Forums » Elder Scrolls

Where does this One think Elder Scrolls Six will be set?

• 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 12:49 AM EST

'Dar'jari would enjoy retunring to the warm sands of his home in Senchal, no?'

The name of the topic says it all - I plan to analyse every single province's likeliness for the setting of Elder Scrolls Six, and I plan to successfully (by my own standards) determine the location. I'm going to go over every topic such as quests that could be done, the main quest, the character's role in the story, the combat and new enemies, as well as cities and many other features. I'm not going to include Skyrim or Cyrodiil in this judging, as both of these are relatively new in memory, as well as being the most typical and (somewhat) boring settings. I love the mountains and snow, but its had its run by far and over. Without any further ado, let's get into this!

Summerset Isles - in my opinion, this place would be the best choice if they wanted to continue the Thalmor storyline, which I think they'll want to - seeing how much everyone hates them - as well as being wonderfully unique in location, lore and quest opportunities. If Skyrim was the home of warriors, then it would be time for the mages to come out in Summerset Isles, with an abundance of magical guilds - such as the Psjiic, probably a few Thalmor-sanctioned mages operations. An opportunity for thieves would be either a really fun take on it, maybe with illusion-based burglars and maybe a cameo from the Summerset Shadows, but other than that I can't imagine thieving being that huge. Summerset Isles offers little to no warriors guilds that I can think off of the top of my head, though perhaps some breakaway Altmer would create a guild for you to join just for the sake of it. I would love if everything had a more magical twist to it, seeing where we are - especially since they did that in Skyim with the more alone and feared Winterhold College - though hopefully a better questline than Winterhold. In terms of questlines, the main quest would hopefully be a continuation of Skyrim's questline, not necessarily with the Stormcloaks, but with maybe a mix of breakaway Altmer, rebellious Bosmer and something adjective Khajiit (fluffy?) or perhaps the entire Legion pitting an attack on Summerset Isles. In terms of geography, the gorgeous high-fantasy-esque flora reminiscent in colours of a doctor seuss book with its red and purple trees would make a brand-new type of location never before seen, like another Morrowind in its originality. In terms of cities, we'd get Alinor, which is described as being made from 'glass and insect wings' which would be dizzyingly interesting, with tall towers (save the White-Gold Tower) being something not seen really in an Elder Scrolls Game. The Crystal-Tower would also be an awesome place you could visit, as well as cities such as Firsthold, and Skywatch. Elven architecture isn't something we've seen, and in Elder Scrolls Online it's so unique and so obvious that the Altmer want to show off their superiority in their buildings that the cities would all be unique, and hopefully, the whole 'small town' problem that plagued Skyrim wouldn't appear again here - mainly because Summerset Isles is a lot smaller and wouldn't need as many towns. The Thalmor would be the obvious choice in villain, and I imagine that the overall leader (whoever that is?) would be the primary antagonist. And now, onto my favourite part - no prophesised hero. I would love to be a simple guy in Elder Scrolls Six who happened to be in the wrong place in the wrong time and got roped into the main quest, like the Champion of Cyrodiil. I don't want to be able to shoot powers from my mouth or be the immortal Nerevarine, again. I want to be not even the main hero - just like the Champion, Martin is the real hero. I just helped him. I would love to end up as a general of either the Thalmor (who I would like the ability to actually side with) or the resistance, whoever they are. We don't know much about the fauna of Summerset Isles, but I imagine it'd be quite interesting to see what they do. Not to mention we could visit the islands of Auridon, Isle of Summerset, Artaeum, Eyevea, Errinore, Buraniim, Silatar, and Dranil Kir, and I was thinking they could either do simple fast travel boats, or they could add some incredibly fun sailing mechanics, either from Assassin's Creed or even Wind Waker-esque, from Legend of Zelda - as well as maybe even adding a new pirate faction? In terms of DLC options, generally the rule of thumb is that the first DLC is smaller, as well as being set in the base province. Then there's either some home-based DLC or smaller DLC homes like in Oblivion, or they might do something like Hearthfire. Then the final DLC is usually set in a new location, like Solstheim in Morrowind, then Shivering Isles, then Solstheim again, For this they might actually (hopefully not) remove one of the main islands from the base game and add it as either a continuation of the Thalmor, or maybe something totally new. Honestly I think that Summerset Isles is actually fairly likely for a DLC instead of the actual main province as its unlikely that Bethesda are going to choose somewhere so populated by a single race and influenced only by magic without as much stuff about combat skills or theivery. I'd enjoy Summerset Isles, but I don't think its terribly likely as a main location, also because of its size, as well as the mostly magical and Altmer basis - it has almost no other influence. 

Elsweyr & Valenwood - I think they won't do either of these seperately, especially because of their size. Together they're about the same size (on most maps) as Skyrim and Cyrodiil. Not to mention, their two vastly different geographical styles providing something not really seen in Elder Scrolls yet. While they could do them seperately and I'm going to assess them seperately, I'd love to have them both in the same game. It breaks the one province rule, but it wouldn't be a waste in my opinion, and both would perfectly compliment each other and could both tie into the Thalmor storyline that Skyrim started and I'd imagine Bethesda would continue. In terms of guilds and questlines, a wonderful Thieves Guild in Elsweyr could be pulled off with both drug operations based on Skooma (which you could shut down or build up) as well as some awesome heists, maybe on the Thalmor operations or maybe somewhere in Valenwood. Thieving could be awesomely overhauled, with cities like Senchal, a famed city of thieves and the biggest port in southern Tamriel. A warriors guild could also be done, with aspects based on more stealthy ideas. A mages guild would be hard to pull off in Elsweyr, although it could be Thalmor-sanctioned, but it could also be in Valenwood. A hunting guild could also be made in Valenwood, with aspects based on the Green Pact, which I would like to see play some part in various areas of Valenwood but not the entirety, with maybe bounties given when you eat plants or something, and then maybe there could be some more civilized cities on the borders. Major cities in Elsweyr like Dune, Torval, and Senchal - an awesome opportunity for a seaside city, the largest port in southern tamriel, with a large amount of thieving and unique architecture. In Valenwood we could have something akin to a new Morrowind in the treetop cities. Valenwood would prove a perfect foil to Elsweyr's deserts and jungles. Deserts and jungles haven't been seen in Elsweyr, as well as being unique in contrast to the forests and trees in Valenwood. In terms of the main questline, it would hopefully be the Thalmor, and once again you could join them or fight against them. I originally thought the player could be the Wilderking, but that wouldn't necessarily work, and then I thought he could be the Mane - before I realised that the Mane can only be a Khajiit, though maybe you work alongside the Mane? I originally decided upon the player being another simple guy, like you would in Summerset Isles.  In terms of DLC options, I thought mainly about having the first DLC being set across both provinces, with either a basis on some large Skooma operation, either foiling or boosting it, or possibly even some Green Pact cult taking over some area in Valenwood and attempting to move into Elsweyr. Then the second, final DLC, I thought could actually take place in the Summerset Isles, and you end the crisis of the Thalmor by killing the overall leader - just like Miraak acts as the end of the Dragonborn's story. Summerset would obviously be a little bit downsized, but I can't imagine a terrific reason to visit Summerset apart from either some magically based main quest or the Thalmor, and I can't see the Thalmor being in another game after Elder Scrolls Six. In terms of fauna and flora, the deserts add something unique that hasn't been seen before, and the magical Tenmar forests, as well as the breathtaking forests of Valenwood. The islands off of the coast of Elsweyr would also be amazing, not to mention the moving trees of Valenwood. In terms of races, Valenwood would be populated by a lot of races apart from Bosmer, while in Elsweyr mostly the place would be Khajiit and other races. 

I'll add Black Marsh and Hammerfell, as well as High Rock tomorrow. Just a little tired right now. 

• 275 posts
    February 12, 2018 12:52 AM EST

I think the An'Xileel are the only military in Tamriel that could actually take down the Thalmor if they wanted so I want to believe that it takes place in Black Marsh.

• 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 12:56 AM EST

I'll add that when I write in Black Marsh, but I was thinking that a combined military force amde up of all the races would be rather interesting with strained connections for example between the Nords and the Dunmer, and this might act as side quests. I would love Black Marsh too, but the Thalmor have no interest in it (being repelled before) as well as the fact that only the Argonians can survive in Black Marsh, so it wouldn't be as fun as all we'd have to talk to lizards - which would be fun, but ruin the mystery and appeal of the characters. Not to mention all the scenery would be super similar, but I would like t see maybe a spinoff take place in Black Marsh?

• 1441 posts
    February 12, 2018 1:56 AM EST
    Well, it is possible to survive on the outermost Fringe of Black Marsh. Maybe to get deeper in you have to wear a protective suit or something?

Also, funny enough, my original idea for 6 was that you were a spy or courier who was captured by a Dominion patrol and, as you're about to be interrogated, the Resistance busts you out, by accident
    • 1467 posts
    February 12, 2018 2:02 AM EST

Interesting analysis Wulf. I would probably say that Valenwood and Eleswyr are a lot bigger than we see on maps, or at least that the former provides a more 3d oriented map with the towering trees that would make it just as large as the others, if not larger just because there's more vertical room for things to work. So I'd probably see the two provinces being separate.

I'm definitely more in line with the idea of seeing Summerset, and that'd be where I'd love to see it. Even if I don't entirely think that it's where we're going to see (simply because I think it might limit things a bit too much by making everything tie into the Thalmor somehow...though that would follow Fallout 4 a little). Actually, if we use Fallout 4's Main Quest as an example of what they might do with TES:6, then it's entirely possible that they won't mind creating a Main Quest and Factions that are all linked together. Depends, probably not since they're fairly into the idea of keeping TES and Fallout as separate as possible, so the story-telling devices are likely to be different, but it's a thought.

Will be interested in seeing your thoughts from tomorrow Wulf

• 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 2:13 AM EST

@Chris, I don't think the spy part is necessary, but after that, your tutorial quest idea sounds awesome, and eerily similar to my own! Brilliant minds think alike :)

@Deebs, what I wouldn't do to have Elder Scrolls Six set in Elsweyr - my current RP char, Dar'jari, the priest of Rahjin with the purple and gold crest, is born in Senchal, and he's not the Dragonborn, so hopefully I'll be able to play as him in Elder Scrolls Six, as long as the time gap isn't that far apart :)

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at February 12, 2018 2:19 AM EST
    • 1467 posts
    February 12, 2018 2:32 AM EST

It probably won't be that far off (timeline, obviously it's still got a few years until we get it). So far Skyrim's the only one that's had a huge jump in time...I think all four other main series games were within about 100 or possibly even 50 years of each other. I mean, I think it was all within Uriel Septim VII's rule, so that's a fairly short time period. That said, a 20-30 year time skip might be plausible just so you can explain something that means they don't have to reveal whether TLDB sided with the Imperials or Stormcloaks. It'd be pretty easy to kill off Ulfric or Tullius if they had a decent time skip

• 41 posts
    February 12, 2018 4:41 AM EST
    Why do people assume continuation of 'Thalmor story'? I don't get it. So far they made a new separate story for each game.
    Elsweyr and Valenwood as one? There's no basis to such implications. Skyrim is smaller than Cyrodiil, Vvardenfelll is smaller than Skyrim. And yet they weren't together in one game.
    If they go for Elsweyr, I definitely want some elaboration on martial arts, preferably in form of some monastery/ies.
    Good news is, we're running/ran out of 'boring' provinces. Most would say High Rock is left. But it has warring petty kingdoms, politics, intrigues, hills, witches, reachmen, Wrothgarian and Dragontail mountains, Orsinium n' stuff.
    • 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 4:47 AM EST

Everyone hates the Thalmor, and we didn't get a proper continuation to the Civil War, as the Thalmor are still at large. It would be rather unsatisfying if we didn't get to continue our work, you know?

Elsweyr and Valenwood was just a suggestion, I, too would prefer Elsweyr on its own - its my favourite province, and if you ask me the only boring province is Cyrodiil. Besides, as long as there are Khajiit, I'm fine. 

• 1467 posts
    February 12, 2018 5:28 AM EST

Why do people assume continuation of 'Thalmor story'? I don't get it. So far they made a new separate story for each game.
    Elsweyr and Valenwood as one? There's no basis to such implications. Skyrim is smaller than Cyrodiil, Vvardenfelll is smaller than Skyrim. And yet they weren't together in one game. 
    If they go for Elsweyr, I definitely want some elaboration on martial arts, preferably in form of some monastery/ies.
    Good news is, we're running/ran out of 'boring' provinces. Most would say High Rock is left. But it has warring petty kingdoms, politics, intrigues, hills, witches, reachmen, Wrothgarian and Dragontail mountains, Orsinium n' stuff.

Also, before Vvardenfell was Daggerfall, not sure if it's smaller than Vvardenfell but it's still hugely smaller than Cyrodiil. As for the Thalmor, I think it's only natural to be entirely honest, I mean the Thalmor are an already established and highly focused upon enemy that poses a pretty real threat to any character/race. Also, at the very least I was pretty certain that ESO was (in part) designed to be a kind of hint about the idea they're putting into ES:6. The recreation of the Three Alliances has been my assumption for years at this point, and outside of another Akaviri invasion, it's pretty likely that the Thalmor are the biggest threat to the Empire, and thus a threat that could inspire the Alliances to gather together.

But it's a fair point. It's entirely plausible that it'll be a different threat/story focus for the sixth game.

• 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 5:33 AM EST

Dar'jari would sooner stop stealing than work with the Thalmor. I don't think they're going to lock races behind Alliances, though. I think that would annoy people quite a bit - want to play a High Elf, but hate the Thalmor? Fuck you! 

They'll probably make it so you can join any of them or the Empire, of course. Aside from those main factions I'd still like to see Thieves Guild - or the equivalent - Mages Guild - or the equivalent - Warrior Guild - you know, Companions, Fighters - Assassination Guild - maybe Morag Tong, this time? -

I still think if its Thalmor main quest they might as well put it in Summerset, Valenwood or Elsweyr as those are the closest to the Thalmor threat. It wouldn't make sense in Black Marsh, that way. 

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at February 12, 2018 5:39 AM EST
    • 284 posts
    February 12, 2018 6:15 AM EST

I think that TES 6 should be set in Valenwood. That is the only thing that can explain the long wait and the "we don't have the technology for it". As far as I know, Valenwood has a moving city in form of Falinesti, the Bosmer capital. But, the city hasn't moved since the late Third Era. So the game could be set in the Early Third Era or we can be seen helping Talos conquer Valenwood.

• 1595 posts
    February 12, 2018 6:18 AM EST

Cannon said: Why do people assume continuation of 'Thalmor story'? I don't get it. So far they made a new separate story for each game. Elsweyr and Valenwood as one? There's no basis to such implications. Skyrim is smaller than Cyrodiil, Vvardenfelll is smaller than Skyrim. And yet they weren't together in one game. If they go for Elsweyr, I definitely want some elaboration on martial arts, preferably in form of some monastery/ies. Good news is, we're running/ran out of 'boring' provinces. Most would say High Rock is left. But it has warring petty kingdoms, politics, intrigues, hills, witches, reachmen, Wrothgarian and Dragontail mountains, Orsinium n' stuff.

I think just because things are feeling very final. Most of the newer games see the fall of a Tower: The resolution and end of a musical theme which had up until then been recurring since the start. The Morrowind story resolved Dagoth Ur and Red Mountain, Oblivion resolved the Cyrodiilic theme of Daedric Invasion and that lost, found, and lost again Amulet of Kings, essentially rendering the tradition of Dragonborn Emperor meaningless. Skyrim saw the resolution of the Dragon War and return of the one who would preside over the next cycle. But it didn't resolve the man vs mer storyline, rather it brought it up again for the first time since Tiber Septim, which in itself is significant. So I feel it likely that we need to see that either furthered, or resolved. I'd like that to happen in Hammerfell and have the HoonDing being the next hero with ancient, mythic powers :D

• 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 6:23 AM EST

Falinesti has stopped moving, so that could be a lore excuse for why its not moving in the game. From a practical sense, its probably best it doesn't move. 

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at February 12, 2018 6:27 AM EST
    • 41 posts
    February 12, 2018 6:58 AM EST
    Do you really think TESVI will be the last one?
    • 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 7:02 AM EST

Last one? Hell, no! Even though they love the series, they need to make money and Elder Scrolls Six is probably the most wanted game of the current time right now. Elder Scrolls Seven will follow Six, with a new story and a new province. They'll keep going until people stop caring. 

• 122 posts
    February 12, 2018 7:02 AM EST
    Absolutely not. They’ll re-release another Skyrim with penguins in it or something shortly after.
    • 321 posts
    February 12, 2018 7:04 AM EST

I remember someone said that each TES game represents the destruction/deactivation of the Towers. Morrowind had Red Mountain, Oblivion had White-Gold, Skyrim had Throat of the World. So hypothetically, the province whose Tower has not yet been deactivated/destroyed should be the setting of TES VI.

So that means it's either Valenwood, High Rock or Black Marsh. 

• 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 7:17 AM EST

Out of those three, Valenwood would be the most interesting - alien culture, unique mechanics, still a lot of other races, as opposed to Black Marsh and it could also be more than a fairly Game of Thrones-esque world that we'd get in High Rock. If the Thalmor fall, though in Elder Scrolls Six, the destruction of the Towers may stop. However, regardless I don't think Bethesda will destory the Towers as it would effectively change everything we know and love. 

• 104 posts
    February 12, 2018 7:35 AM EST

Paws said:

Cannon said: Why do people assume continuation of 'Thalmor story'? I don't get it. So far they made a new separate story for each game. Elsweyr and Valenwood as one? There's no basis to such implications. Skyrim is smaller than Cyrodiil, Vvardenfelll is smaller than Skyrim. And yet they weren't together in one game. If they go for Elsweyr, I definitely want some elaboration on martial arts, preferably in form of some monastery/ies. Good news is, we're running/ran out of 'boring' provinces. Most would say High Rock is left. But it has warring petty kingdoms, politics, intrigues, hills, witches, reachmen, Wrothgarian and Dragontail mountains, Orsinium n' stuff.

I think just because things are feeling very final. Most of the newer games see the fall of a Tower: The resolution and end of a musical theme which had up until then been recurring since the start. The Morrowind story resolved Dagoth Ur and Red Mountain, Oblivion resolved the Cyrodiilic theme of Daedric Invasion and that lost, found, and lost again Amulet of Kings, essentially rendering the tradition of Dragonborn Emperor meaningless. Skyrim saw the resolution of the Dragon War and return of the one who would preside over the next cycle. But it didn't resolve the man vs mer storyline, rather it brought it up again for the first time since Tiber Septim, which in itself is significant. So I feel it likely that we need to see that either furthered, or resolved. I'd like that to happen in Hammerfell and have the HoonDing being the next hero with ancient, mythic powers :D

Yup, Hammerfell for me also, despite a previous outing in Arena, The Redguards continue to resist the Thalmor, and if I suspect correctly the Elf-Mer conflict will be resolved with their aid, as for the main quest storyline, well we all know it could be absolutely anything, but I suspect a Redguard of Nobel birth to rally his country against the Thalmor for one last decisive battle.

• 321 posts
    February 12, 2018 7:44 AM EST

Bonelord said:

Paws said:

Yup, Hammerfell for me also, despite a previous outing in Arena, The Redguards continue to resist the Thalmor, and if I suspect correctly the Elf-Mer conflict will be resolved with their aid, as for the main quest storyline, well we all know it could be absolutely anything, but I suspect a Redguard of Nobel birth to rally his country against the Thalmor for one last decisive battle.

Hell yeah! It'll be like TES Adventures: Redguard, remastered and expanded. They should also probably throw in a Sload or two in the mix.

• 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 7:47 AM EST

And please, holy god, sailing mechanics. Dar'jari would love to sail the seas of Tamriel once more :)

• 41 posts
    February 12, 2018 8:06 AM EST
    If we're going by towers, we still have two to see Green-Sap in Valenwood, and Adamantine in High Rock.
    • 41 posts
    February 12, 2018 9:32 AM EST
    With Hammerfell as a setting, Stros M'Kai DLC would be both cool and plausible.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 12, 2018 10:26 AM EST

If I could, I'd pick Hammerfell. It's an interesting province and a stark contrast to Skyrim, and as Paws pointed out, there's already a mythological hero that the player could embody. Besides, I feel like there are some hints in Skyrim that point out to Hammerfell as the next setting in the series - that quest with Saadia introducing the political climate of Hammerfell, a faction, all the lore about how Hammerfell was the one that resisted and then there was that Steam "leak" of a DLC titled "Redguard". Does anyone remember that one? It even had a banner or something, I believe.