Forums » The Lounge

SPORTS!!!

• 1467 posts
    July 9, 2018 7:07 AM EDT

So...you guys heard of this sports thing? It's pretty popular in that country that exists in that location...oh wait it's all countries :P So this is really just a discussion that's for all the sports. We used to have a discussion for it but I can't find it so...yeah, talk Sports people. It can be Hockey, Football, Basketball, Football, Football, Football...maybe another type of Football. 

Basically if you've got Sports stuff to say, here's a fun discussion for random thoughts, in-depth discussions or anything else. Also Sports Games too. 

• 215 posts
    July 9, 2018 9:07 AM EDT

8 weeks until football season kicks off.  Can't wait for another season of pigskin action on the gridiron.

The World Cup has been amazing.  Upsets, shockers, shootouts and Germany not making it out of group stage which is a category unto itself.  I was so looking forward to a Messi/Ronaldo matchup in the Quarterfinals...didn't happen.  After Spain flamed out in penalties I thought Brazil was a lock for a sixth star on their kit.  Nope, not this year.  Croatia has been very fun to watch although I found myself rooting for Denmark (mainly due to their keeper) in the quarters and is it possible that England has a legit shot at hoisting the trophy for a second time? 

Not a huge basketball guy at all but the mayhem with LeBron going to the Lakers seems to have gotten a bunch of people fired up.  Always interesting to see where the dominos fall now.  Does Kawhi Leonard get traded before the season, at the deadline, or do the Spurs let him stew for this season and walk for free at seasons end?  That's the next big story. 

Are they playing baseball?  Man, not that long ago baseball was America's Pasttime.  Now it's an afterthought and nobody pays attention until the playoffs... kind of like basketball. 

Oh and Championship and Premier kick off within the month.  Leeds opens with Stoke in 27 days.  Hopefully a bunch of their matches will be streamed so I can watch them.  The burning question...will Leeds ever gain promotion in my lifetime again?  MOT, we'll see.

• 1467 posts
    July 9, 2018 7:19 PM EDT

Not a huge basketball guy at all but the mayhem with LeBron going to the Lakers seems to have gotten a bunch of people fired up.  Always interesting to see where the dominos fall now.  Does Kawhi Leonard get traded before the season, at the deadline, or do the Spurs let him stew for this season and walk for free at seasons end?  That's the next big story. 

Heh, the only sport of the three that I watch (well four...I'm not even American so I don't watch Baseball :P). I think at this point it's more or less impossible for anyone to get Kawhi, I mean, the Spurs without him would essentially need to trade him for some young stars or future first round draft picks to be able to rebuild either next year or the year after, they just aren't competitive without him and some of their other stars have been getting older and older and less and less competitive. 

The only plausible trades that I can see at this point are with Boston or Philedelphia and I just don't know if either have the right pieces, or would give them up. 

Lebron to Lakers was fun, I'm just dissapointed that it's probably not going to be as big as it should be. I mean the Western Conference just got a hell of a lot harder, and I could see the top 4 being Golden State, Houston, Lakers, OKC and the Utah Jazz and not in that order. The Lakers could be anywhere from 3rd seed to 5th seed. I can't see them topping Golden State or the Rockets but...

• 321 posts
    July 10, 2018 8:43 PM EDT
    So... I'm not much of a football/soccer fan, but I can't help but be excited for the semi-finals match-up for the World Cup. If France and England enter the finals, it'll be like a match-up against historic rivals.

*Hopes and prays for King Arthur V.S Jeanne D'Arc World Cup fanarts*
    • 585 posts
    July 12, 2018 11:10 AM EDT

I'm not even a big fan of football, but man was my English blood pumping for us to bring home the Football World Cup... So now I just feel a little deflated. I've found myself enjoying watching the sport more now though, I used to loathe it, although that might just be because I had a team to solidly root for. Don't really care for either of my city's teams, or any other in general to be honest. In fact, the most fun I've had with the sport is watching my mate fool a local football into believing he knew anything by basically copying the IT Crowd word-for-word.

Any rugby fans in the house? While I played it for a few years and it's definitely my favourite sport to watch, I don't know enough about it to pass conversationaly, so any discussion would be welcome!

• 197 posts
    July 12, 2018 11:24 AM EDT

Zonnonn said:

In fact, the most fun I've had with the sport is watching my mate fool a local football into believing he knew anything by basically copying the IT Crowd word-for-word.

I haven’t followed any sport at all since college, but I could also copy the IT Crowd word for word. That’s basically how I feel about sports. And that’s a little weird since I went to one of the most sports-oriented universities around - University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Where Michael Jordan played, although he’s way before most of your times. He’s slightly before my time, college-wise, although I was in Chapel Hill when he opened his restaurant there, and met him as part of a group of students. He’s even taller than he looks on TV. 

• 585 posts
    July 12, 2018 11:32 AM EDT

ilanisilver said:

I haven’t followed any sport at all since college, but I could also copy the IT Crowd word for word. That’s basically how I feel about sports. And that’s a little weird since I went to one of the most sports-oriented universities around - University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Where Michael Jordan played, although he’s way before most of your times. He’s slightly before my time, college-wise, although I was in Chapel Hill when he opened his restaurant there, and met him as part of a group of students. He’s even taller than he looks on TV. 

Can't say that I've ever seen Michael Jordan on TV, or really know all that much about him to be honest. Basketball never really it to the UK in a big way. But holy shit from what I've seen those players look enormous, sometimes I forget just how tall people can be. I know he makes/puts his name on trainers that one of my mates is obsessed with, and he might've had a Hitler moustache at one point? Dunno, that might just be a meme... GO SPORTS!

• 197 posts
    July 12, 2018 11:34 AM EDT

I’m going right now to look up Michael Jordan in a Hitler mustache. I can’t remember it, but yeah. Go sports! 

• 197 posts
    July 12, 2018 11:38 AM EDT

OMG, he did! It was on an underwear commercial, which explains why I haven’t seen it. Aside from stays at my parents’ house where the TV is on 24/7, I haven’t had cable service forever, just watch Netflix or whatever. So I was saved from seeing that low point in his life. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    July 13, 2018 9:51 PM EDT

I enjoy watching football matches the most. When the Olympics are around (or any other big sport event) I also enjoy watching volleyball and its variations (beach, duos and whatever). I sometimes enjoy watching tennis matches, but I'd rather play it than watch it (though I haven't had the opportunity - ahem, neither the will - to do so for.. almost two years, I think. Gee, does time fly...)

I'm enjoying the World Cup, even if my country didn't even get to the semifinals (Brazil). I am rooting for Croatia this Sunday. Gotta love the underdogs, right?

• 585 posts
    July 14, 2018 11:30 AM EDT

Mr. Edd said:

I enjoy watching football matches the most. When the Olympics are around (or any other big sport event) I also enjoy watching volleyball and its variations (beach, duos and whatever). I sometimes enjoy watching tennis matches, but I'd rather play it than watch it (though I haven't had the opportunity - ahem, neither the will - to do so for.. almost two years, I think. Gee, does time fly...)

I'm enjoying the World Cup, even if my country didn't even get to the semifinals (Brazil). I am rooting for Croatia this Sunday. Gotta love the underdogs, right?

There's something about the Olympics that just gets me buzzing. Not once in my life had I given a rats arse about archery, but when I flicked it on randomly in Brazil 2016 Olympics I was raging at the judges for being biased, commenting on form and accuracy and basially salvating at this sport that I still don't care about at all. And with sports that I do care about, I'm fanatical.

• 558 posts
    July 14, 2018 5:59 PM EDT

I like watching baseball, football and association football. I only play soccer, though.

• 1467 posts
    July 14, 2018 7:27 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Mr. Edd said:

There's something about the Olympics that just gets me buzzing. Not once in my life had I given a rats arse about archery, but when I flicked it on randomly in Brazil 2016 Olympics I was raging at the judges for being biased, commenting on form and accuracy and basially salvating at this sport that I still don't care about at all. And with sports that I do care about, I'm fanatical.

I...only watched Basketball at the Olympics :P BUT, I think I watched a weird amount of the Winter Olympics, just random sports on a daily basis, mostly watching people fuck up when it happened (it turns out...australia kinda sucks at most Winter sports). But isn't that the point of the Olympics? For most of us to care about Sports that we've never watched, played or cared about.

• 197 posts
    July 16, 2018 11:15 AM EDT

You guys...I’m sitting here with my mom, who loves watching golf. And all golf-related things, apparently. Coverage for the British Open runs all week. All week, which needs to be talked about in its own, separate discussion.

But for now, they’re interviewing players. Seriously, is there anything more useless than a sportscaster or sports interviewer? Sorry if any of you guys are in this profession, but hopefully you do it better than these ones. There’s this one guy who’s being interviewed, and everything they’re asking him is about what he thinks of some other golfer’s chances of winning. He’s handling things way better than I would. This would be me:

• 1467 posts
    July 16, 2018 7:33 PM EDT

ilanisilver said:

You guys...I’m sitting here with my mom, who loves watching golf. And all golf-related things, apparently. Coverage for the British Open runs all week. All week, which needs to be talked about in its own, separate discussion.

But for now, they’re interviewing players. Seriously, is there anything more useless than a sportscaster or sports interviewer? Sorry if any of you guys are in this profession, but hopefully you do it better than these ones. There’s this one guy who’s being interviewed, and everything they’re asking him is about what he thinks of some other golfer’s chances of winning. He’s handling things way better than I would. This would be me:

Wait...likes golf? Sure, let's roll with that being something that people actually enjoy watching. Yeah, sports interviews are, about 80% useless as far as I can tell. You get the occasional good question, but really it's more about the answer and some athletes are either kinda hilarious or it's funny to watch them have no idea how to answer questions and you get those socially awkward people who have to answer questions. Always great fun but the questions aren't the part of it that I enjoy (and I imagine that golfers aren't exactly the most interesting people around...could be wrong, but...yeah just...not these guys who dedicate their lives to being better at...golf). 

Some sports commmentators are alright, not many honestly, I watch Rugby League (one of our many types of football down here) and my god some of them are so hooked on games that happened 30 years ago that it gets incredibly annoying. Like, I know there are boring plays in any game, but you could at least bore me with relevant stats...or even just talk about the weather before games that have already happened. 

• 321 posts
    July 16, 2018 7:44 PM EDT
    Ah, golf. The businessmen's game. Honestly I get bored watching golf with my dad. It's like I'm watching a documentary show minus the cool landscape and all. Zzzzz...
    • 197 posts
    July 16, 2018 11:39 PM EDT
    It’s super boring, and awesome for taking naps. My parents’ favorite sports are the two most snoozeworthy, at least on TV. Golf and baseball. Now, I love going to baseball games. It’s fun. But watching on TV? Oh, no. Of course, I watched the Home Run Derby with my dad tonight and the guy who won looks like a Jazzercise instructor from the 80s. A little interesting.
    • 127 posts
    July 20, 2018 6:35 AM EDT
    Hey, golf is great fun... to play, at least.

Then again, most sports are much more interesting when you’re the one getting involved. Except darts. Watching darts is fascinating.
    • 585 posts
    July 20, 2018 11:29 AM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

I watch Rugby League (one of our many types of football down here)

I'm sorry what? Did you really just say that rugby was a 'type' of football?.. I might need a minute to calm down.

In your defence, League is shite, Union is the only true version of the sport (Sevens is ok though). But cmon, Debbie, I thought you were better than this.

Wait...likes golf? Sure, let's roll with that being something that people actually enjoy watching. Yeah, sports interviews are, about 80% useless as far as I can tell. You get the occasional good question, but really it's more about the answer and some athletes are either kinda hilarious or it's funny to watch them have no idea how to answer questions and you get those socially awkward people who have to answer questions. Always great fun but the questions aren't the part of it that I enjoy (and I imagine that golfers aren't exactly the most interesting people around...could be wrong, but...yeah just...not these guys who dedicate their lives to being better at...golf).

I don't think you could find a worse demographic for good conversation than sports people. They have incredible skill in what they do, but virtually none of them have any experience in talking, being witty, being good interviewees. I feel bad watching them honestly, just let them get back to what they do best.

• 127 posts
    July 20, 2018 11:35 AM EDT

Zonnonn said:

I'm sorry what? Did you really just say that rugby was a 'type' of football?.. I might need a minute to calm down.

In your defence, League is shite, Union is the only true version of the sport (Sevens is ok though). But cmon, Debbie, I thought you were better than this.

If you want to be technical about it (and I do), it is actually Assocation Football: Rugby Style.

But you're correct, Union is where it's at.

• 197 posts
    July 20, 2018 12:13 PM EDT

Joshua Primrose said: Hey, golf is great fun... to play, at least. Then again, most sports are much more interesting when you’re the one getting involved. Except darts. Watching darts is fascinating.

I’ve never watched darts other than those times at college/grad school where I was in a bar when they were being played. And yeah, that was fun. One of my guilty pleasure watching things, though? Curling. Curling to me is fascinating, in no small part because I have no idea what they’re doing. I’ve looked up the mechanics of it, the physics of it, and wow. But yeah, I can watch curling on the Olympics for hours. 

• 127 posts
    July 20, 2018 3:44 PM EDT
    Oh god, curling. It’s always the inexplicable sports that grab my attention. I have no idea how the scoring for gymnastics works in the olympics, and that’s why I end up watching it. Still have no idea, and I’m starting to think I never will.
    • 215 posts
    July 20, 2018 4:28 PM EDT

Curling...love it when it's on the Olympics.  Never think about it any other time...lol. 

Soccer of course...Go Leeds!  MOT

I'm pretty lenient to most spots with a few exceptions off the top of my head.  Cricket for one.  Darts is NOT a sport...lol.  Anything I can do in a bar at 1:30 in the morning while ripped drunk is not a sport. 

• 127 posts
    July 20, 2018 5:07 PM EDT
    You say that, but isn’t darts just the javelin but really really small?
    • 585 posts
    July 21, 2018 4:46 AM EDT

Joshua Primrose said:

If you want to be technical about it (and I do), it is actually Assocation Football: Rugby Style.

But you're correct, Union is where it's at.

Interesting, so Grid Iron payes homage to rugby... I think I'm alright with that.