Forums » General Gaming

Bethesda E3 2018

• 773 posts
    March 6, 2018 11:21 AM EST

Don't think we have a discussion going on this yet..

Bethesda have put up a teaser for their 2018 E3 Showcase

There's a ton of YouTubers who have dissected this down to the nth degree - the common consensus being that they have learned from their shockingly bad 2017 'Showcase' (if indeed it can be called that) and will be going full on with announcing a brand new game from Bethesda Game Studios (as distinct from random stuff from other game studios that just happen to be published by Bethesda Softworks)

But what will it be? Seems unlikely it will anything Fallout or Elder Scrolls as they've repeatedly said there will two brand new IPs before that. Smart money is on this mysterious thing called 'Starfield' which is trademarked IP, about which we know absolutely nothing. Could it be some sort of open world (open universe) RPG set in space? Let's speculate...

What do you think?

• 277 posts
    March 6, 2018 11:54 AM EST

A sci-fi space opera RPG made by Bethesda? Yes please!!! This and Cyberpunk 2077 should keep me occupied for years to come!

This post was edited by Noodles at March 6, 2018 12:27 PM EST
    • 50 posts
    March 6, 2018 12:47 PM EST

I'm agreeing with both of you and speculating that Starfield is an open world / galaxy / universe RPG set in space. I see some hints at some Elder scrolls stuff as well although I suspect this will be more DLC for ESO.

• 20 posts
    March 6, 2018 1:25 PM EST

I feel like there has to be a new game this year from Bethesda Game Studios, all the other studios under Bethesda have had recent releases (Evil Within, Prey/Dishonoured2, Wolfenstein), so if there's going to be anything substantial to show off, its going to have to be from BGS. Starfield is the most likely one, and I think if they do it right it could be super fun to play. I'm personally excited for a sci-fi space game, especially if it's a nice big open world one where I can fly between planets and different intergalactic governments and stuff.

Besides the new IP, I expect the new chapter for ESO to be announced (LETS GO SUMMERSET), new ES:Legends DLC, and maybe DLC for the games that Bethesda recently published. Also there's Quake Champions that they might say something about.

I'm still sad I'm going to have to wait like 6 years for TES:VI though :(

• 1467 posts
    March 6, 2018 5:49 PM EST

Secret Fact --- Starfield is just a 3D version of Minesweeper. Sure it's set in space, but it's still just Minesweeper (In 3DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

*cough* anyway, I'd expect some pretty heavy ESO content, possibly ES: Legends and maybe they'll do something with Fallout Shelter. I also wouldn't be surprised if they unveiled a new mobile game since Bethesda has made it clear that they're pretty down for mobile (and of course, they've been doing pretty well with them). Not sure what they'd actually do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried something new.

I'd love if Morrowind (Remastered) or Arena, Daggerfall (Remastered), obviously doubt it but I might prefer a full TES III: Morrowind experience on the console with mods...I guess Creation Club because urgh they'll do that of course. I doubt it'll happen, but I'd pay good money for it. 

• 20 posts
    March 6, 2018 5:56 PM EST

Dragonborn1921 said:

Secret Fact --- Starfield is just a 3D version of Minesweeper. Sure it's set in space, but it's still just Minesweeper (In 3DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

*cough* anyway, I'd expect some pretty heavy ESO content, possibly ES: Legends and maybe they'll do something with Fallout Shelter. I also wouldn't be surprised if they unveiled a new mobile game since Bethesda has made it clear that they're pretty down for mobile (and of course, they've been doing pretty well with them). Not sure what they'd actually do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried something new.

I'd love if Morrowind (Remastered) or Arena, Daggerfall (Remastered), obviously doubt it but I might prefer a full TES III: Morrowind experience on the console with mods...I guess Creation Club because urgh they'll do that of course. I doubt it'll happen, but I'd pay good money for it. 

Oh man, if they made a Morrowind remastered that had updated, current generation graphics, heck even Skyrim level graphics, but was still the morrowind game with all of the original mechanics that would be amazing. I highly doubt they will, since unlike with Skyrim they'd have to make all new models and textures and probably a bunch of stuff I don't know about. It would be so awesome if they did it though. Daggerfall or Arena would be cool too, but they're so unbelievably large that I don't see it being very practical when Morrowind is so much more popular anyway. Not that Morrowind is even likely at all.

• 278 posts
    March 6, 2018 10:34 PM EST

Am I the only one who doesn't want Bethesda to try juggling a new IP? I don't mind waiting for TES VI (lol yes I really do) but I wouldn't mind Starfield. I don't think it's completely likely, though. I would love a Morrowind redone, they know people love it (Dragonborn DLC, ESO Morrowind) and it would be easy. They wouldn't have to write story or anything. Yes, easy in comparison to making Starfield. 

Dunno.

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at March 6, 2018 10:36 PM EST
    • 773 posts
    March 7, 2018 11:05 AM EST

I think we are in danger of straying into the realms of fantasy here. I'd like to stick to what we think Bethesda will actually do, rather than compile a 'wish list' of things that we think would be great in an ideal world, but which there is virtually zero chance of them doing.

I'm 99.999% sure that they have done everything they are going to do with going back to Morrowind with the ESO DLC. I'd be amazed (yet delighted) if they go back to Vvardenfell again for someo sort of re-master.

No, they've been as clear as Bethesda ever are clear (I admit, they can be somewhat murky) that we are looking at 'two big and crazy new games that aren't Elder Scrolls and aren't Fallout'.

Everything points to 'Starfield' being the new game that is being teased in the video above. Heck, there is even a field of stars as a backdrop - how much more subliminal could they be? 

There's been some talk of procedurally generated universe, which I am hoping is wrong. 'No Man's Sky' anyone? Please Bethesda, don't go down that rabbit hole. Far better, in my view, would be series of hand-crafted worlds that could be visited, each being the home world of different races with all the potential for politics, cultures, reliigions and philosophies that we all love within Elder Scrolls. The good thing about that sort of gaming universe is that it's ripe for DLC - you just add new planets whenever you want to expand...

• 284 posts
    March 7, 2018 3:32 PM EST

I bet starfield would be awesome. Would love to see them take their style of PRG into space. Could dethrone Mass Effect as the new Star Wars of gaming.

• 1467 posts
    March 7, 2018 5:45 PM EST

Honestly, a fair point Paul. Generally speaking, I would bet on ESO and Legends content, with the possibility of this 'Starfield' being unveiled. Though I have no idea what it'll be, or even if that will be the name. 

• 136 posts
    March 13, 2018 9:28 AM EDT

Given that they just opened up a new studio in Texas (formerly, Battle Cry Studio), I expect the tempo of releases to increase. Although Beth prides itself on being a small (relatively speaking) studio where everyone gets to work on each IP, this philosophy is unsustainable in the current gaming market. I was happy to learn about the new studio. In fact, this was the first bit of news from Beth that actually got me excited. It's been a while since I was excited about Beth news.

As for ESO, rumors and data-mining indicates that the next chapter will be Altmer-focused, particular a quest line devoted to the Psijic and the Isle of Artaeum. 

This post was edited by The_Lex at March 13, 2018 9:29 AM EDT
    • 215 posts
    March 15, 2018 2:21 PM EDT

bolionce said:

I'm personally excited for a sci-fi space game, especially if it's a nice big open world one where I can fly between planets and different intergalactic governments and stuff.

Hey, it's No Man's Sky!

• 275 posts
    March 15, 2018 3:40 PM EDT

Patriarch said:

As for ESO, rumors and data-mining indicates that the next chapter will be Altmer-focused, particular a quest line devoted to the Psijic and the Isle of Artaeum. 

Really? That's be awesome! If it's true I can finally dress up my Psijic character in some proper robes because there'll probably be Psijic motifs.

• 275 posts
    March 17, 2018 11:43 PM EDT

DeltaFox said:

I bet starfield would be awesome. Would love to see them take their style of PRG into space. Could dethrone Mass Effect as the new Star Wars of gaming.

Nothing Bethesda makes will ever beat Mass Effect.

• 627 posts
    March 18, 2018 12:00 AM EDT

Ebonslayer said:

DeltaFox said:

I dunno, they already have games with better stories then Mass Effect 2 which is just a bunch of sidequests loosely held together by the threat of the collectors.

• 275 posts
    March 18, 2018 12:34 AM EDT

Golden Fool said:

Ebonslayer said:

DeltaFox said:

I dunno, they already have games with better stories then Mass Effect 2 which is just a bunch of sidequests loosely held together by the threat of the collectors.

They haven't made a better story than ME2 since Oblivion. Skyrim has shit story.

• 627 posts
    March 18, 2018 12:48 AM EDT

Ebonslayer said:

They haven't made a better story than ME2 since Oblivion. Skyrim has shit story.

Skyrim's story still has a Beginning, Middle and End. ME2 doesn't, it has a beginning, a dozen side stories and then you fight half a robot. Anyway, I'll agree that it is unlikely that Bethesda will make a game that will surpase the internet's love for Mass Effect.

• 278 posts
    March 18, 2018 12:56 AM EDT

Golden Fool said:

Ebonslayer said:

Skyrim's story still has a Beginning, Middle and End. ME2 doesn't, it has a beginning, a dozen side stories and then you fight half a robot. Anyway, I'll agree that it is unlikely that Bethesda will make a game that will surpase the internet's love for Mass Effect.

I'm agreed. Ignoring ME:A Mass Effect is the most beloved sci-fi series out there. It's really well done, just like even the Witcher's success will never surpass that of the Elder Scrolls, and how Metro will never be Fallout - in my - and the majority of the internet's - opinion. Not to mention, I can't imagine Bethesda doing space combat, they've never been one for vehicles. Mass Effect is the dominant sci-fi series, and I doubt Beth will change that, regardless.

• 278 posts
    March 18, 2018 12:57 AM EDT

Personally, I'm moreso looking forward to Beyond Skyrim Cyrodiil and the other projects than I am Starfield, if I'm being totally honest.

• 277 posts
    March 18, 2018 5:32 AM EDT

I'm hurt to see people pit Mass Effect against The Elder Scrolls. GAMES IN DIFFERENT SETTINGS!!! (and arguably different genres)

• 627 posts
    March 18, 2018 5:39 AM EDT

Noodles said:

I'm hurt to see people pit Mass Effect against The Elder Scrolls. GAMES IN DIFFERENT SETTINGS!!! (and arguably different genres)

That was my first thought as well, but if I see a chance to take a dig at ME2 I'll take it :P

• 278 posts
    March 18, 2018 5:44 AM EDT

Golden Fool said:

Noodles said:

That was my first thought as well, but if I see a chance to take a dig at ME2 I'll take it :P

I'm with Goldie. It's overrated. I'm not even hyped for Starfield at all. Hyped as anything for Beyond Skyrim and Skyblivion, though. 

• 284 posts
    March 18, 2018 5:50 AM EDT
    That moment when developers see that people are more hyped for a mod then a new game. :P
    • 278 posts
    March 18, 2018 5:53 AM EDT

Starfield won't be better than the Mass Effect series - but it'll be better than any game as a whole, probably. I just am hearing a lot of awfully No Man's Sky sort of shit, like the word 'Procedural' and 'Generated' both of which set off explosions the size of Red Mountain in my head. I'd rather play in Cyrodiil or Elsweyr in an incredible mod than in No Man's Sky but with Todd Howard, y'know? Regardless, I'll probably play it, but my mind - or rather, B'okhi's - is set on warm sands. 

Oh, and also Skyblivion.

• 277 posts
    March 18, 2018 6:55 AM EDT

All this reminds me of how I used to bash Fallout 4 because "WAH! WAH! it's not TES6". It's called butt hurt fanboysm, lol! I'm really glad I put that behind me and enjoyed the game tremendously for what it is. Anyhow, if Starfield turns out to be a space opera rpg and this site will make it a part of what's going on here just like with Fallout, I'm going to want to host that CB group. I even have an idea for an event leading to the launch of the game. :D