Forums » Elder Scrolls

Your Biggest TES: 6 Expectation?

• 1467 posts
    October 26, 2018 1:57 AM EDT

Simple question with hopefully not so simple answers. So yeah, we've got ages until the game comes out but I thought it'd be interesting to discuss our biggest expectations for the game. 

• 1467 posts
    October 26, 2018 2:04 AM EDT

I'll start this one off with a cheat answer :P

For Story, I expect that the Thalmor are going to be heavily involved in some manner. It's a boring expectation but not something guarenteed so I'm starting here. I think with the level of focus that Bethesda has seemingly put into the Thalmor (both in ESO and Skyrim) it only makes sense for them to be a major aspect of the story, and if it continues off from any time period directly following Skyrim (though that's a whole other discussion that could be had :P), then they're the logical antagonist of the story. That said, I wouldn't mind a story that allowed the Thalmor to be a bit more neutral, or a faction that you could join (either to lead or to change).

For Gameplay (here's the cheat), my biggest expectation is that Crafting is going to change immensly. It's another cheap answer I guess, but with ESO and Fallout:76, hell even Fallout 4's crafting systems we've seen Bethesda (or Zennimax...just pointing ESO out because it's TES) continue to expand and improve the crafting systems there games have. ESO's major inclusion was Motifs and different designs. Fallout 4 added the modification system and now Fallout 76 is doing a tonne with the Crafting System that's relatively new, so I'd really like to see TES:6 take a few steps forward. Maybe, something kinda like Dragon Age: Inquisition's Schematics, but only as a way to enhance Smithing late-game. Essentially the idea is that you'd add in Legendary Schematics which contain really interesting and powerful artifacts available for crafting...Basically make it possible to create weapons that stand up to the weapons you can find already, but without relying on 'Quality' like Skyrim (that's a dumb system really). 

• 393 posts
    October 26, 2018 4:44 AM EDT

I would really love it if they'd make the Thalmor a joinable faction. But a more real expectation, and my greatest hope, is that at least TES6 won't feel like they tied my hands, tossed me into a cart and are dragging me through the questline while I can only scream "no! I don't want to go there!" Sadly, everything I've seen lately suggests that it is likely to turn out like that. Because the guys in Bethesda are apparently certain that we all are total imbeciles.

• 70 posts
    October 26, 2018 5:13 AM EDT

I want More guilds/Factions. And not just oh you can join us and do like 5 mission and become leader. I want to actually work my way up a Faction. Like Thorien said Thalmor would be one of those but i would want an actual story and side Missions/Radiant Missions.

Also dont force the Main quest down my Throat.

And i would love to have more armor pieces like shoulder pads, seperate clothes into legs and chest again more weapon types like shortswords shortbows lances Spears and such. 

Magic should feel like magic again. More damage types like drain spells or poison type spells unlock spells  more summoning options like a horse or armor or i dont know a bed roll, the guards talk about summoning a bed so why not :D expand on some magic types like Necromancy or Illusion, im sure we could get something like throw voice as a Illusion Spell or a clone that takes 1 or 2 hits before it vanishes. I dont really want Spellmaking from Oblivion back since that got whacky and op really fast but give us more options. Fireballs that split of into smaller fireballs that set the ground on fire. A shock spell that stuns enemys like a tazzer a Ice spell that makes the floor slippery so you fall over when you Sprint over it things like that, i want more than just fireball < a slightly bigger fireball  < an exploding fireball < normal Fireball again  thats just boring and mostly the reason i dont usually use destruction even though most my builds are pure mages :D

• 321 posts
    October 26, 2018 5:13 AM EDT
    I wish for the quests to be a bit more dynamic. Let say that there are two ways you can progress through a questline. One way might be easier than the other, but it may also lead to a negative outcome. I also like for those small miscellaneous quests to lead to even more mini-quests, like a quest to exterminate a group of 'bandits' might lead to the option of helping those bandits.
    • 70 posts
    October 26, 2018 5:37 AM EDT

A-Pocky-Hah! said: I wish for the quests to be a bit more dynamic. Let say that there are two ways you can progress through a questline. One way might be easier than the other, but it may also lead to a negative outcome. I also like for those small miscellaneous quests to lead to even more mini-quests, like a quest to exterminate a group of 'bandits' might lead to the option of helping those bandits.

I would love this. There are a a very small amount of things like that in Skyrim but they dont do anything big. One i remember is with when the jarl tells you to follow him to Farengar you can just pass the jarl and talk to Farengar who will tell you to wait for the Jarl. But if you have skill in Enchantment Alchemy or Destruction you get unique dialogue like this "Hmm. I think you're overheating that essence of spriggan sap..."

What? I'm not even... ah, I see. You have some knowledge of the alchemical art."  

And he will proceed to hear you out but all you do is skip a Conversation with the Jarl so yeah.

• 1467 posts
    October 26, 2018 6:38 AM EDT

I would really love it if they'd make the Thalmor a joinable faction. But a more real expectation, and my greatest hope, is that at least TES6 won't feel like they tied my hands, tossed me into a cart and are dragging me through the questline while I can only scream "no! I don't want to go there!" Sadly, everything I've seen lately suggests that it is likely to turn out like that. Because the guys in Bethesda are apparently certain that we all are total imbeciles.

Yeah I'm really hoping that TES6 really, really doesn't try and, not 'dumb down' anything, but...I do think that Bethesda needs to up their game a little bit when it comes to player freedom and...well RPG mechanics beyond "Build your character however you want" which Skyrim followed. I think (luckily) we're starting to see the industry make a jump with RPG's being judged a lot heavier than they used to be. Because to be honest, Skyrim (if it were released today) probably wouldn't be as massive as it was in 2011. 

• 1467 posts
    October 26, 2018 6:43 AM EDT

I want More guilds/Factions. And not just oh you can join us and do like 5 mission and become leader. I want to actually work my way up a Faction. Like Thorien said Thalmor would be one of those but i would want an actual story and side Missions/Radiant Missions.

Hell yeah, I do think Factions need to be a focus for TES6. I mean, I try not to do it that often (but I do :P) but I think the difference between Morrowind or Oblivion's Factions and Skyrim's are massive...

Also dont force the Main quest down my Throat.

Oh yeah definitely, I really want something a bit more like Morrowind's.

And i would love to have more armor pieces like shoulder pads, seperate clothes into legs and chest again more weapon types like shortswords shortbows lances Spears and such. 

Eh, I'm not sure about the armour pieces because there is a legitimate argument to be made against them, specifically regarding how insane it can get if you can enchant all the different pieces. It's a kind of...broken aspect of the game, and I don't entirely see a positive benefit to it. Not against it, I just think it'll be hard to do it in a good way (and I do know that you can just not enchant the gear, but I like game's to feel balanced and not make something feel way more overpowered).

But yeah, Spears are a definite IMO, we need Spears (and I guess other weapons) :P

Magic should feel like magic again. More damage types like drain spells or poison type spells unlock spells  more summoning options like a horse or armor or i dont know a bed roll, the guards talk about summoning a bed so why not :D expand on some magic types like Necromancy or Illusion, im sure we could get something like throw voice as a Illusion Spell or a clone that takes 1 or 2 hits before it vanishes. I dont really want Spellmaking from Oblivion back since that got whacky and op really fast but give us more options. Fireballs that split of into smaller fireballs that set the ground on fire. A shock spell that stuns enemys like a tazzer a Ice spell that makes the floor slippery so you fall over when you Sprint over it things like that, i want more than just fireball < a slightly bigger fireball  < an exploding fireball < normal Fireball again  thats just boring and mostly the reason i dont usually use destruction even though most my builds are pure mages :D

I definitely, 100% agree to everything you've mentioned here. Essentially I straight up think that if Skyrim had Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim as a built-in aspect of the game, Magic would be at least 3 times better :P But yeah I think if there's any Gameplay element I'd like to see expanded on, it'd definitely be the Magic. I think, while there were some aspects of Skyrim's Magic that I enjoyed (Dual-Wielding, the idea of Master Spells), but I think variety would be amazing.

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at October 26, 2018 6:45 AM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    October 26, 2018 6:48 AM EDT

I wish for the quests to be a bit more dynamic. Let say that there are two ways you can progress through a questline. One way might be easier than the other, but it may also lead to a negative outcome. I also like for those small miscellaneous quests to lead to even more mini-quests, like a quest to exterminate a group of 'bandits' might lead to the option of helping those bandits.

Can I just say Hell Yeah and leave :P Nah, I think this is an aspect of the game that I'd really, really like to see, but sadly don't expect to. It'd be bloody great if the game created quests (and questlines) that were dynamic, with actual impacts based on how you choose to do things during earlier quests, but also the world-state you've created. For example, if the Companions were dramatically changed if you had already completed the Civil War or College of Winterhold, it'd be just about the best :P 

But yeah, I agree 100% with this one :D

• 70 posts
    October 26, 2018 6:49 AM EDT

Well that not really an Argument when you can be god in skyrim with 6 enchantet items. They should overhall enchanting itself really 

• 393 posts
    October 26, 2018 7:50 AM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

Yeah I'm really hoping that TES6 really, really doesn't try and, not 'dumb down' anything, but...I do think that Bethesda needs to up their game a little bit when it comes to player freedom and...well RPG mechanics beyond "Build your character however you want" which Skyrim followed. I think (luckily) we're starting to see the industry make a jump with RPG's being judged a lot heavier than they used to be. Because to be honest, Skyrim (if it were released today) probably wouldn't be as massive as it was in 2011. 

That's the thing, I'm afraid that instead they'll take away all the choice except the character creation. They might as well return the classes, which, in my humble subjective opinion, will limit the freedom of character building and make the gameplay much more boring. If I wanted to play a mage who cannot do anything except magic, I'd play DA.

A jump you say? Looks more like a fall to me. It appears almost like in a few years there will be no such thing as RPG at all. Because what kind of RPG it is when you cannot choose what R you want to P?))))

• 1467 posts
    October 26, 2018 8:29 AM EDT

That's the thing, I'm afraid that instead they'll take away all the choice except the character creation. They might as well return the classes, which, in my humble subjective opinion, will limit the freedom of character building and make the gameplay much more boring. If I wanted to play a mage who cannot do anything except magic, I'd play DA.

A jump you say? Looks more like a fall to me. It appears almost like in a few years there will be no such thing as RPG at all. Because what kind of RPG it is when you cannot choose what R you want to P?))))

Eh, sorry. The jump isn't in quality (though I think Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny and Divinity: Originl Sin are solid. Tyranny in particular is a really interesting, really great RPG from what I've heard) but in how games are judged these days. There's a lot more responsibility put on making a game as good as possible. It's possible that I'm wrong there, but it's just the opinion that I've picked up over the years.

• 321 posts
    October 26, 2018 8:32 AM EDT
    Dunno about you, but I like the idea of a class system where you build your class around the three main constellations (Mage, Thief, Warrior) then choose six skills you want to focus on, kinda like the Character Creation Overhaul mod. I feel like that way we get more freedom to customize our character.
    • 1467 posts
    October 26, 2018 8:36 AM EDT
    Well that not really an Argument when you can be god in skyrim with 6 enchantet items. They should overhall enchanting itself really 

I don't entirely agree with the first part. I do think that they should overhaul the system but I can't say that Enchanting is at all broken by itself in Skyrim. Sure there's the Resto-Loop, but that's not Enchanting by itself... I suppose the way I put it is that I don't believe Bethesda wouldn't fuck it up, there are ways to do it, but I think they'd create something a bit more similar to Morrowind's system than Skyrim's.

Other then that, I don't entirely see the point of needing to put so many different pieces together to create a set...I don't hate it, and I didn't want to start an argument, but I thought the possible negatives outweigh the possible positives.

• 393 posts
    October 26, 2018 8:40 AM EDT

I like to be able to create any kind of character I want. Like a sneaky mage or a tank mage or a spellsword or a blacksmith/alchemist one, or whatever else might come to my mind, without being restricted by any classes.

• 70 posts
    October 26, 2018 8:50 AM EDT

Oblivion did it pretty good in my opinion. You pick stealth magic or warrior which gives you +5 to those Skills. Then you pick 7 major Skills no matter which class. So snealy mage etc is possible. You only get exp when you lvl up those 7 skills but you can still lvl up the Skills Ou didnt choose. The 7 you picked will all go up to apprentice instantly and will level up a little faster overall. Here is the wiki page about it ^^ https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Classes#Custom_Classes

• 393 posts
    October 26, 2018 8:57 AM EDT

And what if I want 10 instead of 7? What if I need some skill only for one spell? I can find ways to create restrictions all by myself, no need to create that in the game itself.

• 70 posts
    October 26, 2018 9:06 AM EDT

You can. All skills level up. The 7 you picked just give you level ups. So you can still use every skill but you just dont get exp to level up. The skills still rank up as in skyrim. they just dont give you player levels. So you can have a school of magic for just a spell. Using that spell will rank up the school just not youre player level ^^

• 393 posts
    October 26, 2018 9:11 AM EDT

Ah, it does seem ok then.

• 70 posts
    October 26, 2018 9:14 AM EDT

I really liked it ^^ but i get What  you meant i would hate to be restricted in classes. 

• 393 posts
    October 26, 2018 9:46 AM EDT

I would forgive Bethesda the classes if they make  some good quests to make for it. My hope for that is almost dead, but hope is a surprisingly resilient creature.

• 197 posts
    October 26, 2018 10:34 AM EDT
    I think I’m in the minority in hoping they don’t change the mechanics too much from the Oblivion/Skyrim template. In fact, I sort of expect them to keep the immersiveness of Skyrim and combine it with the depth of Oblivion. I might be a little too idealistic here, but here’s hoping the folks at Bethesda read what people like us say and take it to heart.

And I would LOVE to see something like Pocky said, more dynamic quests. Consequences for choosing one option over the other.

I’d also love to see better relationships: friendships, followers, enemies as well as romantic potential.
    • 167 posts
    October 26, 2018 11:15 AM EDT

Ugh sorry went through half of the comments and will go through the rest later but I 'll drop this here first.

Also I don't want what I say to be seen as bashing at Bethesda Game Studios I really like Skyrim but many things could be better,  it is just harsh love. :D (I won't speak about Zenimax or Bethesda Softworks and how they affect production, if anyone sees things around they should have already an opinion on them)

1) Questlines. First and most important of all I pray that we get better questlines compared to Skyrim's and not the thing do 10 quests become the coolest kid around and everyone loves you. What I mean here is not the WC recreation time stories from Skyrim but questlines like we had in previous ES games. I 've only played Oblivion (compare this to Skyrim's) but from what I hear Morrowind was also the same with much better questlines compared to Skyrim. But yeah they will probably (kinda forced maybe?) have to "streamline" (how much I hate that word..) it to target certain audiences probabaly kids that might not be familiar with rpgs or the buzzcrowd. :D Really some more depth would be great but my expectations in this aspect are very low to non existant, let's just hope modders will step up to make things better.

2) Game bugs. I would like not to have an unofficial patch mod that will fix hundreds, yeah let that sink in for a moment,  hundreds of mistakes Bethesda did in the game along with many other bugfix, optimization mods.

3) Thalmor and Factions. Regarding the Thalmor, I think what Bethesda did with them in Skyrim is so damn lame. They just wanted someone to play the generic bad guy to cite the crowd mentality for the simple man and hype up the whole Skyrim, Nords, Vikings yeah super hype "pukes rainbow". If the game was placed in Summerset during the Tiber Septim wars everyone now would sing the same song about the Imperials. I do not support one or the other side but it looks like a very poor presentation in regards to the lore of factions from a historic viewpoint. They only give the human side of things without any insight into the Dominion side of things one or two quests would be enough. If they were to be the antagonists I think it would be very one sided in terms of freedom of choice but the cool thing would be as mentioned to be able to join such factions like the Thalmor or other secondary ones like you can join Imperials, Stormclaoks and such.

Given all these years I pray that they have improved their engine to make the place better at least the towns. Skyrim towns let's just say leave a lot to be desired. There were also many other towns that Skyrim has in lore that were left out.

4) Character, Class creation and progress. I 'm not saying to go back into Oblivion's because I do think Skyrim's is better but at least some of the bigger choises we make about the character should matter in the long run and also the improvement in perks and especially crafting skills, speech and sneak and bring something like acrobatics back.

5) Better Combat AI. Not much to be said here just that vanilla combat AI sucks hard. Try combat mods and then go back to vanilla and see the feeling you get.

6) Decision making. Make our decisions in quests matter more and have multiple choises and effects and be affected by factions we represent.

7) Better animations. Oh boy they suck so hard whenever I use a bow, sword or hand to hand from 3d person with vanilla animations I look like a damn ape trying to fight with weapons...

8) Power Fantasy thing. Forget the lower profile toned down main hero we 'll probably have the power fantasy thing again because this is what Todd is all about in games make you feel like the coolest boi around but in Skyrim it was done poorly. What I mean is that you knew you were cool but never were you given the option to show your power in any of the dialogues. Please make power fantasy right at least. Where in Skyrim apart from the College of Winterhold entrance with Faralda did I had the option to say something like "Silence peasant I am the Dragonborn, Archmage, Harbinger" or w/e well, nowhere.

Edit: I would like to second what Ilani said above about more depth into relationships and they could make some followers, companions with more lines like we have modded ones with Inigo, Sofia, Arissa, Hoth and more. A few amorous adventures wouldn't hurt as well. :D

Well these are a few I can think of here and they are some of the most popular things going on around from many, many others playing ES games. I 've played a great deal of games rpgs, fps, mmorpgs, moba and my mentality is to never expect much. I  strongly believe we won't see much in ragards to numbers 1, 2 and probably 6,8. Well, let's just hope for the best but I never do that cause it's my gamer's mentality to just adapt at whatever comes. :P

Sorry for the long post I 'm usually writing something else and come back here to continue and the comments just grow it's sorcery! :/

This post was edited by Duvain at October 26, 2018 12:54 PM EDT
    • 275 posts
    October 26, 2018 3:34 PM EDT

What I expect: a more linear storyline than Skyrim's quests, with even more one-dimensional and boring characters (and to a greater magnitude, if at all possible), enough bugs to make a cockroach infestation look small in comparison, even further simplified skills and equipment, boring ass gameplay, handholding us like we're an infant who has just learned to walk, and modding tools out the ass because why fix it yourself when your players can instead?

What I want: Good storylines and characters reminiscent of Morrowind, good gameplay with combat dodging and mechanics that encourage tactical play, a wider array of spells with scaling designed to make early spells still good later on, an expanded companion system that allows you to give complex orders in the heat of combat, good side quests, Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild questlines that encourage tactical stealth and full-on combat in some scenarios can get you kicked out or demoted and unable to continue the questline for some time until you prove yourself capable of the tasks handed to you, an interesting antagonist, and modding tools out the ass.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at October 26, 2018 3:35 PM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    October 27, 2018 12:17 AM EDT

What I expect: a more linear storyline than Skyrim's quests, with even more one-dimensional and boring characters (and to a greater magnitude, if at all possible), enough bugs to make a cockroach infestation look small in comparison, even further simplified skills and equipment, boring ass gameplay, handholding us like we're an infant who has just learned to walk, and modding tools out the ass because why fix it yourself when your players can instead?

I'd much prefer to disagree with you on that expectation but sadly it's definitely probable...

What I want: Good storylines and characters reminiscent of Morrowind, good gameplay with combat dodging and mechanics that encourage tactical play, a wider array of spells with scaling designed to make early spells still good later on, an expanded companion system that allows you to give complex orders in the heat of combat, good side quests, Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild questlines that encourage tactical stealth and full-on combat in some scenarios can get you kicked out or demoted and unable to continue the questline for some time until you prove yourself capable of the tasks handed to you, an interesting antagonist, and modding tools out the ass.

Spell Scaling is something that I think is fairly difficult to do well, because on one hand you don't want to overpower anything but you also don't want to make spells as weak as they were in Skyrim's late-game. I have to say that the easiest method I've seen for spell/ability scaling is in a lot of MMO's where you just use weapon damage to act as the primary damage indicator. Dragon Age: Inquisition or Paths of Exile are particularly good examples where even your early game spells are viable late game (In DA:I I used the first two Shock Spells as my primary spells for the entire game), and they use that system. I'd personally prefer something a bit different, but it seems like the idea of 'Spell' does 150% of Weapon Damage (which means that all boosts would effect that weapon damage, and thus spell damage) is the most consistant form of Spell Scaling.

Anything more specific you'd like to see regarding Spell Scaling?