Forums » Elder Scrolls

About TES seasons: summer, autumn, winter, spring

• 224 posts
    October 4, 2018 6:15 PM EDT

Hello, I have a question I can't believe I haven't found it yet researching about tes, I don't trust in http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Calendar, so that do not count. I haven't saw words about it neither in UESP or Redit https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/ :/, I would like to know in a very lorefriendly way, also with link sources about seasons as in real life summer, autumn, winter, spring and their month relatives respect TES lore, for example what season in tes is at Morning Star month?, summer, winter, autumn, spring?

*(in tes seasons are called months sometimes)

TES months    Real life months

Morning Star    (January)
    Sun's Dawn      (February)
    First Seed        (March)
    Rain's Hand      (April)
    Second Seed    (May)
    Mid Year          (June)
    Sun's Height    (July)
    Last Seed        (August)
    Hearthfire        (September)
    Frost Fall         (October)
    Sun's Dusk      (November)
    Evening Star    (December)

I will appreciate respones and If you can add source, thanks!

• 321 posts
    October 4, 2018 7:08 PM EDT
    Well I generally assume that the seasons in TES are roughly the same as in our world. Summer would be Mid Year (June) to Hearthfire (September), Spring would be First Seed (March) to Mid Year (June), and so on. Of course, given Tamriel's landscape, I think not all the provinces will have the same four seasons. Morrowind might as well have a winter with ash instead of snow.
    • 224 posts
    October 5, 2018 8:55 PM EDT

A-Pocky-Hah! said: Well I generally assume that the seasons in TES are roughly the same as in our world. Summer would be Mid Year (June) to Hearthfire (September), Spring would be First Seed (March) to Mid Year (June), and so on. Of course, given Tamriel's landscape, I think not all the provinces will have the same four seasons. Morrowind might as well have a winter with ash instead of snow.

Thanks for response A-Pocky-Hah!, so you say same as our world?, so are you Chilean?, why are you saying summer is in june?, summer starts 21th december and ends 21th march... oh sorry I'm not part of the same world you say ... :/ , lol, I'm from Chile southamerica, this is how seasons are here, and in other continents are different that is why asked about TES seasons, TES as a living immersive world I guess have its own seasons on their own "months" (morning star, sun's dawn, first seed, etc.), I don't know what country are you from, as the description of summer starting in june I think you refer to United States, I wonder where is the creativity of TES developers If made it that way

This post was edited by Medieval at October 5, 2018 8:56 PM EDT
    • 393 posts
    October 5, 2018 9:42 PM EDT

Since apparently Tamriel is located in the northern half of Nirn, you can safely assume that the seasons there work the same as Eurasia and North America, Eurasia more likely because it is more similar in shape. To be even more accurate, you can compare each province with the part of our world that it resembles the most, like Hammerfell to Middle East, Cyrodiil to Southern Europe and Skyrim to Northern Europe and Russia. Google will give you more insight.

This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at October 5, 2018 9:43 PM EDT
    • 224 posts
    October 5, 2018 11:24 PM EDT

Justiciar Thorien said:

Since apparently Tamriel is located in the northern half of Nirn, you can safely assume that the seasons there work the same as Eurasia and North America, Eurasia more likely because it is more similar in shape. To be even more accurate, you can compare each province with the part of our world that it resembles the most, like Hammerfell to Middle East, Cyrodiil to Southern Europe and Skyrim to Northern Europe and Russia. Google will give you more insight.

Thank you for response Justiciar Thorien, I just would like to know for example on writing to say: " Was a cold morning at Evening Star as this season is the most colder of all", I would like to know about very canon or lorefriendly, If know some references of some in-game gameplay, in-game books, etc., please tell me. I know Thalmores know it and don't want to tell anyone (joke)

• 393 posts
    October 6, 2018 5:33 AM EDT

Well, a morning in Evening Star will be definitely colder than a morning in Sun's Height, though how cold exactly it would be depends on the location. If you are in Skyrim, then expect the period from Sun's Dusk to Rain's hand to be snowy and cold. Temperatures like -30 would be normal in Evening Star, Morning Star and Sun's Dawn, sometimes even in First Seed, if you are in a region like Whiterun or Eastmarch. It would be even colder in Dawnstar and Winterhold, slightly warmer in the Reach and Falkreath. You can easily get the notion of Skyrim climate if you google about the various regions of Russia and Northern Europe, even the shape of the area is quite similar.

The further you are to the south, the difference in weather between the seasons will be less and less drastic, to the point where somewhere in Leyawiin there will hardly be any difference beside the frequency of rain.

• 224 posts
    October 6, 2018 8:42 PM EDT

Justiciar Thorien said:

Well, a morning in Evening Star will be definitely colder than a morning in Sun's Height, though how cold exactly it would be depends on the location. If you are in Skyrim, then expect the period from Sun's Dusk to Rain's hand to be snowy and cold. Temperatures like -30 would be normal in Evening Star, Morning Star and Sun's Dawn, sometimes even in First Seed, if you are in a region like Whiterun or Eastmarch. It would be even colder in Dawnstar and Winterhold, slightly warmer in the Reach and Falkreath. You can easily get the notion of Skyrim climate if you google about the various regions of Russia and Northern Europe, even the shape of the area is quite similar.

The further you are to the south, the difference in weather between the seasons will be less and less drastic, to the point where somewhere in Leyawiin there will hardly be any difference beside the frequency of rain.

Thanks Justiciat Thorien for your opinion, well that is If TES seasons are related or similar to our world I guess, the main idea of the post was to see some TES references as some in-game book or something getting a dialogue or text, describing for example Morning star or Last seed, I have noticed the months on TES can be seen actually very descriptive, for example Morning Star may be called as that due "sun appear" maybe related starting summer?, Sun's Dawn, maybe summer ends?, First Seed, spring starts? (see maybe TES seasons arent relative to our world season and months), Rain's Hand maybe a month where rains a lot (not necesary winter or autumn), well and so on. In conclusion seem isn't clear how season behave in TES world, maybe one month in TES have it's own season, TES universe, Nirn behave different as our world as in lore description, would be cool find a TES lorefriendly reference (with source)

Don't understand why seems people think TES seasons might be as our world seasons

This post was edited by Medieval at October 6, 2018 8:46 PM EDT
    • 393 posts
    October 6, 2018 9:15 PM EDT

I don't remember much detailed descriptions of seasons in the in-game books or dialogue, which doesn't mean there are none, it's just that I rarely give it much thought unless I'm specifically looking for it. I think there was some mention of Skyrim seasons in The Real Barenziah, try looking it up.

The names of months can indeed give you some clue. I'd assume that Evening Star and Morning Star actually refer to these months being respectively the end and the beginning of the year rather than to the weather. And why do you think Sun's Dawn (which means sunrise i.e. morning) would refer to summer ending? I'd sooner think it refers to the day becoming longer after the darkness of winter. First Seed is indeed the beginning of spring, not sure though why Rain's Hand is called that, though I can't say that April (which is its real life match) is famous for rain. Also, there is a month that must give you most clue, that is Sun's Height, obviously the sunniest and warmest month of the year. Then you have Frostfall, which is when it starts to get really cold. And Sun's Dusk heralds the start of short and dark winter days.

Nirn may be different from Earth, but there's still enough similarity to assume that some things work the same. Also, the law of cause and effect and simple common sense are the same.

I have never specifically looked for confirmation that the seasons of Tamriel are like the real life ones, so I don't remember particular references, but I certainly haven't seen anything that proved it to be the opposite, I would definitely remember that.

• 224 posts
    October 11, 2018 10:09 AM EDT

I found references, well might help someone who had some questions about TES seasons.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Calendar

Harvest's End

• Last Seed 27th

Perhaps no other festival fires the spirit of cityName as much as the one held today, Harvest's End. The work of the year is over, the seeding, sowing, and reaping. Now is the time to celebrate and enjoy the fruits of the harvest, and even visitors to regionName are invited to join the farmers. The taverns offer free drinks all day long, an extravagance before the economy of the coming winter months. Underfed farm hands gorging themselves and then getting sick in the town square are the most common sights of the celebration of Harvest's End.

This day in 3E 433 marked the beginning of the Oblivion Crisis.

*So Last Seed is spring in TES or at least in Cyrodiil

This post was edited by Medieval at October 11, 2018 10:09 AM EDT
    • 393 posts
    October 11, 2018 2:08 PM EDT

Medieval said:

Perhaps no other festival fires the spirit of cityName as much as the one held today, Harvest's End. The work of the year is over, the seeding, sowing, and reaping. Now is the time to celebrate and enjoy the fruits of the harvest, and even visitors to regionName are invited to join the farmers. The taverns offer free drinks all day long, an extravagance before the economy of the coming winter months. Underfed farm hands gorging themselves and then getting sick in the town square are the most common sights of the celebration of Harvest's End.

It's not spring, it's the end of summer/beginning of autumn. Maybe in Chile Harvest's End means spring, but here in the north it's August/September. Which actually matches TES calendar as Last Seed is August.