Forums » Elder Scrolls

The viability of playing as the Mane

• 278 posts
    April 12, 2018 7:38 PM EDT

So, for anyone who doesn't know, the Mane is Elsweyr's religious leader, as the Dalai Lama is to the Buddhists (correct me if I'm wrong there) or like the Pope to the Roman Catholics (Thanks, Chris for correcting me) and although he doesn't command a large amount of power, he does command great respect. As an apparent lore master of the Khajiit, I know my fair share of stuff about the Mane - that he can't move due to his massive mane, which he gets from his Warrior Guard, and that he is considered by some as the Tower of the Khajiit, if you're into that metalore stuff - but I'm at a loss for why he might appear in Skyrim. 

My story, Vasa Qo Kha'jay, that I've been wanting to start for a while recently underwent a speedbump - I've realised that it would be way cooler to make Dar'jari some cultural hero of the Khajiit, and the Mane jumped right into my head. But! Why would he be the player in Skyrim? Dar'jari's not the Dragonborn, he's a thief. Why would he be the Mane, and how would I represent that? Despite my knowledge of the lore, this has had me stumped for a while. As Phil suggested helpfully, perhaps he's there to ruin the Dominion? I've always had this idea the Mane communicated with the Moons, and with that it makes sense that they tell him the Dominion is a bad idea. So that could be one reason. Do you guys have any other ideas?

Just as a side note, I also thought about Dar'jari being Ya'Tirrje's ancestor. The Gold Cat of Elsweyr.

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at April 12, 2018 8:07 PM EDT
    • 1441 posts
    April 12, 2018 8:05 PM EDT
    Well, the Pope is really only the religious leader of Roman Catholics
    • 278 posts
    April 12, 2018 8:06 PM EDT

Thank you for correcting me :D Do you have any ideas, though? 

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at April 12, 2018 8:06 PM EDT
    • 1441 posts
    April 12, 2018 8:08 PM EDT
    No prob. There was a build by Elysium that was moved to the Forge that played as the Mane. Your idea sounds interesting, even though most sources say he's so weighed down by the furs of his fellows he can barely move
    • 278 posts
    April 12, 2018 8:09 PM EDT

I've been thinking about that; you see, the Mane was assassinated. Maybe he realises it was foolish to be unable to move? Also, we need to realise that he spends most of his time in Skyrim; he doesn't realise he's the Mane, yet. So maybe he doesn't have that pitfall?

• 261 posts
    April 12, 2018 8:42 PM EDT

Chris said: No prob. There was a build by Elysium that was moved to the Forge that played as the Mane. Your idea sounds interesting, even though most sources say he's so weighed down by the furs of his fellows he can barely move

Also, ESO pretty much confirms this no longer happens. The Mane pops up, and he can move fine.

• 278 posts
    April 12, 2018 8:52 PM EDT

Tenebrous said:

Chris said: No prob. There was a build by Elysium that was moved to the Forge that played as the Mane. Your idea sounds interesting, even though most sources say he's so weighed down by the furs of his fellows he can barely move

Also, ESO pretty much confirms this no longer happens. The Mane pops up, and he can move fine.

Yeah, you meet R'id-T'har Ri'datta, don't you? Along with Rahjin and someone else. Haven't got there yet.

• 261 posts
    April 12, 2018 8:55 PM EDT
    Not sure about R'id, and Rahjin was never a Mane. But Akkhuz-ri pops up a few times, and is the Mane.
    • 278 posts
    April 12, 2018 9:03 PM EDT

You meet R'id's ghost, and I mean that you meet Rahjin during ESO, not that he was a Mane. I think I'm just going to make him a thief, if I'm being honest. You have to choose Akkhuz-Ri's successor in ESO, right? I chose Shazah.