Forums » Elder Scrolls

POLL Your favourite Elder Scrolls divine

• 773 posts
    October 1, 2018 7:26 AM EDT

Time for the October poll...

And this month we are looking at the divines in the Elder Scrolls universe. Vote for your favourite - but more importantly tell us why in the thread below

Yes, there are EIGHT divines in the poll. We had this poll a few years ago and I made the 'error' of putting in Talos. The entire thread consisted of people arguing why Talos shouldn't be in the poll! So this poll just has the eight! If you believe is a divine, then hard cheese - vote for someone else :p 

• 393 posts
    October 1, 2018 7:32 AM EDT

Well, I would vote for Auri-El, but since apparently this poll is only about the Imperial divines, I choose my second favorite, Mara. Because Akatosh is not exactly the same.

• 197 posts
    October 1, 2018 9:24 AM EDT

It's a hard question because they're all so abstract, and I'm not at all a theology person. But I suppose if I lived in Skyrim, or Tamriel, I guess (hopefully Skyrim), I'd choose Mara over my other two options - Dibella and Kynareth. All three seem the most useful and the most present. I chose Mara because I'm a mother, first and foremost. Although, playing Skyrim with the Thunderchild mod makes me appreciate Kyne more. 

• 77 posts
    October 1, 2018 3:18 PM EDT

ilanisilver said:

It's a hard question because they're all so abstract, and I'm not at all a theology person. But I suppose if I lived in Skyrim, or Tamriel, I guess (hopefully Skyrim), I'd choose Mara over my other two options - Dibella and Kynareth. All three seem the most useful and the most present. I chose Mara because I'm a mother, first and foremost. Although, playing Skyrim with the Thunderchild mod makes me appreciate Kyne more. 

The Nords believe Kyne (Nord version of Kynareth) created men, and is seen as a mother goddess as well as a warrior goddess.

For me it would be Julianos, I prefer magic oriented characters so he fits best RP wise for those charaters, assuming they don't get seduced by the secret knowledge hoarded by Hermeus Mora.  But I have some suspicions that the line between aedra and daedra isn't as clear as we assume.  For instance Jhunal is the nord version of Julianos and is the god of hermetic orders, sounds alot like the hermit demon of the Skaal Hermeus Mora.  Which might explain why Jhunal fell out of favor in the Nord tradition, and why Nords have a general distrust of magic.  But I digress.

• 393 posts
    October 1, 2018 3:25 PM EDT

Vargr White-Tree said:

For instance Jhunal is the nord version of Julianos and is the god of hermetic orders, sounds alot like the hermit demon of the Skaal Hermeus Mora.  Which might explain why Jhunal fell out of favor in the Nord tradition, and why Nords have a general distrust of magic.  But I digress.

I am inclined to believe that Jhunal is the Nordic counterpart of the Aldmeri Xarxes, who is said to serve as scribe to both Auri-El and Hermeus Mora. So I think you might be very much right)))

• 167 posts
    October 1, 2018 4:05 PM EDT

Indeed a tough question but if I were to choose one it would be Julianos for the exact same reasons as Vargr. I like mages or mage-warrior types and never played a character that doesn't have even a bit of magic knowledge and always had my characters thought of as educated one way or another during their years in their backstories or at least seek knowledge later on.

Also I truly believe the saying knowledge is power and I think Julianos (and Hermaus Mora) might hold much more power than they are given credit for due to their knowledge, then again that 's just my opinion. :D

Also I had looked a bit into it but didn't find much lore about Julianos if anyone can point me to some is more than welcome.

• 197 posts
    October 1, 2018 6:17 PM EDT

Vargr White-Tree said:

ilanisilver said:

The Nords believe Kyne (Nord version of Kynareth) created men, and is seen as a mother goddess as well as a warrior goddess.

Yes, I've written about that, and agree wholeheartedly. For some reason, the last part of my post got cut off. I must have had it selected and hit something before posting, because I inserted the blurb about Thunderchild in the middle. Anyway, it was supposed to say something to the effect of "Kynareth doesn't have the same appeal. But I'm betting if I lived in the city of Whiterun, I'd probably be more drawn to Kynareth nevertheless (and appreciate the Nord aspects more, since I'd be close to Monahven), and honestly if I lived in Skyrim, why the hell wouldn't I live in Whiterun?"

Something like that.

And now, I'm wondering if proximity to the temples would matter at all, for people growing up in cities or rural areas where there'd only be one temple or one shrine compared to larger cities with more exposure to multiple divines. 

*Also, does the banner for this poll not work for anyone but me? I have to go to the section below, where it lists recent topics, to be able to access this discussion. 

• 295 posts
    October 1, 2018 7:09 PM EDT

Akatosh *cough* Talos *cough*

:D

The Great Dragon, Bormah. Though Dibella and Stendarr were a close second and third. War, love, and more war. :D

• 1467 posts
    October 1, 2018 10:36 PM EDT

For me it'd have to be Arkay, while I enjoy Akatosh (and Auri-El and the differences between each form of the deity) I just kinda like Arkay, not entirely sure if there's a solid reason but yeah.

Also, does the banner for this poll not work for anyone but me? I have to go to the section below, where it lists recent topics, to be able to access this discussion.

Also no, poll banner doesn't link to the discussion which makes it pretty useless.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 1, 2018 10:39 PM EDT

Bloody faithless Imperials getting my God kicked out of site polls. No Talos?

Kyne it is then.

• 321 posts
    October 1, 2018 11:20 PM EDT
    Let's be honest here, the Imperial pantheon is nothing more than a mix mash of Aldmeri and Nordic gods. That said, I'll just go ahead and pick my favorite mother goddess, Kyne (Or Kynareth as you damn Imperials prefer to call her)
    • 7 posts
    October 2, 2018 12:50 AM EDT

Mara seems to be the most logical for the commonman.

• 773 posts
    October 2, 2018 8:41 AM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

Also no, poll banner doesn't link to the discussion which makes it pretty useless.

Sorry about that guys, I just totally didn't link the image to the poll thread. Fixed now :) 

• 694 posts
    October 2, 2018 10:43 AM EDT

Surprising probably nobody at all I voted for Akatosh. Endurance, duty, service... all things I admire IRL. The first of the divines in the Beginning Place. Yeah, overall and in this list, for me it's Akatosh.

I love Kyne too, but I'm not as into Kynareth... Nothing against Kynareth as a whole, I just like the lore of Kyne much more. Warrior goddess, mother of men, who gave them the storm voice--the Thu'um, Nordic crone and Valkyrie figure? Ticks all the "cool shit" boxes for me. 

• 197 posts
    October 2, 2018 7:34 PM EDT
    So, can we go ahead and end this now with Stendarr having no votes? Between that one vigilant in Markarth who won’t leave you alone, and the other vigilants who attack my characters for using Dawnbreaker to help them kill random vampires, I’m pretty sick of Stendarr’s guys. :)
    • 127 posts
    October 3, 2018 9:00 AM EDT

Zenithar is the one I can get behind easiest.  He's a god for the little people like me.  And I appreciate that he doesn't have any artefacts associated with him other than the Mace of the Crusader - he's not about the glory that goes with craftsmanship, just good, strong, efficient tools.  

• 7 posts
    October 3, 2018 10:21 AM EDT

J.D. Primrose said:

Zenithar is the one I can get behind easiest.  He's a god for the little people like me.  And I appreciate that he doesn't have any artefacts associated with him other than the Mace of the Crusader - he's not about the glory that goes with craftsmanship, just good, strong, efficient tools.  

I can respect that. Zeni is the 'Boring but practical' guy. Not the best looking work but if it works it works... thinking on it, he'd probably be the Aedra of Duct Tape.

• October 3, 2018 1:15 PM EDT
    Mara, the goddess of love and compassion, what more is there to be said
    • 70 posts
    October 3, 2018 2:03 PM EDT
    Julianos says: Know the truth. Observe the law. When in doubt, seek wisdom from the wise.
    For me its Julianos im all about Logic and Knowledge and i mostly play Mages so it fits them. I love doing Research and knowing as much about a topic as i can.
    • 122 posts
    October 4, 2018 7:05 AM EDT
    Mara is the goddess of love, hearth, and home. The older I get, the more important those things are to me over anything else.
    • 743 posts
    October 10, 2018 3:00 PM EDT

The distinct lack of Talos makes me realize that filthy Thalmor are running the site. 

• 83 posts
    October 22, 2018 10:18 AM EDT

Dibella.

My lady pirate captain's ship is even called "The Dibella."

• 284 posts
    October 31, 2018 5:57 AM EDT

First of all I agree with Rogue. Second, I'm gonna drop a bomb here.

The only real divines are the Daedra. All hail Azura!