Forums » Fallout

Let's get serious about settlement building

• 773 posts
    March 17, 2018 5:58 AM EDT

Like many (most?) people, I've dabbled in settlement building in Fallout 4. Many times I've set up a nice settlement in Sanctuary, maybe gone as far as setting up some supply lines to nearby places that I've unlocked after being sent there by Preston..

And then I get caught up in all sorts of other quests, factions, roleplaying and so on. And my poor old settlements end up limping along - occasionally getting attacked and calling for my help - but never really reaching their potential.

So, I thought it was about time I got serious about settlement building!

What I'm looking to do is to create a new character who will focus, as much as is possible, entirely on settlement building. So I'm interested in what SPECIAL options people suggest - presumably at least 6 in CHR for example? Decent INT for the upgrades? Maybe 6 in STR for Strong Back?

And because all those resources and settlements arent going to just randomly land in my workshop - I'm going to have to take them by force - then I'm going to need to be at least proficient in some form of combat...

So what kind of character would people make for an Architect / Builder / Landlord type build?

Also, itms mybirthday in couple of days and I just saw my wife take delivery of a suspciously XBoxOne-shaped package from Amazon. So pretty soon I'm going to be able to get properly into mods (With mods that don't just re-arrange existing assets!!) so suggestions about mods would be good

If this thread interests others (feel free to say so) then I'd be happy to log my explorations in a bit more detail.

But, for now, all suggestions welcome...

• 215 posts
    March 17, 2018 6:51 PM EDT

What about that farming build I did.  That actually focuses on the settlements.

• 277 posts
    March 18, 2018 5:35 AM EDT

Once upon a time, three months ago, I made a raider maniac who wants to turn the Commonwealth into Wonderland. https://tamrielvault.com/groups/topic/view/group_id/14/topic_id/9552

This post was edited by Noodles at March 18, 2018 5:35 AM EDT
    • 773 posts
    March 18, 2018 9:58 AM EDT

Thanks guys

The Animaniac is one that, to my regret, slipped under my radar. Loved reading the build, albeit it's not really for me right now. Cool concept though.

I'd forgotten the Farmers Wife, and that is more like what I'm thinking. I like the idea of playing someone who really isn't going to be able to hold their own out in the Commonwealth with a LOT of help - whether that be companions, pets, drugs, alcohol, magazine perks (or some combination)

I'm thinking of playing this one VERY methodically. Exploring literally every nook and cranny - not just for the building resources (although it will certainly help) but also for the stories, the lore, the little pieces of the past that you can find everywhere (inspiration from Oxhorn's videos on YouTube). So rather than charging off to Diamond City, I'll be gradually and tentatively stepping out from Sanctuary - just a little more each day that goes by...

• 277 posts
    March 18, 2018 10:21 AM EDT

Paul said:

Thanks guys

The Animaniac is one that, to my regret, slipped under my radar. Loved reading the build, albeit it's not really for me right now. Cool concept though.

I'd forgotten the Farmers Wife, and that is more like what I'm thinking. I like the idea of playing someone who really isn't going to be able to hold their own out in the Commonwealth with a LOT of help - whether that be companions, pets, drugs, alcohol, magazine perks (or some combination)

I'm thinking of playing this one VERY methodically. Exploring literally every nook and cranny - not just for the building resources (although it will certainly help) but also for the stories, the lore, the little pieces of the past that you can find everywhere (inspiration from Oxhorn's videos on YouTube). So rather than charging off to Diamond City, I'll be gradually and tentatively stepping out from Sanctuary - just a little more each day that goes by...

That's sounds like my first playthrough in every rpg. You're gonna' have a lot of fun!

• 295 posts
    March 18, 2018 11:53 AM EDT

HA! 

Well, I am currently playing Fallout 4 on PS4 since my computer died and I decided that I might as well earn the trophies for it now that I've taken a break from creating builds, so I've created a character that is very much catered to experiencing everything the game has to offer, including settlements. 

What has been useful for me; local leader, Cap collector, fortune finder, scrounger, Scrapper, strong back, robots, and the perks that give you discounts, Tales of a Junkyard vendor, stuff like that. I've bascially been perking my crafting skills so i can build everything. 

Right now, it's been about getting settlments and then linking them, so they can share resources and seeing to their basic needs. When I'm done earning achievements, I'll add settlement building mods and then go nuts creating unique settlements that reflect each community. 

I always like rifles and shotguns. For me, they pack more punch and if you have the crafting mods to back it up, an assault rifle will serve you well. Also great to score is a radium rifle, not only for the radiation damage, but for the sheer ease in locating .45 calibre later in the game. I'm swimming in it and extra ammo always makes great currency that weighs nothing. My favorite early game weapons for this kind of playthrough is Justice and Overseer's guardian, though I don't use them anymore. 

You're going to have fun, I'm totally having a blast on this playthrough. 

• 773 posts
    March 18, 2018 5:11 PM EDT

The Long-Chapper said:

I always like rifles and shotguns. For me, they pack more punch and if you have the crafting mods to back it up, an assault rifle will serve you well. Also great to score is a radium rifle, not only for the radiation damage, but for the sheer ease in locating .45 calibre later in the game. I'm swimming in it and extra ammo always makes great currency that weighs nothing. My favorite early game weapons for this kind of playthrough is Justice and Overseer's guardian, though I don't use them anymore. 

I've been messing about with it today and trying unarmed - picked up a boxing glove early and modified it to add the puncturing effect. I think I'm gonna switch over to rifles because I'm getting ripped to shreds by long distance enemies and (even more so) turrets. 

I like the idea of picking up whatever weapons I find in the normal course of events, so I'm struggling to think of a good RP reason why I'd be in a location to get weapons like Overseers Guardian all that early. So I think I'm likely to just mod up a shotgun or pipe rifle at the very early levels...

But good to see you're doing this Liss, feel free to use this thread to add any tips or insights

• 295 posts
    March 18, 2018 5:46 PM EDT

Paul said:

The Long-Chapper said:

I've been messing about with it today and trying unarmed - picked up a boxing glove early and modified it to add the puncturing effect. I think I'm gonna switch over to rifles because I'm getting ripped to shreds by long distance enemies and (even more so) turrets. 

I like the idea of picking up whatever weapons I find in the normal course of events, so I'm struggling to think of a good RP reason why I'd be in a location to get weapons like Overseers Guardian all that early. So I think I'm likely to just mod up a shotgun or pipe rifle at the very early levels...

But good to see you're doing this Liss, feel free to use this thread to add any tips or insights

Well, lol, considering my last three playthroughs were heavy rp and used weapons and only weapons that I found at level 1 (double-barrel shotgun and the machete), I think I was due for a nice "screw rp and go buy yourself a nice gun, Lis" moment. :D

• 215 posts
    March 19, 2018 6:20 PM EDT

Paul said:

The Long-Chapper said:

Unarmed you need to stack the points to get Blitz right away.  That fixes all the problems.  LOL

• 773 posts
    March 21, 2018 6:20 PM EDT

Ragin Cajun said:

Unarmed you need to stack the points to get Blitz right away.  That fixes all the problems.  LOL

In the end I decided to go with shotguns, because I just couldn't see a way to get to Agility 9 for Blitz without crippling my character on other things that I felt I needed.

I've gone with 

STR 4

PER 3 (early bobblehead for 4 to get Locksmith)

END 1

CHR 8

INT 7

AGI 4

LCK 2 (from the SPECIAL book)

It means I can't get Strong Back just yet, not until I can spare a couple of points (or get the bobblehead), but that was a price I needed to pay. The Minuteman Hat from Concord gives me CHR9 which means I can pass any speech checks with a bottle of Gwinnet on hand, INT at 7 gets me decent levelling speed, and AGI at 4 because I suck at combat and need to be able to go into VATS on (many) occasions lol

This post was edited by Paul at March 21, 2018 6:20 PM EDT