Forums » Fallout

New Fallout?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 30, 2018 11:22 AM EDT

Patriarch said:

I think it's really important to reiterate this: Anyone who spends the next two weeks expecting Fallout: 76 to be a new traditional single-player RPG will be VERY disappointed https://t.co/gUmNYtDXDS

— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) May 30, 2018

Oh... No.

• 694 posts
    May 30, 2018 11:28 AM EDT

Yeah, I think it's good to keep that in mind. I'll be interested to see what they show us at E3. That said, even if it starts out as a small(ish) online game, I think it could become something more built out over time. ESO wasn't super well-received out of the gate but it's been built out and honed over time. Maybe we'll see the same sort of model here where new maps/vaults, features, crafting are rolled out...? 

Even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea, I know there definitely is demand for it. I was just having a conversation the other day where someone said they would LOVE to see Fallout eventually made to some sort of online game/MMO. 

• 248 posts
    May 30, 2018 11:36 AM EDT

Reading some more - Vault 76 was a control vault with 500 residents in the DC area designed to be opened 20 yrs after the bombs.. And based on the 2077 bombs and the PipBoy shown date of Oct 27th 2102 in the reveal trailer - that all lines up. 

The question still remains...what is the game? But yeah. pretty cool IMO

• 248 posts
    May 30, 2018 11:43 AM EDT

Edana said:

Yeah, I think it's good to keep that in mind. I'll be interested to see what they show us at E3. That said, even if it starts out as a small(ish) online game, I think it could become something more built out over time. ESO wasn't super well-received out of the gate but it's been built out and honed over time. Maybe we'll see the same sort of model here where new maps/vaults, features, crafting are rolled out...? 

Even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea, I know there definitely is demand for it. I was just having a conversation the other day where someone said they would LOVE to see Fallout eventually made to some sort of online game/MMO. 

yup - their biz model has been established. this is going to be online.

• 277 posts
    May 30, 2018 1:28 PM EDT
    YESSSSS!!!!!!!! I'm calling it now, my first build for 76 will be inspired by the Kingsman's Merlin!
    • 773 posts
    May 30, 2018 1:39 PM EDT

Intriguing stuff

We are hearing talk on 'online elements' - so not necessarily MMO, perhaps some sort of Co-Op mode? Or maybe something entirely new? Perhaps a similar thing to what they did with Fallout Shelter i.e they release something on the day of E3, maybe a special website, where you can 'get started' before the game actually releases? Just speculating..

Also notice that the TV part of the trailer mentions: 'It's time to re-build..'. So perhaps some sort of ramped up settlement building game, where you emerge from the Vault and quite literally have to 'rebuild the nation'.

I can certainly be content with another Fallout game. Right now, I'm getting my Elder Scrolls fix from ESO, and would be happy for another Fallout game right now.

• 743 posts
    May 30, 2018 2:09 PM EDT

I feel as if this is going to be Fallout's ESO, to a certain extent. Something to keep Fallout fans occupied during the long period of time that will go by before Fallout 5 is released. Honestly not mad about that at all. 

• 136 posts
    May 30, 2018 2:30 PM EDT
    https://kotaku.com/sources-fallout-76-is-an-online-survival-rpg-1826425333/amp?__twitter_impression=true
    • 248 posts
    May 30, 2018 3:39 PM EDT

Patriarch said: https://kotaku.com/sources-fallout-76-is-an-online-survival-rpg-1826425333/amp?__twitter_impression=true

yeah that seems right. that guy has been super reliable with fallout spoilers fwiw

• 277 posts
    May 30, 2018 4:02 PM EDT

Online could also mean like Diablo 3 is. The game has an online chat and the option to play in co-op.

• 585 posts
    May 30, 2018 4:40 PM EDT

Anyone else seen this?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ye84Zrqndo

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 30, 2018 5:25 PM EDT

Okay, it may be wishful thinking - but it really looks like the trailer is running in the same engine as Fallout 4. I hope so, because at worst that rules out the possibility of an MMO, and at best it indicates that this is actually Fallout 4's New Vegas. Yes, I know it's unlikely, but man... the prospect of having to wait ten more years for a new Fallout I can enjoy, bringing it to a total of almost 20 years is very... bad. 

The only way I would be okay with an online Fallout would be if multiplayer was optional, not a part of the core of the game (in a way that it isn't blatant that something, anything in the game was designed specifically with multiplayer in mind) and if this online feature was nothing more than co-op, like Divinity: Original Sin 2.

• 295 posts
    May 30, 2018 5:30 PM EDT
    It’s only gonna be good if there is a devoted canine companion. I don’t a puppy!

*sobs uncontrollably*
    • 627 posts
    May 30, 2018 6:37 PM EDT

Colour me intrigued.

• 6 posts
    May 30, 2018 7:11 PM EDT

Mottyskills said:

Reading some more - Vault 76 was a control vault with 500 residents in the DC area designed to be opened 20 yrs after the bombs.. And based on the 2077 bombs and the PipBoy shown date of Oct 27th 2102 in the reveal trailer - that all lines up. 

The question still remains...what is the game? But yeah. pretty cool IMO

Based on this information I'm inclined to think it will be an online game.  Five hundred residents flowing out of a vault 20 years after the bombs, and crawling out to the Fallout all at once? Sounds like a great opening to an MMO if you ask me!  The image of the Reclamation Day party in the teaser video seems to support this as well, given that there appears to have been a huge party inside the vault that was abandoned all at once.

The fact that Fallout76 is set in the earliest time period in Fallout history would also provide a good setting in which to base a Fallout MMO on. That time period would provide a grey area in which they can work to create new stories prior to the creation of certain factions,  allow for individual player character stories without interfering with canon stories, and the ability to patch into the beginnings of canon factions.

I for one am very excited for a Fallout MMO! A fallout Co-Op or MMO is exactly what I've been wishing for!  I have played the heck out of Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Fallout 4, and I still have yet to completely finish them! I don't need another stand alone Fallout yet.  I also have much left to play in Fallout 1,2, BOS, etc. What I would like, is a Fallout I can play with friends! And I'm confident that Bethesda has had much time and experience to learn from their mistakes in ESO, and will be able to provide a solid Fallout MMO game. As with any other MMO, I don't expect it to be perfect at first.  So, I am very hopeful and very much hoping for a Fallout Online!

Also, Vault 76 has evidently been mentioned in Fallout 3 DLC Broken Steel and Fallout 4, and is located in Virginia.  The fact that Vault 76 is said to be in Virginia matches up with the West Virginia song in the teaser.  So, it will likely be set in Virginia!  That's exciting and promising.  I am very content for it to be set in Virginia!

This post was edited by LyonsKnight at May 30, 2018 7:17 PM EDT
    • 6 posts
    May 30, 2018 7:49 PM EDT

I don't know if it's just me, but when I see and hear the "76" it immediately reminds me of Route 66. I've tried looking to see if there are any famous route 76's, especially in Virginia, but have come up empty handed.  The teaser song "Take me Home" has great reference to the "Old Country Road," which again conjures up a Route 66 reference in my mind.  Perhaps Vault 76 is on a large interestate reminscent of Route 66?  I can definitely see great correlation between a lone traveler and an interstate highway. There's never been a Fallout game named after the Vault of the main character; could be a first, but I can't help but feel there must be a greater significance to the 76...

• 1441 posts
    May 30, 2018 8:27 PM EDT
    There is a F2P Fallout like MMO you can find on Steam. Fallen Earth or something
    • 490 posts
    May 30, 2018 8:36 PM EDT

After Fallout 4 comes out - "Ok cool, Elder Scrolls is next!"

Bethesda in following press conferences - "We don't want to be a two trick pony and just push out Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. We have new stuff coming."

After announcing two new upcoming IPs - "New Fallout game!"

This some bullshit. Elder Scrolls or bust.

• 1441 posts
    May 30, 2018 9:31 PM EDT
    It kind of fits. We got 3 and New Vegas in-between Oblivion and Skyrim
    • 490 posts
    May 30, 2018 10:29 PM EDT

Chris said: It kind of fits. We got 3 and New Vegas in-between Oblivion and Skyrim

NV wasn't Bethesda...

• 33 posts
    May 30, 2018 11:32 PM EDT

Well, with a little logic, you can realize that the Bethesda Fallout titles are called 3 and 4; they seem to leave more ambiguous names for side games like Shelter and New Vegas. So, by logic of it being called 76, it won't be 5. Secondly, Bethesda announced it as "their" new game; this might mean that they are being liars liars pants on plasma, but if it's the realio dealio, it might mean the worst may have come to pass.

Fallout Online.

Eugh.

• 1467 posts
    May 31, 2018 12:06 AM EDT

I'd hate it if it was Fallout Online or if it was built around co-op. I think Bethesda should focus more on single player games, but I'm a bit biased because they're the only ones I really play. But honestly, I don't think Fallout lends itself as well to online play. I think there would be something incredibly distracting about seeing dozens of other people running around and doing whatever, I think that the post-apocalyptic world just goes against the population of an MMO. I could be wrong, there are probably some post apocalyptic MMO's, but honestly I can't name one off the top of my  head (and obviously I'm ignoring games where there was an apocalypse thousands of years ago, or that you have to stop or something). If it's set 20 years after the end of the war like Motty suggested, I think the MMO/Online aspect is even less likely, simply because it wouldn't fit.

So my theory at the moment is that it is going to be a sort of spiritual successor to Fallout New Vegas. That or I could easily imagine this being focused purely on Settlement Building because I feel like that's one of the best mechanics from Fallout 4 that got a fair amount of praise (the system itself, I know there are some people who don't like it being included in the game but...eh) so honestly if it was essentially 'Fallout Sims' I'd 100% believe that and roll with it. But that's less likely, I still think a FNV-esque game is more likely, and I'll be incredibly dissapointed if it isn't.

• 773 posts
    May 31, 2018 4:07 AM EDT

I saw that some guy claiming inside knowledge (don't they all, lol) was saying that it would be similar to a game called 'Rust'. So I checked out Rust, and whilst it's obviously been something of a mess, you can see what they were going for - namely that you are thrust into a post-apocalyptic world with basically nothing at all and you have to survive whilst rebuilding society.

Ignoring the faults and failings of Rust, its easy to see how this could play out with Fallout 76. You emerge, blinking in the light, from Fallout 76 along with 500 others. You've got a Vault Suit and a security baton, but nothing else. you have to start scavenging a limited stock of items - whilst fending off feral ghouls. By co-operating with teams of others from that 500 initial population (each Server shard could be limited to 500 people perhaps?) you can band together into clans to start building bases and settlements. It could be that the maximum cap for a settlement clan is limited to, say, 20 people. Then you have the competitive element of defeating other clans to gain more territory and resources.

That kind of game isn't an MMO, and it isn't a single-player game. So it 'fits' with what we've heard so far. And with the settlement building framework in place, it wouldn't take much for Bethesda to tweak it to work like I've outlined above.

If something like actually happens - and obviously its pure guesswork - then we could band together a 'Tamriel Vault' clan, and all work together to build our own settlement in Virginia! Wouldn't that be awesome?

• 627 posts
    May 31, 2018 4:20 AM EDT

Paul said:

If something like actually happens - and obviously its pure guesswork - then we could band together a 'Tamriel Vault' clan, and all work together to build our own settlement in Virginia! Wouldn't that be awesome?

I had a similar idea when I heard about the possibility of online. If there was the option to set up a private server we could create one for the site that we could drop in and out of whenever we wanted to play. The only problem with this is that there will likely be no crossplay between platforms, or at the least Sony will continue to say no and it will just be PC and Xbox players together.

• 203 posts
    May 31, 2018 5:13 AM EDT

Golden Fool said:

Paul said:

I had a similar idea when I heard about the possibility of online. If there was the option to set up a private server we could create one for the site that we could drop in and out of whenever we wanted to play. The only problem with this is that there will likely be no crossplay between platforms, or at the least Sony will continue to say no and it will just be PC and Xbox players together.

As long as no one annoys me as I waste all of our supplies on useless decorations and on my shrine to the immortal dogmeat, I'm good with the Vault clan idea. XD