Forums » Elder Scrolls

Where does this One think Elder Scrolls Six will be set?

• 1595 posts
    February 12, 2018 2:39 PM EST

Cannon said: Do you really think TESVI will be the last one?

I remember a few years back Todd Howard was talking about a desire to reboot the series. Having it end and a new cylce begin would be a perfect way to do that, but whether that'll happen is anyone's guess. Personally I love it as is :D

• 41 posts
    February 12, 2018 2:49 PM EST
    I think gaming industry has enough of a remakes/reboots/rereleases overload as it is.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 12, 2018 3:30 PM EST

Aye, I'm not a fan of reboots. As for TES, I feel like there is still a lot of potential to be explored in this cycle, but I'm kind of at peace because even if they choose to reboot it, we will get to witness the birth of a new cycle, which can be just as interesting as the ending of one.

• 71 posts
    February 12, 2018 8:26 PM EST

The whole 'Project Greenheart' thing might suggest otherwise, but I'm still pretty well convinced we're going to be seeing Hammerfell as TES VI's setting. If I had it my way, that's what we'd get. 

Bethesda, especially after FO4, faces a bit of a divide in their fanbase. They have a (significantly larger) casual fanbase that enjoys streamlined features and simple mechanics, and then they have a less sizeable (but much more vocal) demographic that favours deeper roleplaying elements. I, along with most of my friends, fall into the second category. At this point, they don't want to piss anyone off. Especially when games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance (get hyped) threaten to steal away the more loyal, 'hardcore' demographic. 

Hammerfell allows for the best of both worlds.

First things first, it's a human province. Bethesda, in my mind, wouldn't risk an 'alien' province like Morrowind right after Skyrim. They risk casual fans being off put, and hardcore fans being upset at the (inevitably) lacklustre execution. If they get it right, it's fantastic. BUT, it's a gamble of long odds. Hammerfell is marketable in that it's recognizable (think Lawrence of Arabia, Assassin's Creed), but also true to lore. Also, it's a setting that generally evades stereotypical fantasy, which allows it to be novel, but safe. I think Persian and Moorish influences could make for a very exciting setting, myself, and would love to see them in a 'fantastical' form as Skyrim did with old Scandinavia. 

The story won't be centered on the Thalmor, but they will have a presence. Morrowind and Oblivion both hinted at the Empire's growing weakness, and it was (sort of) addressed in Skyrim. At least as a footnote. Hammerfell could allow for a plot involving sword-singing or what have you, with a civil-war style subplot between the Crowns and the Forebears still alluding to the Thalmor. Ideally, it'll be a bit more intertwined with the main plot, and so feel more consequential. I'd also like for diplomacy/speech to be a substitute for combat in some quests, but that's more mechanic than setting.

Hammerfell also offers a good juxtaposition to Skyrim; trade taiga for desert, but the cultural zeitgeist remains the same (pro-warrior, anti-magic people who inhabit harsh land). It won't feel too far removed from their last title, which most casual fans would be weary of. At the same time, if depth was added, it would be seen as reasonable change by the casual fanbase, and applauded by longtime fans as well. Hammerfell is safe enough that they can experiment with more serious roleplaying, if they want to (I hope so).

Ideally, the game would be set maybe twenty years after Skyrim. The second Great War is on the verge of happening, and the MC is arrested for shady reasons as usual. You're imprisoned in the Northwest (I could see Dragonstar being destroyed, and then eligible to be rebuilt by the MC as a settlement feature), and escape with a a small rebel force. After that, I'd like it to play out like Morrowind. You're tasked with, ultimately, choosing a side in the civil conflict (Crowns vs Forebears), and in doing so waging who will best be able to defeat the Thalmor (or maybe you want them to win, I won't judge). Then, along the way, you're told of a prophecy detailing a legendary Ansei; here, you are prompted to go for training. Like in Morrowind, you get to decide whether or not you're special, or merely caught up in the right place at the wrong time.

Ideally, I'd like to see cities operate almost like independant states, given the divide in the province. It'd also make sense for Sentinel to be invested in High Rock's politics, etc. Overall, I'd like to see politics be more of a main feature. With GoT's popularity, I can see court intrigue being added in. I'd like for speechcraft to allow for the MC to influence the game by acting diplomatically, and at times allow for violence to be circumvented. It'd also be nice to see guilds be aware of eachother, and of the political situation. Maybe the Thieves Guild likes the Crowns for their stability, but dislikes the Dark Brotherhood. Maybe the Blackcasters and the Mages Guild hate eachother, and each back a seperate faction, etc.

Anyways, this became something of a ramble in the end, but I still think Hammerfell is the most likely option. I'll take what I can get, but Hammerfell sounds good to me. Bring on the curved swords!    

• 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 9:40 PM EST

My wishlist - 

3. Better combat, 

2. Sailing mechanics, 

1. KHAJIIT :)

Also, the HoonDing needs to be changed to either Hoonding or Hoon Ding, because it's killing my OCD.

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at February 12, 2018 9:55 PM EST
    • 1467 posts
    February 12, 2018 10:15 PM EST

I had a thought regarding  the idea that 'Current Technology isn't Good Enough for TES:6' that's gone around and how it can justify Hammerfell.

I actually think that this is a perfect justification for Hammerfell coming out after a serious delay because I always like to imagine the idea of a game that actually puts a lot of effort into making the desert feel super interesting, and I think the best way to do that is by creating a constantly moving landscape. I mean, when you think about it, the idea of winds moving around massive amounts of sand is hardly something crazy, sandstorms burying caves or covering the side of a village, only for another sandstorm months later uncovering that cave. It'd be insanely interesting if they used the actual desert as a mechanic in the game, but also something that would be really rather difficult to pull off. If something like that was apart of TES: 6, or even if it was minor and they were trying to make more realistic sandstorms (that affect the environment) I think it'd be a perfect explanation for that whole 'technology problem' because I can't see anything like that being done in a modern game.

Could be way off the ball, in fact, I probably am but it's something interesting to think about.

• 278 posts
    February 12, 2018 10:42 PM EST

Elsweyr has deserts :/

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 12, 2018 11:37 PM EST

Dragonborn1921 said:

I had a thought regarding  the idea that 'Current Technology isn't Good Enough for TES:6' that's gone around and how it can justify Hammerfell.

I actually think that this is a perfect justification for Hammerfell coming out after a serious delay because I always like to imagine the idea of a game that actually puts a lot of effort into making the desert feel super interesting, and I think the best way to do that is by creating a constantly moving landscape. I mean, when you think about it, the idea of winds moving around massive amounts of sand is hardly something crazy, sandstorms burying caves or covering the side of a village, only for another sandstorm months later uncovering that cave. It'd be insanely interesting if they used the actual desert as a mechanic in the game, but also something that would be really rather difficult to pull off. If something like that was apart of TES: 6, or even if it was minor and they were trying to make more realistic sandstorms (that affect the environment) I think it'd be a perfect explanation for that whole 'technology problem' because I can't see anything like that being done in a modern game.

Could be way off the ball, in fact, I probably am but it's something interesting to think about.

That would be sweet! But honestly I'm kind of glad that it'll take some time before the next ES, since I doubt my computer could even run something like that. Hell, I think I'll already be struggling with Kingdom Come, imagine that!

• 122 posts
    February 13, 2018 8:03 AM EST
    I would like to see a fully steampunk or piratical or both Elder Scrolls. Hammerfell or The Summerset Isles would be perfect for that setting. Mostly, though, all the years of playing in snowy Skyrim or nakedly weird Morrowind makes me want a sunny beach adventure. And the steampunk is because neato Victorian clothing and guns.
    • 29 posts
    April 11, 2018 1:15 AM EDT
    I think Hammerfell. There are just so many allusions to the province in game that are subtle, yet suggestive. Oblivion had many hints that TES5 was going to be set in Skyrim...

I think there's more to Hammerfell than the Alik'r desert and the isle of Stros m'Kai. I would assume that the borderlands would have differing climates and biozones. The border alongside Skyrim would definitely have snow-capped peaks and pine woodlands. The border alongside Cyrodiil would likely be rolling hills and savannahs. The country between High Rock and Hammerfell may be mountainous, much like the Reach, only much drier. The western and central part of the province is what has all the sands and seas. Perhaps Hammerfell is similar in terrain to the middle East and all the central Asian countries that end with -stan? As far as stories go, I think maybe have the game take place a good 15 or 20 years later. That's a long enough timeframe for wounds to heal, yet it hasn't been long enough for people to forget. Let's assume that Ulfric won the war, and so he reaches out to Hammerfell. Say the more traditionalist faction of Hammerfell (I can't remember if it's the Crowns or the Forebears) accepts the alliance, while the other retaliates by alligning with Cyrodiil? That would certainly explain the presence of Imperials and Nords in Hammerfell. Maybe Alinor is trying to reclaim the lands the Dominion has tried seize in the past, and a big war is fought. I can think of many possibilities.
    • 2 posts
    June 20, 2018 7:35 PM EDT
    I’ve searched for 2 hours for a comment I made like 4-6 years ago explaining my theory but whatever, Highrock, Hammerfell, Skyrim, with a starting point in the dragontail mountains, start out as a prisoner in a fight between forsworn and orc stronghold, my original post was better can’t find it, oh well