Forums » General Gaming

I Just Started The Baldur's Gate Games

• 275 posts
    April 11, 2018 9:14 PM EDT

I must say, I'm enjoying it so far. I started a few days ago as an Elven Kensei with a quarterstaff. I currently have Khalid, what'sherface Druid (Khalid's wife), Neera, and Iomen. I enjoy the dialogue and story so far and I like the feeling of just trying to find your way in the world that's going on right now. I don't know what my end objective is or how anything I'm doing will help that, I'm just doing things as they come along, and I have the whole world in front of me. This is the way an RPG should be, I haven't felt this sense of freedom in an RPG in... ever, really. Elder Scrolls never gave me this feeling, nor Mass Effect and Dragon Age or any RPG before those.

Has anyone else tried these games? If so, what's your experience with it? Please try to avoid spoilers as I am still new to the game.

• 649 posts
    April 12, 2018 6:01 AM EDT

Baldur´s Gate. Ah, so many memories. It was basicaly the game that introduced me to proper true RPGs nearly two decades ago. I remember that I got my hands on the game(s) sometime around....2000-2001, back then it came in five CDs. FIVE! And you had to switch CDs when you travelled to a certain location - like Candlekeep was CD1 and Open Arms Inn was CD3 and Naskhel was CD2. It´s so hilarious when I think about that now. And yeah, me and my friends copied the CDs so that we could play the Multiplayer and in that time, when you wanted to play Multiplayer, you had to physically connect the computers. So every weekend me and my pals grabbed our PCs - imagine those large boxes along with old school monitors - and dragged them on a cart to our friend who´s parents were architects, so they had this huge house, and his room was just massive! And we played through the whole weekend. Baldur´s Gate and Icewind Dale later.

Ah, good memories those. So yeah, BG is like one of the most nostalgic and best games up to this date. BG1 was good, better for multiplayer, but BG2 had much better story and it was where it introduced the subclasses that are part of the Enhanced Edition now.

I´m very glad someone else is enjoying the game, because not many people these days can enjoy such old games.

Also, BG is basicaly the reason why I am enjoying Pillars of Eternity so much and looking forward to PoE2 like a little kid.

Also, if you´re enjoying BG you might want to give Planescape: Torment a look too, because that game is just...mindblowing.

This post was edited by Karver the Lorc at April 12, 2018 6:01 AM EDT
    • 14 posts
    April 15, 2018 11:52 AM EDT

I absolutely love the Baldur's Gate games. I remember playing them as a kid and I just got the Enhanced Edition a few months ago. I think what really makes the Baldur's Gate games unique is that they make me care about the characters and really just put you right into the game world.

The enhanced editions are fantastic. They fix almost all of those persistent bugs (ask me how many times something unfixably broke in the original), added some new and interesting characters, and the expansion Siege of Dragonspear is, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic.

Don't be afraid to explore! There's surprisingly little filler content in such a huge open-world game, and that means there's an exciting adventure or potential companion around every corner!

• 14 posts
    April 15, 2018 11:52 AM EDT

I absolutely love the Baldur's Gate games. I remember playing them as a kid and I just got the Enhanced Edition a few months ago. I think what really makes the Baldur's Gate games unique is that they make me care about the characters and really just put you right into the game world.

The enhanced editions are fantastic. They fix almost all of those persistent bugs (ask me how many times something unfixably broke in the original), added some new and interesting characters, and the expansion Siege of Dragonspear is, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic.

Don't be afraid to explore! There's surprisingly little filler content in such a huge open-world game, and that means there's an exciting adventure or potential companion around every corner!

• 275 posts
    April 15, 2018 12:14 PM EDT

Xenla said:

Hehe... How many times did something unfixably break in the original? :p

• 14 posts
    April 15, 2018 2:05 PM EDT

Ebonslayer said:

Xenla said:

Hehe... How many times did something unfixably break in the original? :p

Short answer: TOO MANY

Which was unfortunate, because you might lose a quest item, it might crash in the same place, or you might not be able to leave a location, etc.

I've only had a couple of issues with BG:EE, namely one crash and some odd AI with NPCs, but nothing unfixable.