Forums » The Lounge

Favorite H. P. Lovecraft short story

• 558 posts
    August 18, 2018 1:13 PM EDT
    Lovecraft wasn't the most popular in his day, but now he has a large cult following and has influenced many creators.

My favorite short story he wrote was The Shadow Out of Time. The Shadow Out of Time was also one of the last stories he ever wrote. What is your favourite of his short stories?
    • 70 posts
    August 18, 2018 4:13 PM EDT
    dont really know if you cont it as a short story but i Loved The Shadow over Innsmouth.
    • 558 posts
    August 18, 2018 7:09 PM EDT
    It doesn't really matter if its considered a short story or not. Thanks for your response; The Shadow over Innsmouth is my second favorite one,
    • 1441 posts
    August 18, 2018 7:51 PM EDT

I'd have to go with Shadow Over Innsmouth, Call of Cthulhu, or Mountains of Madness, basic, yes, but oh so good

• 321 posts
    August 18, 2018 10:14 PM EDT

Same as everyone else really: Shadow Over Innsmouth just because how it has been referenced it in many mediums. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, the Fishing Hamlet from Bloodborne DLC, Shadow over Immaterium...

I think I still have a link to a Lovercraft reading site that someone here once shared with me. Almost forgotten about it to be honest.

• 1441 posts
    August 19, 2018 11:19 AM EDT

A-Pocky-Hah! said:

Same as everyone else really: Shadow Over Innsmouth just because how it has been referenced it in many mediums. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, the Fishing Hamlet from Bloodborne DLC, Shadow over Immaterium...

I think I still have a link to a Lovercraft reading site that someone here once shared with me. Almost forgotten about it to be honest.

Does it just have stories by Howard Phillips Lovecraft, or does it have later author addons to the Cthulhu Mythos?

• 321 posts
    August 19, 2018 5:33 PM EDT
    Erm.. Can't say. I only gave it like a quick browse, but I think it's probably the latter.
    • 1441 posts
    August 19, 2018 5:53 PM EDT

A-Pocky-Hah! said: Erm.. Can't say. I only gave it like a quick browse, but I think it's probably the latter.

Oh thanks, do you have a link to the site?

• 321 posts
    August 19, 2018 8:49 PM EDT
    Sorry, but it seems I lost the link.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 23, 2018 6:20 PM EDT

I was reading a collection of Lovecraft's stories until I got bored with one (or rather... came across Stephen King's "It" on a book store and decided to buy and read it) and stopped. I only read what I read once, so I think that my favorites, up until now, are "The Cats of Ulthar" and my absolute favorite until now is... one that I don't remember the name, but it's about a German submarine during WW1 that gets damaged and ends up descending to the bottom of the ocean and its crew members start going crazy one by one. You should read it, I don't want to spoil it to you. I loved, loved that one.

• 12 posts
    August 24, 2018 12:24 AM EDT

Call of Cthulhu gets my love as well!

I have a few stories collected myself, I've always been a fan of Lovecraft and the things inspired from it!

• 40 posts
    November 9, 2018 5:42 AM EST

I've recently enjoyed The Doom that Came to Sarnath, and I am currently reading The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle, which is a retelling of "The Horror at Red Rock" from the viewpoint of an African American man. Very nicely written, though I've yet to finish it.

I'll have to check out the other stories mentioned!

• 558 posts
    November 16, 2018 7:56 PM EST

The Doom that Came to Sarnath is badass.

I also read The Color out of Space, and that one is worth reading. It was also Lovecraft's personal favorite.

• 1441 posts
    November 16, 2018 8:20 PM EST
    I have a collection of some of Lovecraft's works somewhere
    • 558 posts
    December 18, 2018 5:03 PM EST

I just read another great one, "The Outsider". It is his most personal short story that I have read.

• 261 posts
    January 22, 2019 12:51 PM EST

I've always loved cosmic horror, and Lovecraft pretty much made the concept. I really like The Haunter in the Dark and The Hound, though Shadow Over Innsmouth was great too (to be fair, I was kinda biased towards that one; my first taste of Lovecraftian themes was the Oblivion quest inspired by the story)