Forums » The Lounge

MOVIES, T.V. AND STUFF!!!

• 1467 posts
    July 29, 2018 8:40 PM EDT

A companion piece to my SPORTS!!! thread except...you know talking about movies and television and whatnot. So yeah, um...Really it's just mostly an excuse for me to rant about stuff while also encouraging you to rant about stuff :D

• 585 posts
    July 30, 2018 12:35 PM EDT

I'm gonna start off this thread with a controversial opinion:

Most of the time I can't be arsed with TV shows. With a film you have an hour and a half, max two and a half, and then you're done. TV shows seem endless to me. Especially American ones, which have something like 20 episodes per season?! Madness. I can barely deal with the standard 6 for British shows.

Ok, to contradict myself, I think there are two types of TV show that I'm alright with. Stuff like The Office or Modern Family, that are basically seperate storylines with the same characters, where you can flick back to any episode in a random season and you're good to go. And stuff like Band of Brothers or Sherlock, with long episodes and short seasons that you can hunker down and get through, like watching a film trilogy. But the big seasons of the Walking Dead, Game of Thrones etc. aren't for me.

• 197 posts
    July 30, 2018 5:58 PM EDT

There was a whole long bunch of years where I couldn't muster any interest in either TV or movies, maybe from 1989 - 2011 or so? Started with high school and went up to the birth of my daughter. I mean, back when you couldn't DVR things and had to tape them if you weren't there? No. I was never home during this time period basically except to sleep, so no TV. And too poor for movies. So there's so much I just missed. So when I finally started catching up, I just never got back into much TV, or movies. They just lost their draw.

But of course, I married a man who's obsessed with both. So I watch things with him that he likes, but I think I prefer a good TV series to any movie. Westworld has been amazing so far. I also love Peaky Blinders and Legion. Oh, and this cute little zombie comedy set in Seattle called iZombie. So much fun. 

I do wish there was an app or something that could tell me when chase scenes or long drawn out fight scenes are in movies or TV. I could just check it, and know when to go to the bathroom. They're both boring, boring boring, to me at least. Every fight scene should be a cut scene to Willem Dafoe in Boondock Saints, where he says "there was a firefight!" and it's done. 

Unless, of course, the fight scene involves the bad guy finally getting his, in which case, I'll watch it. 

• 14 posts
    July 30, 2018 7:04 PM EDT

Yeah, I definitely have to agree that TV shows (and some movies) don't have a lot of appeal to me anymore.  It's insanely easy to switch on Netflix or another streaming service and find hundreds of things that match your personal taste. The problem with that, though is that you're more likely to run into something that takes a long time to get good or is just plain out poorly written or acted. Also, don't get me started on the dozens of "Netflix Originals" that insist on shooting their movies in complete darkness so that you can't see anything unless its nighttime and every light in your house is off. I guess simply put, I just don't have enough time or patience to sift through bad stuff to get to the good. I much prefer seeing big blockbuster movies that I'm pretty sure will be good, or rewatching movies and shows that I love.

• 321 posts
    July 30, 2018 11:04 PM EDT

Never was interested in TV shows except for Game of Thrones, the Pacific, Band of Brothers, and CSI. Did watch The Walking Dead up until that season with the Prison and the Governor, then it just went bland for me. This is just my preference, but if a show has more than two seasons, I won't bother watching it unless their episodes are self-contained like The Simpsons or Family Guy.

This also applies to my choice in anime, of course. There's no way in hell I'm gonna watch 200+ episodes of Naruto/One Piece/Fairy Tail just to get up to date... except for Gintama, because that shit's funny and its episodes are self-contained. 

Oh... Looks like I just strayed into weeb territory for moment there. Hey Deebs, should we get our own forum discussion for anime, or should I rant about them here? They're technically TV shows, right? :P

• 197 posts
    July 31, 2018 12:03 AM EDT

Pocky, that's when I stopped watching TWD too. It just got to be like, the same peril and danger in different surroundings and with some new and different out-of-his-mind bad guy. My husband watched until Negan and finally gave up, and he'd already read all the graphic novels. I get people who are just really into the zombie/apocalyptic genre keeping going, but it just got too repetitive for me. 

• 585 posts
    July 31, 2018 12:39 PM EDT

ilanisilver said:

I do wish there was an app or something that could tell me when chase scenes or long drawn out fight scenes are in movies or TV. I could just check it, and know when to go to the bathroom. They're both boring, boring boring, to me at least. Every fight scene should be a cut scene to Willem Dafoe in Boondock Saints, where he says "there was a firefight!" and it's done. 

Unless, of course, the fight scene involves the bad guy finally getting his, in which case, I'll watch it. 

Fight scenes just aren't that interesting to me, they aren't visceral enough to engage my interest. That being said, if you wanna watch a film that's 90% action but done incredibly, I couldn't recommend Mad Max: Fury Road more.

• 197 posts
    July 31, 2018 2:09 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

ilanisilver said:

Fight scenes just aren't that interesting to me, they aren't visceral enough to engage my interest. That being said, if you wanna watch a film that's 90% action but done incredibly, I couldn't recommend Mad Max: Fury Road more.

My husband said that one was good, too. I'll probably watch it eventually! There is one show called Into the Badlands here in the US that does fighting really well. I can watch it all the way through. It's a strange post-apocalyptic show set mostly in the post-USA South, like what used to be Louisiana or Mississippi. And the fighting is martial arts/samurai. Some of the storylines are very WTF, but it's a fun show. 

• 321 posts
    July 31, 2018 9:59 PM EDT

Mad Max: Fury Road was good, and I would rewatch it anytime. Unfortunately my parents don't have the same opinion as me. Apparently they think half-naked men spraying chrome on their face and screaming "To Valhalla!" is weird... :/

• 1467 posts
    August 1, 2018 3:19 AM EDT
    Pocky, that's when I stopped watching TWD too. It just got to be like, the same peril and danger in different surroundings and with some new and different out-of-his-mind bad guy. My husband watched until Negan and finally gave up, and he'd already read all the graphic novels. I get people who are just really into the zombie/apocalyptic genre keeping going, but it just got too repetitive for me

barely made it to the last season of the Walking Dead before giving up, honestly it's just gotten worse and worse ever since the first season (or six-ish episodes), loved it back then but it's just sort of...trash TV now? Kinda like...well just about anything that makes it past 4 or 5 seasons. 

But yeah, I love the zombie/apocalypse genre(s) but I think it's a shame that nobody tries to do anything interesting with it anymore. I think the last time I was ever partially scared by a film (a zombie one) was...it was either 27 Days Later or 27 Week Later...Same series but I can't remember which one I watched and both were fairly well done, bit simplistic but at least they made some of the 'horror' work. But yeah, boring genre nowadays, everything basic is just being repeated and nobody bothers trying to do something interesting...Oh actually, I kind of (weirdly) enjoyed Pride & Prejudice + Zombies. Just the weirdness of mixing that victorian/medieval era with zombies kinda worked for me.

• 1467 posts
    August 1, 2018 3:24 AM EDT

Fight scenes just aren't that interesting to me, they aren't visceral enough to engage my interest. That being said, if you wanna watch a film that's 90% action but done incredibly, I couldn't recommend Mad Max: Fury Road more.

Hell yeah, Fury Road is just...god damn it's one of the most entertaining movies I've watched. I think it's probably more because so much of it was stunt-work rather than CGI and that being so rare, but it was actually incredibly gripping even if it technically boils down to a 2 hour chase scene. John Wick has a really strange but interesting 'combat style' to it, absolute pleasure to watch and just real enough to make it not terrible. 

But yeah, honestly most fight scenes these days are too obviously fake for me to enjoy (makes me sound older than I am :P). You either have things like Justice League or the Avengers where everything is just CGI (or enough of it) or they just do slow motion every 10 seconds and call it a fight scene. Bah even jump cuts these days in fight scenes are god-awful, makes it painful for me to watch action movies a lot of the time. 

• 1467 posts
    August 1, 2018 3:32 AM EDT

Never was interested in TV shows except for Game of Thrones, the Pacific, Band of Brothers, and CSI. Did watch The Walking Dead up until that season with the Prison and the Governor, then it just went bland for me. This is just my preference, but if a show has more than two seasons, I won't bother watching it unless their episodes are self-contained like The Simpsons or Family Guy.

This also applies to my choice in anime, of course. There's no way in hell I'm gonna watch 200+ episodes of Naruto/One Piece/Fairy Tail just to get up to date... except for Gintama, because that shit's funny and its episodes are self-contained. 

Oh... Looks like I just strayed into weeb territory for moment there. Hey Deebs, should we get our own forum discussion for anime, or should I rant about them here? They're technically TV shows, right? :P

Most of the time I'm definitely more of a fan of episodic television, I struggle to stay invested in shows like Breaking Bad or GOT so I just don't bother starting them...Give me something like the Simpsons and I'll happily watch 20 hours of it even if it might not be as narratively excellent as something else.

Hah, and yes we can most certainly weeb out and talk about Anime :P Couldn't be here if I wasn't going to at some point myself honestly. That said...I'm not sure if I watched anything that wasn't Fate related recently..

Oh I did just finish the Tokyo Ghoul a month ago? They put it on Netflix down here so, had to watch it and I was damn conflicted. It was definitely a premise and setting that I enjoyed and most of the character's were enjoyable but I just felt like it was paced so terribly. Not quite SAO levels (but really nothing can beat that) but it just kind of left me wanting more and not in a good way. Felt like there wasn't enough time for me to enjoy the characters, and not enough badass fight scenes in season 2. What else have I watched...

Uh, there's the animated Godzilla films (?). The second one Godzilla 2: City on the Edge of Battle just came out and I'm really interested in watching that, the first one was fairly interesting for a Gozilla film. 

Man I've been really lacking in time for July I guess, haven't watched much of anything. But uh, yes we can absolutely talk about Anime until the thread is full :P

• 1467 posts
    August 1, 2018 3:44 AM EDT

Most of the time I can't be arsed with TV shows. With a film you have an hour and a half, max two and a half, and then you're done. TV shows seem endless to me. Especially American ones, which have something like 20 episodes per season?! Madness. I can barely deal with the standard 6 for British shows.

Ok, to contradict myself, I think there are two types of TV show that I'm alright with. Stuff like The Office or Modern Family, that are basically seperate storylines with the same characters, where you can flick back to any episode in a random season and you're good to go. And stuff like Band of Brothers or Sherlock, with long episodes and short seasons that you can hunker down and get through, like watching a film trilogy. But the big seasons of the Walking Dead, Game of Thrones etc. aren't for me.

Australian TV is...all pretty much trash so, yeah. So I cannot at all relate :P But that's interesting that shows are 6 episodes (generally). I'll admit that I pretty much only watch American TV so it's like 12 is the minimum. 

That said I've been getting back into Master Chef recently, I tend to watch a lot of shitty cooking shows (Mystery Diners, Deep Fried Masters, Cooks vs. Cons and a bunch of other...sub-par quality shows where the goal is to see people make food that will probably kill me if I eat it) so it's been good to get back into something that...at least they make good food in? 

Dunno, it's still pretty obviously staged but I find myself enjoying this sort of quasi-reality show thing more and more these days. I don't need to think to watch it and can just enjoy it for whatever's showing. 

• 585 posts
    August 1, 2018 9:19 AM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

Dunno, it's still pretty obviously staged but I find myself enjoying this sort of quasi-reality show thing more and more these days. I don't need to think to watch it and can just enjoy it for whatever's showing. 

Speaking of reality shows, what's everyone's opinion of Love Island? It's massive here, and pretty big in Australia I think.

• 1467 posts
    August 2, 2018 2:41 AM EDT
    Speaking of reality shows, what's everyone's opinion of Love Island? It's massive here, and pretty big in Australia I think.
    I...have never seen it, but I guess it's kind of a combination The Bachelor and Survivor? Or I guess just Big Brother (is that still a show?) on an island...Gotta be honest, it's probably not my thing at all, can  very rarely stand even the adds for those kinds of shows. Might be different than the description but yeah just not my thing. 
    • 67 posts
    August 2, 2018 3:04 AM EDT

Ugh love island. I don't like reality shows much. I've not watched it either but heard enough about it to know it's not my kinda thing lol. Pretty sure it's like The Bachelor or somthing. But they talk about it all the time on the more mainstream radio stations here. especially The Edge and ZM. (New Zealand Radio)

• 197 posts
    August 2, 2018 6:04 PM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

Australian TV is...all pretty much trash so, yeah. So I cannot at all relate :P But that's interesting that shows are 6 episodes (generally). I'll admit that I pretty much only watch American TV so it's like 12 is the minimum. 

Thanks to Netflix, I’ve watched a couple of Australian shows I really liked. Laid, which I wish lasted longer. I know it’s weird, but it’s so funny. And Glitch. I love this show so much. Oh, and the movie Cargo, which...I’m not all that into the zombie genre, but my husband is. I swear, he was telling me about some movie about Nazi zombies, and wow, I can’t believe it’s gone so far. But I loved Cargo. 

• 558 posts
    August 3, 2018 12:34 AM EDT
    As far as what other people have mentioned, I am still watching TWD and the spinoff, and I have seen Mad Max: Fury Road.

TWD is pretty horrible, and the only reason I watch it is to spend time with and/or discuss with family members. But I mainly sit with my eyes glazed, mildly cringing at the next horrible writing decision I have to suffer through.

I didn't like Mad Max Fury Road. I couldn't tell you why. I've gotten better at explaining myself over the years, but I can't explain why I despise this movie. It's colorful, but it doesn't really grip me.

I've been watching a shit ton of movies, and they have taken the place of video games as my main form of entertainment. Mainly horror movies at the moment.

I just watched Tusk, directed by Kevin Smith, and it's incredible. If you haven't seen it and like horror/comedy movies, I heavily recommend it. Just don't look at reviews or anything; the less you know about it the better.

Some other great movies I've watched recently are The Man Who Laughs (1928), November (2017), Dracula (1992), Frankenstein (1931), Spider Baby (1964), A Streetcar Named Desire (1951), The Pit and The Pendulum (1961).

I watched The Thing (1982), and was let down. Pretty disappointing, but the premise had potential, and I am excited to see the original movie The Thing From Another World (1951).

Earlier today I bought 4 new Blu Rays: Killer Klowns from Outer Space, The Omega Man, The Passion of the Christ, and The Fly (1986). Hopefully they are all good. I've got a little Blu Ray collection going now; I'm up to 15 movies. It helps that I have a great movie store nearby. Most of the movies I watch are usually from the library or Netflix/Amazon. Speaking of which, Tusk is on US Netflix right now.

Hopefully this is ranty enough for you DB.
    • 14 posts
    August 3, 2018 2:09 AM EDT
    Gollum said:
    As far as what other people have mentioned, I am still watching TWD and the spinoff, and I have seen Mad Max: Fury Road.

TWD is pretty horrible, and the only reason I watch it is to spend time with and/or discuss with family members. But I mainly sit with my eyes glazed, mildly cringing at the next horrible writing decision I have to suffer through.

I didn't like Mad Max Fury Road. I couldn't tell you why. I've gotten better at explaining myself over the years, but I can't explain why I despise this movie. It's colorful, but it doesn't really grip me.

I've been watching a shit ton of movies, and they have taken the place of video games as my main form of entertainment. Mainly horror movies at the moment.

I just watched Tusk, directed by Kevin Smith, and it's incredible. If you haven't seen it and like horror/comedy movies, I heavily recommend it. Just don't look at reviews or anything; the less you know about it the better.

Some other great movies I've watched recently are The Man Who Laughs (1928), November (2017), Dracula (1992), Frankenstein (1931), Spider Baby (1964), A Streetcar Named Desire (1951), The Pit and The Pendulum (1961).

I watched The Thing (1982), and was let down. Pretty disappointing, but the premise had potential, and I am excited to see the original movie The Thing From Another World (1951).

Earlier today I bought 4 new Blu Rays: Killer Klowns from Outer Space, The Omega Man, The Passion of the Christ, and The Fly (1986). Hopefully they are all good. I've got a little Blu Ray collection going now; I'm up to 15 movies. It helps that I have a great movie store nearby. Most of the movies I watch are usually from the library or Netflix/Amazon. Speaking of which, Tusk is on US Netflix right now.

Hopefully this is ranty enough for you DB.

I apologize in advance...

*ahem*

“STELAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!”
    • 558 posts
    August 3, 2018 2:53 AM EDT
    What did I get myself into?

"HeY STELLLLAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!