Forums » General Gaming

Pokemon Let's Go

• 127 posts
    September 8, 2018 10:01 AM EDT

So, with the release of Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee on Nintendo Switch right around the corner, I was wondering what you guys think about the upcoming games.  Since they are so different from the original series in capture mechanics and a lack of wild battles, I know a great many have been put off, and the Pokeball Plus has some people upset that they have to pay another $50 to be able to get a Mew along with it.

Thought, I'd open a discussion here, if anybody's interested.

Side note: I'd love to have a pokeball if it works with other titles and not just the pokemon series - imagine casting your summons in Skyrim through a pokeball.

• 261 posts
    September 8, 2018 1:37 PM EDT
    I'm torn over it. For good and ill, it's very much intended for newcomers. Sometimes, this works; personally, I really like the mix of GO catch mevhanics w/ main-series Trainer battles. Also following Pokemon is back AND I NEED IT. Because nothing beats having an Eevee on your shoulder as Electrode rolls behind you. Makes you care more for these fictional buddies.

On the other hand, I am very afraid of how the game seems to be having some 'hand-holding'. While I'm fine with how Gen 6 and 7 handled it (No EXP Share=Hard Mode), LetsGo has screencaps confirming that at least Brock will outright refuse to challenge you if you dont have a Water or Grass type, removing the freedom for self-imposed challenges. Think of the Nuzlockers! Also, while I'm holding out hope that the game will be updated later on, the fact that only the Gen 1 Pokemon are in-game. Even other remakes have post-game critters from other Gens (getting Murkrow in ORAS was cool to me), but it seems that LetsGo does not have that option at launch.

Overall, I guess I'm cautiously excited. This has been outright stated to be a form of 'gateway' to the core series, and a lot of the ideas would be awesome even in the future Gen 8 games (FOLLOWING POKEMON!). But the loss of in-game freedom for helping newcomers is something that really irks me, and I'm concerned it'll be more common.
    • 127 posts
    September 8, 2018 2:05 PM EDT

From what I've seen, the refusal to challenge is just a matter of showing Clyde the Guide a grass or water type from your line-up.  Using it is another matter entirely, and that can always be a "caveat capture" for Nuzlockers, purely in the name of progress.

At the end of the day, the target audience is for newcomers and the Pokemon Go crowd to try and get them into the main series, and the knowledge given from Pokemon Go is really sparse on type match-ups and doesn't equate exactly to the core series games.  While I has a slight issue with it being used as a gating mechanism in this way, it's kind of necessary for it to be put in explicitly and somewhere that you won't miss it.  There's always been someone in one of the earlier towns explaining the whole Fire-Water-Grass triangle, but's very easy to miss them.

Also, I reckon that if Nintendo were to ever do DLC for a pokemon game, it would be this one, tacking on "Let's Go Togepi" to include the Johto region.  I can imagine them continuing in that line of thinking, keeping one development team working on additions to hopefully include them all.  I don't know if the Switch is strong enough to pull it off, but it can handle an open world game like Skyrim so i have a smidgeon of hope for this.

Either way, I honestly don't think I've been this hyped over a new pokemon game since Black and White announced it was comprised fully of brand new pokemon.  The following mechanic is just one part of it, but something has definitely needed to happen to shake people up after the duds that were Gens 6 and 7.

This post was edited by J.D. Primrose at September 8, 2018 2:06 PM EDT
    • 261 posts
    September 8, 2018 2:13 PM EDT
    Something I forgot to mention: the fact that you can customize your starter Pikachu/Eevee with outfits is a novel idea, in addition to proving that even Pokemon-Amie isnt the most heart-meltingly adorable thing possible in Pokemon. Of course, this also means that its possible that future games could expand it, and I can finally re-create my precious, dapper Kricketune. Of course, this will also mean that Pokemon memes will flow faster than the hellish Slateport currents, and that's also great.
    • 127 posts
    September 8, 2018 2:22 PM EDT

Ahh, Kricketune.  One of the two pokemon I've done a Solo Run with.  I see you're a person of exquisitely good taste. :)

Another side note: As far as I'm concerned, pokemon has become the ultimate game of "character customisation", especially since Gen 6, what with the edits you can make to the avatar.  All these pokemon on offer, with their individual stats, movesets, abilities and held items mean that the possibilities are almost endless.  If individual customisation of pokemon eventually becomes a fully implemented mechanic, I would be a very happy person.

• 261 posts
    September 22, 2018 2:48 PM EDT

Quick post to say that the guy in charge of serebii.net (a pillar of Pokemon fandom, IMO), had the chance to play some of LetsGo. Here's the post:

• 627 posts
    September 23, 2018 3:01 AM EDT

That's an interesting read. The lack of competitive stuff doesn't phase me so I'll definitely be getting one of these games, just so I can wander around with freakish monstrosities following me around :D