Forums » The Lounge

Chris's Absurd Anime&Manga Adventure of 2017

• 168 posts
    February 7, 2018 4:49 PM EST

So, some of you who remember me may have noticed that I wasn't frequenting this site last year. This mostly has to do with my activity here coinciding with when I'm playing Skyrim or another ES game usually. So wha' happen? Well, I ended up falling into the warm, moist, inescapeable crevice known as anime waifus.

So in April 2017 (which I know because my recent Skyrim save was then) that 'We are number one' remix meme was a thing. I was watching one that used anime scenes, when one scene in particular made me do a double-take. I couldn't believe they said that, in a dub even, it had to be real because of the bleeping censors!

The scene in question was from an anime called 'Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai', a.k.a Haganai, or rather the scene was from its second season, Haganai NEXT (if you've watched it, you probably know exactly which scene I'm referring to).  So I ended up watching the episode it came from, loved it then watched the whole series (english dub). ...But I ended up binging the whole entire show within a single weekend. I was just so interested in it - the show was just too relateable to me. I could relate so much to Yozora Mikazuki and just couldn't help but root for her. Kodaka obviously doesn't deserve any of those girls, but hey I just wanted a happy ending >.> But I could also see why Kodaka would do that, because I'm guilty of having done the same, its why I didn't really date in high school, it's just the thought of what if?  that causes hesitation, even if theres reasoning to back it up.

But then, as anyone whose watched Haganai before would know, that ending. That goddamn sucker punch of an ending. I was so distraught over it, so worried over this fictional character's fate because I had seen a bit of myself in them. For the next few days I was broken and couldn't take my mind off it.   But then I remembered some obscure thing from my childhood:

"Cliff Hanger, HANGING FROM A CLIFF!!" "Can't. Hold. on. much. LONGER!!!!" "And that's why he's called Cliff Hanger!"  Yep, just a dumb thing from a kids show that taught what a cliffhanger ending is. Watching a couple episodes of Between the Lions helped me get over a romantic comedy anime (that had a harem even though I didn't notice at the time). Also, that show had Wayne's World references in it, what the hell.

(Also, all the problems in Haganai would be solved if THEY WOULD JUST TALK ABOUT IT!! like seriuosly just fucking talk it out and communicate goddamnit)

So after that ordeal, the next anime I watched was something which also had a school club setting: D-Frag!!  Ah yes, D-frag, what a hilarious anime. In a way it reminded me of Bo-Bobo with its crazy dumb bullshit, but also reminded me of Haganai with the whole school club setting. For fast-paced comedy animes like this I'd suggest watching dubbed if at all possible. I loved this show and all its dumb bullshit, there's a guy with actually spiky hair, weirdos who think they have elemental powers, a masochist, Indiana Jones, boob envy, just everything about it was funny. It was so good that at the end of the series I needed more and ended up reading the manga.

And then after that, I sought out an anime that was also in a scene from a youtube video. But this time I was in for a ride. The anime was Shimoneta: A boring world where dirty jokes don't exist. What a great anime. It was lewd yet with good reason, and was intentionally censored to boot. Also, episode 4, best goddamn fanservice ever. It was plot-relevant fanservice even! Good lord.  Anyway, yeah, this anime was glorious. Makes me want to eat cookies and wear panties on my head, then run around with a SoX flag as an alter-ego. Well, not publicly anyway, I obviously wouldn't want that to be my claim to fame. If you're a sicko like me addicted to looking at lewds on the web, you should watch this show. Or even just watch it if you like filthy comedy. Is it just me or does anime do sex jokes way better that adult cartoons do? (It's probably because the characters are just drawn more attractive)

Sometime shortly after I went and got all caught up with my favorite manga, which I've kept up with since like 2015 when I found it I think. I'm... not sure if its something I'm willng to just tell about. I use my actual name on this site you know. It's a fairly popular manga, I read on wikipedia that it actually was listed as a bestselling manga in the New York Times (supposedly), it's just, I'm sure most people who aren't fans would think poorly of me due to some stimga or whatever. Basically I keep it secret so that things don't change, because I know things will. But hey, nowadays people are coming out with confessions of being gay or transexual or whatever so who knows, maybe someday it'll be ok without being weird. And maybe someday furries will be publicly accepted too.

That manga actually does have pervy things in it but thats not the reason why I like it. I giggle like a little girl everytime I read it. I love all the characters (every girl is best girl), I love their expressions and the creators drawing style, I just find it genuinely funny to read. So much so that every so often when the next chapter comes out I reread the previous ones. Also, the lore! I love all the weird lore stuff it's got.

But then I also found the courage to watch its anime adaptation, which to be honest was really really accurate to the source material. Except maybe its just me but, the girls look so much more like sex goddesses when it motion. The anime's a little hard to watch without having your hand in your crotch >.> lol. It only came in subtitles version, but there was also a soundtrack cd (which is really addicting btw) of character songs that weren't in the anime. I wonder if anyone reading knows exactly what I'm rambling on about? lol

A close friend of mine suggested I check out the Studio Ghibli movies. I recognized Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away, so I watched them and enjoyed them. Also watched my friend's favorite of the Ghibli movies, Princess Mononoke. They're just couple-hour long movies so I don't have much to say. I'm saving the other ones for another time.

(and now I'm forgetting the exact order of things...)

I then also rewatched Oban Star-Racers, becuase I recognized it but couldn't remember anything about it. Not really a japanese anime, but it was fun. Last year I had rewatched Code Lyoko again. Both of these shows are French produced I think? But they look kinda anime-esque and were fun watching.

And then somewhere around here (I think?) I had watched Azumanga Daioh. I didn't watch the full thing, but Mr. Kimura is just so funny. A character nicknamed Osaka has this weird southern drawl in the English version (is Osaka full of japanese rednecks? what is even the joke here) but Mr. Kimura makes the whole thing bearable. But I watched most of it in subs. Can't remember where I left off. Also there was a Jojo reference.

Speaking of which, I also checked out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to see what was up. Got through part 1, and some of part 2. It's too frustrating for me watching because of just how evil Dio Brando was. It was like Gargoyles to me, when the villain is just too strong too often I find it hard to watch even when the rest is good (somehow I didn't have this issue with Bionicle...). I plan on going back to Jojo, just not sure when. Thanks Super Best Friends Zaibatsu!

(I'll group these next three together due to similar topics)

I then saw a bunch of shows similar in subject to that manga I love reading. First of which being a show called 'Demi-chan wa kataritai'. Another fun show with a school setting. I especially liked the Dullahan. This was another one that I liked so much I ended up seeking out the manga later. It was great, I really liked the approach of having a scientific justification for the demi-human qualities, really intriguing. Oddly enough the character I found myself relating to was the Biology teacher, because you know, inquiries. Demi-chan was another which I read the manga as well because I needed more, but then that still was not enough so now I've watched both the sub and the dub.

Next of which was Kobayashi-san's Dragon Maid. Popular recent anime. Right now currently I'm reading it's manga, in which Kanna is noticeably less T H I C C. My favorite character is Saikawa, just her crazy in love reactions are the greatest, I love it its hilarious. There was also a Dark Souls reference in the anime (in the manga, screen not shown), I showed that scene to my brother who doesn't care for anime (except he loved Bo-bobo) and he thought it was funny. Its a good anime kinda just centered on family life and things. Also for some reason Tooru's antler horns remind me of Dragon Tales (anyone remember that show? 'cause I fuckin' don't) and also Dragonite (the pokemon) somehow.

Third of which was an anime called A Centaur's Life. I didn't like it nearly as much as some of the other stuff on this list. Wasn't as strong of an impact. Snake-face whatever her name was was cool though. Snake people from Antarctica (yes really)

I also had read a manga named 'My Girlfriend is a T-rex'. Despite the name, not really romantic (or ecchi) in the slightest. Actually its a comedy, for some reason I got a Calvin & Hobbes style of vibe out of it. There isn't an anime adaptation, but I hope it gets one someday. Just funny antics of simple-minded dinosaur-person

(now I've really just forgotten the exact order...)

Uhh, lets see, I watched the Oreimo anime, its incest yeah but that's completely fine for fiction. But lol that ending, poor loser didn't even get the girl, or any girl really. But little sisters playing little sister Visual Novels is weird as hell, yet somehow I hadn't noticed the weirdness until it was over. Clearly I am way too far down the love nectar hole.

Also saw an anime called Kodomo no Jikan. Supposedly infamous because lolis. I don't think lolis look anything like real children but whatever. Basically the teacher's trying not to get fired. I'm not really attached to this anime whatsoever but it was ok I guess.

Oh! yeah there was 'My Bride is a Mermaid'. Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. But at least it wasn't a tragedy! (hehe in-jokes)

Then in like November-December, I was watching the old Zatch Bell anime because I had seen a couple episodes way back when it aired. The english dub of course. It reminds me a little bit of Eternal Eyes for the ps1, even though they aren't actualy that similar. Hey hey, let's dance all day, boing boing. That's grooovy! Kanchome me bambino. Yeah also Zatch Bell's VA is the same as Jimmy Neutron's VA, and Kanchome's VA was the guy who voiced Billy from the Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. Just makes things funnier, but also made the watchin the last episodes impossible because they weren't dubbed and it was weird after having watched ~100 episodes of the dub.

Lastly I saw 'My Little Monster'. I'm starting to run out of stuff to say... It's not that its unoriginal it's just that I had watched a bunch of anime so it seemed fairly similar. The boy's a weirdo who's somehow really strong and really smart because reasons, but is really dumb when it comes to being in society. I don't really know how to describe this anime. There's a chicken?

(and now here we are in 2018, but I kinda glossed over some less-important stuff but this is already pretty rambley)

And it's kinda bleeding over and continuing now. Right now as I'm typing this I'm watching 'Love, Chuunibyo & Other Delusions', which I'm really into right now. I totally did that whole chunibyo stuff, or at least I would have if I wasn't so... full of anxiety, or maybe it's because I was aware that outsider n'wahs would think its dumb. (but Chuunibyo girls are the greatest! I find it super attracive for some reason)

And still on my to-watch list: Boku no Hero Acadamia (Sky High's concept but probably not shitty) , Konosuba (because Megumin reminds me of some of my overspecialized RPG characters) , Citrus (because yuri) , Jojo part 3 (eventually...) , Love Live school idol project (because nico nico nii memes)

TL:DR: what even is anything anymore

This post was edited by Chris H. at February 7, 2018 7:34 PM EST
    • 278 posts
    February 7, 2018 6:40 PM EST

That's almost as long as my story :/

• 168 posts
    February 7, 2018 7:18 PM EST

Wulfhedinn said:

That's almost as long as my story :/

Well, I mean this all happened over the course of like 10 months or so. It also doesn't help that I watch the short series' over the course of about a week.

I probably should've made it look less like a massive wall of text...

This post was edited by Chris H. at February 7, 2018 7:18 PM EST
    • 1441 posts
    February 7, 2018 7:36 PM EST
    I could link you to uncensored Shimoneta, alongside recommending even more fucking anime my fellow Chris
    • 168 posts
    February 7, 2018 7:55 PM EST

Chris said: I could link you to uncensored Shimoneta, alongside recommending even more fucking anime my fellow Chris

No that wont be necessary. I thought the censors in that show actually added to it. I could probably find the uncensored version if I actually tried. Do I need more anime recommendations? I've already got more than I can watch, (I had to pace some of this stuff out because watching it all back to back constantly was doing things to my mind) but feel free to suggest stuff if you want.

• 1441 posts
    February 7, 2018 7:57 PM EST
    "I've already got more than I can watch, (I had to pace some of this stuff out because watching it all back to back constantly was doing things to my mind)"

I know the feeling. KonoSuba is a pretty funny one with currently two seasons. Unlimited Blade Works and Fate/Zero are amazing, dub and sub
    • 1467 posts
    February 7, 2018 7:58 PM EST

Oh boy, you've got me here, I can't even begin to list everything I watched over the last year :P And it's about 1/10th of what my brother watched (he's kind of obsessed, to be honest). Let's see if I can try.

Just finished watching Kakeguri - Compulsive Gambler which was...weird to say the least, came out on Netflix so I decided to give it a shot and was surprisingly hooked on it. Basically the idea is that the characters go to a school where gambling is everything, to the point where they can even gamble their life away (usually not literally, but the student council will create something called a 'Life Plan for you which dictates what you'll do, who you'll marry, etc.). But yeah, bit strange because one of the MC's essentially gets off on gambling, which you know...kind of weird at times.

Watched the new Castlevania series only to be utterly disappointed that it was only 4 episodes because it was pretty damn good while it lasted (not sure if there's a second season coming but it was a pretty interesting series. I've never played any of the Castlevania games so I don't know if it's partially based off of any of them in particular (or at all). It does star Richard Armitage which is pretty cool.

Huh, maybe I mostly just rewatched stuff. I know there's more to this list but I can't entirely think of anything that wasn't me coming back to it. Watched Fate/Apocrypha since the English Dub came out, and since I'm such a hardcore Fate fan I'd say it's probably my Anime of the Year, and naturally along with that I watched Fate/Zero, Fate Stay Night/Unlimited Bladeworks, started watching Fate/Grand Order (movie) that I need to finish...oh and I watched Fate Stay Night/ Heaven's Feel Part 1 this year as well, bloody great movie. 

Uh, rewatched Knights of Sidonia, Code Geass, Sword Art Online (kind of got in the mood for it after watching the Abridged Series), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, a couple others. Yeah, pretty busy year all up though I didn't watch as much new Anime as I usually would. Been constantly hyped up for various Fate series so I never got around to watching that many interesting anime series. 

• 168 posts
    February 7, 2018 8:18 PM EST

Dragonborn1921 said:

Watched the new Castlevania series only to be utterly disappointed that it was only 4 episodes because it was pretty damn good while it lasted (not sure if there's a second season coming but it was a pretty interesting series. I've never played any of the Castlevania games so I don't know if it's partially based off of any of them in particular (or at all). It does star Richard Armitage which is pretty cool.

Oh now this peaks my interest. I'm not a huge Castlevania fan (I've only played Symphony of the Night, but didnt really get that far) but I do like the sort of art style they had going on. I had a vampire phase as a kid... (oddly enough I don't play many vamps in Skyrim) but only the cool vampires! Not that lame sun-walking shit!

Also, is Sword art online, like any good? I've seen parts of it and didn't like it, actually it reminded me of that one Spy Kids movie. I'm not a huge mmo player anyway. I liked Code Lyoko back in the day because it's kinda the same concept of being in a video game, but an mmorpg version? I don't know.

This post was edited by Chris H. at February 7, 2018 8:20 PM EST
    • 1441 posts
    February 7, 2018 8:35 PM EST
    There can be some awesome daywalking vampires, like Blade. Well OK, he's a Dhampir, but that's still half vamp.

SAO is....OK. First season was OK, but jumped the shark, beginning of Season 2 I liked.

You should check out Overlord, pretty well done anime I'm currently watching, as well as The Devil is a Part Timer, basically a funny ass, yet still awesome, anime wherein Satan basically winds up trapped in Earth, and ends up working at an expert if McDonalds, while also fighting or friending beings from his home dimension of Ente Isla.

Youjo Senki is a great anime set in a world where basically, a dickish CEO, after telling God God doesn't exist while on the verge of death, is sent to a land mirroring our own cira 1920's, but with magic added in. Really good

One Punch Man is always a fun one. My Monster Secret is a pretty funny romcom wherein, at the start, the guy who can't keep secrets finally confesses to his crush...only to find out she's a vampire. Stranger things happen

Nyaruko-san is a funny Lovecraftian parodying anime
    • 168 posts
    February 7, 2018 8:53 PM EST

Oh yeah I was also considering Devil is a Part Timer, figured it'd be pretty goofy. I've noticed in quite a few of these animes they just have fake Mcdonald's in them, like its obviously Mcdonalds they just alter the name because brands. I was also looking at Overlord, I'll go to it when I'm in the mood for stuff that's darker (is it actually darker? I imagined it'd be pretty gory).

My Monster Secret... haven't seen it. Name seems familiar though (because its similar?). To be honest, vampires are pretty tame when it comes to monster-human things. But the way you described it, sounds a bit similar to a, uh, hentai I've seen, with confession reversed. But I'm sure the similarities end there.

One Punch Man, is funny but its popularity kinda ruined it for me. But Saitama seems the exact opposite of Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo; Saitama's bald and serious and has no tricks, and Bo-bobo's hairy and does nothing but tricks and random gags. I only watched one episode though, and it was months ago.

Chris said: There can be some awesome daywalking vampires, like Blade. Well OK, he's a Dhampir, but that's still half vamp.

Well, I was mostly referring to those 'I have all of the upside and none of the downside' vampires. Those guys are lame.

This post was edited by Chris H. at February 7, 2018 9:14 PM EST
    • 1467 posts
    February 7, 2018 9:17 PM EST

Also, is Sword art online, like any good? I've seen parts of it and didn't like it, actually it reminded me of that one Spy Kids movie. I'm not a huge mmo player anyway. I liked Code Lyoko back in the day because it's kinda the same concept of being in a video game, but an mmorpg version? I don't know.

Eh, to be honest, I'm in love with the concept but I'm just not a fan of the show, it does some pretty interesting things but it kind of feels like it glosses over the whole 'RPG/MMO' aspect of the concept to randomly break into this one 'arc' where the MC nearly gets with a different girl each episode. Which isn't always a bad thing, but when it kind of just stops the plot for it, and then starts it again for a few episodes and then the first season is over...well it's just a very jarring experience. Very poorly paced, fight scenes aren't anything to write home about...almost feels like it was made for people to write Fanfics about you know.

That said I haven't watched the...third season? Whatever, the bit where it turns into an FPS MMO which I've heard is a lot better than the original show. I'd watch it if you've got the time but there are definitely better anime out there. 

• 321 posts
    February 7, 2018 9:27 PM EST

Finally, a place where we can express our anime binge-watching activities.

As of now, I'm currently watching Fate/Stay Night (yeah, I just started jumping onto the train) and working my way to Fate/Zero then UBW and HF. I'm also watching Love, Chuunibyou & Other Delusions and man, do I wish I was as chuuni as Rikka back in my day (probably not to the extreme though). Also there's a new season of Cardcaptor Sakura called the Clear Card Arc. (Hey, don't judge me! Cardcaptor Sakura was one of the first anime I watched during my childhood even if it is shoujo)

Bookmarked in my Anime Watchlist are Noragami, Stein's Gate, Attack on Titan, Persona 4 the Animation, and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

I already watched KonuSuba. It was a good twist on the typical "reincarnate to an RPG world" trope. Then there was DRRR! or Durarara! which got my attention through its opening songs. The story doesn't make sense at first, but when you watch it halfway through, you get to see the dots connect. Then I watched Baccano! (made by the same person who wrote Durarara!). The show sets in Prohibition Era America (which is a rare setting for an anime) featuring mobsters, thieves, and immortals. Similar to Durarara!, it's only satisfying when you watch it till the end. Oh, and the dub is great and suits the setting. There was also Date-A-Live, watched both seasons and the movie. I did watch Infinite Stratos but abandoned it halfway through the second season because of how oblivious the main character was to his harem. That, and the show has an excessive amount of fan-service, which even I can't stand.

For comedy (other than KonoSuba), I watched Gintama which is the basis of my everyday comedic need. It has parodies, japanese word plays, and pop culture references. While it has 300+ episodes, I do recommend watching through it all. It's not just the comedy that makes the show great. Then there's Seitokai Yakuindomo (Student Council) which is a slice-of-life high school anime. The main characters are the student council. Most of it's humor comes from the sex jokes it makes, which I assure you never runs out. There's also Working!! and Lucky Star!

BTW, I will never ever watch SAO (or anything made by Reiki Kawahara for that matter) as long as Mother's Basement lives, mainly because his rants about how bad the show is is more entertaining than the show itself. 

P.S. This is all the anime that I could remember watching during 2016-2018. I think there was also Zero no Tsukaima, The World God Only Knows, Inuyasha and some of the Studio Ghibli films somewhere during those years

This post was edited by A-Pocky-Hah! at February 7, 2018 9:41 PM EST
    • 278 posts
    February 7, 2018 9:43 PM EST

Anime isn't my taste :/

• 627 posts
    February 7, 2018 9:55 PM EST

Chris H. said:

I wonder if anyone reading knows exactly what I'm rambling on about?

I certainly have an idea as to what you are talking about and if I'm right then there is absolutely no shame in enjoying that :P

• 168 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:07 PM EST

Golden Fool said:

Chris H. said:

I wonder if anyone reading knows exactly what I'm rambling on about?

I certainly have an idea as to what you are talking about and if I'm right then there is absolutely no shame in enjoying that :P

It's not that I'm ashamed of it... it's that I know it's just too weird to talk about or let people IRL know. But I sometimes wish I could because I'm just a massive fan yet have to hide. It feels good to vent, ya know?

• 1441 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:17 PM EST
    Chris, I watch hentai, I will admit to it. I regulary read or watch it. Also, 91 Days is a good, pretty serious, mobster anime

Overlord isn't insanely gory. Drifters is s really good anime wherein historical figures are dragged into a fantasy land to fight in the name of two godlike entities. Hellsing Ultimate is another great one by the same creator
    • 168 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:19 PM EST

A-Pocky-Hah! said:

BTW, I will never ever watch SAO (or anything made by Reiki Kawahara for that matter) as long as Mother's Basement lives, mainly because his rants about how bad the show is is more entertaining than the show itself.

This is kinda the reason why I haven't watched it too. Not because of Mother's Basement (a podcast I presume? or youtube channel?), but because everything I've heard about it. It seems like the concept was gold but the execution was botched super hard. I'm kinda interested in watching it to see if its actually that bad, but I'm also afraid I'll end up binging the entire thing and end up ranting about it myself.

Also I noticed quite a few anime you'd named are also stuff I've heard but not even close to watching because I've got too much stuff already. When I described anime as an inescapabe crevice I meant it, because since April I've just been going from series to series, whenever I try to climb out I just get anime stuff in my Youtube recommendations and I just slide back down, you never do really escape.

In particular, I watched a few episodes of Inuyasha, because that was my friend's favorite anime growing up (even though they don't watch it anymore). But just, man, these hundred episode long series are really hard for me to get into, the only huge animes I could actually watch were ones I had seen growing up while they were still in production.

• 1441 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:30 PM EST
    Check out Your Lie in April, Clannad, and Clannad After Story. Bring tissues
    • 1441 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:30 PM EST
    Check out Your Lie in April, Clannad, and Clannad After Story. Bring tissues
    • 168 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:34 PM EST

Chris said: Chris, I watch hentai, I will admit to it. I regulary read or watch it. Also, 91 Days is a good, pretty serious, mobster anime Overlord isn't insanely gory. Drifters is s really good anime wherein historical figures are dragged into a fantasy land to fight in the name of two godlike entities. Hellsing Ultimate is another great one by the same creator

I also watch hentai, mostly read though. For some reason animation quality in hentai is not as good as other anime usually. If I had included that though then the opening topic would be like twice as long. I just thought it would be against Site guidelines to talk about my collection of [THE GOOD SHIT] in detail. But apparently the rule is for links and pictures/video.  The one I was refering too was called Itadaki Seieki, it's about a half-vampire half-succubus (because OF COURSE), pretty good but the whole pseudo-NTR is a bit weird. (I just had forgotten the name of it)

Good thing about Overlord though, I'll get to watching it just as soon as I git gud with rotating through series rather than binge-watching things back to back.

This post was edited by Chris H. at February 7, 2018 11:38 PM EST
    • 627 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:37 PM EST

Chris H. said:

A-Pocky-Hah! said:

This is kinda the reason why I haven't watched it too. Not because of Mother's Basement (a podcast I presume? or youtube channel?), but because everything I've heard about it. It seems like the concept was gold but the execution was botched super hard. I'm kinda interested in watching it to see if its actually that bad, but I'm also afraid I'll end up binging the entire thing and end up ranting about it myself.

Considering that the abridged version has better writing, character development and pretty much everything else it's fairly easy to tell people not to watch the actual show. Having watched it, I can't bring myself to hate it like so many on the internet do. Now don't mistake that for me claiming its a good show; because it isn't, it's just that it was one of the first anime (not the first, but one of) I watched and so even knowing that it is bad a part of me still looks back on it fondly. Which I think is the case for most of the show's defenders, and honestly that's what I'd have to say is its one saving virtue. No matter how bad the show is, it still somehow manages to introduce a large number of people to anime.

But seriously check out the abridged it is really good and much shorter then an actual season of anime.

• 1467 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:46 PM EST

Considering that the abridged version has better writing, character development and pretty much everything else it's fairly easy to tell people not to watch the actual show. Having watched it, I can't bring myself to hate it like so many on the internet do. Now don't mistake that for me claiming its a good show; because it isn't, it's just that it was one of the first anime (not the first, but one of) I watched and so even knowing that it is bad a part of me still looks back on it fondly. Which I think is the case for most of the show's defenders, and honestly that's what I'd have to say is its one saving virtue. No matter how bad the show is, it still somehow manages to introduce a large number of people to anime.

But seriously check out the abridged it is really good and much shorter then an actual season of anime.

Honestly, the Abridged series is up there as one of the best Anime I've watched :P Which might say a lot about my watching habits, but it's just shockingly good even on a technical level (the voice-acting, the pacing, etc). That and Episode 11 (the finale for the first arc) was absolutely genius in the way it did everything.  I just binge-watched it for the fourth time yesterday and still enjoy it as much as the first time. Episode 13's in production at the moment as well which is great.

But yeah, I think SAO was probably in the first 10 series I'd watched, discounting some of the more obvious stuff like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, etc. The sort of stuff that was impossible to miss at my age as a child, I mean, I can't even figure out how you'd miss some of it if you watched cartoons at any point before or after school. So yeah, SAO is something that I can freely admit to not liking, but it's not the worst ever so I never get why people seem to go after it more than anything else. 
    • 168 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:47 PM EST

Golden Fool said:

Having watched it, I can't bring myself to hate it like so many on the internet do. Now don't mistake that for me claiming its a good show; because it isn't, it's just that it was one of the first anime (not the first, but one of) I watched and so even knowing that it is bad a part of me still looks back on it fondly. Which I think is the case for most of the show's defenders, and honestly that's what I'd have to say is its one saving virtue. No matter how bad the show is, it still somehow manages to introduce a large number of people to anime.

Hah, that's how I feel about Naruto. I enjoy the show, just Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura suck & are terrible. I've never even touched its sequels. I know for a fact a lot of the Naruto fanbase (the part that doesn't do dumb shit) is only still in it because they can't stop watching.

But I think my very first anime was reruns of Pokemon Indigo League? I can't remember that must've been way before I even started school. I didn't even know it was japanese, actually it was so long ago that I didn't know there were languages other than english.

• 321 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:50 PM EST

Dragonborn1921 said:

Honestly, the Abridged series is up there as one of the best Anime I've watched :P Which might say a lot about my watching habits, but it's just shockingly good even on a technical level (the voice-acting, the pacing, etc). That and Episode 11 (the finale for the first arc) was absolutely genius in the way it did everything.  I just binge-watched it for the fourth time yesterday and still enjoy it as much as the first time. Episode 13's in production at the moment as well which is great.

But yeah, I think SAO was probably in the first 10 series I'd watched, discounting some of the more obvious stuff like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, etc. The sort of stuff that was impossible to miss at my age as a child, I mean, I can't even figure out how you'd miss some of it if you watched cartoons at any point before or after school. So yeah, SAO is something that I can freely admit to not liking, but it's not the worst ever so I never get why people seem to go after it more than anything else. 

Mother's Basement actually made a video explaning why many people love SAO without divulging into his usual rant about the show.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:51 PM EST

Dragonborn1921 said:

Oh boy, you've got me here, I can't even begin to list everything I watched over the last year :P And it's about 1/10th of what my brother watched (he's kind of obsessed, to be honest). Let's see if I can try.

Just finished watching Kakeguri - Compulsive Gambler which was...weird to say the least, came out on Netflix so I decided to give it a shot and was surprisingly hooked on it. Basically the idea is that the characters go to a school where gambling is everything, to the point where they can even gamble their life away (usually not literally, but the student council will create something called a 'Life Plan for you which dictates what you'll do, who you'll marry, etc.). But yeah, bit strange because one of the MC's essentially gets off on gambling, which you know...kind of weird at times.

Huh, maybe I mostly just rewatched stuff. I know there's more to this list but I can't entirely think of anything that wasn't me coming back to it. Watched Fate/Apocrypha since the English Dub came out, and since I'm such a hardcore Fate fan I'd say it's probably my Anime of the Year, and naturally along with that I watched Fate/Zero, Fate Stay Night/Unlimited Bladeworks, started watching Fate/Grand Order (movie) that I need to finish...oh and I watched Fate Stay Night/ Heaven's Feel Part 1 this year as well, bloody great movie. 

Uh, rewatched Knights of Sidonia, Code Geass, Sword Art Online (kind of got in the mood for it after watching the Abridged Series), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, a couple others. Yeah, pretty busy year all up though I didn't watch as much new Anime as I usually would. Been constantly hyped up for various Fate series so I never got around to watching that many interesting anime series. 

Castlevania is the only anime I watched last year. I liked it. There's a second season coming in the second semester of 2018, or maybe late first semester, I'm not sure. It will have eight episodes, so that's an improvement.