Forums » Fallout

Too Many Saves?

• 215 posts
    February 17, 2018 5:23 PM EST

Is there any known issues with too many saves (or too many Quick Saves)?

I've had a problem with periodic load screen freezes for a long time.  Wasn't sure if it was due to mods but I saw something that hinted at a save issue with too many quick saves.  So I loaded every character that I had and deleted all but the last 3-4 saves for them.  It must've been about 500 saves.  Anyway, we'll see if that helps load times and screen freezes.  Just wondered if anyone knew definitively about it.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 17, 2018 5:38 PM EST

I can't speak for Fallout 4 and consoles, but given that it's the same engine used in both Skyrim and the previous Fallout games (although updated), yes, there are a few problems with saving in general. As a rule of thumb you have to disable all auto-saves in Bethesda games, and sometimes it's good to do a "clean" one (delete your previous main save and make another main one. The same should be done with your quicksave file). You should also avoid having too many save files generally speaking - 500 sounds like way too many.

• 1441 posts
    February 17, 2018 6:57 PM EST
    Well, at least on consoles, it stops you from saving after a certain amount. Makes sense, as it probably can't store them all And still have space for updates and the like