Forums » Elder Scrolls

POLL Which joinable faction?

• 773 posts
    May 1, 2018 3:36 AM EDT

It's a new month and time for a new poll!

This month we are talking about joinable factions - the 'joinable' part is important. There are loads of interesting factions that you cannot join, even some that you can do quests for. But this poll is about those you can 'join'...

To add a bit of interest, I've included joinable factions from Fallout 4, ESO and Oblivion as well as Skyrim. Again, I know there are other factions in ESIII: Morrowind, but I had to stop somewhere! Also I didn't include the Psjiic Order, even though I understand that we will be able to join them in the upcoming ESO Chapter, Summerset.

So with those riders out of the way, let's get voting and commenting on our favourite factions. And remember you can only pick ONE, so pick wisely ;) 

As always I look forward to your comments

• 1467 posts
    May 1, 2018 4:36 AM EDT

I think the Dark Brotherhood was probably the best just because they've been consistently good. It might be a tough pick between DB and TG in Oblivion, but Skyrim had mostly weak factions other than the DB, so yeah they get my vote for being good in two games. 

• 67 posts
    May 1, 2018 6:26 AM EDT

Thieves guild for me I quite liked thier questline in ES IV & V. Dawnguard and Volkihar clan are two that I really enjoyed a lot in Skyrim aswell, but if were just sticking to the poll it'd be the TG. Fallout 4 is a hrd one for me to place cause none of the factions are morally grey. The BOS are bunch of racist, prejudiced bigots and the Rail Road would liberate a toaster if they thought it capable of thought. And The Minute Men.... No coment there lol.

• 277 posts
    May 1, 2018 11:20 AM EDT
    Railroad for me, bunch of badass rebel spies, all for liberating synths and toasters alike without discrimination! They may be a bit extremists but they do seem like a group of open minded folks who just want what's best for the Commonwealth. And I do enjoy how they're portrayed as the underdogs in the conflict against the Institute. Plus, with the exception of Curie, Desdemona is the sexiest lady in the game.

As far as Skyrim is concerned, the Thieves Guild are my favorite, hands down. They've got some really cool infiltration missions, a great story and that delicious armor!
    • 11 posts
    May 2, 2018 4:07 PM EDT

For me, the Blades have the most intriguing back story. I really need to read more of Akavir. As "home" of dragons, did they have Dominon over the Akaviri during  the time of the Dragon Priests? How far back did the records that Esbern has kept, or lost? Are the two (well three) Skyrim blades legitimate heirs to those first Dragonguard, rather than disenfranchised imperial spies looking for a cause?

My favourite faction to play, I don't know. I haven't played the TG yet, in either games. The longer the quest line the better, so Dawnguard and DB are both pretty good. I enjoy the factions much more in Morrowind, they just all have The Attitude.

• 197 posts
    May 2, 2018 7:41 PM EDT
    I had to decide between the Thieves Guild and the Companions, and the Companions just edged it out. I didn’t care much for Skyrim’s Thieves Guild, but man, on Oblivion? Yes, my favorite. I could and did play that questline on repeat.
    • 14 posts
    May 3, 2018 9:39 PM EDT
    Thieves Guild in both Oblivion and Skyrim were fantastic. The Oblivion guild sends you on grandiose stealth missions and has an awesome ending, whereas Skyrim excels in making you care about its characters. I think a lot of people don't care for Skyrim's TG because its plot doesn't have big story implications, but the questline is fantastic nonetheless and has some of the best quest rewards of any Skyrim faction.
    • 14 posts
    May 3, 2018 9:39 PM EDT
    Thieves Guild in both Oblivion and Skyrim were fantastic. The Oblivion guild sends you on grandiose stealth missions and has an awesome ending, whereas Skyrim excels in making you care about its characters. I think a lot of people don't care for Skyrim's TG because its plot doesn't have big story implications, but the questline is fantastic nonetheless and has some of the best quest rewards of any Skyrim faction.
    • 197 posts
    May 3, 2018 10:56 PM EDT

Xenla said: Thieves Guild in both Oblivion and Skyrim were fantastic. The Oblivion guild sends you on grandiose stealth missions and has an awesome ending, whereas Skyrim excels in making you care about its characters. I think a lot of people don't care for Skyrim's TG because its plot doesn't have big story implications, but the questline is fantastic nonetheless and has some of the best quest rewards of any Skyrim faction.

For me, it’s Mercer and Maven. I hate them, and not in a “villains I love to hate” way. I have a save game I load if I want to kill an NPC who’s irritating me, and I do kill those two every so often. The initial playthough was tolerable, but repeated playthroughs are just nauseating. And I want the Skeleton Key, so... But yeah, Oblivion, wow. that whole thing in the white-gold tower is amazing every time. And I love the Gray Fox. Seeing him reunite with his wife is adorable, every time. 

• 275 posts
    May 4, 2018 1:00 AM EDT

In terms of fun, Dark Brotherhood 100% without a doubt. In terms of interesting, Ebonheart Pact. I love the lore of the Pact.

• 2 posts
    May 4, 2018 1:11 PM EDT

I have always greatly enjoyed the Dark Brotherhood because assassinating people from afar by using one poisoned arrow makes my day enjoyable. Plus, I just love killing people and never getting caught.

• 284 posts
    May 5, 2018 5:18 PM EDT

When it comes to ESO, I can't give you a straight answer. All three factions are great. I loved the Legion in Skyrim. But number one for me is... Thieves Guild in Skyrim. Brynjolf is just amazing, the guild home will change as you do more jobs and you actually have to earn your Guildmaster title.

• 2 posts
    May 10, 2018 6:23 PM EDT

I loved the Thieves Guild, too. Honestly though, all guilds are amazing in their own rights. :)

• 558 posts
    May 10, 2018 9:40 PM EDT

Mages Guild. The magical aspect makes it pretty interesting. Necromancers, Augur of Dunlain, Sheogorath, etc.

Is the Fighters Guild just bad throughout TES? I've never completed any Fighters Guild questline, but I've never felt compelled to complete their generic quests. In Oblivion I'd rather do the Arena and in ESO it feel like a chore.

• 224 posts
    May 16, 2018 3:36 AM EDT

For me is Thieves Guild I love all plottery and the main quests, on all TES games actually, but I will talk about Skyrim game, Thieves guild was really cool I enjoyed it a lot... f**cking Mercer Frei... , poor Gallus, also Karliah is a very interesting character, in terms of lore she seems have a really deep history by some references, as in the book The Nightgales Vol 2, she is daughter of queen Barenziah. I really enjoy the "mini game" of thievery and all the perk trees, is like have Theif game inside a TES game, really fun, oh and with mods... never-ending fun forever...
    By the way nice poll, would you consider maybe in future make a poll about "Interesting non- joinable faction", might be interesting aswell to know about people choose.

• 694 posts
    May 23, 2018 5:53 PM EDT

This is a tough one for me. I spent a lot of time thinking about it, and for me it's between the Ebonheart Pact and the Companions. At first I sort of felt like the Pact was a bit disjointed, but that became part of the appeal for me. It felt like a struggling alliance in disarray and all of the small quests leading up to Jorunn and the final assault made it feel like you were uniting the Pact as you progress through. It's a bit scrappy and ragtag. I like that you have a combination of elves, humans AND beastfolk--the other two alliances can't boast that. While it felt a little slow to start sometimes, I'd much rather feel that way than feel it fizzle out toward the end.

Companions was just plain fun for me. The comraderie feels like it runs deeper to me than in other factions in Skyrim (save for perhaps the Stormcloaks), Kodlak's death always hits home, avenging him always feels important, I just enjoy it every time. :)

• 136 posts
    May 23, 2018 7:35 PM EDT
    ^^ Edana just moved up a few notches! :) :)
  • September 7, 2018 7:18 AM EDT
    Choosing just one faction is extremely difficult for me, I liked pretty much every faction except for the blades, killing old Parthy was one of the worst decisions I have made :( but in the end it probably comes down to which faction made me cry the most which was probably Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild, I had so much fun doing both of them but once Astrid died I cried for like a straight two hours, I also regret killing Cicero, he was like the one dude who could meet my level of wacky.
    • 82 posts
    September 7, 2018 7:24 AM EDT

CaptainKahjiitKid said: Choosing just one faction is extremely difficult for me, I liked pretty much every faction except for the blades, killing old Parthy was one of the worst decisions I have made :( but in the end it probably comes down to which faction made me cry the most which was probably Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild, I had so much fun doing both of them but once Astrid died I cried for like a straight two hours, I also regret killing Cicero, he was like the one dude who could meet my level of wacky.

Bro, you cried for Astrid? That biatch almost doomed the entire Brotherhood.

• September 7, 2018 7:30 AM EDT
    Loopdiss said:

CaptainKahjiitKid said: Choosing just one faction is extremely difficult for me, I liked pretty much every faction except for the blades, killing old Parthy was one of the worst decisions I have made :( but in the end it probably comes down to which faction made me cry the most which was probably Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild, I had so much fun doing both of them but once Astrid died I cried for like a straight two hours, I also regret killing Cicero, he was like the one dude who could meet my level of wacky.

Bro, you cried for Astrid? That biatch almost doomed the entire Brotherhood.

I completely understand where you’re coming from, but I still loved everyone of my brothers and sisters, but if I’m being honest I was probably crying for everyone else
    This post was edited by CaptainKahjiitKid at September 7, 2018 10:45 AM EDT
    • 12 posts
    September 7, 2018 10:15 AM EDT
    The dark brotherhood seemed to be the most well crafted storyline in Skyrim - you have to kill quite the variety of people in very different situations. However, the one faction that I always seem to do is the mages college - my character just doesn't seem to be living up to potential if that blue bar isn't being used. That said the questline for the college only requires you cast spells and use a staff a few times, and is a bit disappointing in general.
  • September 7, 2018 10:50 AM EDT
    To follow up on my favorite faction I’ll put my least favorite, I know I said Blades but also I need to say probably the Empire, not that I have anything against the Empire it’s the fact that they are puppets of the Thalmor, because they might have probably the most useful racial starter ability, and are of all the races the most magically talented, but that doesn’t make them a “superior race.”