Forums » Elder Scrolls

J’zargo

• September 7, 2018 7:26 AM EDT
    If we’re being honest I think deep down we all love J’zargo wether he’s cocky or not. Honestly I’m thinking about making a new character (girl or boy) in which I’m just going to marry him and kiss him every day. J’zargo is by far one of the best followers in game and just a completely likable character. What do you think about J’zargo?
    This post was edited by CaptainKahjiitKid at September 7, 2018 9:04 AM EDT
    • 70 posts
    September 7, 2018 9:24 AM EDT
    I like his determination and thirst for power :D
  • September 7, 2018 9:41 AM EDT
    Vezrabuto said:
    I like his determination and thirst for power :D

That’s a little unsettling and creepy and not exactly what I was going for but okay I guess that works. Thanks for posting
    • 1595 posts
    September 7, 2018 1:43 PM EDT
    I think J’zargo is at the final stages of kitty adolescence. Cats of that age are a real pain in the tail, quite destructive, insanely confident to the point of being cocky, and pretty much think they're immortal. I think he's in the last throws of shedding his Ja Khajiit status, is finding himself and his place in the world. It'll pass, age and experience will bring with it wisdom and he'll mature into a great and powerful mage... If he survives his teenage years and doesn't do anything stupid. Neutering helps.
  • September 7, 2018 2:07 PM EDT
    Paws said:
    I think J’zargo is at the final stages of kitty adolescence. Cats of that age are a real pain in the tail, quite destructive, insanely confident to the point of being cocky, and pretty much think they're immortal. I think he's in the last throws of shedding his Ja Khajiit status, is finding himself and his place in the world. It'll pass, age and experience will bring with it wisdom and he'll mature into a great and powerful mage... If he survives his teenage years and doesn't do anything stupid. Neutering helps.

I 100% completely agree with this, you’re a genius, and you’re hilarious
    • 127 posts
    September 7, 2018 2:11 PM EDT

I'm not a fan.

Cockiness/Arrogance is not an attractive trait, neither is deception and endargering others, not to mention his power-hungry approach to life.  His entire personality is that of someone who believes he is owed by the world when he is not doing anything to prove himself as anything other than a mage, which he treats purely as a competition.  His functionality in-game is not enough to get past that fact.

Please don't tell me I secretly love him - I have more respect for Astrid than I do for J'zargo.

• September 7, 2018 2:13 PM EDT
    J.D. Primrose said:

I'm not a fan.

Cockiness/Arrogance is not an attractive trait, neither is deception and endargering others, not to mention his power-hungry approach to life.  His entire personality is that of someone who believes he is owed by the world when he is not doing anything to prove himself as anything other than a mage, which he treats purely as a competition.  His functionality in-game is not enough to get past that fact.

Please don't tell me I secretly love him - I have more respect for Astrid than I do for J'zargo.

I completely understand you’re point of view, and don’t worry I’m not going to say anything going against your opinion, but thanks for sharing!
    • 127 posts
    September 7, 2018 2:29 PM EDT

Thanks for understanding, and I'm sorry if I come across a bit strong - I've known people just like this and they were disliked by everyone around them.

It's funny how when it presented in a fictional setting it can become less detestable and more acceptable behaviour, isn't it?

This post was edited by J.D. Primrose at September 7, 2018 2:29 PM EDT
    • 197 posts
    September 7, 2018 7:13 PM EDT
    I don’t like any of the co-apprentices, to be honest. Brelyna’s a bit snotty and Onmund’s a goody-goody. And J’zargo is, yes, an asshole. Adolescent cat pretty much describes him perfectly, but instead of knocking knick-knacks off shelves and trying to claw your ankles as you walk by, he’s trying to set you on fire and make you explode.
    • 321 posts
    September 7, 2018 10:58 PM EDT

I never really disliked J'zargo nor like him, probably because I rarely used him as a follower. When he gave me those fire cloak scrolls and they exploded, I merely shook it off as being unintentional. I'm fine seeing J'zargo as this overconfident Khajiit to the point of arrogance. In real-life, there's always those types of people who are overconfident and think they can be the top... Maybe because they're expected to live up to certain expectations or whatnot. After taking down a peg or two, maybe they'll change.

Personally, I'm fine with the College students and their current personalities. If Bethesda had the time to expand them more, I bet we can see some more character development. 

• 261 posts
    September 8, 2018 3:05 PM EDT
    Interesting to note that J'Zargo isnt entirely unfounded in his arrogance; remember that magiv amongst Khajiit is really uncommon. Also, I like when you first meet him, he's condescending... Unless you have the Destruction perks he mentions, at which point he's impressed. Overall, he's a jerk, but I like that he's not, say, Nazeem.
    • 168 posts
    September 9, 2018 12:01 AM EDT

He's an arrogant snob, and not even a great follower. Similar to Nazeem, but at least J'Zargo has a quest to raise his disposition so he's not as bad.

Before Skyrim got DLCs, J'zargo was notable in the fact he lacked a level cap, likely unintentional. People thought this made him the best, but the excess levels only really give him more health/magicka/stamina, and his AI seems to prefer weak novice spells for some reason, even over strong weapons sometimes. He has high one-handed skill but won't use them. The other mage followers were more effective in combat, and Dawnguard then introduced new followers that had no level cap and didn't cast novice spells. Although, level caps past 50-ish is kinda a moot point, because their skills can't go past 100 anyway, and you'll get more survivability from armor and enchantments than with some extra health. Also, there are a couple followers marked essential in case you're just worried about your follower dying.

He's also notable for being one of only two Khajiit followers, but Kharjo is more useful than him. J'zargo also is one of very few mage followers with an armor skill, but Onmund is better than him at that since he'll cast stronger spells.

You might be able to get him to punch things, if you could get him to do it often enough then he'd actually be a great partner for an unarmed/enchanting character, and would also just do more damage than spamming sparks. Of course, you could do this with Kharjo too, but Kharjo might end up prefering his hunting bow.

It's fine if you like him, but he's absolutely not one of the best followers in the game. (He's just decieving you with his 100 Illusion skill :p) Also, I'm pretty sure you can't marry him (well, unless you make him a marriage candidate with the CK, but there isn't any Khajiit spouse dialogue lines iirc)

This post was edited by Chris H. at September 9, 2018 12:02 AM EDT
  • September 10, 2018 6:18 AM EDT
    Chris H. said:

He's an arrogant snob, and not even a great follower. Similar to Nazeem, but at least J'Zargo has a quest to raise his disposition so he's not as bad.

Before Skyrim got DLCs, J'zargo was notable in the fact he lacked a level cap, likely unintentional. People thought this made him the best, but the excess levels only really give him more health/magicka/stamina, and his AI seems to prefer weak novice spells for some reason, even over strong weapons sometimes. He has high one-handed skill but won't use them. The other mage followers were more effective in combat, and Dawnguard then introduced new followers that had no level cap and didn't cast novice spells. Although, level caps past 50-ish is kinda a moot point, because their skills can't go past 100 anyway, and you'll get more survivability from armor and enchantments than with some extra health. Also, there are a couple followers marked essential in case you're just worried about your follower dying.

He's also notable for being one of only two Khajiit followers, but Kharjo is more useful than him. J'zargo also is one of very few mage followers with an armor skill, but Onmund is better than him at that since he'll cast stronger spells.

You might be able to get him to punch things, if you could get him to do it often enough then he'd actually be a great partner for an unarmed/enchanting character, and would also just do more damage than spamming sparks. Of course, you could do this with Kharjo too, but Kharjo might end up prefering his hunting bow.

It's fine if you like him, but he's absolutely not one of the best followers in the game. (He's just decieving you with his 100 Illusion skill :p) Also, I'm pretty sure you can't marry him (well, unless you make him a marriage candidate with the CK, but there isn't any Khajiit spouse dialogue lines iirc)

I have a marriage all mod that takes care of that because I’m playing on ps4
    • 33 posts
    September 18, 2018 12:34 PM EDT

I usually build sneaky beaky bois, so I don't usually go for companions. Although I will admit, I enjoy supervillain-type characters, and J'zargo is clearly on the path to becoming one; if Skyrim had a New Vegas slideshow ending, completing J'zargo's quest and leaving him alive would yield "(in Tolfdir's voice) The College kept clear of the rest of Skyrim, and while they would sometimes venture out to acquire ingredients and enchant weapons for a fee, the Nords' distrust for their kind kept them isolated. (In J'zargo's voice) That is, until one day the College mysteriously disappeared. Many wondered what had happened to the old academy and its inhabitants; many more shared a glass of mead and laughed, glad that those mages had finally gone and sent themselves to Oblivion. It is said that, in the few days the Sea of Ghosts is clear of stormclouds and fog, it is possible to see a mgnificent forress floating in the distance, and if one pays attention, sometimes the words "THIS ONE IS THE FUCKING STRONG" can be heard through the whistling winds."

• 122 posts
    September 20, 2018 8:59 PM EDT
    I never really minded J’zargo. He was young, cocky, and full of himself, but I never really got the feeling he was malicious. He actually seems to like and respect the main character. I also like,how driven his is to succeed. He just has his head in his litter box because he think it smells like roses.
    • 393 posts
    September 21, 2018 5:03 AM EDT

J'zargo makes it very clear where his values lay, and while his obsession with power means that he cannot be really trusted, it also means he is likely to respect a person who wields that power and follow such a person without asking many questions just for the chance to learn from them. He also seems to be not entirely dumb and not without talent, and being a Khajiit, he likely knows when one needs to be discreet and he has no loyalty towards the human Empire.  At the same time, despite his attitude, he doesn't appear to be inherently cruel or without honor. All of this makes him the perfect follower for my Thalmor Justiciar.

This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at September 21, 2018 5:03 AM EDT
  • October 4, 2018 1:09 PM EDT
    Although I might not agree with your opinions on this topic, I appreciate all the feedback I’m getting on this thread. If I’m being totally honest my favorite post on this thread so far has been paws’ post because of how funny it was