Forums » General Gaming

RNGesus: Art Thou Blessed or Cursed by Him?

• 321 posts
    February 14, 2018 7:37 AM EST

Loot.

Every game has them, and all gamers love them.

We all strive to get that one-of-a-kind item that only drops after you killed a boss or cleared a dungeon. Whether it's for bragging rights from friends or just being part of the end-game meta, we all can't deny that obtaining rare loot feels satisfying.

However, loot is abided by a powerful force. A force that no one, not even the most skilled players, can overcome. A force that has been worshipped by gamers in hopes that it would grant them its boon. A force that only goes by one name and three letters:

RNG

Yes, we all have our encounters with the almighty RNG. Some are memorable, and some have left us crying and raging. So today we celebrate our experiences with RNGesus, and how He has blessed (or cursed) you during your quest in search of super rare loot in your favorite  games.

This post was edited by A-Pocky-Hah! at February 14, 2018 7:38 AM EST
    • 321 posts
    February 14, 2018 7:53 AM EST

Okay, I'll start first.

The first time I was blessed by RNG was in Borderlands 2. I was running Salvador on OP5, wandering around Tundra Canyon, blowing stuff up. Decided to go to this railway station near the edge of the map that was populated with bandits. Naturally, I killed them all and started to open everything in the area for ammo and money. Then I found this normal cardboard box. I expect some health and ammo when I open it, but what I didn't expect was... a Legendary weapon. Not just any Legendary weapon... but the Unkempt Harold, which is like one of the best pistols in the game. 

I had a lot of moments during Destiny 1. Beaten first raid boss for the first time, and I got a Atheron's Epilogue. It was a low damage/high rate of fire void auto rifle. At first, I was like meh, but when I ran it in the nightfall which had void burn active, it just shreds enemies like paper. Since then, it has been dubbed "Meat Grinder" until my retirement. Then there were the Legendary Engrams. Back then, people didn't trust the Cryptarch (they still don't trust him now). So I turned in my two legendary engrams with low expectations, only to find out that both turned into exotic weapons. Hawkmoon and Gjallarhorn, which were highly sought after by the community. It was then I realized how truly lucky I was. (Too bad my friends were there with me)

This post was edited by A-Pocky-Hah! at February 14, 2018 7:54 AM EST
    • 1467 posts
    February 14, 2018 8:39 AM EST

Blessed? By RNG? Never, well at least I can't recall a time that I've ever been blessed by RNG. Actually, that's not entirely fair, I could break it down by game and probably get a few good notes.

So the first (since you mentioned it) is Destiny, and I've absolutely never had a lick of luck in Destiny. I've managed the same Exotic 3 times (actually to be fair, it isn't three times...it's four times, it's the armour set you can get for buying the last version of Destiny and then playing as a Warlock), and never managed to get another piece of Warlock gear that was any good for the class I was running at the time. I never got any amazing loot, never managed to get any luck in the Summoner's Circle on the Dreadnaught (would consistently get bosses that my set-up just couldn't deal with). Generally speaking, yeah terrible luck with Destiny and it's only the fact that there are just enough Exotic Weapons you can get through Quests that my character was able to even hit Level 40, let alone deal with the Rise of Iron quests.

Pokemon is probably the other game I play that's heavily RNG based (other than YuGiOh) and I have better than average luck. I mean, it's fairly balanced because my miss rate on Fire Blast and Stone Edge is astronomical but I also happen to be very lucky with crits against enemies that set up (for those that don't know, critical hits in later versions of Pokemon will ignore any defense boosts your opponent has, meaning it can be a lot easier to one-shot enemies with a crit) and I've got enough luck in Monotype Battles that I've managed to hit 1400 with...moderately competitive playing. Basically that...mostly relies on you having a decent type match up because building...a Water team that can take out an Electric team is pretty damn hard. Other then that, also get some decent luck on catching Legendaries, usually can get them within the first 30 pokeballs (I'm a true believer of the 'buy 10000 Pokeballs and throw them at a Sleeping/Paralyzed Legendary till something works' approach) and even managed to capture one of the 'mid-level' (catch rate wise) on the fifth ball once. 

Let me think...I probably play a few other RNG based games, or at least games that use RNG but I can't think of them at the moment. I know for sure that I haven't received anything particularly noteworthy from RNGesus in the last 6 years, occasionally I get something 'alright enough' but nothing memorable enough that it's worth talking about.

• 585 posts
    February 14, 2018 11:38 AM EST

Man, this has made me realise how little variation I have in my games. I've barely played any games with a RNG aspect, at least not one central to gameplay, so I can't really comment on my luck. When I played Pokemon I Was too young to understand the numbers involved, never cared enough to learn them in Destiny... and that's about it. I think the issue is that I hate number crunching, I'd rather just wing it and see what happens, and this is especially true to games.

• 700 posts
    February 14, 2018 1:15 PM EST

The only kind of RNG I tolerate is the RNG in Xcom 2, and Pokemon. I used to play the hell out of Borderlands 2, but I've never been one for farming. Eventually the number crunching made me physically sick and I decided to be one less rat pressing the cocaine button in my cage. And to be honest, I can't remember a time that RNG has ever been particularly kind to me. 

Zonnonn said:

I'd rather just wing it and see what happens, and this is especially true to games.

Preach, Brother Zonnonn. 

• 13 posts
    February 14, 2018 1:17 PM EST

I play a ton of D&D and that entire game is based on RNG. The mechanic's of the game is trying to increase your odds for higher rolls, but no matter what you do there's always a chance you roll a 1 and auto fail what ever you're dong. I've had the curse more than the blessing. lol

As far as loot boxes are conserned I have pretty damn good luck. I've gotten two ultimate skins with 3 hextech chest in League of Legends. So I mean it kinda balances out between League and D&D. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 14, 2018 1:29 PM EST

I had to look up what RNG was, and now I seem to have played quite a few games where "luck" features proeminently: XCOM EU/EW and 2, Fallout 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin 2 and, in a way, all strategy games have some degree of luck involved: one powerful, agressive neighbour who dislikes your race/civilization in Stellaris or in Total War and you're doomed. Morrowind also had a hit and miss chance, didn't it?

I'd like to believe that I have been extremely unlucky in Stellaris, but I think I just suck at it...