Forums » Fallout

Fallout 76 - Factions?

• 1467 posts
    June 10, 2018 3:56 AM EDT

So we've got, like roughly a day or so before E3 so I'm just going to be posting some general discussions. If you haven't checked it out, there's a topic about what we think Ghouls  might end up being like in Fallout 76, but this discussion is based on the factions we may or may not see in Fallout 76. It's a bit of a combination about some factions we haven't seen.

Now I don't know all of the lore behind the game, but I'll just leave it at this. What factions do you think are going to 'return'? What storylines do you think we'll see for each faction? Are there any factions you'd prefer not to see? There are a few more questions I guess you could ask but those are sorta the...general list I guess.

Fallout 76 Discussion Archive

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at June 12, 2018 1:47 AM EDT
    • 773 posts
    June 10, 2018 9:05 AM EDT

Interesting topic DB

The Brotherhood of Steel certainly existed in 2102, which seems like it will be date we leave Vault 76, but it didn't fully emerge - at least according to existing lore - until about 2134 (Source: Fallout Wikia). What were they doing back in 2102? I expect we'll find out in some way...

The Institute was founded in 2110 (Wikia again) so, unless we meet one or two proto-members, I doubt they'll have a presence. And that' fine, because we saw more than enough of them in Fallout 4. And without the Institute, I presume there is no need for the Railroad. In similar vein, we won't be seeing anything of the Minutemen - far too early. How will we manage with Preston's great-great-great-great grandfather telling us he will 'mark the location on our map'

A more intrigiung possibility is that we will see a LOT more of the Enclave. And I think we will. They fit much more easily into the timeframe, and because we don't know that much about them, I will go on a limb and predict that Fallout 76 will largely be about the Enclave in the same kind of way that Fallout 4 was 'driven' by the Institute. I think we'll be discovering them, and will have the option to be 'for' them or 'against' them - with a branching questline depending on our choices.

Of course, I could be totally wrong on that - just a feeling...

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    June 10, 2018 12:28 PM EDT

I agree, I think Paul's the most rational guess someone could make. Unfortunately, the rumours that the original Brotherhood of Steel and the Master are going to show up brings about the shadow of a major, unprecedented retcon coming our way (all of that happened in the West Coast, birthplace of both the Brotherhood of Steel and the Master - I briefly talked about it on a lore article on F.E.V I wrote a few years ago - in the first Fallout game, and its implications and consequences are felt throughout the entire series - Fallout 2, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4). Gosh, I hope it's just a bloody rumour...

• 1441 posts
    June 10, 2018 2:15 PM EDT
    I mean, I could see Roger Maxson perhaps sending out some scouts
    • 1467 posts
    June 10, 2018 7:12 PM EDT

Yeah, honestly the more I think about it the more I hope that the game either has purely new factions, or like Paul suggested, The Enclave being the primary focus, or at the very least one of the major factions. What I would like to see is a more post-war feel to the factions, have, for example (something that I think people have mentioned in videos) members of the Fallout World's Congress that are trying to restart civilization themselves. Not sure but I think I watched a video talking about a safe haven for congress members existing in WV.  

But I think there is more of a chance to get 'real-world' factions rather than just the creations of the war. Something like the United States Army still being around and them being your BoS equivelent (of the major military force) but who knows. Didn't see much from the trailer to really have me speculating anything in particular. 

• 1467 posts
    June 11, 2018 12:33 AM EDT

I gotta be real, it's looking like Factions just aren't going to be a big thing in the game.

• 55 posts
    June 11, 2018 12:45 AM EDT
    I know it doesn’t mean much but one of the players in the trailer is wearing what we know as a BOS Uniform, the orange and grayish one that is the common variant. Granted this is obviously a pre-war uniform but could mean BOS by a different name. Perhaps a military splinter of the Enclave which in itself could be a splinter group of the Enclave we know. Perhaps one made up of more congressional/legislative types vs the Poseidon rig Enclave which if memory serves me is more the president and co. All headquartered in the resort from the trailer I forgot the name Briar-something that holds the actual Cold War bunkers.
    • 1467 posts
    June 11, 2018 1:06 AM EDT

Huh, hadn't noticed that. I'm still not really sure how much of the game is actually going to be story-based but yeah wouldn't mind it. So possibly the Brotherhood of Steel showing up in some capacity, yeah I like that. Realistically I could see either the BoS of Enclave showing up, maybe the origins for both of them, Children of Atom perhaps being a major player. Uh, other then that I kind of hope it's new stuff you know.

• 55 posts
    June 13, 2018 10:22 AM EDT

Just wanted to throw it out there on the thread that at this point it has been announced there are no -human- NPCs. Lots of robots and monsters and scorched (semi-feral ghouls) and stuff for you to shoot and kill (including each other). This likely means there are few to no factions. Perhaps some robotic factions? But certainly nothing like what we have seen before or think of with factions. Sounds to me like FO3's system where there are...."groups" mostly within geographical areas like the robots at the Greenbriar resort that are dealing with X threat and you can help or kill them. Something of that sort.

Factions will really be what players want to create amonst themselves! Want to create the West Virginian Minutemen? Do it. A precursor to the Children of Atom? Yes please! The FO76 subreddit is already filled with tons of player factions people are planning to create.