :D Level 3 out the Vault right now and having a pretty fun time exploring the world.

• 627 posts
    November 1, 2018 8:17 PM EDT

Edana said:

Can confirm... it's pretty fun. It's not perfect, I can see things that could definitely improve, but for a BETA it is a pretty good time. :D Level 3 out the Vault right now and having a pretty fun time exploring the world.

At it's current rate I think I'll have finished downloading it 1 hour after this Beta ends.

• 1467 posts
    November 1, 2018 8:37 PM EDT
    Have you had any early opinions on the full experience? Specifically regarding stability (which is my main concern by now). Its harder to pick out in videos since Youtubers have generally better connections.
    • 627 posts
    November 1, 2018 9:16 PM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said: Have you had any early opinions on the full experience? Specifically regarding stability (which is my main concern by now). Its harder to pick out in videos since Youtubers have generally better connections.

Once Sunday hits I'll let you know how my Aussie internet does with it since that will be most relevant to you.

• 127 posts
    November 2, 2018 12:27 PM EDT

From what little I've seen of the Beta, it looks like fun, but lacking a little life / activity, which will ony grow with time.  I'll need a machine capable of running it, though, and that's money that I just don't have at the moment, and I'd rather get my tattoos sorted out first before buying some video games, so yeah.  Between Oblivion, ESO, CK2 and Minecraft, I've got plenty to keep me entertained for the moment.

• 700 posts
    November 2, 2018 10:49 PM EDT

99% no, 1% absolutely not. I answered that it's "not a proper Fallout game" because it was the closest to "no." I like my Fallout (and Skyrim) games single-player only. Besides, if I wanted to grind to no discernible end I'd play No Man's Sky or go to work. This will fall off my map like every other spinoff not made by Obsidian. Sorry to rip a fart all over your giddy conversation, but I voted the same as one-fourth of the people who have voted, and I wanted to break the ice for them. 

• 627 posts
    November 2, 2018 11:04 PM EDT

Legion said:

99% no, 1% absolutely not. I answered that it's "not a proper Fallout game" because it was the closest to "no." I like my Fallout (and Skyrim) games single-player only. Besides, if I wanted to grind to no discernible end I'd play No Man's Sky or go to work. This will fall off my map like every other spinoff not made by Obsidian. Sorry to rip a fart all over your giddy conversation, but I voted the same as one-fourth of the people who have voted, and I wanted to break the ice for them. 

That's perfectly understandable. This game certainly isn't for everybody (if the internet since E3 was anything to go by). I want to hear people's reasons for not wanting to get the game; without the hate-filled ranting that so many on the internet turn to.

For me this game seems to do everything that I enjoy in Fallout 4 and it lets me dick around with a couple of others while doing those things, but some just like yourself don't want that added component of other people and I'd be an ass to hold it against them.

• 700 posts
    November 2, 2018 11:22 PM EDT

I feel ya. I don't hate F76 -- I nothing it. The MMO format doesn't keep my attention, and Borderlands ruined me on RNG grindfests forever. And it's not necessarily that I don't want other people around. It's more to do with the fact that F76 was designed to be a multiplayer game, and single-player-functionality isn't the same as a game designed to be single player.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 3, 2018 4:26 PM EDT

I've debated with myself if I should write why I'm not into 76. I won't, because I don't want to sound too grumpy. But I'm with Legion.

• 627 posts
    November 3, 2018 9:11 PM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said: Have you had any early opinions on the full experience? Specifically regarding stability (which is my main concern by now). Its harder to pick out in videos since Youtubers have generally better connections.

I said I'd let you know how it was and I'm here to keep my word. In the couple of hours (I spent some time adjusting the graphics settings and getting an fps counter working) I didn't have any problems with my connection to the server. It is a little harder to tell without some kind of display that other online games have, but yeah it was pretty smooth. Oh and the game seems to run better then Fallout 4 did since I haven't gotten any major fps drops like I do when playing Fallout 4.

• 6 posts
    November 4, 2018 1:36 AM EST

There's no poll option for "I've had it pre-ordered since day one, so yes, of course I will be playing it.  Ad Victoriam."

• 627 posts
    November 4, 2018 1:44 AM EST

LyonsKnight said:

There's no poll option for "I've had it pre-ordered since day one, so yes, of course I will be playing it.  Ad Victoriam."

You're right, and there should be one for "I pre-ordered it the day after voting in this poll" which I can retroactively select. 

• 1467 posts
    November 4, 2018 1:59 AM EST
    I said I'd let you know how it was and I'm here to keep my word. In the couple of hours (I spent some time adjusting the graphics settings and getting an fps counter working) I didn't have any problems with my connection to the server. It is a little harder to tell without some kind of display that other online games have, but yeah it was pretty smooth. Oh and the game seems to run better then Fallout 4 did since I haven't gotten any major fps drops like I do when playing Fallout 4.

I forgot how taxing F4 can be at times, can't remember exactly where I was but it was in one of the city-regions (not near Diamond City really) and it was just cutting into me terribly for a good 15 minutes. I think it's something that most people are surprised by with Fallout: 76, because with it being online you'd expect it to be a bit staggered, but I haven't heard many complaints about frame rate since that initial BETA, maybe they've really streamlined it (which is sort of strange because enemies seem to gather in larger groups and plenty of buildings aren't new load zones but...).

• 627 posts
    November 4, 2018 2:35 AM EST

Dragonborn2021 said:

I forgot how taxing F4 can be at times, can't remember exactly where I was but it was in one of the city-regions (not near Diamond City really) and it was just cutting into me terribly for a good 15 minutes.

A big part of that is the sheer number of buildings, objects and characters/creatures being loaded in such a small area around Diamond City. From what I've seen of a relatively small part of 76's map what areas that are built up aren't nearly as large as Boston. The biggest "town" that I've encountered so far is around the Mothman Museum (I made some great omelettes there) and at most that was a dozen small buildings.

• 167 posts
    November 4, 2018 2:06 PM EST

I am taking a break from MMOs at the moment so I won't be trying FO76. That being said I have been playing MMOs of all genres since I was like 12 or 13 (and competitive at some point) and I had a good look at reviews and gameplay regarding FO76 and I wasn't impressed neither from the reviews or the gameplay. Most of them were negative and what was surprising was that some well known gaming youtube channels that support / promote Bethesda content had reviews weighing more towards negativity. To be honest from what I 've seen there are a lot of problems with the game and some are very basic problems (keybinds for PC, non customizable DOF / fov, bad UI, graphics etc). Now, if modding for such things like bug fixes, UI customization, keybinds, graphics, optimization will be supported and be free to get then that will explain a lot. Because that will explain that the game will be released with the "modding mentality" which would be that we will get the main thing out and then modders will come and solve the rest of the things that would have taken time and resources from the developer's side to make during the initial release.

All in all I think it is not a bad game to play casually and have some fun but it is not a game worthy yet from what I 've seen to invest heavily in. If it was just another online game and didn't have the history it has behind it with all the other FO rpg series I believe the reviews would have been much more brutal because it lacks in some very basic elements that MMO players are used to.

This post was edited by Duvain at November 7, 2018 2:39 AM EST