Forums » General Gaming

Your favorite gaming stories

• 203 posts
    May 28, 2018 8:37 AM EDT

We've all got them and most of us have already shared a whole heap of them on this site, either as builds, rp profiles, fanfic or whatever else you can imagine. So, let's continue that tradition shall we?

But this time let's focus, once more, on the games, the site doesn't usually cover; so while Skyrim and Fallout stories are welcomed, let's see what else we can find alright?

• 203 posts
    May 28, 2018 9:17 AM EDT

I'll go first with one of my more recent playthroughs of stellaris and actually my first official victory of that damned game (I love it just an FYI). I was playing a race of robotics loving humanoids ruled by a series of megacorporations. Later on, after having quelled a nasty uprising from the synthetics, the megacorporations used the panic of the general populace to install a police state.

So I started at the arse end of the galaxy, eventually, I even discovered I started on the planet the furthest removed from the galactic core. Which may not sound like an important factor but turns out that when your starting system is linked to the rest of the galaxy by a single hyperplane, you're fucked if someone plugs up that hyperlane before you do. I was lucky as in my case this was done by a nest of aggressive space whales. I say lucky because aggressive space whales may have the ability to snipe any of my ships if I wasn't careful, but they do not have FTL blockers which would have really fucked me.

Anyway, back to the story:

I had both the worst and best start I can imagine, I was isolated which allowed me to dig in amazingly well but I had nothing to sustain my economy, it was bad to the point that I had to disband my entire fleet and essentially ran without a standing army for a century and a half because I couldn't afford it. That said, because of my confined space and economy I had to rely on trade and diplomacy to survive... A few research agreements later I outran everyone in space on the technological level which allowed me to finally resurrect my economy... In the 150 years that followed an aggressive campaign of staying out of the right fights, letting them murder each other and then finding the right time to strike, made me the ruler of the galaxy. My fighting technique did have a few issues, turns out that when you spend 50 years tugging at the defender of the galaxy to weaken them to get at their hyper-advanced tech, there's no one left but you when the thing they're supposed to defend you from finally shows up... Oups

After another 100 years of wondering if I was gonna have to take on the extragalactic invading swarm, I decided I may as well upgrade my people from cyborgs to fully synthetics which gave my economy the boost it needed for me to go full DEUS VULT on the extragalactic threat. I also liberated synths somewhere along the way, no need oppressing them when we're also synthetic...

This whole thing, after another 2 centuries of dealing with some dissident idiots and cleaning up the remnants of the extragalactic invaders one by one (deathstars aren't fast, ok!), lead me to this screen:

Just as a side note; all of the light blue you see in the background... That was me. And that tiny little dot on the left side... Don't you see it? There at the bottom, that little speck of blue splitting off the big blue mass, that's where I started...

Anyway, do you guys have some more cool stories you would like to share?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 28, 2018 12:49 PM EDT

Whaat? You won a game of Stellaris? I don't know if I just suck at this game, but I always end up losing early, in a heartbreaking war with a Federation of at least 3 other factions. It is annoying, especially when I want to play and roleplay as a race of badass space tribal Octopus slaver warmongers who, in theory, should be a threat to the galaxy.

I think I have a few Total War stories I could share, I'll se if I can dig up some screenshots from my favorite Rome II campaign, with the Parthians. But it's been so long I'm not sure I'll remember all the details... Maybe I'll wait until I'm done with my Tyrion campaign in Warhammer II, that way I can provide a better story. Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more gaming stories!

• 284 posts
    May 28, 2018 4:43 PM EDT

I remember installing Divide et Impera for Rome 2 for the first time. I decided to play as the Suebi as before I only played as the civilized states. Anyway, the campaign was going great and in a short period of time I managed to unite the northern and eastern part of Europe. Then the Romans and the Greeks appeared in a Coalition which I didn't tought possible. I succeded in building a new army in the south as my two stacks were waging a war of attrition in southern Britain. The leader of the defense army was a brand new general and the kings son.

For the next 15 turns I was just reppeling their attacks while sending my agents behind their lines to disrupt supply lines and their reinforcements. I decided to halt my invasion of the British Isles and dug in the two stacks there while taking 40% of each and bring them home to reinforce the southern border. I also build several small ships and sent them to Roman and Greek ports to damage their trade. It is then that the Greek army retreated followed by the Romans. Turns out the Greeks were attacked by the Sassanids who managed to quell the rebbelions in their empire. The Romans where naturally attacked by Chartage. They did not offer or accept peace on the other hand which only meant that they planned to return to the north once more. I had to prepare myself for that.

I wrapped up the invasion of Britain by sending my defense army there. Then I returned all my armies to central Europe while keeping some troops in Britain to stop any rebbelions. Soon my king was killed by a Roman agent. I knew then that the Romans were returning. The Greeks signed a peace treaty with the Sassanids after a lenghty and pointless war as neither side gained much territory but lost most of their money and veteran troops. My general took over the Kingdom of Suebia and prepared the defenses. The Romans came with one full stack. There was only a small problem for them. Before, they were fighting mostly skirmishers and light troops. Now, before them was a well trained and a veteran army, thirtsy for ROman blood. It was a decisive victory for me and the Roman lines fell as I initiated my counter attack. I swarmed over the Alps with three full and one half full stack (which my treasury barely supported). Within 10 turns Rome was mine and the Roman Republic was on the verge of collapse. Several states declared war on Rome and ripped apart it's carcass like vultures. Greece signed peace and became a client state of Suebia.

At that moment I knew it was time. The Kingdom of Suebia was renamed into the Suebian Empire and my general was crowned Emperor. I stopped playing then. Don't know why.

• 203 posts
    May 28, 2018 6:17 PM EDT

Mr. Edd said:

Whaat? You won a game of Stellaris? I don't know if I just suck at this game, but I always end up losing early, in a heartbreaking war with a Federation of at least 3 other factions. It is annoying, especially when I want to play and roleplay as a race of badass space tribal Octopus slaver warmongers who, in theory, should be a threat to the galaxy.

I think I have a few Total War stories I could share, I'll se if I can dig up some screenshots from my favorite Rome II campaign, with the Parthians. But it's been so long I'm not sure I'll remember all the details... Maybe I'll wait until I'm done with my Tyrion campaign in Warhammer II, that way I can provide a better story. Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more gaming stories!

The trick here is to either hit them when they're weak or keep a low profile and maybe join a federation early on and betray them when you can stand on your own. You also want to balance out how aggressive you are; either don't leave any neighbours that could federate or befriend one or two while you murder a third and cycle them around... Sure the latter won't make you very trustworthy or liked but at least your threat value shouldn't skyrocket constantly. The more of a threat you or others pose, the more likely a mass federation becomes. With my Imperium of Alar that was what I ended up against, although at that point with the fallen empire and leviathan tech in my pockets (my ships were literally built out of space dragon scales), none of them stood a chance.

I actually think slavers are a great way to start; all of that extra mineral income helps out real fast. You just have to balance out the warmongering, btw not sure if it was a part of apocalypse or not but if you want to warmonger and build your economy go with barbaric despoilers; plundering wars are great and aren't that nasty to finish; take a few systems and then huddle up and let them tire out. Love using an enemy defence station to block them out entirely.

• 203 posts
    May 28, 2018 6:22 PM EDT

DeltaFox said:

I remember installing Divide et Impera for Rome 2 for the first time. I decided to play as the Suebi as before I only played as the civilized states. Anyway, the campaign was going great and in a short period of time I managed to unite the northern and eastern part of Europe. Then the Romans and the Greeks appeared in a Coalition which I didn't tought possible. I succeded in building a new army in the south as my two stacks were waging a war of attrition in southern Britain. The leader of the defense army was a brand new general and the kings son.

For the next 15 turns I was just reppeling their attacks while sending my agents behind their lines to disrupt supply lines and their reinforcements. I decided to halt my invasion of the British Isles and dug in the two stacks there while taking 40% of each and bring them home to reinforce the southern border. I also build several small ships and sent them to Roman and Greek ports to damage their trade. It is then that the Greek army retreated followed by the Romans. Turns out the Greeks were attacked by the Sassanids who managed to quell the rebbelions in their empire. The Romans where naturally attacked by Chartage. They did not offer or accept peace on the other hand which only meant that they planned to return to the north once more. I had to prepare myself for that.

I wrapped up the invasion of Britain by sending my defense army there. Then I returned all my armies to central Europe while keeping some troops in Britain to stop any rebbelions. Soon my king was killed by a Roman agent. I knew then that the Romans were returning. The Greeks signed a peace treaty with the Sassanids after a lenghty and pointless war as neither side gained much territory but lost most of their money and veteran troops. My general took over the Kingdom of Suebia and prepared the defenses. The Romans came with one full stack. There was only a small problem for them. Before, they were fighting mostly skirmishers and light troops. Now, before them was a well trained and a veteran army, thirtsy for ROman blood. It was a decisive victory for me and the Roman lines fell as I initiated my counter attack. I swarmed over the Alps with three full and one half full stack (which my treasury barely supported). Within 10 turns Rome was mine and the Roman Republic was on the verge of collapse. Several states declared war on Rome and ripped apart it's carcass like vultures. Greece signed peace and became a client state of Suebia.

At that moment I knew it was time. The Kingdom of Suebia was renamed into the Suebian Empire and my general was crowned Emperor. I stopped playing then. Don't know why.

Amazing Story Delta! You know what, you just knew how to quit when you were ahead, your story ended not with the decay of your empire but an epic coronation scene and Rome burning in the background. I call that a success XD

• 33 posts
    May 30, 2018 11:49 PM EDT

This one time I was playing League of Legends as Teemo (h8rs gon h8) and I was doing really badly. It was my first game as him, I had built really bad items, I had died like 14 times and my entire team was being super salty at me (and with reason), saying that they will report me for feeding and all that stuff people do when playing League. So, the enemy team has a huge edge (they all got extra experience out of shanking my ass) and they start assaulting our base; my entire team has to stay there, trying to stop them from breaking our stuff. Of course, they are more buffed than Lance Armstrong during steroid day at the croissanterie, so it's not working.

And it occurs to me.

I walk out in the middle of it, and head to the only outer tower we still have, where some of our minions are fighting theirs. They notice me, but they don't really care because what's by baby ass gonna do, win the game? Har har har and such. And then, i kill that wave of minions. I advance, my minions protecting me from tower fire; I am cutting through their defenses like the anime pope is trying to make up for how badly I had been losing by granting me the stronk. I get to their base; they realize; they start trying to teleport back, but my team just kinda holds them in place. Some of them suicide to try and get back to the base, but by this point, their nexus is explodo. They all lose their collective bongos, my team can't believe this newbie runt who had been losing them the game had just singlehandedly taken it back, I posed menacingly at my screen for a solid 10 minutes Jojo style while telling my teammates "SO ARE YOU GONNA REPORT ME YET? HUH? HUH?" and I swear that is the moment that got me hooked in that game for good.

• 203 posts
    May 31, 2018 12:54 AM EDT

tirrene said:

This one time I was playing League of Legends as Teemo (h8rs gon h8) and I was doing really badly. It was my first game as him, I had built really bad items, I had died like 14 times and my entire team was being super salty at me (and with reason), saying that they will report me for feeding and all that stuff people do when playing League. So, the enemy team has a huge edge (they all got extra experience out of shanking my ass) and they start assaulting our base; my entire team has to stay there, trying to stop them from breaking our stuff. Of course, they are more buffed than Lance Armstrong during steroid day at the croissanterie, so it's not working.

And it occurs to me.

I walk out in the middle of it, and head to the only outer tower we still have, where some of our minions are fighting theirs. They notice me, but they don't really care because what's by baby ass gonna do, win the game? Har har har and such. And then, i kill that wave of minions. I advance, my minions protecting me from tower fire; I am cutting through their defenses like the anime pope is trying to make up for how badly I had been losing by granting me the stronk. I get to their base; they realize; they start trying to teleport back, but my team just kinda holds them in place. Some of them suicide to try and get back to the base, but by this point, their nexus is explodo. They all lose their collective bongos, my team can't believe this newbie runt who had been losing them the game had just singlehandedly taken it back, I posed menacingly at my screen for a solid 10 minutes Jojo style while telling my teammates "SO ARE YOU GONNA REPORT ME YET? HUH? HUH?" and I swear that is the moment that got me hooked in that game for good.

Nice one Tirrene!

As someone who in my short time of playing games like LoL and Smite, was never anything better than a complete and utter noob at both, that sounds like a great accomplishment to me. Plus it's always great to show toxic teammates what's what, even if you arguably did deserve the venom. Anyway; Go, underdog!

That is an absolutely amazing story.