Forums » Introduce Yourself

Came to say hello!

• 10 posts
    March 31, 2018 12:01 PM EDT

Forums such as this have never really been my thing, but there are few exceptions and after years of lurking around and following the action from the sidelines, I’ve decided that this place could be one of them. :D So far I’m liking it a lot, and I might as well introduce myself before I forget to do so. I'm not a native English speaker, so if I say something strange it's probably because of that. Probably. Or because I’m just strange. One of the two. ^-^

So, hiya! Mhysa here. I’m a fantasy nerd and I write stuff, am addicted to Diet Coke, tend to hoard books, and I just turned 21 today (winkwinknudgenudge, I’m subtle like this). Mhysa Ren is a name I stole from a character I created because I'm far too paranoid to mention my real name anywhere :'D I’m an aspiring author and spend most of my free-time writing/planning stories and building my own fantasy worlds.

Fantasy as a genre has been my thing ever since I watched Lord of the Rings around the age of eleven, and fantasy RPGs came into the picture few years later, thanks to Dragon Age: Origins. It’s still my most beloved game series because it introduced me to the wonderful world of RPGs and video games, and I also learned English whilst playing it. ^D^ And I mean that literally: I sat in front of the TV with a dictionary and translated everything word by word; my first PT neared 300 hours because of this. Ah, fun times.

Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls game I played and it made me fall in love with Tamriel, the roleplaying possibilities it provided, and all the lore of that world, although I can’t seem to remember any of it... :P I also had Oblivion, but I don't think I ever finished it because my PS3 kinda sorta blew up before I could and that was that. My go-to play style is always sneaky archer because sneaking about unseen and brutally murdering people from a distance is COOL.

TL;DR: I write stuff, learned English by playing video games, my native language has been said to be one of the hardest in the world to learn (and I can attest to that, it’s ridiculous at times), and I can spend hours watching GIFs of dogs failing to catch things that are thrown to them because that’s funny.

Nice to meet y’all. ^w^

• 284 posts
    March 31, 2018 12:49 PM EDT

Hey Mhysa! Great to meet you. We all came to the fantasy genre through Lord of the Rings. Most of us, anyway.What is your native language. Mine's Croatian. Standard south - eastern European.

• 10 posts
    March 31, 2018 12:59 PM EDT

DeltaFox said:

Hey Mhysa! Great to meet you. We all came to the fantasy genre through Lord of the Rings. Most of us, anyway.What is your native language. Mine's Croatian. Standard south - eastern European.

Yeah, I'm guessing that's true. :D I'm from Finland, so my native language is Finnish.

• 197 posts
    March 31, 2018 2:10 PM EDT

Happy birthday!!! Fellow fantasy nerd, nice to meet you! I think we might be polar opposites, because I'm addicted to Diet Pepsi, and can watch hours of cat gifs and videos. Are you going to post your writing and stuff here? What sort of worlds are you building?

• 1595 posts
    March 31, 2018 4:11 PM EDT

Happy Birthday! Did you get anything nice? :D Welcome to the site, Mhysa, it's nice to meet you. Remembering lore is as hard as understanding it, so you are most  certainly not alone there :D Luckilly, we have good Hosts and a well-stocked library to aid us when we forget. Also, there are one or two stealth archers here too, company should be fairly easy to find ;)

• 10 posts
    March 31, 2018 5:46 PM EDT

ilanisilver said:

Happy birthday!!! Fellow fantasy nerd, nice to meet you! I think we might be polar opposites, because I'm addicted to Diet Pepsi, and can watch hours of cat gifs and videos. Are you going to post your writing and stuff here? What sort of worlds are you building?

Thank you! Perhaps we're not total opposites - cats are definitely on par with dogs. But Diet Pepsi? Hmm... That one might be a deal breaker. (;

I don't know about posting my writing, mostly because vast majority of it is in Finnish and I doubt many here would understand any of it. :D But I do have some in English, too, and I might post some of it here one day, once I gain enough confidence to do so and actually finish those stories, at least on an outlining level. Posting unfinished products is something I hate to do, in case I stop writing them. I hate to promise something and not deliver, so I'm not promising anything. I'm just saying maybe one day. :D

I have a couple of fantasy worlds I'm working on at the moment (and one sci-fi universe, although that one's on the backburner, sci-fi isn't really my thing), although I've searching for ways to connect them and make them one larger universe instead of completely separate worlds. It'd make my job easier if nothing else. :D They're very much high fantasy - gods, elves, dragons, dwarves, big evil baddies, epic quests, that sort of thing -, but depending on the individual stories the peoples, cultures, etc. potrayed are vastly different. One of them is inspired by Greek mythology, another by ancient Egyptian legends and mythos, and so on. I draw heavily from different mythologies and folktales of the real world, but try to make them my own so I won't just be copy-pasteing everything from Wikipedia. :D So far it's been fun, though worldbuilding is a whole lot of work.

Okay, I think I'll stop here so I won't end up explaining all of the details because that'd just take forever, but rest assured, there's a lot to these places. :D

• 10 posts
    March 31, 2018 5:53 PM EDT

Paws said:

Happy Birthday! Did you get anything nice? :D Welcome to the site, Mhysa, it's nice to meet you. Remembering lore is as hard as understanding it, so you are most  certainly not alone there :D Luckilly, we have good Hosts and a well-stocked library to aid us when we forget. Also, there are one or two stealth archers here too, company should be fairly easy to find ;)

Thank you, and yes, I did: a couple of books, a movie, and a new jacket. What else does a girl need? :D Yeah, understanding the lore is another topic entirely. I've read so many fascinating discussions here and elsewhere, and often I'm just staring at the text like, "okay, I don't think I really get any of this but it sounds cool as hell." :D

• 203 posts
    March 31, 2018 6:10 PM EDT

Mhysa Ren said:

Paws said:

Thank you, and yes, I did: a couple of books, a movie, and a new jacket. What else does a girl need? :D Yeah, understanding the lore is another topic entirely. I've read so many fascinating discussions here and elsewhere, and often I'm just staring at the text like, "okay, I don't think I really get any of this but it sounds cool as hell." :D

I'm pretty sure that's how all "loremasters" start, I sure did. One afternoon with the topic of your choice in the Imperial Library is usually how you lose yourself to it :P

Anyway, it's cool to see someone else who's familiar with worldbuilding. If you want to chat about that stuff don't hesitate to shoot me a pm or to join in on one of my streams; it's usually a topic that comes up while I run through Dwemer dungeons or whatnot.

Oh, and cool to meet someone else my age. Hope you had a nice birthday.

This post was edited by Teineeva at March 31, 2018 6:10 PM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    April 1, 2018 1:24 AM EDT

I'll just pretend that I saw no mention of Diet Coke and welcome you fondly :D You know, it does kinda say a lot for Dragon Age: Origins that the 300-hour mark you talked about makes just as much sense if your just playing the game, let alone learning a language while doing it. Game's incredibly long, but incredible all the same, still have fond memories of it that put it above just about any other game I've played (the exceptions probably being Skyrim, The Witcher 3 and Neverwinter Nights). 

Your worldbuilding stuff sounds really, really interesting, I've given it a try or two in my time but can never really get stuck into it. Not quite creative enough to make up my own stuff it turns out, which is a damn shame because just the idea of writing my own universe has always been really cool. Anyway, that's enough rambling from me, welcome Mhysa :D

• 585 posts
    April 1, 2018 5:00 AM EDT

Happy birthday for yesterday! Looks like you're a perfect fit for the site, Mhysa, and I think learning English from a game is enough of a testament to your commitment to convince me that you're gonna be around for a while, I mean bloody hell that sounds hard, especially with all the fantasy jargon in there as well.

Like Deebs said, your worldbuilding sounds awesome, I keep trying to dive into it but it's too damn difficult for me, there's just so much to plan that you wouldn't even think of. I think we had a worldbuilding thread running a few months ago but don't hesitate to start your own, I'd definitely be interested in reading.

• 10 posts
    April 1, 2018 1:00 PM EDT

Teineeva said:

I'm pretty sure that's how all "loremasters" start, I sure did. One afternoon with the topic of your choice in the Imperial Library is usually how you lose yourself to it :P

Anyway, it's cool to see someone else who's familiar with worldbuilding. If you want to chat about that stuff don't hesitate to shoot me a pm or to join in on one of my streams; it's usually a topic that comes up while I run through Dwemer dungeons or whatnot.

Oh, and cool to meet someone else my age. Hope you had a nice birthday.

It's exactly like reading TVTropes - you click one link, and you've lost a day or two. :D Or ten. And thanks for the offer, I'll be sure to check out your streams!

Dragonborn1921 said:

I'll just pretend that I saw no mention of Diet Coke and welcome you fondly :D You know, it does kinda say a lot for Dragon Age: Origins that the 300-hour mark you talked about makes just as much sense if your just playing the game, let alone learning a language while doing it. Game's incredibly long, but incredible all the same, still have fond memories of it that put it above just about any other game I've played (the exceptions probably being Skyrim, The Witcher 3 and Neverwinter Nights).

Your worldbuilding stuff sounds really, really interesting, I've given it a try or two in my time but can never really get stuck into it. Not quite creative enough to make up my own stuff it turns out, which is a damn shame because just the idea of writing my own universe has always been really cool. Anyway, that's enough rambling from me, welcome Mhysa :D

I'll take just the welcome then, gladly. :D It does say a lot, definitely, I've had quite a few playthroughs after that first one and all of them are nearing 100-hour mark or more. There's just so much content in that game - I've had it for like eight years and I still find stuff I haven't seen before! It's crazy.

It's taxing sometimes (especially when you write yourself into a corner and have conflicting facts, it's the absolute worst :D), but worth the effort. Writing and building your own universe is cool; in a way, you get to play god and that's always fun. ;)

Zonnonn said:

Happy birthday for yesterday! Looks like you're a perfect fit for the site, Mhysa, and I think learning English from a game is enough of a testament to your commitment to convince me that you're gonna be around for a while, I mean bloody hell that sounds hard, especially with all the fantasy jargon in there as well.

Like Deebs said, your worldbuilding sounds awesome, I keep trying to dive into it but it's too damn difficult for me, there's just so much to plan that you wouldn't even think of. I think we had a worldbuilding thread running a few months ago but don't hesitate to start your own, I'd definitely be interested in reading.

Thank you! And yes, it was certainly difficult, I can tell you that. :D I've also taken lessons, of course (it's mandatory in Finnish schools, in fact), but my fundamental skills came from games. The learning process was fun, at least. 

Thankfully there's the internet to help with all the things I'd otherwise forget to think about (like what happens to trash/sewage, or something equally "important"), I like to figure it all out even if I never end up including those facts in my stories. :D