Forums » The Lounge

Chris's Absurd Anime&Manga Adventure of 2017

• 1441 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:52 PM EST
    You should check out JoJo's Bizzare Adventure
    • 168 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:58 PM EST

Dragonborn1921 said:

So yeah, SAO is something that I can freely admit to not liking, but it's not the worst ever so I never get why people seem to go after it more than anything else. 

My best guess is that it's because it's the most recent/successful 'worst ever'. It's something they think is bad yet is more popular than the stuff they think is great. Kinda like how poeple loved shitting all over Twilight and Justin Bieber when those were popular.

• 1467 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:58 PM EST

Hah, that's how I feel about Naruto. I enjoy the show, just Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura suck & are terrible. I've never even touched its sequels. I know for a fact a lot of the Naruto fanbase (the part that doesn't do dumb shit) is only still in it because they can't stop watching.

But I think my very first anime was reruns of Pokemon Indigo League? I can't remember that must've been way before I even started school. I didn't even know it was japanese, actually it was so long ago that I didn't know there were languages other than english.

I get that, I'm a pretty big fan of Naruto but there was a time change or something so I couldn't watch it (this was before the days where I'd just watch stuff online) so I kind of stopped watching it for a couple years and there's no way in hell that I'd ever be able to start again. Don't know how there are people who keep up with Dragon Ball, Naruto and One Piece but they exist...

• 1441 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:59 PM EST
    Those were dark days
    • 168 posts
    February 8, 2018 12:05 AM EST

Dragonborn1921 said:

I get that, I'm a pretty big fan of Naruto but there was a time change or something so I couldn't watch it (this was before the days where I'd just watch stuff online) so I kind of stopped watching it for a couple years and there's no way in hell that I'd ever be able to start again. Don't know how there are people who keep up with Dragon Ball, Naruto and One Piece but they exist...

Funny thing, many Naruto fans complain about the filler episodes before the timeskip, yet many of my favorite episodes are part of that filler. Kinda says something about the show, eh? I stopped watching after the time change because the 'ninja school' setting was one of the main reasons I had liked it, yet after the time change theyre all... different.

I used to watch Dragon Ball because the artist was also the guy who did stuff for Chrono Trigger. But DBZ just gets more ridiculous the longer it goes on. I can't even watch DB Super.

This post was edited by Chris H. at February 8, 2018 12:08 AM EST
    • 321 posts
    February 8, 2018 12:06 AM EST

Yeah, honestly I don't even know. I've given up on watching those shows. They're just too long that I think it's better to read the manga. I think Detective Conan/Case Closed is the only long-running anime that I don't bother skipping to the current episodes since basically each 2-3 episodes revolves around a crime scene which has nothing to do with the actual plot of the story.

Chris H. said:

Funny thing, many Naruto fans complain about the filler episodes before the timeskip, yet many of my favorite episodes are part of that filler. Kinda says something about the show, eh?

I used to watch Dragon Ball because the artist was also the guy who did stuff for Chrono Trigger. But DBZ just gets more ridiculous the longer it goes on. I can't even watch DB Super.

You want filler? Try Bleach. There's a whole arc dedicated to fillers.

This post was edited by A-Pocky-Hah! at February 8, 2018 12:07 AM EST
    • 168 posts
    February 8, 2018 12:12 AM EST

A-Pocky-Hah! said:

You know, I always was going to watch Bleach just never got too it... but the way you worded that it almost sounded like you wanted me to drink Bleach.

But the reason I liked Naruto's filler is because they're all just ninja missions. It's a bit like - Skyrim's side quests! lol :P

This post was edited by Chris H. at February 8, 2018 12:13 AM EST
    • 321 posts
    February 8, 2018 12:16 AM EST

Chris H. said:

A-Pocky-Hah! said:

You know, I always was going to watch Bleach just never got too it... but the way you worded that it almost sounded like you wanted me to drink Bleach.

But the reason I liked Naruto's filler is because they're all just ninja missions. It's a bit like - Skyrim's side quests! lol :P

Not really. I just heard some people say that Bleach is just all filler.

• 122 posts
    February 8, 2018 7:53 AM EST

I have some friends who encourage weekend binging when I go to their place to visit my ladyfriend. They had me watch a lot of the Seven Deadly Sins, the first season of SAO, and Castlevania (more happened in the four episodes of Castlevania than all of SAO’s season).

I’m watching Devilman Crybaby now during my morning workouts, but I’m not impressed with it. I’m too old to think anime gore and boobs are edgy.

One of my favorite anime to watch with my brain turned off is Gurren Lagan. It’s ridiculous and over the top in a way that makes me laugh. I can’t tell if it’s trying to take itself seriously or if it’s just having a lot of fun shouting random phrases from a self-help book on motivation. Either way, I enjoy it. Oh, and also there are giant robots.

• 41 posts
    February 8, 2018 8:08 AM EST
    I watched too much anime in my life. But I still do watch it anyway. Looking for a good one now. I have started Akame Ga Kill but it didn't manage to really hook me.
    • 1441 posts
    February 8, 2018 10:05 AM EST
    Fear not my fellow animites for a GOOD SAO reboot might be on the horizon https://youtu.be/yOGi25Qr-7A
    • 321 posts
    February 8, 2018 10:51 AM EST

Chris said: Fear not my fellow animites for a GOOD SAO reboot might be on the horizon https://youtu.be/yOGi25Qr-7A

Huh, didn't that SAO would get the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood treatment.

Well it's nice that there will be a reboot (and hopefully Reiki Kawahara has learned a thing or two for these past years), I wouldn't jump on the boat just yet until I see the first three episodes once they release it.

• 41 posts
    Now ain't this a sweet treat!
    • 41 posts
    • 41 posts
    • 41 posts
    February 8, 2018 10:52 AM EST
    Holy crap, this was unintentional
    • 1441 posts
    February 8, 2018 10:52 AM EST
    Anyone else here seen Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate?
    • 1467 posts
    February 8, 2018 6:48 PM EST

I have some friends who encourage weekend binging when I go to their place to visit my ladyfriend. They had me watch a lot of the Seven Deadly Sins, the first season of SAO, and Castlevania (more happened in the four episodes of Castlevania than all of SAO’s season).

I’m watching Devilman Crybaby now during my morning workouts, but I’m not impressed with it. I’m too old to think anime gore and boobs are edgy.

One of my favorite anime to watch with my brain turned off is Gurren Lagan. It’s ridiculous and over the top in a way that makes me laugh. I can’t tell if it’s trying to take itself seriously or if it’s just having a lot of fun shouting random phrases from a self-help book on motivation. Either way, I enjoy it. Oh, and also there are giant robots.

That's a good point on Castlevania, really if it were a proper season I think it might be in my 'top 10' list someday because it was really something. Haven't watched Devilman Crybaby because I just couldn't get past the style of it, that happens from time to time (Ajin was one) where the creators use an art style that doesn't gell with me, so I never watch it. 

------------------------------------------

Just watched a rather...not great but sort of interesting Anime yesterday (what I'm home sick so I binge watched nearly 2 seasons yesterday) called 'Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon' or DanMachi...and it was fairly entertaining. It wasn't a masterpiece but it's probably the closest I've found to an Anime that takes a look at RPG mechanics in some way. It isn't a 'gaming anime' but the world just happens to exist based on RPG mechanics like levels, attributes, skills, etc. Also, the name makes me laugh just about everytime I see it. 

Also watching Knights and Magic at the moment. Kind of like a Medieval Mecha Anime, with a trap protagonist and because he's 12 it focuses more on building mechs at the moment rather than awesome fights. Which is kind of cool, can't remember many series that focus on constructing the mechs so the premise is interesting enough that I can get by not caring about any of the characters yet (only 3 episodes in so...)

• 168 posts
    February 10, 2018 1:34 PM EST

Oh crap I had forgotten to list Redline and K-on! in my to-watch list. How much am I up to now? lol

Anyone else seen Redline? Just got done watching it. I thought the ending was a bit abrupt but it was a fun movie to watch.

This post was edited by Chris H. at February 10, 2018 1:35 PM EST