Forums » Elder Scrolls

Skyrim: Adoptions

• 215 posts
    July 8, 2018 6:20 PM EDT

So, if you go into the RP aspect of the game do you (or do you not) adopt children?

If you DO adopt, do you normally adopt the same kids each game?  Are there specific kids that you gravitate towards (or away from)?  What criteria do you use in the game for adoption purposes. 

I always have a soft spot for the two girls in Whiterun and Windhelm.  But I also feel that must be doing OK in the towns if they haven't been shipped off to Riften.  I usually like to take one kid from the orphanage...after all they are in need of a home.  I've also used one build to take the boy from the stables outside Solitude. 

• 55 posts
    July 8, 2018 7:28 PM EDT
    I too have a soft spot for the Whiterun and Windhelm girls....they just sound so sad. That said I think the only time I ever adopted them it was the character when hearthfire first dropped just to build the homesteads, adopt, etc. I rarely get married anymore and never adopt. Likely because I played a lot more nords at first and have since played a lot more non human races and thus don’t feel the same connection with the all human adoption options. Also, my RP never really supports it. Hmm perhaps I should change that...
    • 197 posts
    July 8, 2018 10:25 PM EDT

I adopt the girl from Windhelm too. Sofie, is she? I mean, she sleeps outside on the ice in Windhelm. I just couldn’t let that go. But yeah, I wondered how she got away with staying in Windhelm when Aventus got sent to Riften. And then Lucia from Whiterun. Just because Sofie needs a sister and Brenuin is a little creepy to be hanging out with a little kid. As far as criteria, I don’t have much. Girls, because I have a daughter. I don’t usually go to the orphanage because I hate having to choose and leave the rest of them standing there. 

• 275 posts
    July 9, 2018 1:40 AM EDT

I almost never adopt. I don't play characters who would be likely to settle down at any point. When I do, though, I adopt a kid of my own character's race, whether it be vanilla or modded.

• 33 posts
    July 9, 2018 11:19 AM EDT

I generally have the philosophy that my character (being a badass globetrotting dragonslayer) wouldn't really be a good influence. I mean, I would barely spend time at home, and although I could technically leave them with my steward, housecarl, bard or even my wife, that brings the secondary problem that then I wouldn't be much of a father, I'd be more of a new orphanage owner (plus, marriage presents the exact same problem).

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    July 13, 2018 9:53 PM EDT

I never adopted (or did way back when and don't remember it...). But, I would like to adopt with my main character if I ever get back to do a new, complete playthrough with him, because it "fits" his story. Not the adoption part, but the having a kid part. 

• 5 posts
    July 24, 2018 5:12 AM EDT

A rarely adopt since the requirements (I.E having a home for the kids and/or killing Grelod) don't came up or happen too late in most of my playthrough.

But RP wise adoption may fit for a couple of my character :

- For a "balanced" dragonborn trying to bridge the conflicting sides of Skyrim to adopt both the orphan of Windhelm and Solitude is a good prospect

- For the hero of the Stormcloak the orphan of Whiterun for atonement (we may have turn a bit of her life more upside/down than before...)

- The kid of Dawnstar is also very compelling somehow, making his due everyday even in its situation...

Strangely enough I have no appeal for the kids in Riften Orphanage because :

1°) You have to start the Darkbrotherhood questline for the option

2°) They are soooooo bland...

3°) They DO cheer to the brutal death of a human being, albeit a very terrible person but still !!!