Forums » The Lounge

Top Ten Favorite Movies

• 558 posts
    June 12, 2018 9:30 PM EDT

We can all relate to movies. We all have our favorites. Here are mine:

1. The Unknown (1927) - This is a dark romance silent film set in a circus featuring the American cinema legends, Lon Chaney, Sr. and Joan Crawford. Incredible. I have a wordpress with the whole (50 minute) film on it if you are interested: https://silentmovielibrary.wordpress.com/

2. Nosferatu (1922) - Another silent film, and this one is the first known adaption of Dracula. Max Shreck as Count Orlok is iconic. A true classic.

3. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) - The 70's German remake of the 20's German classic. One of the best remakes ever, it totally stands on its own.

4. Night of the Living Dead (1968) - One of the most influential films in the horror genre, and a great film, too. Who doesn't love zombies?

5. The Godfather (1972) - This is one of the most influential films for the gangster genre, and it is great, as well. A beautiful and moving tragedy.

6. Braveheart (1995) - A great historical epic. Mel Gibson did a fantastic job in front and behind the camera.

7. Freaks (1932) - This was actually directed by the same guy who did The Unknown, Tod Browning. Freaks effectively ended his career for being "too shocking" at the time, and that was even before the Hays code was around. It's basically a drama with some horror elements, but it is pretty damn dark and twisted.

8. First Blood (1982) - An 80's action movie that isn't cheesy. The whole concept of the film is brilliant, and you almost immediately sympathize with Stallone's character.

9. Clash of the Titans (1981) - A swashbuckling adventure with a crazy plot and novel special effects. Greek mythology comes to life in this unforgettable movie.

10. War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) - Much darker than I expected, this is a beautiful film that completely riveted me from beginning to end. It's basically a science fiction western.

That's my top ten. Have you seen any of these films?

And what's your top ten? Let us know down below!

This post was edited by Gollum at June 12, 2018 10:00 PM EDT
    • 197 posts
    June 12, 2018 10:14 PM EDT
    I’ve seen your 4,5,6,8 and 9.
    Here’s mine:

1. V For Vendetta
    2. To Kill a Mockingbird
    3. The Two Towers (LOTR)
    4. Ex Machina
    5. Clerks 2
    6. Moana
    7. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (I fast-forward the catch scene)
    8. Elf
    9. Serenity
    10. Logan Lucky

I didn’t think very hard about it, just wrote down what first came to mind. I’m not saying these movies are *the best* movies, just that they’re the most entertaining to me, the ones I like to watch the most, for whatever reason.
    • 558 posts
    June 12, 2018 10:20 PM EDT

Nice. I've seen your 1, 2, 3, 7 (catch scene?), and 8.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be the *best* movies ever. However, my favorite movies are the best movies ever, at least to me.

• 197 posts
    June 12, 2018 10:51 PM EDT
    Where Quill and his dad play catch on his dad’s planet. Or I guess, on his dad. It’s really forced and cringeworthy. Not sure whether it was meant to be or not, since Ego was basically faking everything, but it was hard to watch.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    June 12, 2018 11:01 PM EDT

Ooof. I'm not sure. My list isn't definitive, I'm probably forgetting about a lot of movies, and don't take my ranking that seriously, but these are some movies I really like:

1. The Godfather

2. True Grit (2010)

3. Django Unchained

4. Interstellar

5. Dunkirk

6. Inglourious Basterds

7. The Dark Knight

8. The King's Speech

9. Gangs of New York

10. Reservoir Dogs

Really wanted to put these in: The Hateful Eight, The Wolf of Wall Street.

Honorable mention: No Country for Old Men. It's been too long since I watched it, and I read the book after it... So maybe I would include this on the list more on the merit of the book (which I really loved) than the movie, but I think I enjoyed the movie too?

I don't think I could ever make a concrete list. There are just too many movies I enjoy.

• 321 posts
    June 12, 2018 11:54 PM EDT

I'm not scaling these on a 1-10 rating. These are just the first 10 movies that comes into my mind when I heard the word 'favorite'. They're the kinds that I love to watch and I don't mind watching them again.

1. Saving Private Ryan

2. The Dark Knight

3. Forrest Gump

4. Dirty Harry

5. Ready Player One

6. John Wick

7. Zatoichi

8. Your Name

9. Spirited Away

10. Ghost in the Shell (the anime movie, not the live-action)

• 1467 posts
    June 13, 2018 12:07 AM EDT

No real order to it naturally :P

1. Thor:Ragnarok
    2. Logan
    3. The Dark Knight
    4. 300 (yeah...I know)
    5. Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel, Part 1 - Pressage Flower (yeah...long ass title)
    6. Gladiator
    7. John Wick (Parts 1 and 2)
    8. Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers
    9. The Shawshank Redemption
    10. Shit...this is tough, uh. Blade Runner 2049 I think, really enjoyed that, ended up watching it multiple times.

• 411 posts
    June 13, 2018 12:14 AM EDT
    Is a list filled with nothing but Space Jam valid?
    • 197 posts
    June 13, 2018 10:13 AM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

2. Logan
    3. The Dark Knight
    4. 300 (yeah...I know)
    5. Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel, Part 1 - Pressage Flower (yeah...long ass title)
    6. Gladiator
    10. Shit...this is tough, uh. Blade Runner 2049 I think, really enjoyed that, ended up watching it multiple times.

Yay, another Two Towers fan! When I tell someone that’s my favorite of the three, I usually get a weird look, like they’d forgotten that was even a movie. And I just watched 2049 last night. Jared Leto aside, it was pretty good. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    June 13, 2018 12:31 PM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

2. Logan
    3. The Dark Knight
    4. 300 (yeah...I know)
    6. Gladiator

I had forgotten about Bladerunner 2049. It was an amazing movie, great experience watching it on the big screen. I get the feeling there are some movies, like 2049 and Dunkirk, that are best enjoyed in a cinema.

• 10 posts
    June 13, 2018 3:21 PM EDT

I don’t think these are in any real order, to be honest. ^^ Also, listing just ten favourite films was difficult!

1. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    2. The Intouchables
    3. Ex Machina
    4. Vaiana (Moana) / Inside Out
    5. Guardians of the Galaxy
    6. Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
    7. Children of Men
    8. The Truman Show
    9. The Incredibles
    10. My Neighbour Totoro

• 1467 posts
    June 13, 2018 7:12 PM EDT

Yay, another Two Towers fan! When I tell someone that’s my favorite of the three, I usually get a weird look, like they’d forgotten that was even a movie. And I just watched 2049 last night. Jared Leto aside, it was pretty good. 

...But it was just, clearly the best of them? Not by far or anything, but it was an awesome movie...

• 558 posts
    June 13, 2018 10:15 PM EDT

Nice picks, guys.

• 70 posts
    June 14, 2018 5:26 AM EDT

Not in Order, would be to hard to pick one ^^ also im only 21 so dont expect Old Classics :D 

1. Brotherhood of the Wolf

2. Shrek 1&2 cant decide between the two :D 

3. The Two Towers

4. John Wick 

5. A Nightmare on Elm Street 1 

6. Alien

7. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

8. Dracula with Christopher Lee

9. Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter. One of the best WW2 Movies ive seen.

10. Princess Mononoke

• 585 posts
    June 14, 2018 5:27 AM EDT

Yet another list with no real order to it:

Godfather

No Country for Old Men

Beasts of the Southern Wild

An independent film called About a Girl

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

The Bicycle Thief

United 93

Resevoir Dogs

Rear Window

Dunkirk

• 558 posts
    June 15, 2018 12:35 AM EDT
    I want to see The Bicycle Thief
    • 62 posts
    June 16, 2018 5:03 PM EDT

1) Hot Fuzz
    2) Shawn of the Dead
    3) The Meaning of Life
    4) The Life of Brian
    5) Deadpool
    6) Guardians of the Galaxy
    7) Blues Brothers
    8) The Soloist
    9) Pan's Labyrinth
    10) Greener Pastures

• 62 posts
    June 16, 2018 5:17 PM EDT

Vezrabuto said:

1. Brotherhood of the Wolf

Dude, no one ever understands why this movie is so amazing! It's entirely possible that it would seem cliche to a French person and only seems so creative and groundbreaking to me because it doesn't follow the "rules" of Hollywood...but seriously, maybe I'm just an uncultured slob, but some of their narrative decisions blew my fucking mind.

• 197 posts
    June 16, 2018 6:34 PM EDT

Tysoyaha said:

1) Hot Fuzz
    2) Shawn of the Dead
    3) The Meaning of Life
    4) The Life of Brian
    5) Deadpool
    6) Guardians of the Galaxy
    7) Blues Brothers
    8) The Soloist
    9) Pan's Labyrinth
    10) Greener Pastures

Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead just miss my top ten, but not by much. a couple of years ago I trolled my kid by saying “yarp” and ”narp” when she kept asking questions over and over and over, like kids do. It was great. 

• 558 posts
    June 17, 2018 2:18 AM EDT
    I just watched The Devil's Candy. My list might get rearranged after more reflection.
    • 70 posts
    June 17, 2018 9:55 AM EDT

I agree Tysoyaha ^^ 

and on top of that the movie was also inspiration for Bloodborne. 

• 62 posts
    June 17, 2018 12:46 PM EDT

Vezrabuto said:

I agree Tysoyaha ^^ 

and on top of that the movie was also inspiration for Bloodborne. 

Oh shit, really? That's cool, I didn't know that.

• 62 posts
    June 17, 2018 12:49 PM EDT

ilanisilver said:

Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead just miss my top ten, but not by much. a couple of years ago I trolled my kid by saying “yarp” and ”narp” when she kept asking questions over and over and over, like kids do. It was great. 

That's pretty hilarious. Almost makes me want to have a kid just so I'd always have access to a human with a half developed brain around that I could easily troll. Then again, I have a Reddit account, so...

• 70 posts
    June 18, 2018 3:00 AM EDT

Yeah there are a few things mainly the attire but also the exotic weapons like the Whip sword resembling the Threaded Cane and the theme of Hunters going out hunting a Monster ^^