Forums » Fallout

When you play Fallout...

• 215 posts
    February 16, 2018 4:16 PM EST

So I'm moving along in my newest personal save (one that's not specifically for a build) and I'm trying to decide which path to take.  I'm leaning in a certain direction, mainly as it's different from any I've done before.

So was curious...when you are just playing Fallout, do you do all the factions up to the point you HAVE to make a choice or do you just play straight down a certain faction you want to side with for that character.

And as a secondary query: Do you always side with the same faction because of a certain like for that faction (or adversely a hate for another faction?) or do you vary it up to try out each ending in the game?

• 295 posts
    February 16, 2018 4:29 PM EST

I tend to do some factions to the point where it makes sense in some of the cinematic scenes you see. Like how can a certain airship show up if you don't go with the Paladin to get a certain transmitter? That sort of thing. I'm not sure if that's the only one though.

Otherwise, what faction I pick ties closely to the roleplay of whatever I'm playing and I am curious to play through all of them to see how things differ. I've ignored a lot of things for rp purposes. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 16, 2018 5:34 PM EST

So was curious...when you are just playing Fallout, do you do all the factions up to the point you HAVE to make a choice or do you just play straight down a certain faction you want to side with for that character.

I plan my characters before I start playing. My current New Vegas character is a former Desert Ranger who left his group ten years ago, when the NCR Rangers annexed the Desert Rangers. He left them because he didn't want to give up their independence and preferred to ally with the NCR, yet he never openly "rebelled" because he still recognized the bigger threat - the Legion. In the game's timeline, he has been working in "part-time jobs" as a courier and bounty hunter so that he can sustain his lonely vigil over the western wastes of America... until that happens and the "New Vegas" game begins. He ends up as a reluctant supporter of the NCR, both out of respect and loyalty to his former comrades and out of fear of the Legion. His turning point..

Damn, I want to make a profile out of him. And actually, this character started as a mentor to another character of mine, but actually grew and became its own thing. I digress. I really need to learn how to use those damn editing tools and programs to make pretty profiles and hell, maybe a couple short stories.

So yeah, I plan a character and stick with him roughly on the same path - say, I want to make a Mr. House or Caesar's Legion supporter, he will always stick to the quests that make sense for it. In Fallout 4 I had trouble doing this, because I never really felt in control of my character given the forced backstory, so even though I wanted to follow the Brotherhood, it just felt wrong to me for some reason. I couldn't make an in-character justification.

Do you always side with the same faction because of a certain like for that faction (or adversely a hate for another faction?) or do you vary it up to try out each ending in the game?

I admit I have a lot of trouble not going with Mr. House in Fallout: New Vegas. I think that 9 out of 10 playthroughs always end up being a sympathizer do House's world view. That said, I am trying to change now - as I mentioned, my current playthrough is an NCR reluctant sympathizer. I'm planning on making a Legion character after that and then finish it with another Mr. House character.

Now to the second part of that question, if I hate a faction... Yes. I have zero sympathy for Yes Man and its anarchy, so I don't really have any desire of playing it. In Fallout 4 I'm also not a fan of neither the Institute or the Railroad, but I haven't explored that game properly to give you any conclusive answers (due to the previously mentioned roleplaying limitations).

By the way, for those of you who experienced Fallout for the first time with Fallout 4, I can't stress my recommendation for New Vegas enough.

• 55 posts
    February 16, 2018 8:39 PM EST

I go brotherhood A LOT but I do often do quests with all of them, especially if I want something like ballistic weave, or other rewards for working with them unless I am specifically trying to do something like an insitutute build where synths just need to die and the R/R is the enemy. I think it makes sence for your character to work around, earn some caps, do some merc work, and feel out all these factions in this crazy world to see just which ones hold the same values (or at least the closest) that he/she does.

@Mr. Edd- FNV is indeed awesome and ABSOLUTELY recommend it to anyone in this community and I would love to see that character profile!

• 248 posts
    February 17, 2018 10:37 AM EST

Yeah it depends A LOT! If it's for a build, like Mr. Edd I have it planned out

If it's for fun / leisure I let the story and my RP of the character dictate the faction selection as it comes in the narrative (sort of like what Liss said). 

I've played on all sides and enjoyed all sides. I think, for me I tend to really try to get in the head of the character and react to dialogues and faction ideals as I feel like they would in the moment. 

The tricky part is playing a character that doesn't neccesarily want to pick on or two sides...you can do it but it definitely takes some fancy foot work. That's where guides can come in handy (like "how to remain neutral in all factions" guides). 

Sadly, I think each faction has some pretty flawed or over the top writing / ideals that make each hard to really love. The extremism can be off putting. Which makes me want to say teh MM are my favorite...except for that tiny issue of Preston quest loops being the most irritating thing in the game. 

• 215 posts
    February 17, 2018 10:55 AM EST

Yeah, I liked the Farmer build where I avoided the MM, although they always seem to be my go to faction for most playthroughs.