Forums » Introduce Yourself

A Spider Ate My Post

• 278 posts
    February 6, 2018 11:37 PM EST

Well then, welcome to the Vault. The name's Wulfhedinn, or Wulf for short - which everyone uses :) - and I mostly write in the Story Corner but I dabble rarely in Building. I joined about a year ago and I've loved every moment of it. Everyone on the Vault is really nice and awesome people and I really hope you enjoy your time here. 

Also, Paris by Magic Man is amazing!

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at February 6, 2018 11:39 PM EST
    • 69 posts
    February 7, 2018 12:09 AM EST

Welcome llani, good to have you! So I go by Flamez most of the time, after all The Amazing Flaming Sword is a bit to much to type out every time you great me, but no, seriously. Flamez :P

I'm a co-host over in the Fallout Hub with my partner in crime DeltaFox, running everything from lore type events to survival logs of prewar citizens, or raiders in the wastes. If you're interested in writting something up I'd recommend The Story Corner, or pop on over to our little place when we put out the next event!

I'm 17, play mostly MOBA's, MMORPGs, and the games that brought me here; Elder Scrolls and Fallout series that is.

I can start off explaining the basics of what a build is: I find that it is a great way to stretch your creative muscles and, much like painting, is a skill you normally acquire over time. Anyone is welcome to try their hand at building. It is best to use the Workshop when you're starting out and even 'elite,' everyone makes mistakes. Back to the explanation though; they are practically characters made for games like ES, or Fallout, to have other people view and enjoy. The goal I guess, is really just to have fun and get a sense of pride in your work, but it's also important for the builds to be detailed incase others of the community would like to follow your build as a 'guide' on a similar character.

Hope I managed to explain everything enough, but some of the long time Vaulters like Dragonborn, MottySkills, Henson, Shinjin; really any of the fabulous people on here could provide a more clear "definition," but building probably means something different to nearly everyone. Think I hit the main points though. I'll quite my blabbering and let you get back to the site now. If you have any questions don't feel shy in asking me, or any of the others ;-)

This post was edited by FlamezSword at February 7, 2018 12:12 AM EST
    • 1595 posts
    February 7, 2018 12:21 AM EST

Ha! I totally hear you on the Nirnroot :D I think if that were my alarm clock's sound, I'd be guaranteed wake up happy each day alert and seeking that plant to add to the dozens already in my character's alchemy chest, so conditioned by now to pick 'em.

Welcome to the site, btw :) I cannot agree more on the fanfic thing. Doing for the joy of doing with no motive is the purest expression of creativity, in my view. In addition to builds and stories, there is the option to combine them both in the form of RP Profiles which are like write-ups of your character with a focus on who they are and what motivates them over a build which is a bit more focussed on how to play that character. Guys like Wulf and Flamez above are knowledgable about such things, while Zon is the RP Host who can help more with that if it interests you :)

Have fun, feel free to drop me a line if you ever need anything :)

This post was edited by Paws at February 7, 2018 12:22 AM EST
    • 321 posts
    February 7, 2018 1:01 AM EST

Well, at least it wasn't a dog that ate your post. :P

Jokes aside, welcome to TamrielVault. My name's A-Pocky-Hah! (which is a pun of Apocrypha), but I also go by the name of Kaiser and Axius. I'm a writer too, but I spend most of the time procras planning my stories. If you're interested in builds, there's a lot you can find here, all of them creative in their own way.

If you're interested in the lore of TES, we have an dedicated archive as well as help from our resident lore meisters. (Just make sure to be prepared for some meta-stuff along the way)

Anyways, have fun, enjoy yourself, and have a Pocky.

• 197 posts
    February 7, 2018 1:12 AM EST

Wulfhedinn said:

Well then, welcome to the Vault. The name's Wulfhedinn, or Wulf for short - which everyone uses :) - and I mostly write in the Story Corner but I dabble rarely in Building. I joined about a year ago and I've loved every moment of it. Everyone on the Vault is really nice and awesome people and I really hope you enjoy your time here. 

Also, Paris by Magic Man is amazing!

ooh, thanks! I’ll have to check that one out tomorrow. My husband and I are finishing Altered Carbon tonight. 

• 197 posts
    February 7, 2018 1:14 AM EST

FlamezSword said:

Welcome llani, good to have you! So I go by Flamez most of the time, after all The Amazing Flaming Sword is a bit to much to type out every time you great me, but no, seriously. Flamez :P

I'm a co-host over in the Fallout Hub with my partner in crime DeltaFox, running everything from lore type events to survival logs of prewar citizens, or raiders in the wastes. If you're interested in writting something up I'd recommend The Story Corner, or pop on over to our little place when we put out the next event!

I'm 17, play mostly MOBA's, MMORPGs, and the games that brought me here; Elder Scrolls and Fallout series that is.

I can start off explaining the basics of what a build is: I find that it is a great way to stretch your creative muscles and, much like painting, is a skill you normally acquire over time. Anyone is welcome to try their hand at building. It is best to use the Workshop when you're starting out and even 'elite,' everyone makes mistakes. Back to the explanation though; they are practically characters made for games like ES, or Fallout, to have other people view and enjoy. The goal I guess, is really just to have fun and get a sense of pride in your work, but it's also important for the builds to be detailed incase others of the community would like to follow your build as a 'guide' on a similar character.

Hope I managed to explain everything enough, but some of the long time Vaulters like Dragonborn, MottySkills, Henson, Shinjin; really any of the fabulous people on here could provide a more clear "definition," but building probably means something different to nearly everyone. Think I hit the main points though. I'll quite my blabbering and let you get back to the site now. If you have any questions don't feel shy in asking me, or any of the others ;-)

So is it a way you play your game? Like you record things you do and how you play through the game and the result is a build? Ive never thought of it that way, I just play and do random things In game. They sure are cool, though. 

and thank you, i’m very glad to be here!

• 197 posts
    February 7, 2018 1:16 AM EST

Paws said:

Ha! I totally hear you on the Nirnroot :D I think if that were my alarm clock's sound, I'd be guaranteed wake up happy each day alert and seeking that plant to add to the dozens already in my character's alchemy chest, so conditioned by now to pick 'em.

Welcome to the site, btw :) I cannot agree more on the fanfic thing. Doing for the joy of doing with no motive is the purest expression of creativity, in my view. In addition to builds and stories, there is the option to combine them both in the form of RP Profiles which are like write-ups of your character with a focus on who they are and what motivates them over a build which is a bit more focussed on how to play that character. Guys like Wulf and Flamez above are knowledgable about such things, while Zon is the RP Host who can help more with that if it interests you :)

Have fun, feel free to drop me a line if you ever need anything :)

yes, the nirnroot chime would be the best alarm clock sound. I was disappointed in skyrim when I couldn’t Plant nirnroot in my greenhouse. I wanted a whole room full of that stuff! 

And thanks! :)

• 197 posts
    February 7, 2018 1:19 AM EST

@a-pocky-hah!

i found TSC and the lore discussions, and yes, sounds like fun! I thought your name sounded a lot like how the minister in the princess bride would pronounce apocrypha, but now that i see the pocky sticks, it makes sense. the strawberry ones are my favorite. :)

This post was edited by ilanisilver at February 7, 2018 1:20 AM EST
    • 284 posts
    February 7, 2018 4:03 AM EST

Hey Ilani, welcome to the Vault. Name's DeltaFox but everyone calls me Delta. I run the Fallout Hub with Flamez as he already pointed out.

Anyway, a little about me. I'm 20 years old and I live in the European country of Croatia, the most beautiful country this side of the Atlantic. I like to hop around the Site, mostly spending my time in the Fallout section and TSC. I also find TES Lore to be quite mindblowing. (seriously. Once he gets started, Teineeva won't shut up for hours)

Also, I like to listen to Sabaton.

• 44 posts
    February 7, 2018 4:06 AM EST

Oh no, a spider! Hello and welcome! :) It's good to see more writers coming this way.

I'm hanging around The Story Corner mostly, but also posting pictures of Skyrim and my characters. I'm Dunmer lover, too. :D Writing is my passion as I'm trying to write a fantasy book.

If I'm not active here that means I'm writing or preparing a chapter, or playing Skyrim or Elder Scrolls Online. xD I'm reading fanfics, but it's slow. Yesterday, I was trying to take pictures for the next long story, but Skyrim kept crashing on. Managed to take some though.

• 585 posts
    February 7, 2018 4:28 AM EST

Nice to meet you, Ilani, and welcome to the Vault!

Little bit about me seeing as everyone else is doing it: I'm Zonnonn, but you can call me Zon or Z or whatever the hell you want - if I know it's me I'll respond! As Phil (Paws) has kindly mentioned I'm the host over at Roleplaying, which is basically a place to talk about how to bring more depth to a character - bring them to life if you will (I like to say that because it makes it sound fancier than it is). I've just turned 18, am from the frozen north of England (ie the best bit) and although I don't peruse as much as I should, you can find me around most parts of the site, so if you have a question don't hesitate to ask.

Paws said:

In addition to builds and stories, there is the option to combine them both in the form of RP Profiles which are like write-ups of your character with a focus on who they are and what motivates them over a build which is a bit more focussed on how to play that character. Guys like Wulf and Flamez above are knowledgable about such things, while Zon is the RP Host who can help more with that if it interests you :) 

Thanks for doing my plugging for me Phil! :P

This post was edited by Zonnonn at February 7, 2018 4:30 AM EST
    • 69 posts
    February 7, 2018 6:48 AM EST

Ilanisilver said:

So is it a way you play your game? Like you record things you do and how you play through the game and the result is a build? Ive never thought of it that way, I just play and do random things In game. They sure are cool, though. 

and thank you, i’m very glad to be here!

Yep, that's the jist of it. i mostly just use a word document to write some things down and "shape" my character Before I play him/her to test out how I want their morals, weapon skills, profession, and backstory to be. If you don't like the idea you've come up with, or think it should be changed by some circumstance it's up to you. Builds are also usually around the 20-upper 50s side as well depending, of course, on your skillset you want them to have.

I'll link in the Rules and Guides for the Skyrim and Fallout sections once I get home from school. About to leave my house now. 

• 700 posts
    February 7, 2018 3:49 PM EST

Welcome to the site. So what led to you picking up Oblivion? Going from Space Invaders to the greatest open world RPG of its time is quite the leap. 

As for builds...a build is just a defined set of skills, perks, tactics, and roleplay that allow a player to experience a character's journey through Skyrim. That's how I'd define it, though it's probably a weak definition as I don't think I've ever had to define it before. 

Something good that happened to me today was that I finally managed to get the buzzing out of one of my banjo strings. Thing was driving me nuts. And because I love sharing music, here. Found this group last night. Hope you like fiddlin' :D

This post was edited by Legion at February 7, 2018 3:50 PM EST
    • 197 posts
    February 17, 2018 1:26 AM EST

DeltaFox said:

Hey Ilani, welcome to the Vault. Name's DeltaFox but everyone calls me Delta. I run the Fallout Hub with Flamez as he already pointed out.

Anyway, a little about me. I'm 20 years old and I live in the European country of Croatia, the most beautiful country this side of the Atlantic. I like to hop around the Site, mostly spending my time in the Fallout section and TSC. I also find TES Lore to be quite mindblowing. (seriously. Once he gets started, Teineeva won't shut up for hours)

Also, I like to listen to Sabaton.

I have a friend who married a man from Croatia, and their pictures support your claim. It is absolutely gorgeous! And yes, TESlore could be a college course. I love it. I’ll have to check out Sabaton, too. Thanks! 

• 197 posts
    February 17, 2018 1:30 AM EST

Caladran said:

Oh no, a spider! Hello and welcome! :) It's good to see more writers coming this way.

I'm hanging around The Story Corner mostly, but also posting pictures of Skyrim and my characters. I'm Dunmer lover, too. :D Writing is my passion as I'm trying to write a fantasy book.

If I'm not active here that means I'm writing or preparing a chapter, or playing Skyrim or Elder Scrolls Online. xD I'm reading fanfics, but it's slow. Yesterday, I was trying to take pictures for the next long story, but Skyrim kept crashing on. Managed to take some though.

you’re writing fanfic as well as an original? That’s so much! What’s it’s about? what’s Your world like? 

• 197 posts
    February 17, 2018 1:32 AM EST

Zonnonn said:

Nice to meet you, Ilani, and welcome to the Vault!

Little bit about me seeing as everyone else is doing it: I'm Zonnonn, but you can call me Zon or Z or whatever the hell you want - if I know it's me I'll respond! As Phil (Paws) has kindly mentioned I'm the host over at Roleplaying, which is basically a place to talk about how to bring more depth to a character - bring them to life if you will (I like to say that because it makes it sound fancier than it is). I've just turned 18, am from the frozen north of England (ie the best bit) and although I don't peruse as much as I should, you can find me around most parts of the site, so if you have a question don't hesitate to ask.

very cool, nice to meet you too! I’ve never been to England, although it’s on my list, and the frozen north sounds great. I always have to live in hot places here, so the frozen north sounds fantastic. 

• 197 posts
    February 17, 2018 1:42 AM EST

Legion said:

Welcome to the site. So what led to you picking up Oblivion? Going from Space Invaders to the greatest open world RPG of its time is quite the leap. 

As for builds...a build is just a defined set of skills, perks, tactics, and roleplay that allow a player to experience a character's journey through Skyrim. That's how I'd define it, though it's probably a weak definition as I don't think I've ever had to define it before. 

Something good that happened to me today was that I finally managed to get the buzzing out of one of my banjo strings. Thing was driving me nuts. And because I love sharing music, here. Found this group last night. Hope you like fiddlin' :D

i love that music. You play banjo? I’m from north carolina in the US (no idea where everyone’s From, so I figured I’d be specific) so yes, I grew up on music like that. My relatives used to come over on weekends and play fiddle and banjo and mandolin. I don’t play anything but piano, but i’d Always sing. last christmas I discovered a bluegrassy version of Auld Lang Syne by Andrew bird, and I can’t stop listening to it, still. 

My ex-husband introduced me to Oblivion. He played Guild Wars and wanted me to play something too so i’d Understand why he liked gaming so much, so he got it for me, and the guidebook, and within a week, I was hooked. I’d just never had time for games before, and none of my friends played, so it never came up. My husband plays a few marvel games, so he’s absolutely cool with my Skyrim obsession. :) and yes, it was a leap. it took hours for me to get used to the controllers. And i felt like I was moving long after I stopped playing and went to bed. 

I”ve never tried making my character be anything specific in Skyrim. I’m honestly a terrible player, so I do what I can to survive, which means carrying around at least 70 potions at a time so I can survive a dragon attack. That’s not to say I don’t have fun - i do. I’m just really bad. blaming it on the learning curve! 

• 700 posts
    February 18, 2018 4:14 PM EST

Ilanisilver said: 

i love that music. You play banjo? I’m from north carolina in the US (no idea where everyone’s From, so I figured I’d be specific) so yes, I grew up on music like that. My relatives used to come over on weekends and play fiddle and banjo and mandolin. I don’t play anything but piano, but i’d Always sing. last christmas I discovered a bluegrassy version of Auld Lang Syne by Andrew bird, and I can’t stop listening to it, still. 

My ex-husband introduced me to Oblivion. He played Guild Wars and wanted me to play something too so i’d Understand why he liked gaming so much, so he got it for me, and the guidebook, and within a week, I was hooked. I’d just never had time for games before, and none of my friends played, so it never came up. My husband plays a few marvel games, so he’s absolutely cool with my Skyrim obsession. :) and yes, it was a leap. it took hours for me to get used to the controllers. And i felt like I was moving long after I stopped playing and went to bed. 

I”ve never tried making my character be anything specific in Skyrim. I’m honestly a terrible player, so I do what I can to survive, which means carrying around at least 70 potions at a time so I can survive a dragon attack. That’s not to say I don’t have fun - i do. I’m just really bad. blaming it on the learning curve! 

I do play banjo! Or rather, I'm learning to. It's a 5 string open back, and I play Scruggs style. That's cool that you grew up around that music though. It often seems to have that homey, familial root where folks come together and jam. Do you still sing? And I'll try to find that Auld Lang Syne song. 

Hooked in a week, huh? :D That sounds about right for an ES game. Glad your husband understands too. Next step is to get him hooked! And really, specific characters are overrated. Having fun first is what matters. "Builds" are more of an exception in my experience. They're things that arise naturally as you find interesting gameplay and roleplay synergies, and decide, "hey, I think other people would enjoy this." 

Also, I think you might enjoy this. I just found them a few days ago. 

p.s.

When do you and your family go back home? 

This post was edited by Legion at February 18, 2018 4:15 PM EST
    • 197 posts
    February 22, 2018 11:52 AM EST
    We are home. We got home yesterday morning, and it immediately started snowing. The kid’s out of school, and I’m subsisting on pots of coffee.

I do still sing, but just for myself. It’s difficult finding people to sing with as an adult, outlets that don’t involve church. At least where I live. There’s a civic choir, but it’s an hour away, and with my husband’s weird work schedule, it’s difficult to commit to anything like that. But I sing for myself and my daughter, and send recordings to my mom, stuff like that.

And yes, I saw that song on one of the other threads and looked it up. They’re good! Canadian bluegrass. There’s a Canadian bluegrassy group called the Wailin Jenny’s you might like. They’re fantastic.

Lol, my husband only plays social games. And I only play single player games. Which is fine, because we can sit together and play our respective games and still have conversations about them. :)