Forums » Elder Scrolls

Skyrim on Nintendo Switch - My experience

• 56 posts
    October 15, 2018 1:12 PM EDT

Hey everybody,

I feel like sharing my experience with Skyrim on the Nintendo Switch. So Skyrim has been out on the Switch for a year almost. I'm pretty new to the device as I got the Switch and Skyrim only a week ago and my experiences so far have been really enjoyable. Prior to purchasing, I haven't played Skyrim at least for a year, so to me it feels like meeting an old friend and seeing them in a new light. Since 2011 I have been playing Skyrim on my crappy laptop. Over the years my laptop has gotten old and slower, the hardware has gotten dusty and it only runs at 25fps for maximum 15 minutes and then it drops to 18fps or even lower. So playing Skyrim on Switch in 720p 30fps is like the greatest thing ever. The Special Edition graphic changes on the Switch version also add to a new experience, it's looking fresher and at first glance you wouldn't notice the age of 6 years.

On PC I have only played the very first playthrough without mods and after that I have added more and more mods, mostly armor or interface mods. There are very little mods that I miss, the armor mods for example I don't miss at all but some interface mods, like the one that adds the Sun position and time to the HUD is one of them. Sometimes I ask myself why Bethesda didn't include this in the HUD with the SE.  

All in all, on the Switch I'm really able to savor the whole Skyrim experience once again as it runs really fluid both in handheld and docked mode. Being able to play Skyrim on the bus/train/anywhere was the main reason why I finally got a Switch and until now it's the only game I have. I still play Skyrim on the PC to test out builds (console cheats FTW) or just have some fun with mods.

The controls on the Switch are okay. In handheld mode they feel natural and easy to reach. On TV I play with both joycons and joycons as classic controller. I ahve big hands but the joycon controller doesn't feel too small or crammed and I've played for hours without tiring hands. Using the joycons to control the weapons by movement is cool and the first moments you think that it's the only way you'll ever going to play, but to be honest it needs some practice as the controls are not very accurate in my experience. I always go back to controller mode, though.

So this is my experience with Skyrim on the Switch so far.

Do you play it on the Switch as well? What is your experience? Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks for reading.

AllSpark 

• 694 posts
    October 16, 2018 10:16 AM EDT

This is really good intel, thanks for writing this up AllSpark! I've actually considered grabbing a Switch literally just so I could play Skyrim on a lunch break or something. I think that probably says more about me and my obsessive, relentless fandom than it does how much I want a Switch though. xD I've only had a little experience playing with the Switch, but my experience was the same as yours when docked to a TV. The controls feel a little fumbly because of their size and I even have normal sized hands. I'm still used to a controller being a two-handed affair, and having a controller smaller than a cellphone in my hand still doesn't feel quite right yet. I have had more practice with the Oculus Rift, but I think just the sheer size of those controllers makes it feel more natural. 

If I could grab a Switch on sale for a decent price, or like new used, I probably bite on it and probably only use it in handheld mode. Thanks for the info on this! It is something I've been considering for a while. 

• 743 posts
    October 16, 2018 1:11 PM EDT

Edana said:

This is really good intel, thanks for writing this up AllSpark! I've actually considered grabbing a Switch literally just so I could play Skyrim on a lunch break or something. I think that probably says more about me and my obsessive, relentless fandom than it does how much I want a Switch though. xD I've only had a little experience playing with the Switch, but my experience was the same as yours when docked to a TV. The controls feel a little fumbly because of their size and I even have normal sized hands. I'm still used to a controller being a two-handed affair, and having a controller smaller than a cellphone in my hand still doesn't feel quite right yet. I have had more practice with the Oculus Rift, but I think just the sheer size of those controllers makes it feel more natural. 

If I could grab a Switch on sale for a decent price, or like new used, I probably bite on it and probably only use it in handheld mode. Thanks for the info on this! It is something I've been considering for a while. 

Lol, I thought I was the only one thinking about getting a Switch only to play Skyrim on lunch break. 

Thanks for the insight, Sparks. I'm still on the fence about it, unfortunately. I think I need to see one IRL to get a feel for it and see whether or not it's for me. 

• 56 posts
    October 16, 2018 2:06 PM EDT

Edana said:

Glad it's useful to you, Edana. Skyrim in handheld mode on the go really feels like it was always meant to be used that way.

• 56 posts
    October 16, 2018 2:17 PM EDT

Rogue said:

Edana said:

Lol, I thought I was the only one thinking about getting a Switch only to play Skyrim on lunch break. 

Thanks for the insight, Sparks. I'm still on the fence about it, unfortunately. I think I need to see one IRL to get a feel for it and see whether or not it's for me. 

You're welcome. Personally, I don't regret getting a Switch at all, if that helps :P